Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/12/2020 9:07:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I think it is far more likely that the Vikings get a renegotiated contract with Cousins for cap relief and extend him a couple years than trading with the 49ers. It seems odd they would be willing to take on Cousins cap hit along with a dead cap hit for releasing Garappolo. Jimmy G isn't that bad. he didn't have to throw much in the playoffs because their running game was insanely good. ANY coach would stick to the run if it is that effective as it is less risky and it controls the ball/clock. Jimmy G has a really good win/loss record as a starting QB.

I think if a trade were to occur part of the deal would be that Cousins and Jimmy G would swap teams. Then we wouldn't get nearly as much cap relief and likely little or no draft pick compensation.

All of this is considering that Cousins would be willing to waive his no trade clause.

I'm not sure why people think Kirk is going to sign a deal that would give the Vikes cap relief.
He has been very consistent in saying he believes a player should get max value and fought for a a fully guaranteed contract.
Why would you expect him to do anything different going forward?

My guess is he is going to expect basically max money guaranteed which won't give the Vikes much, if any, cap relief.

It's another wart on Kirk as a QB... he does some really really good stuff but he certainly has baggage as well.

I'm hoping we somehow draft a qb that ends up being a franchise guy... you then have 5ish years to run at the superbowl with non qb cap issues.
Even after that... if the guy is good enough you can work with it... but I'm not excited about guys like Kirk or Brees (even Favre to some degree back in the day) that proiritize money over everything. I'm not expecting a 50% discount but guys like Brady/Mahomes who understand they can help the team build a winner are very very appealing.

Majomes?
Post #: 201
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/13/2020 10:33:31 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I think it is far more likely that the Vikings get a renegotiated contract with Cousins for cap relief and extend him a couple years than trading with the 49ers. It seems odd they would be willing to take on Cousins cap hit along with a dead cap hit for releasing Garappolo. Jimmy G isn't that bad. he didn't have to throw much in the playoffs because their running game was insanely good. ANY coach would stick to the run if it is that effective as it is less risky and it controls the ball/clock. Jimmy G has a really good win/loss record as a starting QB.

I think if a trade were to occur part of the deal would be that Cousins and Jimmy G would swap teams. Then we wouldn't get nearly as much cap relief and likely little or no draft pick compensation.

All of this is considering that Cousins would be willing to waive his no trade clause.

I'm not sure why people think Kirk is going to sign a deal that would give the Vikes cap relief.
He has been very consistent in saying he believes a player should get max value and fought for a a fully guaranteed contract.
Why would you expect him to do anything different going forward?

My guess is he is going to expect basically max money guaranteed which won't give the Vikes much, if any, cap relief.

It's another wart on Kirk as a QB... he does some really really good stuff but he certainly has baggage as well.

I'm hoping we somehow draft a qb that ends up being a franchise guy... you then have 5ish years to run at the superbowl with non qb cap issues.
Even after that... if the guy is good enough you can work with it... but I'm not excited about guys like Kirk or Brees (even Favre to some degree back in the day) that proiritize money over everything. I'm not expecting a 50% discount but guys like Brady/Mahomes who understand they can help the team build a winner are very very appealing.

Majomes?

I suppose it's all talk until a deal is signed... but nice to see guys thinking about the bigger picture.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/06/patrick-mahomes-doesnt-want-contract-to-keep-chiefs-from-winning/
Post #: 202
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/14/2020 7:23:02 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings 2013 draft class is now eradicated.

-IDL Sharrif Floyd
-CB Xavier Rhodes
-WR Cordarrelle Patterson
-LB Gerald Hodges
-P Jeff Locke
-G Jeff Baca
-LB Michael Mauti
-G Travis Bond
-IDL Everett Dawkins

(Purple Post on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 203
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/14/2020 9:53:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Cousins also laid out his priorities. He felt he already put up the stats and his next goal was to win. He should be seeing that sucking a lot of the cap adversely impacts the teams ability to sign talent. So perhaps he will sign off on some cap friendly deal.
Post #: 204
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/14/2020 10:04:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Not sure why a Vikings fan would be infatuated with a first round pick.

Here are 11 starters who were not taken in the first round:
- Hunter
- Theilen
- Diggs
- Cook
- O'Neal
- Kendricks
- Harris
- Mac Alexander
- Griffen
- Rudolph
- Smith first round but 29th

I don't want to list some of the vaunted first round turds, especially considering how much they get paid on their first contract.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2020 10:05:21 AM >
Post #: 205
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/15/2020 7:44:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Draftnetwork looks at the Vikings.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/minnesota-vikings-nfl-draft-xavier-rhodes-replacement

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 206
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/15/2020 10:29:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

New England has a league-high compliment of 4 comp picks including two third rounders and two more in the 6th round.
Post #: 207
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/15/2020 7:59:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Stefon Diggs is a prototypical flanker—elite route runner & deep threat but doesn't win with physicality

Adam Thielen is a prototypical big slot—bullies smaller nickels & really understands leverage to win in the middle of the field

What the Vikings are missing is a true X

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

This is Olson's suggestion in free agency.

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/1239248951196483588?s=19

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/15/2020 8:01:30 PM >

Post #: 208
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/16/2020 12:06:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880348-nfl-draft-400-ranking-the-2020-drafts-top-players-at-every-position

Post #: 209
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/17/2020 7:29:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I think if the Vikings actually begin the draft with all 13 picks it's gross mismanagement. You can't field a team of rookies.

(Luke Braun on Twitter)

Post #: 210
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/17/2020 7:47:43 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I think if the Vikings actually begin the draft with all 13 picks it's gross mismanagement. You can't field a team of rookies.

(Luke Braun on Twitter)

He should be able to move up 2-3 times and get targeted players.
Post #: 211
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/17/2020 6:27:44 PM   
joejitsu

I think that we’ll get a interior d lineman and a receiver like Shenault in the first round.
Post #: 212
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/17/2020 9:49:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

Speilman will be able to double up this year.

USC's Austin Jackson and Michael Pittman.
Post #: 213
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 1:15:22 AM   
kgdabom

Rookie WRs are almost never sure things, but if their is a sure fire star WR from this draft who is it. Is there a strong consensus? Is it Ruggs or Jeudy from Bama or Ceedee Lamb. Could we package a third with one of our firsts to move up and get the best WR from this class? Would it take our second or heaven forbid both first round picks?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 214
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 7:23:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom
Rookie WRs are almost never sure things, but if their is a sure fire star WR from this draft who is it. Is there a strong consensus? Is it Ruggs or Jeudy from Bama or Ceedee Lamb. Could we package a third with one of our firsts to move up and get the best WR from this class? Would it take our second or heaven forbid both first round picks?

Sure fire talent ever in the NFL? There is a ton of talent in one of the biggest bunch of WR talent.....grab 2 or 3 and a FA and see what happens......Bisi, Mitchell, and Hollins last year could be in the mix also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 215
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 8:46:46 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Lamb is expected to go in top ten.

Juedy is a possibility in a slight trade up from 22. Excellent route runner.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 216
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 9:27:57 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Read Pittman's draft profile. Zimmer's kind of WR.
Post #: 217
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:22:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Sure fire talent ever in the NFL? There is a ton of talent in one of the biggest bunch of WR talent.....grab 2 or 3 and a FA and see what happens......Bisi, Mitchell, and Hollins last year could be in the mix also.

Of course there is never a sure thing, but more or less there are. Saquon Barkley IMO was a sure thing. Megatron was a sure thing. Luck was a sure thing. I take it there is nobody as sure as those were, but how good are these guys supposed to be. Seems that Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are VERY nice prospects. I would like us to get one of those.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 218
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:25:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Pittman is really good too

Question is do we use #22 pick on a wr?

Didn't work out worth a damn last time we followed that model.

Perhaps trading back with one of the 1st rd picks and doubling down on two good wr's in the 2nd certainly would bolster the chances of hitting on one of them.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 219
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:25:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Juedy was the front runner going into the combine, but didn't test particularly well. Ruggs tested insanely well. Lamb was as advertised. Odds are we do have to trade up for any of those. I'm guessing we don't trade both our firsts, but if one of the three falls to 15 or later I can see us making a move.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 220
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:28:07 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

As is Chase Claypoole. The only WR other than Megatron weighing 235 or more and running about a 4.45 40. If we truly want our WRs to be primarily blockers for Cook he would fit the bill.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 221
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:29:51 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps trading back with one of the 1st rd picks and doubling down on two good wr's in the 2nd certainly would bolster the chances of hitting on one of them.

That player that shall not be named was a case of Vikings panic and stupidity. This is supposed to be the best WR draft of all time. We might wait until the 2nd or 3rd and still get somebody exceptional.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 222
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:40:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's what I was thinking.
Post #: 223
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:43:55 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course there is never a sure thing, but more or less there are. Saquon Barkley IMO was a sure thing. Megatron was a sure thing. Luck was a sure thing. I take it there is nobody as sure as those were, but how good are these guys supposed to be. Seems that Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs are VERY nice prospects. I would like us to get one of those.

Quenton Nelson on that sure thing list as well, drafted 6th in the 1st round.
Post #: 224
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 3/18/2020 10:46:46 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quenton Nelson on that sure thing list as well, drafted 6th in the 1st round.

My understanding is that he has lived up to his press clippings as well.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode