Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 3:25:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Jordan Fehr bench presses 415 lbs., has a 40.5" vertical leap and raaccn a 4.45 40. Not bad for a middle linebacker, but his most impressive feat may be that he was on of the best football scholars in the nation. He had turned down a scholarship at Harvard and was a semi finalist for the nation's top football player scholar award.

Something is not quite right. First, if true, he would have to be the first person ever to turn down a Harvard scholarship to go to Appalachian State. Second, Harvard doesn't offer scholarships -- might be confusing a scholarship with financial aid, which is something that a significant fraction of students get these days at expensive universities.

I thought Harvard offered academic scholarships. Just not sports scholarships.

No, they do not. No ambiguity. Did Fehr turn down an admittance offer from Harvard? He says so.

I am now his Twitter friend. I'll ask him.

Wait. I just checked online and Harvard offers no scholarships even for football players. However, they do provide financial help based on need. Just like you said.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/3/2020 3:33:22 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3901
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 3:29:19 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jordan Fehr bench presses 415 lbs., has a 40.5" vertical leap and raaccn a 4.45 40. Not bad for a middle linebacker, but his most impressive feat may be that he was on of the best football scholars in the nation. He had turned down a scholarship at Harvard and was a semi finalist for the nation's top football player scholar award.

Something is not quite right. First, if true, he would have to be the first person ever to turn down a Harvard scholarship to go to Appalachian State. Second, Harvard doesn't offer scholarships -- might be confusing a scholarship with financial aid, which is something that a significant fraction of students get these days at expensive universities.

No, they do not. No ambiguity. Did Fehr turn down an admittance offer from Harvard? He says so.

Maybe ask him about his 40 time and vertical as well. I am surprised he was not drafted if those numbers were anything even semi-official.
Post #: 3902
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 3:44:08 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe ask him about his 40 time and vertical as well. I am surprised he was not drafted if those numbers were anything even semi-official.

The 40 times here are quite a bit slower:

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1027865&DraftYear=2020

Outside chance to be the next Edmond Robinson.
Post #: 3903
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 5:19:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/3/21239048/breaking-down-jeff-gladney?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3904
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 5:28:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wait. I just checked online and Harvard offers no scholarships even for football players. However, they do provide financial help based on need. Just like you said.

A friend of mine Paul Cameron played on three straight state tournament teams for Little Falls 75-77. One champion and 2 third place finishes. He was runner up to Valedictorian I think that's what is called Salutatorian. He went to Brown another Ivy school on an academic scholarship is the way I recall it. He doubts he would have been offered that academic scholarship if not for his being a top notch athlete as well. That was 43 years ago so things might be different now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3905
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 9:56:49 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A friend of mine Paul Cameron played on three straight state tournament teams for Little Falls 75-77. One champion and 2 third place finishes. He was runner up to Valedictorian I think that's what is called Salutatorian. He went to Brown another Ivy school on an academic scholarship is the way I recall it. He doubts he would have been offered that academic scholarship if not for his being a top notch athlete as well. That was 43 years ago so things might be different now.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=does+harvard+offer+scholarships
Post #: 3906
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 9:59:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/04/28/behind-the-scenes-of-minnesota-vikings-virtual-draft?__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 3907
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/3/2020 11:49:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said Harvard or Brown were giving academic scholarships now. I thought they may have 43 years ago, but that seems unlikely. Just sharing what I remembered. Maybe I misunderstood. Maybe he was saying he wouldn't have been accepted on his academics alone and needed the athletics as another acceptance factor.
Now I'm curious about how much Financial Aid these schools might give. Can any poor person who is accepted go Ivy for free?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/4/2020 12:29:24 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3908
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/4/2020 1:09:43 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Christopherwiley@Mrwiley
@ArifHasanNFL Just did a bit of digging - the fastest 3-cone for an offensive lineman from the last 3 combines: 2018 - Brian O'Neill (7.14), 2019 - Garrett Bradbury (7.41), 2020 - Ezra Cleveland (7.26).

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3909
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/4/2020 7:54:08 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Christopherwiley@Mrwiley
@ArifHasanNFL Just did a bit of digging - the fastest 3-cone for an offensive lineman from the last 3 combines: 2018 - Brian O'Neill (7.14), 2019 - Garrett Bradbury (7.41), 2020 - Ezra Cleveland (7.26).

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 3910
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/4/2020 8:14:47 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said Harvard or Brown were giving academic scholarships now. I thought they may have 43 years ago, but that seems unlikely. Just sharing what I remembered. Maybe I misunderstood. Maybe he was saying he wouldn't have been accepted on his academics alone and needed the athletics as another acceptance factor.
Now I'm curious about how much Financial Aid these schools might give. Can any poor person who is accepted go Ivy for free?

They claim they are "need blind". If a student gets accepted, they'll provide sufficient financial aid. In reality, student applications provide sufficient information that a school can make an educated guess how much a particular applicant can afford to pay. Let's just say they're not going to accept too many students that can't pay.
Post #: 3911
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/4/2020 8:20:12 AM   
Bruce Johnson

(Christopher Wiley on Twitter)

Post #: 3912
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/4/2020 8:51:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They claim they are "need blind". If a student gets accepted, they'll provide sufficient financial aid. In reality, student applications provide sufficient information that a school can make an educated guess how much a particular applicant can afford to pay. Let's just say they're not going to accept too many students that can't pay.

Also they admit/accept students based on things other than academics if Risky Business can be believed.
I think they look at participation in student council and athletics that kind of stuff.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3913
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 8:18:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/5/21238989/breaking-down-cameron-dantzler?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Post #: 3914
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 9:02:01 AM   
Todd M

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/5/21238989/breaking-down-cameron-dantzler?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Let's see what he, and say Lynch are doing as we go along vs either of the G's that were taken ahead of us in the 3rd. It would/could have lost the chance at the 2 of them for one of the G's. Assuming we had a trade partner. Which people must assume we did.
Post #: 3915
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 9:10:27 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Let's see what he, and say Lynch are doing as we go along vs either of the G's that were taken ahead of us in the 3rd. It would/could have lost the chance at the 2 of them for one of the G's. Assuming we had a trade partner. Which people must assume we did.

Yeah people clamoring for the trade up have to be willing to accept the lost opportunities later. I prefer Lynch to all the round 3 DTs and Dantzler is IMO a steal at 89. I don't even know who we would have picked at G if we had traded up.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3916
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 9:20:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Dantzler is going to be on KFAN in a few minutes.

Post #: 3917
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 9:21:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Is he the skinniest player in the NFL (once he signs)? If not who?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3918
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 10:36:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I streamed it. He sounded like a bright young man. The interviewer didn't.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3919
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 3:56:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Is he the skinniest player in the NFL (once he signs)? If not who?

This guy.

@
\|/
/ \
Post #: 3920
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 3:59:37 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Not so much assuming we did, more of never giving it a thought.
Post #: 3921
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/5/2020 10:45:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'll have to listen to this later. Looks good.

https://amp.kstp.com/articles/jeremy-modkins-tcu-jeff-gladney-vikings-analysis-5721027.html?__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 3922
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/6/2020 8:17:10 AM   
Bruce Johnson

More on Gladney.

https://wp.me/p7aESs-916

Post #: 3923
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/6/2020 10:15:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

More on our first pick. It says he will be good beating the press and catches everything.

https://climbingthepocket.com/2020/05/06/scouting-report-justin-jefferson/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 3924
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/6/2020 12:50:35 PM   
lyle chabot

quote:

More on our first pick. It says he will be good beating the press and catches everything.

https://climbingthepocket.com/2020/05/06/scouting-report-justin-jefferson/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bruce thank you for sharing all this information on the draft!
Post #: 3925
Page:   <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  155 156 [157] 158 159   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode