Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 6:06:02 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Tomorrow signings wont count against the comp pick formula

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

So Griffen signing with someone else wouldn't help us now?

Are we really in line to get much for compensatory picks?

Signed: Pierce 9M

Lost: Waynes 14M, Mac 4M, Kearse 2M

Rhodes and Linval don't count because they were cut.
Post #: 976
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 7:05:54 PM   
kgdabom

Texans released S Tashaun Gipson.
Gipson's Texans tenure is over after 14 games. The move creates $3.2 million in cap space and leaves behind $4.25 million in dead money. The Texans did not address safety in their small draft class, but soon-to-be 30-year-old Gipson did not have a strong 2019 before landing on injured reserve with a back injury. His ailment, which he played through before aggravating, surely played a part. Gipson's experience and ball-hawking skills will undoubtedly earn him another chance.

RELATED: Houston Texans
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Apr 27, 2020, 3:31 PM ET

Could be a good Vet FA for us to nab. I think Hand will be a safety so we still have room for one vet FA.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 977
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 7:54:59 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Winston signing a 1 yr contract with the Saints. I think 10M/yr for Hill is expensive. But love what NO is doing to replace Brees, much to my chagrin. Tried out Bridgewater. Now an audition with Winston.

Gawd - I hate it.

Winston does not scare me at all. Has all the tools, but throws the ball all over the place. I am not sure that is correctable.

Now think of a slightly less talented player than that and you have Jordan Love.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 978
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 8:06:30 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winston signing a 1 yr contract with the Saints. I think 10M/yr for Hill is expensive. But love what NO is doing to replace Brees, much to my chagrin. Tried out Bridgewater. Now an audition with Winston.

Gawd - I hate it.

Winston does not scare me at all. Has all the tools, but throws the ball all over the place. I am not sure that is correctable.

Winston scares me more than Love. Great situation to step back from the physical and focus on the mental part of the game. Two damn good teachers in Brees and Payton.

I guess I would agree that if anyone could unlock value from Winston, it is the Saints. I would be OK with the move if I was a Saints fan, but it would not really be anything that got me excited. With a one year deal, if he looks good, they will have to sign him for regular starting QB money next offseason. He is still pretty young, but QBs that succeed mainly on their physical attributes, and not their mental one, do not have long NFL careers. The same could probably be said for Taysom Hill as well.

I think it's an excellent gamble for the Saints.

Winston hasn't put it all together, but he's got talent. And he just turned 26. 5 years: 20,000 yards, 61%, 121 TDs, 88 INTs.

And while I think Hill is a terrific gadget player, I can't imagine him ever being a full time QB. He turns 30 in a few months has attempted 13 passes in his career...

6/13, 46%, 119 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

I just read what the Saints are paying Hill. What the heck. Winston does have a ton of talent. I do not see him getting more accurate and making smarter plays, but he is going to a good team for him. And he is pretty young.
Post #: 979
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 8:08:39 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

quote:

quote:

Gawd - I hate it.

Now think of a slightly less talented player than that and you have Jordan Love.

Good stuff. I hope so. I should kind of feel bad rooting hard against a guy just because the Packers drafted him. But I don't.
Post #: 980
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 8:29:15 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gawd - I hate it.

Good stuff. I hope so. I should kind of feel bad rooting hard against a guy just because the Packers drafted him. But I don't.

That's what I love about sports. It's the one part of your life where it's okay to be knowingly irrational!

Post #: 981
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 8:41:23 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Griffith, it was ruled, would not have counted towards a comp pick.

Weatherly cancels out Pierce. So Waynes should get us a 3rd (projected now anyway). Mac a 7th and of all people Sendejo could get us a 7th.

All can change depending on player performance and meeting incentives. But that's what I saw last time I looked.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 982
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 10:09:41 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gawd - I hate it.

That's what I love about sports. It's the one part of your life where it's okay to be knowingly irrational!

So so true.
Post #: 983
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 10:18:06 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

Weatherly cancels out Pierce. So Waynes should get us a 3rd (projected now anyway). Mac a 7th and of all people Sendejo could get us a 7th.

All can change depending on player performance and meeting incentives. But that's what I saw last time I looked.

According to this, Mac gets us a 6th. It is a pretty cool chart.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/
Post #: 984
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 10:30:12 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Forgot about Weatherly.
Post #: 985
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/27/2020 11:02:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Forgot about Weatherly.

I was very excited when we drafted Weatherly because he was a size/speed freak similar to Clowney. He turned out good enough that he was stolen from us in FA.
Hinton is every bit as good a physical specimen as Cleveland only a little shorter for better or worse. Time will tell how he works out.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 986
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 1:01:41 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Do you all think Harris will still play here in Minnesota?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 987
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 1:30:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I think so. We can't really afford to let him go. It's a question of a one year tag or an extension I would think. Chances of trading him are probably slim after the draft and if we release the tag we lose him without compensation.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 988
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:01:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Experienced safeties and talented, but inexperienced corners.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 989
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:16:21 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I think so. We can't really afford to let him go. It's a question of a one year tag or an extension I would think. Chances of trading him are probably slim after the draft and if we release the tag we lose him without compensation.

I still think he'd qualify in the comp pick formula.

But my guess is we at least hang on to him for this season on the franchise tag being we didn't draft a sure fire starting S and the need for some stability on the back end with different starting cb's.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 990
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:26:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

But my guess is we at least hang on to him for this season on the franchise tag being we didn't draft a sure fire starting S and the need for some stability on the back end with different starting cb's.

It was my understanding that the comp picks for next season went out the window as of 4 PM EDT yesterday. Or are they still awarded, but not penalized by who is signed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 991
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:35:44 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was my understanding that the comp picks for next season went out the window as of 4 PM EDT yesterday. Or are they still awarded, but not penalized by who is signed.

I'm just spit balling. But generally they don't award the picks until late in the season. I was unaware of any deadline being FA isn't even over.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 992
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:39:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

That's why the Vikings may add free agents today.

Post #: 993
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 8:39:39 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm just spit balling. But generally they don't award the picks until late in the season. I was unaware of any deadline being FA isn't even over.

Signing a FA doesn't hurt you any longer (count against what you would receive) as of the recent deadline. They moved the deadline up compared to prior years.
Post #: 994
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 9:18:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There was a deadline of Yesterday at 4PM EDT where signings no longer factored into a teams comp pick formula. I was believing that losses as of that time no longer factored into a teams comp pick formula. I never heard that confirmed. Anybody know?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/28/2020 4:13:58 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 995
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 9:38:04 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This chart is great! First time I actually kind of understand Comp.'stuff'

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 996
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 9:45:07 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gawd - I hate it.

Great Tagline Dave!
Post #: 997
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/28/2020 12:23:55 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gawd - I hate it.

Great Tagline Dave!

Post #: 998
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/29/2020 4:13:14 PM   
kgdabom

With compensation no longer being affected I'm surprised at how little FA activity has occurred so far.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 999
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/29/2020 5:36:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This chart is great! First time I actually kind of understand Comp.'stuff'

This explains what came out of the latest CBA, the NFLs previously secret formula.

compensatory-draft-picks explained
Post #: 1000
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode