Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 12:11:02 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

With compensation no longer being affected I'm surprised at how little FA activity has occurred so far.

Let teams get their Draft picks signed, then they will have an idea of how much cap room they will have to work with.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1001
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 2:44:23 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

With compensation no longer being affected I'm surprised at how little FA activity has occurred so far.

Let teams get their Draft picks signed, then they will have an idea of how much cap room they will have to work with.

I appreciate what you're saying, but IIRC the draft picks are slotted salaries with very little wiggle room. Teams should already know how much cap room they have to work with.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1002
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 5:08:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing we sign 3 more (gets us to 90) minimum vet or tryout guys and then extend Cook.
Post #: 1003
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 5:49:12 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing we sign 3 more (gets us to 90) minimum vet or tryout guys and then extend Cook.

I think it's coming. He just has to be reasonable...and honestly, only bc of the injury history.
Post #: 1004
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:53:17 PM   
Pager

Like the Trent Williams Trade, I hope an extension of Cook doesn't happen. Too much risk in big contracts to RBs and never the return.

There also was so many times during the season Mattison looked nearly identical to Cook on the field. Several times I thought it was Cook and it turned out to be Mattison.

I would franchise Cook next give, give him a nice bump. If he wants out, trade him.

Next year draft a RB in mid-rounds. Kubiak doesn't need an expensive or high draft pick RB.

But I also think it's coming. Hope it's reasonable.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1005
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 10:53:45 PM   
unome

I know this has been touched on before, but the salary cap in 2021 could be way lower than 2020 depending on what happens with COVID and if they play the games in empty stadiums. I would be very cautious with extensions to either Cook or Harris. I probably would be very cautious anyway since Harris turns 29 this October and Cook is a Running Back who has missed games at a position that does not age well. The players get 48.5% of revenue in a 17 game season in 2021, but the revenue numbers are based on the revenue numbers that happened the year before meaning 2021 could be a really tight year for the salary cap. Which leads me to a side point that this salary cap concern, which should have been known about when it happened, makes the Laremy Tunsil contract one of the dumber things you will ever see especially when you add in the need to trade two firsts and a second. Tunsil is an excellent Tackle, but that is all sorts of dumb.
Post #: 1006
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/30/2020 11:00:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I have heard that the NFL will still make a profit with no fans in the stands. The TV contract is that big.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1007
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 5:20:50 AM   
kgdabom

Any extensions being signed at this time should have language relating to total revenue/salary cap. If the cap goes down the salary goes down should be obvious.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1008
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 6:02:26 AM   
Todd M

Obvious? Maybe. Legal? Probably not.

Not sure how many people here would sit down with their boss next year and discuss how much raise you were willing to give back based on the company's profitability.
Post #: 1009
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 7:23:18 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

I know this has been touched on before, but the salary cap in 2021 could be way lower than 2020 depending on what happens with COVID and if they play the games in empty stadiums. I would be very cautious with extensions to either Cook or Harris. I probably would be very cautious anyway since Harris turns 29 this October and Cook is a Running Back who has missed games at a position that does not age well. The players get 48.5% of revenue in a 17 game season in 2021, but the revenue numbers are based on the revenue numbers that happened the year before meaning 2021 could be a really tight year for the salary cap. Which leads me to a side point that this salary cap concern, which should have been known about when it happened, makes the Laremy Tunsil contract one of the dumber things you will ever see especially when you add in the need to trade two firsts and a second. Tunsil is an excellent Tackle, but that is all sorts of dumb.

Not sure what is going on with the Texans. I think they currently don't have a GM and HC Bill O'Brien has been making some foolish trades and signings.

I agree on the not inking Harris and Cook.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1010
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 7:32:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Not sure what is going on with the Texans. I think they currently don't have a GM and HC Bill O'Brien has been making some foolish trades and signings.

Their worst move yet was trading for Cooks. He would have done better signing Percy. Cooks is not going to last long; size and number of concussions already is not a good sign.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1011
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 7:51:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Their worst move yet was trading for Cooks. He would have done better signing Percy. Cooks is not going to last long; size and number of concussions already is not a good sign.

Never seen a player bounce around the league like he has.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1012
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 8:44:15 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Like the Trent Williams Trade, I hope an extension of Cook doesn't happen. Too much risk in big contracts to RBs and never the return.

There also was so many times during the season Mattison looked nearly identical to Cook on the field. Several times I thought it was Cook and it turned out to be Mattison.

I would franchise Cook next give, give him a nice bump. If he wants out, trade him.

Next year draft a RB in mid-rounds. Kubiak doesn't need an expensive or high draft pick RB.

I agree Pager..I am hoping Mattison gets a lot more touches this year. And they do look very similar in stature!

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1013
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:32:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

quote:

I agree Pager..I am hoping Mattison gets a lot more touches this year. And they do look very similar in stature!

Mattison is a fine young running back. He is not Dalvin Cook 2.0 in any way, shape or form.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1014
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:50:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

So Shea Patterson (QB from Michigan) wasn't drafted.....should we have tried a UDFA or drafting him late also? One player out of 337 invited to NFL Combine and not drafted. Drafted in baseball also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1015
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:52:20 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison is a fine young running back. He is not Dalvin Cook 2.0 in any way, shape or form.

If I were ranking the RBs on skill - from what I've seen (limited sample size) if Cook is a 10, I see Mattison as a 8. One is going to be asking for 12 -14M and has missed half of his games since being drafted. I love Cook but no way would I resign him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwToGpJUbwc

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1016
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 11:14:15 AM   
The Happy Norseman

Titans decline Corey Davis' fifth-year option, former No. 5 overall pick to be 2021 free agent, per report
The former fifth-overall pick is now slated to become a free agent after the 2020 season

Lot's of potential but has the injury bug. The 5th overall pick in the 2017 draft certainly has a higher ceiling than Tajae Sharpe. Worth a roll of the dice?

From his scouting report:

BOTTOM LINE Touchdown juggernaut who was a four-year model of production and consistency in college. Davis has the route-running and ball skills to become a starter in the league, but it is his competitiveness and production in the red-zone that should make him a good one.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 1017
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 12:08:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If I were ranking the RBs on skill - from what I've seen (limited sample size) if Cook is a 10, I see Mattison as a 8. One is going to be asking for 12 -14M and has missed half of his games since being drafted. I love Cook but no way would I resign him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwToGpJUbwc

Cook can turn any play into a TD. He is our only explosive offensive player. Yeah we probably can't afford what he will be willing to sign for.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1018
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 12:10:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Titans decline Corey Davis' fifth-year option, former No. 5 overall pick to be 2021 free agent, per report
The former fifth-overall pick is now slated to become a free agent after the 2020 season

Lot's of potential but has the injury bug. The 5th overall pick in the 2017 draft certainly has a higher ceiling than Tajae Sharpe. Worth a roll of the dice?

BOTTOM LINE Touchdown juggernaut who was a four-year model of production and consistency in college. Davis has the route-running and ball skills to become a starter in the league, but it is his competitiveness and production in the red-zone that should make him a good one.

If he'll sign cheap why not.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1019
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 12:13:31 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Seems a little premature to plan for that.
Post #: 1020
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 1:38:23 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is better than Mattison, when healthy, but I would rather have Mattison at 4 million per than Cook at 14 million per. Granted, we do not know what it will cost to sign either, but for a point of comparison.
Post #: 1021
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 4:18:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cook is better than Mattison, when healthy, but I would rather have Mattison at 4 million per than Cook at 14 million per. Granted, we do not know what it will cost to sign either, but for a point of comparison.

I remember when we drafted Mattison the talk was all about him being worthless and a completely wasted draft pick.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1022
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 6:03:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I remember when we drafted Mattison the talk was all about him being worthless and a completely wasted draft pick.

I was nervous about the pick because it seemed that we got him too early. However, it was clear that the Vikings really, really wanted him and I did like the film I saw, so I was more wait and see.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1023
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 6:48:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was nervous about the pick because it seemed that we got him too early. However, it was clear that the Vikings really, really wanted him and I did like the film I saw, so I was more wait and see.

I'm not saying everybody hated it. Just a strong majority.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1024
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/1/2020 6:58:45 PM   
Todd M

At the end of the day IF THEY throw caution to the wind and resign Cook we are the likely beneficiaries of a wider SB window because Cook is a special back that could run us to a SB. Why do we as fans have to worry about the money part? The worst case scenarios? He's really good, one of ours. I say strap in and go for it.
Post #: 1025
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode