Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 11:11:11 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

O'Brien stats. Impressive.

https://twitter.com/Krauserrific/status/1183762455987511297?s=09

He's been a total stud.

I do get a little nervous when people talk about him moving to LT though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Hill starting off as playing LT after we acquired him from Jacksonville. He seemed to be a pretty good pickup at the time.

Then he got moved to RT, and has been bad.

But after seeing him play pretty decent replacing Reif when he was injured, has me thinking that the Vikings may be playing him out of his natural position.

It wouldn't be the first time they've screwed up an OLineman moving them around to different spots where they're not as effective.

Generally Hill has been our swing backup OT. So he comes in and replaces whichever OT is not available.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 10/15/2019 11:12:16 AM >
Post #: 2201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 11:42:50 AM   
David Levine

The Athletic:

The Vikings’ use of 21 personnel

The Vikings were in 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end, two wide receivers) on 18 snaps against the Eagles. They rushed seven times for 57 yards (8.14 YPC) out of that grouping and completed 9 of 11 passes for 186 yards. Overall, the Vikings averaged 13.50 yards per play out of 21 personnel in their 38-20 win. That’s the second-highest average of any team (minimum 10 plays) in one personnel grouping this season.

Minnesota offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski and adviser Gary Kubiak deserve a ton of credit. They had the Eagles’ defense off-balance all game long. They’re operating under a head coach who wants to run the ball. But they knew that the Eagles were vulnerable vs. the pass, and they adjusted. They kept the Eagles in their base defense and ran play-action all game long.

Kirk Cousins completed 22 of 29 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Next Gen Stats tracks a metric called completion percentage above expectation. It measures the probability of a completion on every throw based on where the receiver is, his separation from the nearest defender and how close the pass rush is to the quarterback. Cousins’ expected completion percentage was 61.3%. His actual completion percentage was 75.9%. That difference of plus-14.5% was the best for any QB in Week 6. Yes, they had receivers wide open on a bunch of plays. But Cousins also made some difficult throws. The result was a 38-point outburst for Minnesota.
Post #: 2202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 11:51:33 AM   
bstinger

When we're in 21 personnel I'm assuming Ham is on the field most if not all the time.

I've been thinking I'd like to see some 21 personnel with Cook and Mattison on the field. You will likely have 3 LB's on the field with that alignment. I'd then motion one or both of them out of the back field and make the LB's cover them. Could create some great mismatches.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 11:56:09 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

When we're in 21 personnel I'm assuming Ham is on the field most if not all the time.

I've been thinking I'd like to see some 21 personnel with Cook and Mattison on the field. You will likely have 3 LB's on the field with that alignment. I'd then motion one or both of them out of the back field and make the LB's cover them. Could create some great mismatches.

Or Khari Blasingame....
Post #: 2204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:00:15 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

The Athletic:

The Vikings were in 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end, two wide receivers) on 18 snaps against the Eagles. They rushed seven times for 57 yards (8.14 YPC) out of that grouping and completed 9 of 11 passes for 186 yards. Overall, the Vikings averaged 13.50 yards per play out of 21 personnel in their 38-20 win. That’s the second-highest average of any team (minimum 10 plays) in one personnel grouping this season.

Minnesota offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski and adviser Gary Kubiak deserve a ton of credit. They had the Eagles’ defense off-balance all game long. They’re operating under a head coach who wants to run the ball. But they knew that the Eagles were vulnerable vs. the pass, and they adjusted. They kept the Eagles in their base defense and ran play-action all game long.

Kirk Cousins completed 22 of 29 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Next Gen Stats tracks a metric called completion percentage above expectation. It measures the probability of a completion on every throw based on where the receiver is, his separation from the nearest defender and how close the pass rush is to the quarterback. Cousins’ expected completion percentage was 61.3%. His actual completion percentage was 75.9%. That difference of plus-14.5% was the best for any QB in Week 6. Yes, they had receivers wide open on a bunch of plays. But Cousins also made some difficult throws. The result was a 38-point outburst for Minnesota.

completion percentage above expectation?

Who the holy handgrenade sets that expectation?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:05:41 PM   
David F.

quote:

Out of 70 offensive snaps Cook saw 44, Ham saw 34, and Mattison saw 21. Ham is on the field a lot.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:07:12 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The Athletic:

People who crunch every play of every game and collaborate with others who crunch every play of every game for hours and hours per day because it's their actual job.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:30:17 PM   
marty

Bstinger

I think you make a good point. And Cook is great after the catch, and Mattison seemed really smooth on screens in college.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:36:47 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Bstinger

I think you make a good point. And Cook is great after the catch, and Mattison seemed really smooth on screens in college.

Best combination of RB's we've had in years. I think Mattison is the real deal and Cook is elite.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 12:54:09 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Out of 70 offensive snaps Cook saw 44, Ham saw 34, and Mattison saw 21. Ham is on the field a lot.

Ham is on the 53 because he’s a better blocker...if blasingame develops his blocking skills he could give us a serious downfield mismatch problem next season...another legitimate weapon...we should be careful not to let another team poach him at the end of this season....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 1:04:46 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Ham is on the 53 because he’s a better blocker...if blasingame develops his blocking skills he could give us a serious downfield mismatch problem next season...another legitimate weapon...we should be careful not to let another team poach him at the end of this season....

Worrying about that is what keeps Bruce Johnson awake at night.
Post #: 2211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 1:07:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The Athletic:

People who crunch every play of every game and collaborate with others who crunch every play of every game for hours and hours per day because it's their actual job.

Still, it's just a piece of information that fits into a mosaic that could give a picture of (in this case) a QB's performance---but only if you step back, don't focus too much on any one data point, and remember it's still just a mosaic.

This seems like an interesting stat, but needs to be highly contextualized.
Post #: 2212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 1:34:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Worrying about that is what keeps Bruce Johnson awake at night.

At this point in my life nothing keeps me awake at night.

I was talking about why we're not better with so many players playing well. This kind of explains. (not everybody is playing great)

https://thevikingage.com/2019/10/15/5-disappointing-minnesota-vikings-2019-midseason/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:27:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Per http://NFLPenalties.com, Green Bay leads the NFL in “beneficiary yards” this season, which is when a team’s opponent is called for a penalty.

The Packers have accrued 501 yards through penalties.

Detroit, on the other hand, is dead last with 234 yards.

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:31:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Game planning to help the offensive line.

https://twitter.com/vikingsfans16/status/1184189553680306177?s=20

Post #: 2215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:33:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Per http://NFLPenalties.com, Green Bay leads the NFL in “beneficiary yards” this season, which is when a team’s opponent is called for a penalty.

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:35:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

The Packers have accrued 501 yards through penalties.

Detroit, on the other hand, is dead last with 234 yards.

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

I sure the margin would be larger if they had a metric for "penalties not called".
Post #: 2217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:43:36 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME
Post #: 2218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 2:54:49 PM   
Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner
Hi Terry, always good to see that you are still paying attention to the board and to have your commenting again would be even better.

Thanks Dana,

I turned 70 earlier this year so I've cut back to only 3 simultaneous jobs (from the 4 I had when I was younger...one year when I was 24, I had 6 if you count the summer jobs a teacher can take on when school is out..phew!!). All in all, at this point in time, I generally can keep up with almost all of the posts here. But most of the time when I do have something profitable to say, I find someone else has already said it.

It's a great board with very knowledgeable passionate fans, that I love to read. I will promise to chip in more if I have something to say that is worth hearing.

Speaking of which, I watched the Lions Packers game. Wow. Of all the years of bad Packer slanted officiating I've seen over the years, that game was by far the worst. Booger McFarland as color man went on and on about how outrageous it was, especially the two hands to the face calls, of which we had multiple views from multiple angles that showed clearly how bad the calls were. It was particularly bad because both were late in the game and under circumstances that very likely would have resulted in a Lions win.

I'll not be surprised if Booger gets censured by the NFL. Because this game had to be very bad for the NFL product as a whole in this country. Without his commentary I think many folks would not have caught it. Now the all who saw it know that the game can often be very unfair.

I'm glad I'm not a Lions fan.
Post #: 2219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 4:08:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Bradbury holding up one on one vs. Fletcher Cox on this successful third down play. Our shiny new center really starting to figure things out.

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/1183793855616954369?s=20

Really good view of an offensive line playing in sync. Every one of them has a great set and the footwork of Hill and O'Neil is perfect. Hill really filled in admirably when called on this weekend, he went in a couple of times to spell Reiff, not sure what happened to Reiff, but he got dinged up early, like the third play from scrimmage, so Hill played a bunch.

Elf also blocks very well on this clip. I wanted to point that out, because after watching the game, I thought Elf might have had his best performance in a couple of years, so that's a good thing. He still made mistakes, every Oline guy will, it's just the nature of the beast, but he played better on a number of reps and that's good. It might be just a coincidence, but Bradbury also had a solid game, so this may just be these guys figuring it out in real time. It's one thing to do it in practice, but completely another to do it in live action. Looking better, gotta like that.

I remember someone once described Gary Zimmerman as having "computer feet".
Post #: 2220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 4:30:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Bakhtairi threw his head back to simulate contact on that second call. Why not? He probably saw he could get the flag happy ref to throw one again.

Same kind of stuff defenders do to make it look like they are being held.

NFL refs once again behind the times by a few years. But yeah, go ahead with your 'perfect' booth reviews.
Post #: 2221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 5:50:48 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terry Stoneberg

quote:

Hi Terry, always good to see that you are still paying attention to the board and to have your commenting again would be even better.

Thanks Dana,

I turned 70 earlier this year so I've cut back to only 3 simultaneous jobs (from the 4 I had when I was younger...one year when I was 24, I had 6 if you count the summer jobs a teacher can take on when school is out..phew!!). All in all, at this point in time, I generally can keep up with almost all of the posts here. But most of the time when I do have something profitable to say, I find someone else has already said it.

It's a great board with very knowledgeable passionate fans, that I love to read. I will promise to chip in more if I have something to say that is worth hearing.

Speaking of which, I watched the Lions Packers game. Wow. Of all the years of bad Packer slanted officiating I've seen over the years, that game was by far the worst. Booger McFarland as color man went on and on about how outrageous it was, especially the two hands to the face calls, of which we had multiple views from multiple angles that showed clearly how bad the calls were. It was particularly bad because both were late in the game and under circumstances that very likely would have resulted in a Lions win.

I'll not be surprised if Booger gets censured by the NFL. Because this game had to be very bad for the NFL product as a whole in this country. Without his commentary I think many folks would not have caught it. Now the all who saw it know that the game can often be very unfair.

I'm glad I'm not a Lions fan.

The guy they called both those hands to the face penalties on Trey flowers had never been penalized for that infraction in his entire 62.8 game career
Post #: 2222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 5:55:25 PM   
marty

And this only scratches the surface of the Packer 2ndary getting away with PI and holds.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 5:56:58 PM   
marty

< Message edited by marty -- 10/15/2019 10:22:17 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/15/2019 6:12:56 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Last night must have been obvious, ESPN did a segment a few hours ago on how the refs helped Green Bay win.

Are you going to post this on every thread?
Post #: 2225
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode