Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 2:48:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

After Gary’s presser I think it seems likely we can assume the #Vikings will not draft a QB early in April.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 4:00:02 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

After Gary’s presser I think it seems likely we can assume the #Vikings will not draft a QB early in April.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

With all of the current regime on final year of their contract its highly unlikely any moves will be made that have an eye on future of team.

Most all moves will be a win now mantra, maximize what can be put together this year deal to prove they deserve a new contract for future.
Post #: 6427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 5:06:07 PM   
Dave Odle

This is maybe a thought out of left field, but how do you guys feel about Kubiak taking over as HC and Adam Zimmer staying at D coordinator? I don't mind Kubiak drafting our next QBOTF and he doesn't seem washed up like Norv Turner running an offense.

We could still keep a semblance of our D intact and Adam would have a year under his belt, supervised by Zim.

For this draft, I'd like to see a stud O lineman or D lineman in the 1st.

Check out Weaver from Boise State in the draft. He is a beast.

< Message edited by Dave Odle -- 2/12/2020 5:22:27 PM >

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 6428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 5:19:39 PM   
Dave Odle

Duplicate

< Message edited by Dave Odle -- 2/12/2020 5:21:11 PM >

Post #: 6429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 5:28:00 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

This is maybe a thought out of left field, but how do you guys feel about Kubiak taking over as HC and Adam Zimmer staying at D coordinator? I don't mind Kubiak drafting our next QBOTF and he doesn't seem washed up like Norv Turner running an offense.

We could still keep a semblance of our D intact and Adam would have a year under his belt, supervised by Zim.

Is this assuming we retain Spielman as GM?

If Rick stays on as GM I could see his vision of keeping as much intact and doing a Vikings remodel rather than a rebuild of both coaching as well as team pieces.

IF Rick leaves its all out the window, both coaching and franchise players will be in mold of what new GM sees for Vikings future as sold to the Wilfs and signed off on.
Post #: 6430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 5:42:01 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Is this assuming we retain Spielman as GM?

If Rick stays on as GM I could see his vision of keeping as much intact and doing a Vikings remodel rather than a rebuild of both coaching as well as team pieces.

IF Rick leaves its all out the window, both coaching and franchise players will be in mold of what new GM sees for Vikings future as sold to the Wilfs and signed off on.

Excellent point. I was thinking if Spielman stayed and it wasn't a total rebuild. I see no point in trying to draft our QBOTF this year if the first round clears out of QB's the way draft experts are talking. Maybe a mid round prospect would be good. The idea of Cousins going down and Mannion holding the reigns was frightening. I'd sign a capable veteran to back up this next year and take a flyer on a QB prospect in the draft.

Post #: 6431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 6:30:51 PM   
Pager

quote:

Some good points and direction in this article we all know need to be made...

Elephant in room is still Diggs and his happiness in Minnesota... Tough to advocate moving on, but he has upside in trade value NOW... before he blows up again and potentially forces himself out of MN... Pure speculation/ vision but would drafting Diggs brother have any positive effect on his attitude and moping ways?

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/vikings_must_rebuild_defense_to_be_seen_as_super_bowl_contenders/s1_12680_31287182

I like the idea of signing Burns to a 1 yr prove it deal. Had 1 legit shutdown year. Low risk, high upside. I think 1 of Burns or Holten Hill would pan out. Boyd/Hughes/Burns/Hill is actually the start of a decent CB room. If you can resign Mac or Waynes to a team friendly deal, you no longer have to draft a CB in the first 4 rounds.

Solid read.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 6:46:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think if the Wilf's move on from Spielman, Patton would more than likely be the new GM.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 6:48:14 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

No Sense of humor on Sugar Daddy Zimmers new squeeze

I married a gal 15 years younger than myself... So I have no room talk, but she was no cover model twenty five years my youth... ( jealous... )

If he’s significantly older, she’s got daddy issues, They usually call them sugar babies, because these are generally women seeking financial arrangements if the man is in his forties or older, unless he’s a George Clooney type. Most of these men seeking younger women aren’t.

No young woman looks at a middle aged man with a saggy bottom and changing body and says, “Wow! I gotta have that.”

Look at her pix... Way to go Zimm! This shouldnt be any distraction to his game day prep and execution...

https://sontlive.com/2020/02/05/who-would-have-known-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer-is-dating-a-model/

SHE LOOKS DAMN GOOD IN PURPLE !

Be sure and consult a doctor if you have an erection that lasts 4 hours or longer

That only happens for him when Cousins has a bad game...

Post #: 6434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 7:25:32 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

No Sense of humor on Sugar Daddy Zimmers new squeeze

I married a gal 15 years younger than myself... So I have no room talk, but she was no cover model twenty five years my youth... ( jealous... )

If he’s significantly older, she’s got daddy issues, They usually call them sugar babies, because these are generally women seeking financial arrangements if the man is in his forties or older, unless he’s a George Clooney type. Most of these men seeking younger women aren’t.

No young woman looks at a middle aged man with a saggy bottom and changing body and says, “Wow! I gotta have that.”

Look at her pix... Way to go Zimm! This shouldnt be any distraction to his game day prep and execution...

https://sontlive.com/2020/02/05/who-would-have-known-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer-is-dating-a-model/

SHE LOOKS DAMN GOOD IN PURPLE !

Be sure and consult a doctor if you have an erection that lasts 4 hours or longer

That only happens for him when Cousins has a bad game...

I totally rethought my my stance on Kirk Cousins when I saw Trump called him after Giants win and they talked about upcomming rally
Post #: 6435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/12/2020 7:30:13 PM   
Bill Jandro

Been pretty quiet on the Wilf's part.

I know they gave Zim the dreaded vote of confidence but it's looking like both Zim and Spielman are going in to this year as lame ducks.

Post #: 6436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 6:39:01 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I know they gave Zim the dreaded vote of confidence but it's looking like both Zim and Spielman are going in to this year as lame ducks.

Last year, Zimmer was extended at the end of February and Spielman at the end of March.
Post #: 6437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 7:53:36 AM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Some good points and direction in this article we all know need to be made...

Elephant in room is still Diggs and his happiness in Minnesota... Tough to advocate moving on, but he has upside in trade value NOW... before he blows up again and potentially forces himself out of MN... Pure speculation/ vision but would drafting Diggs brother have any positive effect on his attitude and moping ways?

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/vikings_must_rebuild_defense_to_be_seen_as_super_bowl_contenders/s1_12680_31287182

I like the idea of signing Burns to a 1 yr prove it deal. Had 1 legit shutdown year. Low risk, high upside. I think 1 of Burns or Holten Hill would pan out. Boyd/Hughes/Burns/Hill is actually the start of a decent CB room. If you can resign Mac or Waynes to a team friendly deal, you no longer have to draft a CB in the first 4 rounds.

Solid read.

That is a good read. I also think it would be a mistake to break the bank on Dalvin Cook. He's a phenomenal player, but his durability concerns me. I'd rather sign a veteran to pair w/ Mattison.

That trade w/ the Jets involving S Adams for Cook would be awesome, but I don't think we could pry him away. The Cowboys tried hard and failed.

Post #: 6438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 8:40:54 AM   
SoMnFan

Barnwell's 5 off-season moves for each team …

Minnesota Vikings
Projected 2020 cap space: -$12.3 million
1. Create some cap space. Just in case you missed that minus symbol above, the Vikings are in a tight cap squeeze. While they aren't going to end up in the sort of apocalyptic cut spree that teams like the Ravens and Titans dealt with 15 years ago, general manager Rick Spielman & Co. have some work to do over the next few weeks.
Minnesota would instantly get under the cap if Everson Griffen exercises his right to opt out of his deal, which would free up $13 million in room. It would also deprive the Vikings of a productive defender, as he racked up eight sacks and 24 knockdowns during the regular season and was excellent during the two-game playoff run. Griffen has said he wants to stay with the team, and the Vikings probably aren't ready to stick Ifeadi Odenigbo into the starting lineup. My guess is that the two sides agree to terms on a modified contract and Griffen stays.
The next move would be to cut cornerback Xavier Rhodes, who has struggled mightily over the past two seasons and was moved in and out of the lineup at times in 2019. The Vikings will create $8.1 million in cap space by cutting the 2013 first-round pick, which has sadly become an inevitability. Rhodes could come back on a much smaller deal, but a split probably makes sense for both sides at this point.
Minnesota typically doesn't like to restructure deals to create cap space, but unless it wants to cut someone like Linval Joseph (who would free up $10.4 million in room) or Kyle Rudolph ($3.7 million) or trade Stefon Diggs ($5.5 million), it might not have a choice if it wants to create meaningful cap space. There's one player whose cap hit could fall ...
2. Work on a Kirk Cousins extension. I'm going to save a lengthier Cousins debate for another day. Briefly, in the playoffs, he was good enough to beat Drew Brees and the Saints at home and was horribly overmatched against the 49ers' pass rush in a game in which I don't think any quarterback would have played well. The Vikings have gotten about what they should have expected when they signed Cousins to a three-year, $84 million deal in 2018.
You might remember that he signed a deal that was fully guaranteed at the time of signing. The Vikings structured the deal with a $3 million signing bonus and huge base salaries of $22.5 million, $27.5 million and $29.5 million. There wasn't any reason to hide salary at the end of the deal because it was all guaranteed anyway, but it's not the easiest contract structure for cap purposes. Cousins has the third-largest cap hit in all of football at $31 million.
If the Vikings want to negotiate a new deal with him, I'm not sure whether he would attempt or expect to get a second fully guaranteed deal. Regardless of what he wants, they should be able to use the bonus structure to reduce his cap hit for 2020. Let's say Cousins wants to sign a three-year, $100 million extension, which would mean the Vikings would have to pay a total of $129.5 million to him over the next four years. They could give him a $40 million signing bonus and spread the money out this way while creating much-needed cap space now:
How Cousins' Contract Could Look
Year
Base Salary
Signing Bonus
Cap Hit
$15 million
$10 million
$25 million
$19.5 million
$10 million
$29.5 million
$25 million
$10 million
$35 million
$30 million
$10 million
$40 million
Totals
$89.5 million
$40 million
$129.5 million
While I brought up the idea of Cousins potentially heading somewhere via trade in my offseason dominoes piece, he has a full no-trade clause and would need to approve any deal. If the Vikings want to reduce his cap hold, it will almost surely have to be via an extension.
3. Replenish the secondary. In addition to the pending release of Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander are both free agents. Anthony Harris, who impressed in his first year as a starting safety, is also a free agent. Those four players combined for 3,004 defensive snaps last season. The Vikings have young corners Mike Hughes, Holton Hill and Kris Boyd, star safety Harrison Smith, and virtually nothing of note behind them.
I don't think the Vikings will keep Waynes or Alexander. Harris seems more plausible, but they might not want to invest significant money in a second safety given their roster issues elsewhere. Mike Zimmer has a long track record of working with teams who use first-round picks at cornerback, which means the team could take a corner with the 25th overall pick in April's draft.
Zimmer coaxed six seasons out of veteran corner Terence Newman when most thought he was toast after his time in Dallas, and the Vikings could go after at least one reclamation project at the position this offseason. In addition to free agents like Aqib Talib and Johnathan Joseph, we're likely to see players like Josh Norman and Trumaine Johnson become cap casualties. Don't be surprised if one of those guys goes to training camp in Minnesota.
4. Re-sign Dan Bailey. After the Blair Walsh fiasco and a year and a half with Kai Forbath, the Vikings were delighted to sign Bailey after the longtime Cowboys kicker was cut by Dallas in camp. He promptly hit 75% of his field goals in 2018. When he struggled in training camp last summer, the Vikings traded a fifth-round pick to the Ravens for Kaare Vedvik, only to cut Vedvik after he missed three kicks in the preseason.
Bailey promptly went 27-of-29 on field goal tries, and while he missed four of his 44 extra points, he was one of the better kickers in football on scoring plays. Past performance isn't indicative of future results for kickers, as the Vikings know very well, but there's nobody available who is a clear upgrade on Bailey.
5. Don't re-sign Dalvin Cook to a huge extension. I covered this a bit in my column on running back contracts, but as talented as Cook is, he profiles as a dangerous candidate for a second contract. He has a track record of injuries and only really broke out when he was dropped into a Gary Kubiak/Kyle Shanahan offense, which has a long track record of making just about every back it touches look like superstars.

Minnesota's cap situation makes this an even easier decision. The best thing for the team is to let Cook play out the final year of his rookie deal, move on and turn the job over to Alexander Mattison. Teams typically ignore history, assume their guy is the exception and pay their standout back before regretting it shortly thereafter. The Vikings are in such a tight cap bind that they might be forced to listen to history.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 2/13/2020 8:42:07 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 8:50:28 AM   
Bill Jandro

Not liking Barnwell's Cousin ext idea

Post #: 6440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 8:51:31 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Last year, Zimmer was extended at the end of February and Spielman at the end of March.

Thanks for looking that up. I thought it was done right away. So ext could still be in play.

Post #: 6441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 3:50:45 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for looking that up. I thought it was done right away. So ext could still be in play.

I would guess that Zimmer is a bit annoyed by not having an extension done at this point. During one of his post-season press conferences, he was asked whether he felt his job was at risk, and he said he thought the speculation was ridiculous given that they won 10 games. Reminded me of one of Garrison Keillor's skits where he talks about the Minnesota mindset that things are "good enough".
Post #: 6442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 4:45:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm a fan of Daniel Jeremiah and I look forward to his pre-draft evaluations.
(Sorry for the long link address)
https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098476/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-10?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dtop-50-draft-prospects%3Bplyr%3Djoshua_jacobs&p.ct=Top+50&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/13/2020 7:30:56 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would guess that Zimmer is a bit annoyed by not having an extension done at this point. During one of his post-season press conferences, he was asked whether he felt his job was at risk, and he said he thought the speculation was ridiculous given that they won 10 games. Reminded me of one of Garrison Keillor's skits where he talks about the Minnesota mindset that things are "good enough".

John fox was 46-18 as head coach in Denver. They sent him packing and then they win a super bowl.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/14/2020 11:20:31 PM   
JT2

Hypothetically, how long do you hold on to a coach that wins 10 games every year, but never gets you to the Super Bowl?
Indefinitely? Forever? Seriously, how long?

It's an exclusive gig. You're compensated well. You find a way to get your offspring paid. Your goal is to lead your team to a championship. That's the chase, right?

What, you don't think coaches aren't concerned about themselves and their career, paycheck and legacy?

Hey, go win. Being better than average doesn't impress me. Kicking FG's down by 24 doesn't impress me either.

Have we lost all hope on achieving The goal? We good with just being good?

Zimmer (and Spielman) has been here long enough that expectations should be really high. Win. Be the best. Do that. You're paid to do that. Don't care at all about your 10 win seasons. What's good for him, isn't what's good for us.
Post #: 6445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2020 10:28:00 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

John fox was 46-18 as head coach in Denver. They sent him packing and then they win a super bowl.

So the good news for us is they won SB with Kubiak.
Post #: 6446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2020 11:54:36 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Hypothetically, how long do you hold on to a coach that wins 10 games every year, but never gets you to the Super Bowl?
Indefinitely? Forever? Seriously, how long?

It's an exclusive gig. You're compensated well. You find a way to get your offspring paid. Your goal is to lead your team to a championship. That's the chase, right?

What, you don't think coaches aren't concerned about themselves and their career, paycheck and legacy?

Hey, go win. Being better than average doesn't impress me. Kicking FG's down by 24 doesn't impress me either.

Have we lost all hope on achieving The goal? We good with just being good?

Zimmer (and Spielman) has been here long enough that expectations should be really high. Win. Be the best. Do that. You're paid to do that. Don't care at all about your 10 win seasons. What's good for him, isn't what's good for us.

So under Zimmer, every other year the Vikings do just a couple games better than average in wins rather than hanging around 500...

And the head coach feels that entitles him to prolonged gig and free reign of hiring family and friends to enhance his coaching value...

Answer this, is it Zimmer's coaching prowess and skillset willing the team to those extra couple wins above average?

Or does the talent of the team get those couple wins in spite of the coaching.

Does Zimmer do more with less? then he is a great head coach who is worth extending...

If a highly talented roster consistently finishes 500 or just above and you can look back at specific games where coaching had a direct effect on outcome of a Loss rather than Wins, then its time to consider a change.

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/15/2020 12:00:20 PM >
Post #: 6447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/15/2020 6:42:18 PM   
David F.

Dating a model 25 years younger than him completes all the checkboxes of a wanna-be tough guy. I couldn’t even guess as to how insecure he is.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/16/2020 4:56:53 AM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Dating a model 25 years younger than him completes all the checkboxes of a wanna-be tough guy. I couldn’t even guess as to how insecure he is.

I'm sure it keeps him up at night.
Post #: 6449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/16/2020 4:59:38 AM  1 votes
Todd M

Such a dumb thing to care about.
Post #: 6450
Page:   <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode