Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 10:51:17 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm still surprised he slid to the seventh round. Willekes was consistently disruptive and is MSU's all-time leader in TFLs (51). He had 16 TFLs and 10.5 sacks last year. Willekes was named Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2018. A steal for the #Vikings.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

He was a 2nd team all conference player for 2019. Not bad for a 7th round pick. He is rated the best DL in all the land against the run by PFF. The Vikings seem to agree with PFF a lot when it comes to linemen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3876
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 12:33:46 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

I'm still surprised he slid to the seventh round. Willekes was consistently disruptive and is MSU's all-time leader in TFLs (51). He had 16 TFLs and 10.5 sacks last year. Willekes was named Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2018. A steal for the #Vikings.

This is one of those kids that has been told all along he's not good enough. He just keeps going out and proving it. Adam was one of those guys that stuck with it long enough to prove everyone wrong, I hope this guy does too!
Post #: 3877
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 12:57:55 PM  3 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

This is one of those kids that has been told all along he's not good enough. He just keeps going out and proving (it)them wrong. Adam was one of those guys that stuck with it long enough to prove everyone wrong, I hope this guy does too!

I corrected that for you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3878
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 5:15:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Just chatted with 11 of the 12 #Vikings UDFAs. The main takeaway: All of the newcomers who played college football with a current member of the team's roster are basically best friends with that person.

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

I don't think this a coincidence. It's possible that Spielman is listening to feedback from players and values new players having a mentor. I've heard it said that it's better to be a UFA than a late round pick. These players are very young and it must be scary to play with the big boys. A familiar face must be very welcome.

When I think about it some more, I can recall Harrison Smith and Kyle Rudolph came from Notre Dame, Barr and Kendricks played in the same defense at UCLA, and I believe there were other examples in the past. I'm sure some of it with the UFA's is that they want to come to Minnesota because there is a reason to choose the Vikings over another team, but I'm thinking that it's Spielman's little trick to help the team build better chemistry and for the players to be happier here.

My bet is that this is that guy as he was tweeting.
Post #: 3879
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/1/2020 11:23:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Jefferson had a contested-catch rate of 92.3 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. No other receiver did better than 66.7 percent, and 50 percent is above average.

He shouldn't have fell to Minnesota @Vikings But I'm so happy he did though. Kid gonna be special #Skol https://t.co/rEQOkATBej

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3880
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 8:06:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

One of my favorite things about Justin Jefferson is how he can adjust and find the football. He has excellent body control and hands.

Not only that, but there are so many plays where he makes a defender miss and picks up extra yardage after the catch. #Vikings

Some highlights to watch here too:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1254456401557991424

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3881
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 8:44:01 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Jefferson had a contested-catch rate of 92.3 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. No other receiver did better than 66.7 percent, and 50 percent is above average.

He shouldn't have fell to Minnesota @Vikings But I'm so happy he did though. Kid gonna be special #Skol https://t.co/rEQOkATBej

That 92% contested catch rate sounds to good to be true. However, I'll take it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3882
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 8:59:28 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

That was one of the strengths of Diggs. He was one of the best in the league at that. The Vikings might have really wanted Jefferson for that very reason.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/19/stefon-diggs-ranked-as-2nd-best-wr-in-contested-catches-in-2018/

Post #: 3883
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 9:46:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was one of the strengths of Diggs. He was one of the best in the league at that. The Vikings might have really wanted Jefferson for that very reason.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/19/stefon-diggs-ranked-as-2nd-best-wr-in-contested-catches-in-2018/

Diggs is proof that contested catches aren't all about size.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3884
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 9:56:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

From today's paper, former NFL DB Torin Dorn says his son, safety Myles Dorn, wasn't drafted because he didn't get a chance to run for scouts and they think he's "slow as molasses" But Torin expects Myles to prove that incorrect after signing with #Vikings

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/myles-dorn?id=3219444f-5215-3736-1d36-4e4bbe4d7d11

Post #: 3885
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 10:44:24 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

From today's paper, former NFL DB Torin Dorn says his son, safety Myles Dorn, wasn't drafted because he didn't get a chance to run for scouts and they think he's "slow as molasses" But Torin expects Myles to prove that incorrect after signing with #Vikings

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/myles-dorn?id=3219444f-5215-3736-1d36-4e4bbe4d7d11

Lol

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3886
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 11:37:59 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without Justin Jefferson, Joe Burrow is an average quarterback.
Post #: 3887
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 12:29:52 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Lol

That's right, he's got syrup speed. You'll see.
Post #: 3888
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 1:41:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without Justin Jefferson, Joe Burrow is an average quarterback.

That would be awesome if Jefferson made Burrow. However, he couldn't make the QB before Burrow.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3889
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 2:53:41 PM  2 votes
marty

Good post on CHI. Who would you rather have Dalton or Foles (taking out cost)? Dalton is much more consistent but Foles has the chops getting hot to win a SB and lead the eagles to the playoffs in 18. I think with the team's defense I'd go with Dalton.

I'd go with Foles, he is more clutch.

The Bears arguably have the best coach in the division, and what has really been holding them back is poor throws from Trubisky. If Foles stays healthy, I think the Bears have a good shot at winning the division.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3890
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 2:55:05 PM   
marty

Sorry, I thought Abdullah also did punts, his shiftiness seems like a good quality for a punt returner.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3891
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 3:00:25 PM   
marty

Diggs is proof that contested catches aren't all about size.

Diggs, like with Moss, I felt like he was seeing things quicker than the defender, like his brain worked quicker. And that meant he was seeing the trajectory of the ball a little sooner, and could adjust his body better while he was up in the air, and after he made the catch.

Hopefully we see that same quality in Jefferson, and I also saw some of that with the film on Quartney Davis.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3892
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/2/2020 6:26:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I think you'll enjoy this!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1254237578372493317

Post #: 3893
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 1:33:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Jordan Fehr bench presses 415 lbs., has a 40.5" vertical leap and ran a 4.45 40. Not bad for a middle linebacker, but his most impressive feat may be that he was on of the best football scholars in the nation. He had turned down a scholarship at Harvard and was a semi finalist for the nation's top football player scholar award.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/3/2020 8:58:28 AM >

Post #: 3894
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 8:40:45 AM   
jbusse

quote:

Jordan Fehr bench presses 415 lbs., has a 40.5" vertical leap and raaccn a 4.45 40. Not bad for a middle linebacker, but his most impressive feat may be that he was on of the best football scholars in the nation. He had turned down a scholarship at Harvard and was a semi finalist for the nation's top football player scholar award.

Something is not quite right. First, if true, he would have to be the first person ever to turn down a Harvard scholarship to go to Appalachian State. Second, Harvard doesn't offer scholarships -- might be confusing a scholarship with financial aid, which is something that a significant fraction of students get these days at expensive universities.
Post #: 3895
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 9:10:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Jordan Fehr bench presses 415 lbs., has a 40.5" vertical leap and raaccn a 4.45 40. Not bad for a middle linebacker, but his most impressive feat may be that he was on of the best football scholars in the nation. He had turned down a scholarship at Harvard and was a semi finalist for the nation's top football player scholar award.

Something is not quite right. First, if true, he would have to be the first person ever to turn down a Harvard scholarship to go to Appalachian State. Second, Harvard doesn't offer scholarships -- might be confusing a scholarship with financial aid, which is something that a significant fraction of students get these days at expensive universities.

I stand corrected then. He is from North Carolina and opted to stay closer to home. His GPA was 3.77. He's smart and also one of those team captains that we seemed to prefer in the draft. A year ago I was watching with interest a fullback out of Vanderbilt who seemed to have really good measurables and did well in the preseason for us despite being a UFA. Blasingame was a team captain, as well in college.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/asu_sports/fehr-named-to-campbell-trophy-list/article_8dc91539-1c09-5d37-8859-33fe7e5242f3.html

Post #: 3896
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 9:16:21 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected then. He is from North Carolina and opted to stay closer to home. His GPA was 3.77. He's smart and also one of those team captains that we seemed to prefer in the draft. A year ago I was watching with interest a fullback out of Vanderbilt who seemed to have really good measurables and did well in the preseason for us despite being a UFA. Blasingame was a team captain, as well in college.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/asu_sports/fehr-named-to-campbell-trophy-list/article_8dc91539-1c09-5d37-8859-33fe7e5242f3.html

Not your mistake -- I recall reading that elsewhere. Seems implausible to me for many reasons.
Post #: 3897
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 10:17:03 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I thought Harvard offered academic scholarships. Just not sports scholarships.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3898
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 11:40:51 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought Harvard offered academic scholarships. Just not sports scholarships.

No, they do not. No ambiguity. Did Fehr turn down an admittance offer from Harvard? He says so.
Post #: 3899
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 2:23:33 PM   
unome

18 year olds do dumb things. I sure did. The part I find more interesting than the massive mistake of choosing Appalachian State over Harvard is the reported 4.45 40 and the 41" vertical especially when you add in a huge bench press number. Those are fairly ridiculous numbers for a 230 lbs LB. I am certainly more interested in the guy than I was before, but I definitely have a prove it mentality when it comes to these athletic numbers.
Post #: 3900
Page:   <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode