Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 8:16:34 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

If everyone had stayed home for three weeks and never left the house, the virus would have been gone in April. Impossible, I understand, but close to factual. How many would have starved to death over three weeks versus 11 months of misery and 500k dead? We don't live in a vacuum and the entire world would have to agree to participate, but it is what it is.

At the beginning the doctors said between 100,000-240,000 would die. I'd say we've radically underperformed as a nation. I never saw a half mil dying from this thing. It was the perfect storm of a dangerous virus mixed with an incredibly spoiled and entitled nation.

Don't forget to put some blame on the jackass in charge at the time.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1526
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 8:22:08 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

It’s depressing to go back and read the first few pages of this thread..

It Explains to me, why we have over half a million dead, and yet some still want more..

Open up!!

Invite death into your house and schools, churches and everywhere else..

Don’t tread on me..

It’s not going away.. so embrace it.. gamble your life and the lives of people who you will never see again, just to get that steaks down lobster dinner on you anniversary..

Still.. we have this debate..

Still we have the “it’s nothing” crowd.
The “ get over it...”

I get it..

Kids are suffering in so many ways, businesses are suffering, some people haven’t worked in months, others have been worked to suicide and exhaustion..

Welcome to life in a third world health care system, presided over by “ for profit”..

how are those medical industry stocks and profits doing?

Anyone’s 401k dying over there?

The 1 yr rate of return on my 401K is up 22%. Astonishing. I suppose people who are still making money aren't spending it, so they're investing it, and corporations are doing well compared to the little guy. Would not have thought the market would do this well though.

My wife and I have been very fortunate to maintain our incomes throughout.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1527
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 8:23:09 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

If everyone had stayed home for three weeks and never left the house, the virus would have been gone in April. Impossible, I understand, but close to factual. How many would have starved to death over three weeks versus 11 months of misery and 500k dead? We don't live in a vacuum and the entire world would have to agree to participate, but it is what it is.

At the beginning the doctors said between 100,000-240,000 would die. I'd say we've radically underperformed as a nation. I never saw a half mil dying from this thing. It was the perfect storm of a dangerous virus mixed with an incredibly spoiled and entitled nation.

Don't forget to put some blame on the jackass in charge at the time.

No doubt, but people should be able to think for themselves. Unfortunately, many of them fell under the spell of one of the great snake oil salesmen of our time. If and when it happens again, maybe we will be a little better prepared an still remember the heartache of this event.

At this point, most should know someone that has had or died from the virus. I know 10-or-12 that have had it, maybe more. I know four people that have died. Most of my friends know someone that has died.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/22/2021 8:26:36 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1528
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 9:44:49 AM   
Mark Anderson

Bison Football game yesterday.

9500 max allowed attendance 50%

Actual attendance 6500

Why?

1) No Trey Lance

2) Crappy opponent

3) No tailgating

4) Game on TV, Sports Bars can have 75% capacity(with masks)
Post #: 1529
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 10:05:25 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Oh please. Based on the experts, Walz's criteria for shutting down the Minnesota economy was "best case, with optimal social distancing, face masking, and shutdown, 50,000 Minnesotans will die".
Post #: 1530
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 10:13:54 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

It’s depressing to go back and read the first few pages of this thread..

It Explains to me, why we have over half a million dead, and yet some still want more..

Open up!!

Invite death into your house and schools, churches and everywhere else..

Don’t tread on me..

It’s not going away.. so embrace it.. gamble your life and the lives of people who you will never see again, just to get that steaks down lobster dinner on you anniversary..

Still.. we have this debate..

Still we have the “it’s nothing” crowd.
The “ get over it...”

I get it..

Kids are suffering in so many ways, businesses are suffering, some people haven’t worked in months, others have been worked to suicide and exhaustion..

Welcome to life in a third world health care system, presided over by “ for profit”..

how are those medical industry stocks and profits doing?

Anyone’s 401k dying over there?

I went back and reread the entire thread. Spoiler alert: There's a certain long-winded poster that looks a little foolish with his predictions and analysis of covid trends particularly in regards to the events that played out in South Dakota. I will admit I did enjoy the reread. Probably not the best use of my time but you know me...

That was were I stopped...

Tbh..

Certain long winded poster...

FFS..

Smh...

And I’m a bad parent..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1531
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/22/2021 10:18:11 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Oh please. Based on the experts, Walz's criteria for shutting down the Minnesota economy was "best case, with optimal social distancing, face masking, and shutdown, 50,000 Minnesotans will die".

That's just how I remember it. Trump took the stage and said they are saying we will have between 100,000 and 240,000 die. He then said if we keep it under 100,000 we will have done a very good job. A month later he said if we keep it under 60,000 we will have done a very good job.

Anybody else remember it that way, or am I just getting old?

Post #: 1532
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 1:30:18 AM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

We don't have objective journalism anymore. I don't know if we ever had honest debate in America. A long time ago, perhaps. Perhaps not.

Well said. A simple truth, simply put.

"Truth"? There is definitely objective journalism, and there is journalism with a slant, and there is sheer propaganda. This is like "both sides," "throw them all out," "the truth is in between," etc. Feels good to say, some merit to it, but mostly pablum.

You have any names you are willing to assign as objective journalists?

I ask because I think it's telling that I have to.

"Journalism" today operates the same way most corporations do....profits first. Click bait, sensationalism, fear, conspiracy, death counts, villains and false heroes.

Ethical journalism should not be a thing, like round circles. All journalism should be ethical. Who is doing that?

< Message edited by JT2 -- 2/27/2021 1:34:10 AM >
Post #: 1533
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 8:40:26 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

We don't have objective journalism anymore. I don't know if we ever had honest debate in America. A long time ago, perhaps. Perhaps not.

"Truth"? There is definitely objective journalism, and there is journalism with a slant, and there is sheer propaganda. This is like "both sides," "throw them all out," "the truth is in between," etc. Feels good to say, some merit to it, but mostly pablum.

"Journalism" today operates the same way most corporations do....profits first. Click bait, sensationalism, fear, conspiracy, death counts, villains and false heroes.

Ethical journalism should not be a thing, like round circles. All journalism should be ethical. Who is doing that?

Maybe some writer for the Greenland Gazette. Antarctica Daily. Or some journalist from some obscure African village.

Everybody is compromised these days. They will find themselves out of work if they don't tow company line.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/27/2021 8:44:08 AM >
Post #: 1534
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 4:57:56 PM   
unome

Wow, people still bitter about the Sturgis conversation. Way to hold a grudge!

My opinion has not changed, but I think the level of moderation is missed among people that have no moderation themselves.

My thoughts on the Rally and the issue:

1) seemed like a really bad decision to attend. No way I would have done it.
2) masks are a good decision, especially in close quarters with many other people. Masks are not some evil inflicted on us by tyrants. They are a smart decision and help protect other people.
3) there certainly was some virus spread at the Rally, although you could take any random group of 380,000 people in a 10 day period and find virus spread among that population as well. I have still not seen any data that shows that there was more virus spread among the Sturgis attendees population as opposed to a randomly selected population. The first number is as hard to get as the second is easy, so I am not saying there was not more spread at the Rally than would have happened in a random population. I am positive that there are not any numbers that show this and the anecdotal evidence was really weak. The media was so ready to report every single COVID death that happened from attendees of the Rally and I have still only read about the one death from a person that attended.
4) there was also no deaths in Meade County in all of August and the first two weeks of September. Are we really supposed to believe that there was a massive superspreader event and the people at ground zero had no deaths as a result?
5) the data shows there was a substantial, but very temporary blip in Meade County after the Rally, but after you read the scientific paper, you realize this is because there was widespread testing after the Rally in the area. This blip went down for a short while until the wave that started after colleges opened hit the whole area. https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/state/south-dakota/county/meade-county
6) all the attempts to spin into the beginning of a disaster proved false. Although like any lie that gets repeated, it is believe by all that think it should be true.
7) the study that I argued against was widely refuted by anyone that bothered to apply scientific inquiry to it. Scientific papers are supposed to be able to be criticized. Science is not an answer, science is a process. And part of that process is having the work open for question. https://slate.com/technology/2020/09/sturgis-rally-covid19-explosion-paper.html
8) just because one scientific paper was trash does not mean that the general idea behind it is even incorrect. The paper and the numbers it implied were inaccurate in the context that was presented. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reality is we pretty much what the superspreader has really been and that is college age kids and 20 somethings. They have an active social life and they see that they are generally at a very low risk of a bad result so they take limited precautions.

I have close family members in that age group and one tested positive for COVID and one had to quarantine because she had spent time with a person that tested positive 2 days later. They are both fine, although one did lose her sense of taste for 2 weeks so that was her one lingering issue. She is fine now. Her two roommates got it as well. They are also fine.

Now, anyone can respond to this post if you like, but this will be my final word on the matter.

< Message edited by unome -- 2/27/2021 6:24:47 PM >
Post #: 1535
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 5:02:51 PM   
unome

Cliff Notes version for those that think I used too many words:

1) Attending Rally bad idea.
2) Masks are good.
3) Any numbers directly tied to the Rally just did not show the massive problem that was expected.
4) Outbreaks that started in college towns in the same geological area cannot be used for causation. The college kids were not at the Rally.

There, the condensed version.
Post #: 1536
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 5:17:22 PM   
unome

I actually came here to say that while the last week's numbers seem disappointing that we will see great things really soon in COVID deaths.

The 7 day average of daily deaths from COVID is above 2,000 and has been above this point since the beginning of December.

The number of deaths, much more than the case number, is the area for biggest concern, although the numbers are, of course, related.

The numbers of deaths nationwide should start dropping like a stone really soon.

The states are sometimes slow on reporting so it is hard to know when to expect the drop, but March should see a very significant decline in deaths.

The daily death numbers should drop in half fairly soon. Hopefully, this will happen in March, but certainly by April. My hope is that the number can get down to 500 a day by May. This would be a fourth of where it is now, but it should happen once all the cases from the December and January mega outbreaks get resolved. Hopefully, with a positive resolution.

I know I got slammed the last time I came on here and talked about good news, but too bad. More good news is on it's way. Suck on that, haters!

So fire away. Although, I will not respond on this thread anytime soon because I am very busy.

Stay well.
Post #: 1537
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 7:14:32 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

Wow, people still bitter about the Sturgis conversation. Way to hold a grudge!

My opinion has not changed, but I think the level of moderation is missed among people that have no moderation themselves.

My thoughts on the Rally and the issue:

1) seemed like a really bad decision to attend. No way I would have done it.
2) masks are a good decision, especially in close quarters with many other people. Masks are not some evil inflicted on us by tyrants. They are a smart decision and help protect other people.
3) there certainly was some virus spread at the Rally, although you could take any random group of 380,000 people in a 10 day period and find virus spread among that population as well. I have still not seen any data that shows that there was more virus spread among the Sturgis attendees population as opposed to a randomly selected population. The first number is as hard to get as the second is easy, so I am not saying there was not more spread at the Rally than would have happened in a random population. I am positive that there are not any numbers that show this and the anecdotal evidence was really weak. The media was so ready to report every single COVID death that happened from attendees of the Rally and I have still only read about the one death from a person that attended.
4) there was also no deaths in Meade County in all of August and the first two weeks of September. Are we really supposed to believe that there was a massive superspreader event and the people at ground zero had no deaths as a result?
5) the data shows there was a substantial, but very temporary blip in Meade County after the Rally, but after you read the scientific paper, you realize this is because there was widespread testing after the Rally in the area. This blip went down for a short while until the wave that started after colleges opened hit the whole area. https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/state/south-dakota/county/meade-county
6) all the attempts to spin into the beginning of a disaster proved false. Although like any lie that gets repeated, it is believe by all that think it should be true.
7) the study that I argued against was widely refuted by anyone that bothered to apply scientific inquiry to it. Scientific papers are supposed to be able to be criticized. Science is not an answer, science is a process. And part of that process is having the work open for question. https://slate.com/technology/2020/09/sturgis-rally-covid19-explosion-paper.html
8) just because one scientific paper was trash does not mean that the general idea behind it is even incorrect. The paper and the numbers it implied were inaccurate in the context that was presented. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reality is we pretty much what the superspreader has really been and that is college age kids and 20 somethings. They have an active social life and they see that they are generally at a very low risk of a bad result so they take limited precautions.

I have close family members in that age group and one tested positive for COVID and one had to quarantine because she had spent time with a person that tested positive 2 days later. They are both fine, although one did lose her sense of taste for 2 weeks so that was her one lingering issue. She is fine now. Her two roommates got it as well. They are also fine.

Now, anyone can respond to this post if you like, but this will be my final word on the matter.

One in every 7.875 people in South Dakota have had COVID. That's all the proof I need that Sturgis was a bad idea.

Post #: 1538
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/27/2021 7:26:03 PM  1 votes
David F.

The comedy is not lost on me and I appreciate it. ‘This will be my final word’ - makes two more consecutive posts. ‘I’m too busy to respond’ - says the guy with most lengthy posts in the thread, often quoting his own posts and responding to his own posts. Love it. Shine on you crazy diamond.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1539
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/1/2021 5:00:03 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice to see you, friend. Click bait, sensationalism, fear, conspiracy, death counts, villains and false heroes are definitely part of the landscape, but that's not all there is.

I would say that it's not the journalists who are objective, it's the journalism (for the most part). The method fosters objectivity specifically because all individuals lack it. Of course there are slanted rags of various types in various formats to various degrees, but there are a lot of outlets, dailies especially, that are structured to deliver objective reporting (separate from editorials, of course). Even these might have a slight slant, mostly slightly to the left, both as a byproduct of our corporatist culture/society and as a reaction to it, but you can factor that in as you consume the news and still gain a better understanding of issues and events. The more slanted and the propagandists are where the trouble lies, particularly due to confirmation bias and the naïve, who are legion in 2021 in America.

I consume the NYT, Washington Post, L.A. Times, CNN, MSNBC, Al Jazeera, Pro Publica (which is great), NPR, the New Yorker, the Atlantic Monthly, and stuff that links off of Twitter. I know that much of what I consume has a slight to very leftward slant, and I try to factor that in. MSNBC has a clear left POV. There is a slate of analogs to what I consume on the right. But reporters from most channels (with gross exceptions) are applying an objective method reinforced by an editorial structure that supports it.

It isn't perfect, but it's not all the wild, wild west, either.
Post #: 1540
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/1/2021 6:26:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I actually came here to say that while the last week's numbers seem disappointing that we will see great things really soon in COVID deaths.

The 7 day average of daily deaths from COVID is above 2,000 and has been above this point since the beginning of December.

The number of deaths, much more than the case number, is the area for biggest concern, although the numbers are, of course, related.

The numbers of deaths nationwide should start dropping like a stone really soon.

The states are sometimes slow on reporting so it is hard to know when to expect the drop, but March should see a very significant decline in deaths.

The daily death numbers should drop in half fairly soon. Hopefully, this will happen in March, but certainly by April. My hope is that the number can get down to 500 a day by May. This would be a fourth of where it is now, but it should happen once all the cases from the December and January mega outbreaks get resolved. Hopefully, with a positive resolution.

I know I got slammed the last time I came on here and talked about good news, but too bad. More good news is on it's way. Suck on that, haters!

So fire away. Although, I will not respond on this thread anytime soon because I am very busy.

Stay well.

So you came in to say your original projection was wrong, couldn't bear to write it so you danced around it, then added "Suck on that, haters!"

Oh, and after writing another novel (verbose anyone?), concluded by signing off with the lame I am busy excuse.

Face it, you do have issues. You should go hang with CPAMAN. Compare your reasons for emotional trauma, the need to be needy, and how you've failed to always fulfill that desire to be right.
Post #: 1541
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/1/2021 8:20:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I got the vaccine on Saturday. I'm still sick with a fever. My body is fighting. It feels just like when I got Covid last May.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1542
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/1/2021 8:53:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I got the vaccine on Saturday. I'm still sick with a fever. My body is fighting. It feels just like when I got Covid last May.

Which one did you get? And that sucks that you're getting these side effects.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 3/1/2021 8:54:30 PM >
Post #: 1543
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/1/2021 10:36:38 PM   
bohumm

I got the Moderna. The morning after my second dose, which I got mid-afternoon, I woke up feeling very achy with joint pain and fever with chills. I lectured for a couple of hours before I had to stop, and I was KFO the rest of the day. The next couple of days I felt pretty fatigued, and then I was back to normal.

Bruce, I though of you and those who suffered so much. I got a brief taste of mild illness, and it was a freight train.
Post #: 1544
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 1:31:32 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

Stay well.

Blah Blah Blah
No more posts

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1545
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 3:25:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

And just like that my temp dropped. Going back to work. Only missed one day.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1546
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 8:21:52 AM   
Brad H

quote:

And just like that my temp dropped. Going back to work. Only missed one day.

Awesome. Wife gets her first shot tomorrow.

Post #: 1547
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 8:30:05 AM   
Lynn G.

Everyone I've heard of who has some kind of reaction to the shot has reported that it only lasted one day. So I guess it's not a bad idea to plan to take the day off after you get your vaccination, and, if you don't have any reaction - you still have a day off!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1548
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 9:12:30 AM   
David F.

I’m thrilled to get my second dose today. That makes three out of the four in our house. Day job knows I might not be in tomorrow. Night job was already a scheduled day off.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1549
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 3/2/2021 9:28:57 AM   
Lynn G.

Good for you David. As a front-line worker you deserve to be vaccinated early. I hope today's dose is clear of side effects.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1550
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode