Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 8:05:37 PM   
jbusse

Anecdotal info from Sweden arguing against lock down:

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/08/04/how-bad-is-covid-really-a-swedish-doctors-perspective/
Post #: 176
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 8:20:13 PM   
unome

Thanks fellow Vikings fans for the kind words. Glad to know some people did not think everything I said was "false" or partisan. I just want America to continue to be the greatest country in the world.

But I did think for a second there that I had wandered into a Bernie Sanders rally!

It does worry me that the Democrats keep going farther to the left and the Republicans to the right, but if the Vikings can just win a Super Bowl, all the ugliness of 2020 will melt away. Ok, I would settle for a Twins World Series win, but I really want that first Vikings SB win.

Wear a mask people, we need to slow the pandemic and keep all the things that keep us *somewhat* sane going.
Post #: 177
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 8:39:03 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

We had some of the greatest economies in the history of the US with the 1% paying 90% on their top tier of income. What Reagan set up did not work. It stagnated middle income and started the process of eroding the middle class and accelerated the flow of money up hill. The country got set on the path of deficit spending and massive debt. Don't try to tell me it works.

The top 1% never paid 90% of their income. They are not stupid, they just put it into tax shelters, municipal funds and the like. What you had back them was stratified wealth. It was hard to get rich, and if you were rich, you just managed your principal and tried to reduce the amount of money that would be taxed.

The top marginal income tax rate was 91% until 1964 when it was dropped to 77%. It stayed at 70% or 77% until the Reagan revolution dropped it to 50% and continued to drop to 28% under HW Bush, before Clinton restored it to 39.6%.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/historical-highest-marginal-income-tax-rates

Manufacturing jobs started leaving in the 1970's, but what accelerated the decline of the middle class was Reaganomics. The proven failed experiment whereby you further power the wealthy with massive tax cuts, deregulation and corporate welfare. Out of the goodness of their hearts the people at the top of the heap were supposed to created good paying jobs and sustained strong economy. The net result was that senior executives went from making 50 times the median salary of there employees to making 300 times that median salary. The rules were also changed to allow top executives to be paid the bulk of their lucrative compensation in the form of stock options, which could then be cashed in at a 13% capital gains tax instead of paying income tax. In the mean time the ironically named "right to work laws" were enacted to restrict the ability to collectively bargain, which took away leverage and flattened middle class income to where the lower end of the middle class went below the poverty line.

Call talking about the 1% political all you want. Trying to omit them as a factor is just flat out denial.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 178
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 8:46:02 PM   
David F.

I guess all I had to do was say ‘mega wealthy’ instead of top 1% and the entire argument could have shifted. Sarcasm. Eye roll.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 179
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 10:46:54 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I guess all I had to do was say ‘mega wealthy’ instead of top 1% and the entire argument could have shifted. Sarcasm. Eye roll.

I have no problem with some people being mega wealthy and I don't think we should be imposing ridiculously high taxes on them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 180
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 10:48:51 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I have no problem with some people being mega wealthy and I don't think we should be imposing ridiculously high taxes on them.

They control over 75% of the wealth and bear less than half the tax burden. I think they're okay, but I'm sure they appreciate people who are worried about the plight of the wealthy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 181
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/7/2020 10:52:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

They control over 75% of the wealth and bear less than half the tax burden. I think they're okay, but I'm sure they appreciate people who are worried about the plight of the wealthy.

Wealth is a bogus stat in relation to income taxes. They don't have 75% or even 50% of the income. We have an income based tax so if they are under 50% of the income they should be bearing less than half of the tax burden.
I'm not worried about the plight of the wealthy I just think fair is fair. I'm not political, but when Obama was running for president all I ever heard was let's take the money away from the wealthy and give it to other people. That sounds like theft to me. He didn't encourage people to earn money. He was all about hand outs. To me this makes people reliant on the government. Now in this pandemic/crisis we are just printing money with nothing behind it and handing it out. I get that people need help, but there has to be consequences to this. Unlike Unome and David F I'm not a financial whiz, but I'm guessing the results of this could be catastrophic.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/7/2020 11:26:54 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 182
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:01:23 AM  2 votes
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wealth is a bogus stat in relation to income taxes. They don't have 75% or even 50% of the income. We have an income based tax so if they are under 50% of the income they should be bearing less than half of the tax burden.
I'm not worried about the plight of the wealthy I just think fair is fair. I'm not political, but when Obama was running for president all I ever heard was let's take the money away from the wealthy and give it to other people. That sounds like theft to me. He didn't encourage people to earn money. He was all about hand outs. To me this makes people reliant on the government. Now in this pandemic/crisis we are just printing money with nothing behind it and handing it out. I get that people need help, but there has to be consequences to this. Unlike Unome and David F I'm not a financial whiz, but I'm guessing the results of this could be catastrophic.

In 2016 the top 20% in the USA had over 80% of the wealth and over 60% of the income. This gap has been and continues to trend larger and larger. It's dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 183
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:38:27 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In 2016 the top 20% in the USA had over 80% of the wealth and over 60% of the income. This gap has been and continues to trend larger and larger. It's dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical.

What's unethical about some people earning more than other people? We're getting off track on the COVID talk, but I don't get this.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/8/2020 12:40:48 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 184
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:43:32 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

I don’t care if people are personally mega wealthy either, but for these bitches to get tax breaks on money they can not possibly spend, at the expense of the working stiff, who, all up and down the pay scale, in some form or another, have to worry and carefully plan for all possible contingency of financial misfortune,

then yea, I have a problem with the bezos and corporations ad nausea, that even though they pay some taxes.. are weaseling out through rich boy network, politically provided loopholes unavailable to joe average.

I have paid an average of 28% of my lifetime income in taxes.. just because some rich bitch can buy and sell my life’s work value out of the interest on his 35th shell business tax shelter, which loses money to provide a net loss on the fn tax code does not make that right.

If you were to slap a 28% tax on all income over $999,999 and get rid of the shell games and loopholes in our taxable GDP...

Problem solved.
Oh and cut the fucqing pork and redundancy ot of the fn MILCO.

Fn thieves...

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 8/8/2020 12:45:33 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 185
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:47:01 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

I don’t care if people are personally mega wealthy either, but for thes bitches to get tax breaks on money the can not possibly spend, at the expense of the working stiff who, all up and down the pay scale, in some form or another have to worry sand carefully plan for all possible contingency of financial misfortune,

then yea, I have a problem with the bezos and corporations ad nausea, that even though they pay some taxes.. are weaseling out through rich boy network, politically provided loopholes unavailable to joe average.

I have paid an average of 28% of my lifetime income in taxes.. just because some rich bitch can buy and sell my life’s work value out of the interest on his 35th shell business tax shelter, which loses money to provide a net loss on the fn tax code does not make that right.

If you were to slap a 28% tax on all income over $999,999 and get rid of the shell games and loopholes in our taxable GDP...

Problem solved.
Oh and cut the fucqing pork and redundancy ot of the fn MILCO.

Fn thieves...

Dan I am mostly with you. Get rid of all the loopholes. However, I'm not a financial Whiz and I understand that certain loopholes encourage economic growth. It's all way above me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 186
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 2:20:27 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's unethical about some people earning more than other people? We're getting off track on the COVID talk, but I don't get this.

Ever heard of that guy named Jesus?

Post #: 187
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 3:38:22 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I apologize for hijacking this thread..

Omaha school boRd went 100% online learning and cancelled all Extracurricular Sports until the situation is under control vis a vis the virus

Also the city council has the votes to mandate public health making masks mandatory in all public places including stores, bars, restaurants .. etc.

The mayor wii sign it when approved.

About fn time.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 8/8/2020 3:41:39 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 188
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:01:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I have. I happen to know him. Did he say it's unethical for one person to make more than another person. I'd like to know the context. The Bible says if a man won't work neither should he eat. Now don't take that as the Bible just saying let people starve. The Bible highly endorses giving to the poor, but that is by choice not having the Government coming to rob people.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/8/2020 8:05:36 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 189
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:02:51 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I apologize for hijacking this thread..

Omaha school boRd went 100% online learning and cancelled all Extracurricular Sports until the situation is under control vis a vis the virus

Also the city council has the votes to mandate public health making masks mandatory in all public places including stores, bars, restaurants .. etc.

The mayor wii sign it when approved.

About fn time.

Dan, that's not a hijacking at all. This Thread is about COVID and a city choosing to shut down in person learning right or wrong is very relevant to the thread. It seems you agree with Omaha's choice.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 190
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 9:17:54 AM  2 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

The argument that we shut down and we can't afford to do it again is false. We didn't shut down while fully complying with universal infection control practices at the public health level; we've been uneven, sporadic, and incomplete from Day 1, and as long as we continue that path, our economy will continue to die the death of a thousand cuts. "I couldn't afford to make that necessary repair" turns into an exponentially more expensive necessary repair down the road that leads to other expensive repairs, compounding the problem.

We don't necessarily have to go all McMurphy at this point, but we need to go more there than where we are right now, or we will eventually have to go all McMurphy and maybe beyond eventually. Epidemiology is a complex discipline but getting it wrong leads to a simple outcome: the problem in its current form never goes away.

It is not false and you have not certainly not presented any evidence to this effect whatsoever.

Not that any of this even matters, because what you or McMurfy want won't happen.

The reality is that you are extremists in the same way some of the idiot Trumpers are extremists. You want all or nothing. Whether it is not wearing masks as a sort of constitutional right or shutting everything down as a panacea, these are both wrong headed and both will cost us so much in unneeded loss of life or economic resources.

Should Trump have done a better job in March and April? Sure, but he failed, and will likely be voted out of office because of it.

But, we do not need to be extreme. We can take smart moderate action. Any Governor in a state with a big COVID HAS TO take action on stuff like masks and shutting down obvious infectious activities. If he or she does not, the President should step in. He won't, but he should.

We can get this problem manageable, but we do not need a death from a thousand cuts or one big death blow; we need smart, prolonged, moderate action and we will have cases drop and we will not get the eventual backlash of loss of freedom you see from heavy handed government action.

Evidence: Current case levels.
Evidence: Worsening economic crisis.
Current economic czar: the virus.
Choices: take measures sufficient to tamp down transmission, test thoroughly and quickly, and contact trace, or, at best, continue on our current path with "smart, moderate action."
Current path: Out of control health crisis, deepening economic crisis.

How come Italy and Spain are on a completely different path than us right now?
Post #: 191
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 9:21:57 AM   
bohumm

quote:

Thanks fellow Vikings fans for the kind words. Glad to know some people did not think everything I said was "false" or partisan. I just want America to continue to be the greatest country in the world.

But I did think for a second there that I had wandered into a Bernie Sanders rally!

It does worry me that the Democrats keep going farther to the left and the Republicans to the right, but if the Vikings can just win a Super Bowl, all the ugliness of 2020 will melt away. Ok, I would settle for a Twins World Series win, but I really want that first Vikings SB win.

Wear a mask people, we need to slow the pandemic and keep all the things that keep us *somewhat* sane going.

1) The Bernie Sanders supporters who want to blast my way of thinking would be surprised that I'm lumped in with them.

2) Adequate public health measures are not political.

3) Wearing a mask is great, but not enough. People together in close quarters is an even bigger problem. If we do nothing about that, we stay on our current path.
Post #: 192
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 11:55:44 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/08/04/how-bad-is-covid-really-a-swedish-doctors-perspective/

Who's word are you going to take, this guy, or our own Governor Walz, who's basis for our previous shutdown was "Best case 50,000 Minnesota deaths", assuming optimal social distancing and other preventative practices?
Post #: 193
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:41:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

1) The Bernie Sanders supporters who want to blast my way of thinking would be surprised that I'm lumped in with them.

2) Adequate public health measures are not political.

3) Wearing a mask is great, but not enough. People together in close quarters is an even bigger problem. If we do nothing about that, we stay on our current path.

I don't know much about Bernie Sanders politics. I've heard he's a socialist. I fully agree with your points 2-3.
It's too bad that people want to make your point 2 political.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/8/2020 12:43:03 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 194
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 12:45:06 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Who's word are you going to take, this guy, or our own Governor Walz, who's basis for our previous shutdown was "Best case 50,000 Minnesota deaths", assuming optimal social distancing and other preventative practices?

I've only heard about Walz from you guys, but based on what I've heard I would lean towards taking the word of a random Swedish guy over his.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 195
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 1:17:38 PM  3 votes
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I have. I happen to know him. Did he say it's unethical for one person to make more than another person. I'd like to know the context. The Bible says if a man won't work neither should he eat. Now don't take that as the Bible just saying let people starve. The Bible highly endorses giving to the poor, but that is by choice not having the Government coming to rob people.

This isn’t about ‘one person to make more than another person’. That’s just you trying to minimize the greed of the mega wealthy and avoid the point of the incredible gap in wealth and income distribution in USA. This isn’t about a doctor making more than a mailman.

You know what though I think I’m just going to leave this be. History tells me this will just go back and forth and nothing will come of it. I’ll move forward with my life believing it to be immoral to buy a fifth house and a third Bentley in the same month of laying off1000 workers and you can keep going thinking that’s just fine and dandy.

Good day sir.

< Message edited by David F. -- 8/8/2020 1:18:46 PM >

Post #: 196
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 1:21:52 PM   
Ricky J

Like Kenny Rodgers would say, "You've got to know when to fold 'em ...."
Post #: 197
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 2:32:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Then you got those that fold 'em, but still act like they won the hand...
Post #: 198
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 2:39:57 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Then you got those that fold 'em, but still act like they won the hand...

And then there’s the onlookers making comments from the rail. Winky face

Post #: 199
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 2:47:23 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This isn’t about ‘one person to make more than another person’. That’s just you trying to minimize the greed of the mega wealthy and avoid the point of the incredible gap in wealth and income distribution in USA. This isn’t about a doctor making more than a mailman.

You know what though I think I’m just going to leave this be. History tells me this will just go back and forth and nothing will come of it. I’ll move forward with my life believing it to be immoral to buy a fifth house and a third Bentley in the same month of laying off 1000 workers and you can keep going thinking that’s just fine and dandy.

Good day sir.

That is the question I asked. Would it be better if everybody had enough and nobody went hungry and everybody had a decent place to live and a car that worked. Yes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode