Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 3:39:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

here's a consensus list of the top udfa's and teams that selected them...quartney davis is 4th on the list, but then the Vikes don't have another until clarke at #64....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101mplG0FrREB6Zpsbx-V_vfsNxWv5qfqn00FEYWWpdo/edit#gid=0

I stopped counting at 25 WR's through the first 204 players. The WR draft was really deep is what we were hearing and I guess that is confirmation.

and the Packers, who desperately needed WR help, drafted exactly ZERO of them.

So we kind of bleeped them by taking the best rated WR in UFA. It's kind of like Randy Moss doing the mooning in the end zone if you asked me. Insult on top of injury. That doesn't include the part where we selected Jefferson in the first round who could be special. I must say this: Green Bay deserves it.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3851
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 4:00:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Davis was rated number 158 on the consensus list. That means a fifth round value and in comparison, Tyler Johnson, the Gopher WR was selected just after 158 by a few picks. Johnson probably was a very good value there, but just saying it's possible he could have a similar career. We'll have to see.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3852
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 5:51:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/30/5-players-minnesota-vikings-regret-passing-2020/6/

Shane Lemieux – G (Oregon)

Lemieux was on the board for each of the Vikings’ picks in the fourth round. He’s a big, mean, physical blocker who was a four-year starter at Oregon. He really excels at pass blocking and he was a guy Minnesota could’ve added in the fourth round who would’ve come in and been a favorite to start on their offensive line in 2020.

Tyler Johnson – WR (Minnesota)

Minnesota was on the clock with the 10th pick in the fifth round this year. Surprisingly, Johnson was still on the board. But instead of taking him, the Vikings just traded down again

Amik Robertson – CB (Louisiana Tech)

It must’ve been his 5-foot-8 frame that caused this aggressive cornerback to fall. No matter how much he proved to be a playmaker on tape and in the stat book, his size likely scared off a lot of teams. The Las Vegas Raiders finally took him with the 139th overall pick, but the Vikings could’ve had him multiple times before that.

Prince Tega Wanogho – OT (Auburn)

Instead of taking the SEC battle-tested lineman, Minnesota selected the unheralded Blake Brandel from Oregon State. Time will tell if this was the right decision, but Tega Wanogho was a player who was projected to go much higher.

Antoine Winfield Jr. – DB (Minnesota)

This one hurt Vikings fans probably more than it hurt the Vikings. Antoine Winfield Jr. would’ve been a very popular player for the Vikings, being the son of a former franchise legend and a former Minnesota Golden Gopher.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3853
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:02:37 PM   
Bill Jandro

Spielman may have got A's from all the talking heads. I think he did do a great job navigating the draft.

However, not selecting Lemieux and Johnson in the 4th and 5th respectively, drops his grade to a C+ in my book.

LG is currently a sink hole on this team.
Johnson I think has chops and we needed better quality depth behind AT and JJ.

Brandel over Wanogho is questionable.

Winfield was always a pipe dream.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 4/30/2020 6:14:12 PM >

Post #: 3854
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:47:26 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/30/5-players-minnesota-vikings-regret-passing-2020/6/

Lemieux was on the board for each of the Vikings’ picks in the fourth round. He’s a big, mean, physical blocker who was a four-year starter at Oregon. He really excels at pass blocking and he was a guy Minnesota could’ve added in the fourth round who would’ve come in and been a favorite to start on their offensive line in 2020.

Minnesota was on the clock with the 10th pick in the fifth round this year. Surprisingly, Johnson was still on the board. But instead of taking him, the Vikings just traded down again

It must’ve been his 5-foot-8 frame that caused this aggressive cornerback to fall. No matter how much he proved to be a playmaker on tape and in the stat book, his size likely scared off a lot of teams. The Las Vegas Raiders finally took him with the 139th overall pick, but the Vikings could’ve had him multiple times before that.

Instead of taking the SEC battle-tested lineman, Minnesota selected the unheralded Blake Brandel from Oregon State. Time will tell if this was the right decision, but Tega Wanogho was a player who was projected to go much higher.

This one hurt Vikings fans probably more than it hurt the Vikings. Antoine Winfield Jr. would’ve been a very popular player for the Vikings, being the son of a former franchise legend and a former Minnesota Golden Gopher.

Lemieux according to NFL.com: Lacks lateral movement qualities to get to reach blocks consistently

Prince according to NFL.com: Lacks lateral movement qualities to get to reach blocks consistently

We already got a better Tyler Johnson in the first round.

We currently have two of the best safeties in the entire league; no way do we pick Winfield where would have needed to.

Loved Robertson, but we'd already taken two much better CBs.

Time will tell on all of our quibbles with the Vikings' draft, and there are legit alternatives that seriously raise eyebrows, but this is a horrible list of alternatives.
Post #: 3855
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:49:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Spielman may have got A's from all the talking heads. I think he did do a great job navigating the draft.

However, not selecting Lemieux and Johnson in the 4th and 5th respectively, drops his grade to a C+ in my book.

You must really love those fringe guys for a 4th and 5th round pick to tank the draft grade so hard.
Post #: 3856
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:50:23 PM   
Hats4Bats

+1 bohumm

An accurate assessment of those players. No way this draft was a C+

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 3857
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 6:55:05 PM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

Not sure this was posted anywhere. Composite of 22 draft experts

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1255101842427719680/photo/1

Vikings 2nd overall (3.83 avg grade). Cowboys 1st with (3.88 avg grade).
Packers DEAD last with a (1.02 average grade). HILARIOUS.

Don't know how 'expert' they are but Chicago is tied for 28th and Detroit is 17th.

It's tough for Chicago to have a big score when they didn't have a first rounder. They also gave up a fourth, which should be a high fourth for Nick Foles to challenge Trubisky whom they gave up the farm for. They could have waited until today and picked up Andy Dalton for nothing. And then they selected a tight end so that they can lead the league in tight ends, or something. Still, Green Bay did worse.

If Love is the next Favre/Rodgers than the Pukers did the right thing. I don't think he is.

My sense is that Rodgers time in Green Bay is limited. Whenever Love is ready they will move on from Rodgers via trade or some other avenue. That's what they did with Favre and I believe they will follow the same blueprint.

I'm not sure Rodgers' contract is even movable for the next 2-3 seasons.

My guess is by the time they move on from Rodgers, Love isn't even on the team anymore...

Love is not that good.....Erin is not going to help him. They better have great QB coach?

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 3858
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 7:00:00 PM   
David Levine

Shane Lemieux:

“Shane Lemieux has the potential to earn a job as a starting guard in a power-based scheme in the NFL. He has rare strength for the position, and is capable of tossing defensive linemen around like rag dolls. Lemieux does not have great scheme versatility and is likely best in a blocking scheme that mixes man/gap and inside zone concepts. Where he is drafted will likely be determined by which teams need his particular skill set most. Lemieux will likely be valued more highly by teams that use power-based blocking schemes.

“He has functional athleticism, but shouldn’t be asked to play in space or block a large range often. Lemieux is a very experienced lineman, starting 52 consecutive games for the Ducks, which also speaks to his durability and availability.”

--------------

A bit clunky when he's tasked with operating in space or working to mirror against quick footed pass rushers or stunts. Struggles to hit landmarks working outside the hashes. Redirectional quickness isn't where he hangs his hat, either — works best in the phone booth.

Summary - Shane Lemieux has the physical tools to be a starting guard in a gap/power offensive system. Teams reliant on guards to play frequently in space or in outside zone concepts won't find the same value in Lemieux, but downhill rushing offenses will find excellent power at the point of attack and stout play in tight quarters. Lemieux is highly experienced and functional athleticism meets requisite thresholds despite not being considered an asset to his game.

------------

Limited space mover who is accordingly a scheme specific fit at the next level. Wouldn't go so far as to call him a plodder, but he lacks explosive natural agility in tight areas to win in two-way goes when he initially misframes his opponent, and doesn't execute many reach blocks given his lack of lateral influence. Effective on the first level of combo blocks given power, but ineffective on the second because he lacks a good vertical spring to his step. Will overset at times in fan protection and give up quick inside rush lanes, which is concerning for his long-term projection, in that deep vertical sets will also expose his poor quickness. Flexibility is only average and there are balance concerns at times.
Post #: 3859
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 7:06:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Lemieux according to NFL.com: Lacks lateral movement qualities to get to reach blocks consistently

Prince according to NFL.com: Lacks lateral movement qualities to get to reach blocks consistently

We already got a better Tyler Johnson in the first round.

We currently have two of the best safeties in the entire league; no way do we pick Winfield where would have needed to.

Loved Robertson, but we'd already taken two much better CBs.

Time will tell on all of our quibbles with the Vikings' draft, and there are legit alternatives that seriously raise eyebrows, but this is a horrible list of alternatives.

Yep, "big, mean" isn't the ticket to impress Kubiak. "Impressive lateral footwork" would be.

No fire hydrant in a phone booth types!
Post #: 3860
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 7:08:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/30/5-players-minnesota-vikings-regret-passing-2020/6/ -----OUT

Shane Lemieux – G (Oregon) ----- OUT
Post #: 3861
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 7:13:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Lemieux: We took Wonnum, Lynch and Dye instead. I possibly would have preferred Lemieux to Wonnum. The Vikings obviously didn't. Scheme fit issue.

Tyler Johnson: We all love him around here. I would have used pick 155 for him. We didn't trade down we traded forward and up. We turned 155 this year into about 115 next year

Amik Robertson: We already had Gladney and Dantzler. We decided to go with the 6'2" Dantzler and I'm confident that was the right pick. Would have been bad allotment of draft capital to make CB 3 of our top 5 picks.

Prince Tega Wanogho: Draft boards loved him other than ones of actual GMs. He had been passed over many many times. Brandel per PFF was the best pass blocking tackle in the draft. The 6th best overall.

Antoine Winfield. Would have required a trade up to 45 costing us Cleveland and Dantzler.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/30/2020 7:31:50 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3862
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 8:21:48 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Like most of us, I get caught up in names and guys I've watched play at my favorite schools, but I tend to trust the paid scouting groups more than I do the few blerps I read on guys as the draft approaches.

I also was hoping for different guys at those spots, but after seeing the tape and reading the bio's on the guys we did take, I can't honestly say that I fault the Vikings for not taking the player I liked, I'm no scout and certainly hadn't done the kind of homework these guys do going into the draft. On a lot of boards, Brandel was rated 6th or 7th best tackle prospect, we got him at a very solid value and I really didn't know who he was. I can't drop them or judge them just because I don't know what they know.

You dropped a pretty solid draft down quite a bit for players in the 4th and 5th rounds, this is the areas of the draft that would only effect a "+" or "-" to the grade total for me. I give the team an initial B+, but it was really hard not to give them an "A". JMHO,

I certainly respect your right to grade any way you feel and I have been posting on these boards with you a long time and mean no disrespect at all, I'm just offering my opinion on the subject!
Post #: 3863
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 8:27:12 PM   
Dana Turner

Hunter Bryant, TE from Washington rated 96th overall. Hard to believe this guy didn't get drafted when he's rated in the top 100. 32 teams did not think he deserved a pick even into the 200's, wow, Detroit may just get substantial value for this kid! He has to make it and prove himself like everyone else, but to get him as an UDFA, pretty solid pickup for them.
Post #: 3864
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 8:44:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I don't see Osborne as a lock, he doesn't even look that great as a return guy.

They can keep Abdullah for that.

I posted some of the Quartney Davis highlights yesterday, it seems he might have a good shot.

Abdullah is a Kick off returner, Osborne is a punt returner. Significantly different skillsets.
Post #: 3865
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 9:23:03 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

That's it. Thank you!

Ricky!!!!

How are ya bud!

Hey Kurt!!!

I'm good. I hope you are doing well! Sure would like to see you again sometime - that last time was a gas!

Hope all is well in SD
Post #: 3866
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 10:26:28 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

Not sure this was posted anywhere. Composite of 22 draft experts

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1255101842427719680/photo/1

Vikings 2nd overall (3.83 avg grade). Cowboys 1st with (3.88 avg grade).
Packers DEAD last with a (1.02 average grade). HILARIOUS.

Don't know how 'expert' they are but Chicago is tied for 28th and Detroit is 17th.

It's tough for Chicago to have a big score when they didn't have a first rounder. They also gave up a fourth, which should be a high fourth for Nick Foles to challenge Trubisky whom they gave up the farm for. They could have waited until today and picked up Andy Dalton for nothing. And then they selected a tight end so that they can lead the league in tight ends, or something. Still, Green Bay did worse.

If Love is the next Favre/Rodgers than the Pukers did the right thing. I don't think he is.

My sense is that Rodgers time in Green Bay is limited. Whenever Love is ready they will move on from Rodgers via trade or some other avenue. That's what they did with Favre and I believe they will follow the same blueprint.

I'm not sure Rodgers' contract is even movable for the next 2-3 seasons.

My guess is by the time they move on from Rodgers, Love isn't even on the team anymore...

Aaron Rodgers contract dead cap money:
2020 - $51,148,000
2021 - $31,556,000
2022 - $17,204,000
2023 - $2,852,000

Erin and the Pukes are joined at the hip for the next 3 years.

Are they? They are for this year, that is certain, but they aren't next year. Next year Rodger's cap number is over 36 million dollars meaning they actually save almost 5 million in cap space by trading him next offseason. And the year after that, they would save a bunch more. They obviously cannot replace him with anyone expensive, it will have to be Jordan Love and a moderate priced backup/veteran, but it is doable. It may not happen until 2022 or even later than that, but it is possible starting next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/
Post #: 3867
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 11:29:09 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

Like most of us, I get caught up in names and guys I've watched play at my favorite schools, but I tend to trust the paid scouting groups more than I do the few blerps I read on guys as the draft approaches.

I also was hoping for different guys at those spots, but after seeing the tape and reading the bio's on the guys we did take, I can't honestly say that I fault the Vikings for not taking the player I liked, I'm no scout and certainly hadn't done the kind of homework these guys do going into the draft. On a lot of boards, Brandel was rated 6th or 7th best tackle prospect, we got him at a very solid value and I really didn't know who he was. I can't drop them or judge them just because I don't know what they know.

You dropped a pretty solid draft down quite a bit for players in the 4th and 5th rounds, this is the areas of the draft that would only effect a "+" or "-" to the grade total for me. I give the team an initial B+, but it was really hard not to give them an "A". JMHO,

I certainly respect your right to grade any way you feel and I have been posting on these boards with you a long time and mean no disrespect at all, I'm just offering my opinion on the subject!

That's the way I play it, too. Additionally, there's nothing I can do about any of it and once they're on the team they're "my guys" anyway, so I don't sweat it post draft. I do, however, take note of what happened and what didn't, and keep it in mind going forward in thinking about the draft and our management, esp Spielman. I wasn't crazy about him initially, though I liked him, but on balance he does a good job. The trading around is annoying to me, but what I think doesn't really matter. He gets some good value, misses out on some quality, finds quality under rocks, picks guys that seemed like they'd go undrafted, and culls value in guys like Lynch this year.

I'm in this for fun, and to me the draft is fun and results like this year's are gratifying as they play out. I'm excited to see what Hand, Osborn, Wonnum, Dantzler, and Hinton do, as well as UDFA Davis. And I can't wait to see if Samia, Udoh, Collins---whoever---can upgrade OG, and if Bradbury can fulfill the promise so many touted last year (esp since I bought into completely!).

Skol, bitches.
Post #: 3868
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 4/30/2020 11:37:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Just chatted with 11 of the 12 #Vikings UDFAs. The main takeaway: All of the newcomers who played college football with a current member of the team's roster are basically best friends with that person.

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

I don't think this a coincidence. It's possible that Spielman is listening to feedback from players and values new players having a mentor. I've heard it said that it's better to be a UFA than a late round pick. These players are very young and it must be scary to play with the big boys. A familiar face must be very welcome.

When I think about it some more, I can recall Harrison Smith and Kyle Rudolph came from Notre Dame, Barr and Kendricks played in the same defense at UCLA, and I believe there were other examples in the past. I'm sure some of it with the UFA's is that they want to come to Minnesota because there is a reason to choose the Vikings over another team, but I'm thinking that it's Spielman's little trick to help the team build better chemistry and for the players to be happier here.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/1/2020 4:58:15 AM >

Post #: 3869
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 5:42:02 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Just chatted with 11 of the 12 #Vikings UDFAs. The main takeaway: All of the newcomers who played college football with a current member of the team's roster are basically best friends with that person.

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

I don't think this a coincidence. It's possible that Spielman is listening to feedback from players and values new players having a mentor. I've heard it said that it's better to be a UFA than a late round pick. These players are very young and it must be scary to play with the big boys. A familiar face must be very welcome.

When I think about it some more, I can recall Harrison Smith and Kyle Rudolph came from Notre Dame, Barr and Kendricks played in the same defense at UCLA, and I believe there were other examples in the past. I'm sure some of it with the UFA's is that they want to come to Minnesota because there is a reason to choose the Vikings over another team, but I'm thinking that it's Spielman's little trick to help the team build better chemistry and for the players to be happier here.

That all makes sense.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3870
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 7:10:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

Agree a C+ is/was too harsh

The players listed a few posts above were the authors players he would have picked. I merely commented on it w/o researching the player. (thought that was the authors job)

I do stand by my guns that we should have picked a true LG somewhere in the 3rd rd though. Obviously a better scheme fit though.

Post #: 3871
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 8:50:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The interesting thing for me here are the pictures of the UFA's. It's about all we will get this year without any OTA's going to happen.

Edit:. Sorry. I forgot to include the link:

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-rookies-begin-nfl-careers-in-virtual-classroom-setting

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/1/2020 9:33:07 AM >

Post #: 3872
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:23:02 AM   
kgdabom

Now that we have had the rush of a 15 pick Vikings draft it's going to be brutal waiting months before we can see any of them in any kind of action. I want to see them playing now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3873
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:33:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm still surprised he slid to the seventh round. Willekes was consistently disruptive and is MSU's all-time leader in TFLs (51). He had 16 TFLs and 10.5 sacks last year. Willekes was named Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2018. A steal for the #Vikings.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

Post #: 3874
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:48:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I'm still surprised he slid to the seventh round. Willekes was consistently disruptive and is MSU's all-time leader in TFLs (51). He had 16 TFLs and 10.5 sacks last year. Willekes was named Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2018. A steal for the #Vikings.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

Weird...same can be said about Oden....was a great player for Northwestern and 4 year player.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3875
Page:   <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode