Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 5:16:01 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Mitchell has some connection to a star pro, thought he was a shoe-in.
Post #: 3951
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 5:27:51 PM   
Pager

Penny Hardaway.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3952
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 5:34:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Mitchell didn't look like a precise route runner and was constantly dropping passes in the college tape I saw. I've also read he's not a willful/proficient blocker which would be important in our offense. Add in not knowing the playbook (if true) and you've got 4 very good reasons why he didn't see the 53 man roster.

To be fair - He looked good with the ball in his hands. But that's not enough in my opinion for the type of offense Kubiak runs.

That's his strength. Its getting the ball into his hands that has been an issue:

quote:

The big concern for Mitchell is his small frame and his inability to beat press coverage at the line of scrimmage. He does not offer much in run blocking or in contested areas, so his role may be limited. Mitchell also had his struggles with drops in college.
Post #: 3953
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 5:53:08 PM   
Dana Turner

I'm a PAC 10/12 guy, have been a Husky fan for 45 years. I've seen Mitchell play and for the life of me I can't understand the obsession KGB has with this guy, but OK. There are several guys on the roster right now that are every bit as good or better than him, not sure why someone would get so committed on a guy that is simply OK as a receiver. The coaches are there with him every day, they and the trainers see his every day effort and potential. It's not a surprise that we brought in another five guys to compete for the six roster spots! Sorry KGB, this guy is just a guy or he would have shown it by now. True, it took a couple of years for an undrafted Adam T to show he belonged, but that guy was busting his ass every day and the coaches couldn't help notice what it meant to him. Different people, Mitchell seems more like one of those guys that expects it to happen for him just because he showed up, tons of those guys around! We shall see, maybe he will surprise, but I don't see him making the 53/55, whatever it is now. No offense, just say'in.
Post #: 3954
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 6:02:35 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I read an article that suggest Cleveland is more pro ready than ONeil. Can't find it now but it said ONeil had been adding weight, waking up to eat PnJ sandwiches at 3am. And still was only 297 when drafted. Where Cleveland has been around 315 lbs for several years. I think his combine weight was 311.

I don't think its a stretch to believe he can build core strength and add 5-10 lbs between now and training camp.

I'm psyched for Cleveland. As I already posted those who are acting like he's 100% not ready are going to be looking silly after the season. I'm not declaring stardom this year, but I am declaring him to be ready to hold his own.

Hopefully Zimmer can restrain himself from diabolically sabotaging Cleveland's opportunity.

That guy really has it in for you.

I stand by my belief that Zimmer has unfairly held Mitchell back. It can't be proven one way or another.

It is the least likely explanation. Most likely, it’s about Mitchell, not Zimmer ....

and you not being able to admit when you are wrong.

I would admit to being wrong if I did in fact believe I was wrong. I don't mind you all mocking my belief in Mitchell. I get it. I still believe I'm right.

You declared that Mitchell would be the third best WR on the team ... last season. He wasn’t even close regardless of the reason.

I can’t speak for anybody else but I’m not mocking you because of your belief in Mitchell (I hope he turns into a player). I am giving you a hard time because you predicted the sun would rise in the west last year - BUT - instead of just moving on when it didn’t, you create unsubstantiated excuses and look much worse than if you had just cut your losses.

You’ve turned a small but bold draft prediction into a huge blunder that grows every time you speak to it. IMO.
Post #: 3955
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 6:24:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

The Vikings have promoted/played UDFAs and 7th rounders without qualms (on both sides of the ball) which destroys KGB's conspiracy theory. Zimmer didn't make the call. Stefanski/Kubiak made the call. Kubiak doesn't have a history of a bias, at least to my knowledge. If Mitchell was proficient in the areas needed to be a contributing WR in the NFL, I think he'd be playing.

+1 Pager

Rookies aren't always ready their first year....Diggs, Thielen....Even a possible top 10 WR of all time (CC). Learning a playbook, etc. take time. I just see a lot of guys in front of Mitchell success. Thielen, Jefferson, Bisi, Hollins, Beebe.....plus they drafted a 5th rounder, signed Sharpe, a couple of UDFA. Hard to agree with you at face value. I don't think it has anything to do with Zimmer. He let Bisi play last year.

Diggs was absolutely ready his first year. Just because it took Zimmer 4 games to see it doesn't make it so. His first 3 NFL games:

1. 6 reception, 87 yards - and he made Denver's All-Pro CBs look silly multiple times.
2. 7 receptions, 109 yards.
3. 6 receptions, 108 yards and a TD.

And despite only playing ~60% of the snaps, ended up leading the team in receptions, receiving yards and was one off the lead for receiving TDs.

Evidence that the Vikings coaching staff doesn't always get it right. Hopefully Mitchell will emerge this season.

What evidence? Attitude, Playbook, etc.? After seeing Diggs attitude now what evidence do you have to his maturity his rookie season? Being on the PS most of the season the coaches are watching Mitchell...if he shows something in practice---he should get Playing Time.

That's what I'm hoping.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3956
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 6:27:02 PM   
Tom Sykes

Kind of like I did wanting to draft a G in the 3rd this year instead of taking 4 picks.
Post #: 3957
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 6:28:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I read an article that suggest Cleveland is more pro ready than ONeil. Can't find it now but it said ONeil had been adding weight, waking up to eat PnJ sandwiches at 3am. And still was only 297 when drafted. Where Cleveland has been around 315 lbs for several years. I think his combine weight was 311.

I don't think its a stretch to believe he can build core strength and add 5-10 lbs between now and training camp.

I'm psyched for Cleveland. As I already posted those who are acting like he's 100% not ready are going to be looking silly after the season. I'm not declaring stardom this year, but I am declaring him to be ready to hold his own.

Hopefully Zimmer can restrain himself from diabolically sabotaging Cleveland's opportunity.

I stand by my belief that Zimmer has unfairly held Mitchell back. It can't be proven one way or another.

It is the least likely explanation. Most likely, it’s about Mitchell, not Zimmer ....

and you not being able to admit when you are wrong.

I would admit to being wrong if I did in fact believe I was wrong. I don't mind you all mocking my belief in Mitchell. I get it. I still believe I'm right.

You declared that Mitchell would be the third best WR on the team ... last season. He wasn’t even close regardless of the reason.

I can’t speak for anybody else but I’m not mocking you because of your belief in Mitchell (I hope he turns into a player). I am giving you a hard time because you predicted the sun would rise in the west last year - BUT - instead of just moving on when it didn’t, you create unsubstantiated excuses and look much worse than if you had just cut your losses.

You’ve turned a small but bold draft prediction into a huge blunder that grows every time you speak to it. IMO.

I think he was the 3rd best receiver we had last year. I don't mind the mockery. I'm still hopeful he rises to the top like the cream he is. I don't care if it makes me look bad. I'm not here to impress anybody. I admit I would get some gratification if he makes the active roster this year. I think it would improve our team.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/7/2020 6:32:35 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3958
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 7:48:14 PM   
Tom Sykes

Every other WR on the roster last year produced more and was better. Every other TE, RB, and FB on the roster last year produced more in the passing game.

Your just being obtuse and small-minded.

I’m done.
Post #: 3959
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/7/2020 8:02:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Every other WR on the roster last year produced more and was better. Every other TE, RB, and FB on the roster last year produced more in the passing game.

Your just being obtuse and small-minded.

I’m done.

thank you.
I don't think practice squad is considered on the roster.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/7/2020 8:10:22 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3960
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 2:45:38 AM   
marty

In defense of Kgdabom, Mitchell looked REALLY good on the college clips.

And this year, it's Quartney Davis that is the late pick that looks REALLY good in the college clips.

I would be VERY surprised if Jefferson isn't a stud, looks like a natural. And wouldn't it be great if both Mitchell and Davis are both future studs that open up a nice competition with Bisi for the #3 WR spot.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3961
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 8:23:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

And this year, it's Quartney Davis that is the late pick that looks REALLY good in the college clips.

I would be VERY surprised if Jefferson isn't a stud, looks like a natural. And wouldn't it be great if both Mitchell and Davis are both future studs that open up a nice competition with Bisi for the #3 WR spot.

I doubt if either is a stud, but they could be #3 WRs. Bisi is that hard working nice guy that doesn't have the talent.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/8/2020 8:26:24 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3962
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 8:46:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I doubt if either is a stud, but they could be #3 WRs. Bisi is that hard working nice guy that doesn't have the talent.

Bisi came from a very good WR college. Recent guys in the NFL. Rashard Higgins, Michael Gallup, Preston Williams.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/8/2020 8:47:11 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3963
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 10:01:47 AM   
lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmer held me back as well. I always KNEW I was NFL Nose Tackle material so I sent him a clip of me benching 40 reps and still no camp invite. OK, to be fair, it was 40 reps of just the bar and I filmed it in 3 takes. He responded "LOL" and implied I was a bit light for a Nose Tackle. I then told him that "I weighed 480 lbs., on Jupiter, and, anyway, I believe in mind over matter, so there". He then insured me that if the NFL ever plays a game on Jupiter that he would give me a call. So I have that in my back pocket, which is nice.

You cannot prove this story one way or another.

Post #: 3964
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 10:23:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Troy Dye and Jeff Gladney played through torn meniscuses last year. Ezra Cleveland had turf toe. Yet all three found a way to perform through the pain.

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3965
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 10:49:54 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Troy Dye and Jeff Gladney played through torn meniscuses last year. Ezra Cleveland had turf toe. Yet all three found a way to perform through the pain.

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

I find that encouraging, especially with Cleveland. He apparently, only saw contact in games. His was limited in what he could do in practice. A lot of strength concerns could be tied to the turf toe. Trying to plant your feet and hold your ground or drive another large individual backwards is a pretty painful endeavor with turf toe.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3966
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 11:06:22 AM   
jbusse

quote:

In comparing Cleveland to Brian O'Neil, I didn't realized O'Neil had such a short wingspan or that Cleveland was as strong as he appears to be.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brian-oneill
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ezra-cleveland
Post #: 3967
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 3:51:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Cleveland was projected to "possibly" go in the first round. He was a very good value. O'Neill was seen more as "raw", but with potential. He was selected right about where he was projected, but his potential seems to becoming a reality.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3968
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 6:10:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Speaking of comparing O'Neil and Cleveland, here's a video that does exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOzyBx-6Hk&feature=youtu.be

Post #: 3969
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 9:19:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

I find that encouraging, especially with Cleveland. He apparently, only saw contact in games. His was limited in what he could do in practice. A lot of strength concerns could be tied to the turf toe. Trying to plant your feet and hold your ground or drive another large individual backwards is a pretty painful endeavor with turf toe.

Isn't turf toe one of those high recidivist conditions?
Post #: 3970
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 9:39:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

(Sam Ekstrom on Twitter)

Isn't turf toe one of those high recidivist conditions?

Could be, but I never heard that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3971
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/8/2020 11:32:20 PM   
unome

While an athlete can heal from turf toe and return to sports, unfortunately, turf toe often returns and can reduce the long-term function of the big toe joint. Arthritis of the big toe is quite common in those who suffer repeated turf injuries or trauma to the big toe joint.5 In fact, most professional football players will have some degree of arthritis and limited flexibility in their toes by the time they retire.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-turf-toe-3120323
Post #: 3972
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/9/2020 12:25:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The footwork reminds me of Diggs.

https://twitter.com/footwork_king1/status/1258808517693235209?s=09

Post #: 3973
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/9/2020 1:57:34 AM   
David F.

quote:

The footwork reminds me of Diggs.

https://twitter.com/footwork_king1/status/1258808517693235209?s=09

quote:

done.

Not even close. Diggs has quickness because of how efficient he is with his steps. This guy is taking too many steps and dragging his feet at times.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3974
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 5/9/2020 3:01:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Maybe with good coaching he can fix that. We'll see.

Post #: 3975
Page:   <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  157 158 [159] 160 161   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode