Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 12:12:21 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Ezra Cleveland is 6'6". He also lacks power. The book on him is he needs to get stronger. I don't want him playing guard. He's not a good fit for that.

Exactly. The big issue at LG is that we have Elflien getting overpowered with alarming frequency. One of the reasons we use so many roll outs and fewer straight drops and shot gun sets is that Bradbury and Elf are just not able to consistently slow the inside pass rush.

It's a tradeoff between second level and outside run blocking vs. straight drop pass and between the tackles run blocking, mobility vs. strength, which I assume is why we didn't draft Will Hernandez instead of Hughes in 2018. I'd prefer stouter straight drop pass blocking.
Post #: 1051
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 1:01:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Don't forget that our scheme is made to order for Cook and we have invested high draft picks in Bradbury, O'Neill, Samia and Cleveland who are great fits for outside zone blocking.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1052
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 1:57:03 PM   
Bill Jandro

They said over the weekend that the Vikes are going to play the top five players up front period.

They did this after some oline injuries at the tail end of the 2017 season. results weren't good yet they still ran with it 18 with contuing diminished returns.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1053
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 2:14:42 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

They said over the weekend that the Vikes are going to play the top five players up front period.

They did this after some oline injuries at the tail end of the 2017 season. results weren't good yet they still ran with it 18 with contuing diminished returns.

I cant imagine that anyone is NOT an upgrade over Compton and Remmers.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1054
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 3:30:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Ezra Cleveland is 6'6". He also lacks power. The book on him is he needs to get stronger. I don't want him playing guard. He's not a good fit for that.

311 and 30 reps are both nice numbers. Most people are saying he lacks power. I will believe that when I see it. I'm hoping it will be no issue.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1055
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 3:51:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

311 and 30 reps are both nice numbers. Most people are saying he lacks power. I will believe that when I see it. I'm hoping it will be no issue.

How is his core strength?
Post #: 1056
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 3:55:38 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

At the end of the day IF THEY throw caution to the wind and resign Cook we are the likely beneficiaries of a wider SB window because Cook is a special back that could run us to a SB. Why do we as fans have to worry about the money part? The worst case scenarios? He's really good, one of ours. I say strap in and go for it.

Looking at the highest paid running backs and see nothing to make me believe that signing a running back to big bucks is a smart choice. The worst case scenario is that we overpay one position and run out of money for a more important position.

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

it seems like it never works to pay a disgruntled running back big money - so many of the top paid rb's are not with their original team - they didn't think they were worth the money...just of interest; carolina has $48m in dead money they're being charged with this season, and still they shuffled in a new qb and made their rb the highest paid in the league....

remember when cook was leading the league in rushing halfway through the season last year?...he ended up 8th in rushing, behind chris carson and joe Mixon....

the way i see the running game in the nfl; build yourself a great o-line and the worst you'll have is a very good running game - with anyone at rb....

i like where the vikings are right now, and i'm not a big cousins fan...if we didn't allow such big holes to form at wr and cb we could have really poured some draft capital into our o-line...but hopefully, the fo and coaches are correct - that some of our younger talent is ready to step up and solidify our line....

IMO the O Line and not the QB is the most important position in football. A great O line will make any QB look good as well as any RB like you mentioned.

we could have possibly done this, and i think we'd be better off....

make the trade with washington for williams at lt....

#22 ruiz at lg
#23 Jefferson (#25 and our 4th router)
#58 fulton
#89 danzler

of course, we could have flipped #22/#23...one hole to fill at rg and we probably have a young player for that - or bring kline back....

Meh. We give up a 4th round pick and the corner we wanted to draft Ruiz. We have Cleveland with Reiff moving to guard. We aren't saddled with Williams salary, which means we don't have to shot gun Harris.

Yeah on draft night I was screaming for something like this (Getting another OLineman early) however I’m warming up to Spiels choices.

Watching more tape (lots) on Jeff Gladney alleviates quite a bit of concern for me. His height is just about the only downside as I can see. Appears a rugged, athletically superior version of Mac Alexander. I’ll roll with the Jefferson at #22, and trade back to #31 for the extra draft capital.

They said over the weekend that the Vikes are going to play the top five players up front period. Cleveland could definitely come right in and start at Guard. He’s projects in many pre-draft guides as a Guard.

I’m not a fan of kicking Reiff inside unless he takes a pretty substantial pay cut.

Still think we are bringing in someone like Dre Kirkpatrick at CB, and perhaps even bring back Josh Kline?

We need some combination of these Olineman to pan out, or it’ll be the same ole collapsing front door, and a quick exit if we don’t.

The biggest key is they are throwing draft capital every year at the Oline.

The biggest key is that draft capital has to produce.
Post #: 1057
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 4:02:24 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

While Williams didn't completely nix the trade to the Vikings, he seems to have indicated he wouldn't sign an extension.

Plus, fukk that guy; he's a 49er.

Where did he say that? The only thing I remember reading from his side is that Williams and his agent said that they had nothing to do with the deal falling through.

Oh it's a fact that Williams nixed the trade to the Vikings. There's pagers and pagers of posts on these threads affirming it. Each post featuring a personal insult as further proof of the veracity.
Post #: 1058
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 4:21:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

How is his core strength?

Maybe his ass isn't fat enough and that hurts his anchor. I don't know.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1059
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 4:47:52 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

i would offer thor bjornsson $5m for one year to play left guard for us...really....

dead lift: 1,105 lbs
squat: 970 lbs

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1060
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 5:19:25 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

While Williams didn't completely nix the trade to the Vikings, he seems to have indicated he wouldn't sign an extension.

Where did he say that? The only thing I remember reading from his side is that Williams and his agent said that they had nothing to do with the deal falling through.

Straight from Williams:

An NFL Media report Saturday night indicated Williams blocked a trade to Minnesota. He and his agent both denied it over the weekend.

It sounds like it might be a matter of semantics, because Williams admitted Thursday that the Vikings “didn’t synch up” with what he wants long term.

“The Vikings, long term, and what I looked at long term, it didn’t synch up,” Williams said. “They just really dropped out. It wasn’t me refusing to go.”
Post #: 1061
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 5:33:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Straight from Williams:

An NFL Media report Saturday night indicated Williams blocked a trade to Minnesota. He and his agent both denied it over the weekend.

It sounds like it might be a matter of semantics, because Williams admitted Thursday that the Vikings “didn’t synch up” with what he wants long term.

“The Vikings, long term, and what I looked at long term, it didn’t synch up,” Williams said. “They just really dropped out. It wasn’t me refusing to go.”

lol. ‘They didn’t cave in to my demands so we mutually agreed to go our own way.’

As much as we blew finding solid OG competition in the draft ... we did find a good scheme fit at OT ... and we didn’t ‘synch’ (ie, bend over) to an older high risk OT’s long term demands.
Post #: 1062
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 5:40:35 PM   
unome

The long and short of it is this: if the team is concerned about Guard play, they should bring back Kline or another veteran they like better. Kline was pretty good last year. Not sure about the concussions, so that could be an issue. It is not likely that a Guard picked in the third round or later plays better in 2020 than Kline did last year.
Post #: 1063
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 5:44:55 PM   
unome

Put another way: do we think the SECOND best player from the training camp battle from Elf, Samia, Udoh, Collins, Dozier and whichever of Cleveland and Reif does not play LT is OK filling a starting spot? I am comfortable with the best player from that group with a starting sport and hopeful for the second best player, but I would try to bring in someone like Kline for more competition
Post #: 1064
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 5:55:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Straight from Williams:

So we didn't want a one year rental with a guy who wants 20M+.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 5/4/2020 5:56:42 PM >
Post #: 1065
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 6:06:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We're talking about Ezra Cleveland and right on time comes this article from Ludford.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/4/21239061/breaking-down-ezra-cleveland?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1066
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 6:10:49 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

Put another way: do we think the SECOND best player from the training camp battle from Elf, Samia, Udoh, Collins, Dozier and whichever of Cleveland and Reif does not play LT is OK filling a starting spot? I am comfortable with the best player from that group with a starting sport and hopeful for the second best player, but I would try to bring in someone like Kline for more competition

I agree that bringing Kline back as competition would be a sound move. He is just okay but a ‘just ok’ experienced vet is a better bar to set for competition than a battle between inexperienced mid to late rd picks.

I just do not think Cleveland would hold up inside against pro DTs given his weaknesses ... I can see him holding up better on the outside given his strengths and maybe even exceeding rookie expectations (like O’Neil).
Post #: 1067
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 7:33:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

We're talking about Ezra Cleveland and right on time comes this article from Ludford.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/4/21239061/breaking-down-ezra-cleveland?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

That link really hates him. I've seen much more favorable reviews.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1068
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 7:38:00 PM   
bohumm

I was pleasantly surprised by Kline last year, and I'd welcome him back, but the team might want the young'uns to play this year and thus won't pay more than a minimum or slightly higher contract to provide a backstop. I think the team is looking at 2021 as they year to compete for a championship. With three new starters at CB, two empty guard spots, and youngsters/no depth at a number of positions, 2020 is the year to develop. Don't have any insight beyond watching their actions, but I don't think we're in "win now" mode.
Post #: 1069
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 8:02:01 PM   
Pager

quote:

I was pleasantly surprised by Kline last year, and I'd welcome him back, but the team might want the young'uns to play this year and thus won't pay more than a minimum or slightly higher contract to provide a backstop. I think the team is looking at 2021 as they year to compete for a championship. With three new starters at CB, two empty guard spots, and youngsters/no depth at a number of positions, 2020 is the year to develop. Don't have any insight beyond watching their actions, but I don't think we're in "win now" mode.

Stupid part of the Kline cut is the amount of dead money. He'd have to be willing to come back for 2M or less or it will cost us more in cap than if we hadn't cut him.

I was reading an article where the author thinks 9-7 wins the Central. I think we can win 9 game, more if some youngsters step up.

Post #: 1070
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 9:21:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Stupid part of the Kline cut is the amount of dead money. He'd have to be willing to come back for 2M or less or it will cost us more in cap than if we hadn't cut him.

I was reading an article where the author thinks 9-7 wins the Central. I think we can win 9 game, more if some youngsters step up.

We drafted a couple of offensive linemen in the back end of the draft. (Brandel and Hinton) Obviously the team likes them or they wouldn't get drafted. They won't be ready this year, especially this year. I hear that the Vikings will be grooming Hinton for center and perhaps guard too. I'm not sure about Brandel. Shoot. There are so many draft picks they all can't make the roster, but in the case of Hinton my hunch is that they won't be able to stash him on the practice squad.

If we wind up keeping Reiff and he plays fairly well at guard, then we don't need any more free agent guards. That's what I'm thinking at the moment, but I certainly don't have a high degree of confidence in that.

If I'm not mistaken Kline had an issue with concussions. I think the team wants to get young. Samia and Udoh at guard would be really cool and we would be getting younger in a hurry.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/4/2020 9:23:54 PM >

Post #: 1071
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/4/2020 11:20:47 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

We drafted a couple of offensive linemen in the back end of the draft. (Brandel and Hinton) Obviously the team likes them or they wouldn't get drafted. They won't be ready this year, especially this year. I hear that the Vikings will be grooming Hinton for center and perhaps guard too. I'm not sure about Brandel. Shoot. There are so many draft picks they all can't make the roster, but in the case of Hinton my hunch is that they won't be able to stash him on the practice squad.

If we wind up keeping Reiff and he plays fairly well at guard, then we don't need any more free agent guards. That's what I'm thinking at the moment, but I certainly don't have a high degree of confidence in that.

If I'm not mistaken Kline had an issue with concussions. I think the team wants to get young. Samia and Udoh at guard would be really cool and we would be getting younger in a hurry.

I think concussion played a part of Kline being cut. But for the price, they could have had competition with a solid vet. If Samia was good enough, no big loss to trade or cut Kline. Much harder to bring him back though.

I'm all about the youth movement. I'd much rather see some mistakes and be optimistic about improvement from a youngster than average play by vets. What I've hated the most about the 2018 & 19 oline play is the status freaking quo. Remmers and Comptom might have been the worst guards in the history of the nfl and got a rope long enough to hang the postseason. Same thing with Elf last year. My gawd at some point you have to bench piss poor performance don't you?

If any of the younsters are in the same neighborhood as Reiff at LT or LG, I'd rather cut/trade him and save the 9M. Take the lumps and hope the youngsters jell. No way Reiff is back next year unless he plays like Thuney at Guard (Reiff will be making 14M).

In a vacuum I'm hoping for Cleveland/Collins/Bradbury/Samia/ONeill.

< Message edited by Pager -- 5/4/2020 11:21:56 PM >

Post #: 1072
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/5/2020 8:14:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think concussion played a part of Kline being cut. But for the price, they could have had competition with a solid vet. If Samia was good enough, no big loss to trade or cut Kline. Much harder to bring him back though.

I'm all about the youth movement. I'd much rather see some mistakes and be optimistic about improvement from a youngster than average play by vets. What I've hated the most about the 2018 & 19 oline play is the status freaking quo. Remmers and Comptom might have been the worst guards in the history of the nfl and got a rope long enough to hang the postseason. Same thing with Elf last year. My gawd at some point you have to bench piss poor performance don't you?

If any of the younsters are in the same neighborhood as Reiff at LT or LG, I'd rather cut/trade him and save the 9M. Take the lumps and hope the youngsters jell. No way Reiff is back next year unless he plays like Thuney at Guard (Reiff will be making 14M).

You like Collins better than Udoh at guard? Is that because you want to keep Udoh as a backup tackle?

Post #: 1073
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/5/2020 9:51:05 AM   
TJSweens

Is Udoh ready to start otherwise? I know that he appears to have stepped right off the blueprint for a starting LT, but is he ready?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1074
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 5/5/2020 10:02:40 AM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You like Collins better than Udoh at guard? Is that because you want to keep Udoh as a backup tackle?

My question would be how in the hell could we rely on Aviante Collins for anything?

All the glowing practice reports don’t make up for long, long stints of time not being available due to injury.

Pager- your take on Reiff is exactly what my feelings on simply shifting our $13.5mil LT to guard has any good effect on our OLine at all. Yes if one of our youngsters is anywhere near him in competence at G, I definitely go in that direction. Just because Reiff was a decent Tackle does not mean he’s going to be a decent G (Although DECENT would be a huge upgrade over Elf)

Almost every single so-called expert a few years said the former TE Brian O’Neill was a raw, project coming out of Pitt and wouldn’t contribute for years. Cleveland looks quite refined in comparison.
  Post #: 1075
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode