Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/10/2020 5:25:03 PM   
Dave Odle

Yep, got pick #105 and a couple of 7th rounders. Not too shabby!

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 176
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/10/2020 5:47:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

According to the draft value chart, the pick 105 is worth more than the rest of our draft combined. (after that pick, I mean)

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 177
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/10/2020 6:11:08 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

According to the draft value chart, the pick 105 is worth more than the rest of our draft combined. (after that pick, I mean)

Nice! Article a couple of months ago said it had been downgraded to a 4th. In a deep CB & WR draft, I really hope we get a impactful DT or IOL that falls to us. OR I hope trader Rick is aggressive in moving up if a Kinslaw drops to mid-teens (or some other similar scenario).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 178
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/10/2020 6:17:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Nice! Article a couple of months ago said it had been downgraded to a 4th. In a deep CB & WR draft, I really hope we get a impactful DT or IOL that falls to us. OR I hope trader Rick is aggressive in moving up if a Kinslaw drops to mid-teens (or some other similar scenario).

The extra 7th Rounders should keep Speilman on the attack, not moving back.
Post #: 179
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 7:13:41 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is different. It's not an attempt to predict what will actually happen, though.

Welcome to my first official Round 1 simulation of the 2020 draft season! My analytics-based mock is based solely on a contextual, data-driven model that aims to do one thing: maximize each team's potential to win as many games as possible in 2020.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105216/article/cynthia-frelund-2020-nfl-mock-draft-who-would-analytics-pick

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 180
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 8:06:17 AM  1 votes
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

march 10, 2020...vikings.com

"The Vikings were awarded a third-round comp pick (the 105th overall selection), plus a pair of seventh-round selections (picks No. 249 and 253)."

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 181
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 1:14:04 PM   
Mark Anderson

Some wild talk on PA's show today. He was talking with Birk about FA and PA mentioned that a well respected ESPN Reporter said that SF covets Cousins and might trade for him. SF would only take a 4M dead cap hit for cutting Garropolo.

The talk turned to freeing up 31M while gaining at least a 1st Rounder. Then signing Teddy or some other FA QB.

Thoughts?
Post #: 182
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 1:31:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Some wild talk on PA's show today. He was talking with Birk about FA and PA mentioned that a well respected ESPN Reporter said that SF covets Cousins and might trade for him. SF would only take a 4M dead cap hit for cutting Garropolo.

The talk turned to freeing up 31M while gaining at least a 1st Rounder. Then signing Teddy or some other FA QB.

Thoughts?

I would do it...Teddy looked good last year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 183
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 3:24:32 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

The extra 7th Rounders should keep Speilman on the attack, not moving back.

Lol. Or Rick might make enough trades so he has all 32 7th rd picks.

I don't think he's ever landed the "Mr Irrevelant" pick yet

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 184
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 3:27:35 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Thoughts?

That's not a bad idea

Post #: 185
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 4:26:22 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Thoughts?

That's not a bad idea

I'm on board!
Post #: 186
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 5:27:21 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Thoughts?

Well, Cousins would fit very well in S.F. and be very good for what they are trying to do on offense. I doubt it happens, but if I'm sitting in Ricks chair, I'd have to take a serious look at it if there was an offer! Teddy would be very welcome by the Vikings and their fan base, but like I mentioned, tough seeing that happen.
Post #: 187
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 6:40:00 PM   
Pager

The idea that San Fran is going add 5 or 6M to salary cap and give up draft capital to make that switch is stooopid. They'll wait till next year when he's UFA.

I wasn't that impressed with Teddy's play last year. It would depend on what he's asking for. 20M/per or less- that can upgrade the rest of the team enough to make it worth considering. 25M and up, I'm not on board.

Post #: 188
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 8:50:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

The idea that San Fran is going add 5 or 6M to salary cap and give up draft capital to make that switch is stooopid. They'll wait till next year when he's UFA.

I wasn't that impressed with Teddy's play last year. It would depend on what he's asking for. 20M/per or less- that can upgrade the rest of the team enough to make it worth considering. 25M and up, I'm not on board.

That's an entire season when they've got a SB window, these don't always last.
Post #: 189
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 9:26:09 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

When their current QB got them to the superbowl and has what 20 some career starts? Is cheaper, and it would require draft capital to obtain a new QB?

It's stoopid speculation.

Post #: 190
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/11/2020 10:04:34 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

When their current QB got them to the superbowl and has what 20 some career starts? Is cheaper, and it would require draft capital to obtain a new QB?

I agree with that. But IF they thought that Cousins was that piece that had them bringing the Lombardi home, I don't think they would balk over a 1st round pick and $6M to get him there in 2020 vs 2021, the alternative in effect (in their mind) throwing away a season of their SB window.
Post #: 191
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 7:36:14 AM   
Bill Jandro

If they gave us pick 31 I'd do it and trade up and draft Jordan Love.

Post #: 192
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 9:51:19 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If they gave us pick 31 I'd do it and trade up and draft Jordan Love.

And still get Teddy or Tannehill
Post #: 193
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 10:28:43 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with that. But IF they thought that Cousins was that piece that had them bringing the Lombardi home, I don't think they would balk over a 1st round pick and $6M to get him there in 2020 vs 2021, the alternative in effect (in their mind) throwing away a season of their SB window.

The last team to think he was that piece that had them bring the Lombardi home didn't get what they were expecting...

SF would be wiser to stick with Garapolo.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 194
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 10:34:32 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I think it is far more likely that the Vikings get a renegotiated contract with Cousins for cap relief and extend him a couple years than trading with the 49ers. It seems odd they would be willing to take on Cousins cap hit along with a dead cap hit for releasing Garappolo. Jimmy G isn't that bad. he didn't have to throw much in the playoffs because their running game was insanely good. ANY coach would stick to the run if it is that effective as it is less risky and it controls the ball/clock. Jimmy G has a really good win/loss record as a starting QB.

I think if a trade were to occur part of the deal would be that Cousins and Jimmy G would swap teams. Then we wouldn't get nearly as much cap relief and likely little or no draft pick compensation.

All of this is considering that Cousins would be willing to waive his no trade clause.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 195
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 12:30:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I think it is far more likely that the Vikings get a renegotiated contract with Cousins for cap relief and extend him a couple years than trading with the 49ers. It seems odd they would be willing to take on Cousins cap hit along with a dead cap hit for releasing Garappolo. Jimmy G isn't that bad. he didn't have to throw much in the playoffs because their running game was insanely good. ANY coach would stick to the run if it is that effective as it is less risky and it controls the ball/clock. Jimmy G has a really good win/loss record as a starting QB.

I think if a trade were to occur part of the deal would be that Cousins and Jimmy G would swap teams. Then we wouldn't get nearly as much cap relief and likely little or no draft pick compensation.

All of this is considering that Cousins would be willing to waive his no trade clause.

Supposedly, Shanahan loves Cousins from the time in Washington.
Post #: 196
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 1:52:53 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Supposedly, Shanahan loves Cousins from the time in Washington.

I don't think that's enough to overcome the cap issues, No trade clauses, compensation they'd have to give up etc to get Cousins and in the end, Cousins hasn't pushed the Vikings over the hump, they'd be fools to expect it to work there when it didn't here. and didn't in Washington.

So Coach man-love probably isn't enough to make a trade likely.

I am not saying I don't support it. Personally I like Cousins, but I am on a fence as to whether he's worth keeping other than cap concerns. It would be nice to get out from under the cap hit he's provided, but it's not like we can get another QB without incurring yet another large (possibly larger) cap hit than Cousins was giving us. There are QBs available but could be had for cheaper, I suppose like Teddy, But there is no guarantee we get him.

So What if we do this trade and end up with the only option being Jaimous Winston?

Love the moxy but he's a turnover machine.

I Think sticking with Cousins on a renegotiated deal might be the best option.

Post #: 197
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 8:20:24 PM   
beo

quote:

I'm not sure why people think Kirk is going to sign a deal that would give the Vikes cap relief.
He has been very consistent in saying he believes a player should get max value and fought for a a fully guaranteed contract.
Why would you expect him to do anything different going forward?

My guess is he is going to expect basically max money guaranteed which won't give the Vikes much, if any, cap relief.

It's another wart on Kirk as a QB... he does some really really good stuff but he certainly has baggage as well.

I'm hoping we somehow draft a qb that ends up being a franchise guy... you then have 5ish years to run at the superbowl with non qb cap issues.
Even after that... if the guy is good enough you can work with it... but I'm not excited about guys like Kirk or Brees (even Favre to some degree back in the day) that proiritize money over everything. I'm not expecting a 50% discount but guys like Brady/Mahomes who understand they can help the team build a winner are very very appealing.
Post #: 198
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 8:40:11 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

I'm not sure why people think Kirk is going to sign a deal that would give the Vikes cap relief.
He has been very consistent in saying he believes a player should get max value and fought for a a fully guaranteed contract.
Why would you expect him to do anything different going forward?

My guess is he is going to expect basically max money guaranteed which won't give the Vikes much, if any, cap relief.

It's another wart on Kirk as a QB... he does some really really good stuff but he certainly has baggage as well.

I'm hoping we somehow draft a qb that ends up being a franchise guy... you then have 5ish years to run at the superbowl with non qb cap issues.
Even after that... if the guy is good enough you can work with it... but I'm not excited about guys like Kirk or Brees (even Favre to some degree back in the day) that proiritize money over everything. I'm not expecting a 50% discount but guys like Brady/Mahomes who understand they can help the team build a winner are very very appealing.

Because they'll guarantee another $90-110 million in the re-worked contract.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 199
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 8:54:28 PM   
JT2

Mike McCartney might be the best thing that ever happened to Cousins professional career.

They have a lot in common, and he has procured amazing results for his client.

I have no reason to believe that the Vikings have the upper hand in any Cousins transaction/negotiation.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 3/12/2020 8:56:02 PM >
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode