Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 3:52:09 PM   
Lynn G.

Nobody misses that this all started right after Reaganomics changed our tax structure. Can you see which people's wealth has shot up like a rocket (with a minimal setback halfway up) and whose wealth has flatlined (and definitely not due to lessened productivity)?

How does anyone even begin to argue that this is a good thing for the people of the United States of America?

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 201
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 3:59:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Seems like the conversation has gone in another direction.

I will just share that I attempted to donate my plasma since I'm sure that I have the life saving antibodies, but I was rejected. One of my prescriptions is unacceptable apparently. It's a blood pressure medication.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 202
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 5:44:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Nobody misses that this all started right after Reaganomics changed our tax structure. Can you see which people's wealth has shot up like a rocket (with a minimal setback halfway up) and whose wealth has flatlined (and definitely not due to lessened productivity)?

How does anyone even begin to argue that this is a good thing for the people of the United States of America?

Thumbnail Image

When it has to do with the current economy related to the COVID-19 Pandemic/Crisis it fits the subject. Reagan has nothing to do with it IMO.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 203
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 6:22:38 PM   
unome

quote:

Thumbnail Image

So the overall wages went up even though America lost much of its high paying manufacturing jobs? But since a bunch of tech people made a lot of money raising productivity, we should blame Reagan? Was anyone else President since then?

I mean Clinton reducing the capital gains tax helped the wealthy build wealth as much as anything, do you blame Bill Clinton as well?

This whole thing started with David not understanding that economics is not a zero sum game. Amazon becoming a trillion dollar company and Bezos becoming the richest man in the world did not hurt the average American worker. In fact, it helped that worker buy what he or she wanted cheaper and easier. Income is not as important as buying power.

But, I know I will never convince people where resentment of others is their core economic belief. Had all those lines in your graph been the same and the top 1% had fallen, somehow that would make you feel better. What does that say?

The fact that Reagan and Clinton helped set up an economy that helped foster in the huge tech successes that made all of our lives better and made some people fabulously rich is a bad thing? Kind of a strange argument as we talk on a medium using a bunch of tools that were made possible by the same people whose wealth grew so greatly.
Post #: 204
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 6:36:53 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

We had some of the greatest economies in the history of the US with the 1% paying 90% on their top tier of income. What Reagan set up did not work. It stagnated middle income and started the process of eroding the middle class and accelerated the flow of money up hill. The country got set on the path of deficit spending and massive debt. Don't try to tell me it works.

The top 1% never paid 90% of their income. They are not stupid, they just put it into tax shelters, municipal funds and the like. What you had back them was stratified wealth. It was hard to get rich, and if you were rich, you just managed your principal and tried to reduce the amount of money that would be taxed.

The top marginal income tax rate was 91% until 1964 when it was dropped to 77%. It stayed at 70% or 77% until the Reagan revolution dropped it to 50% and continued to drop to 28% under HW Bush, before Clinton restored it to 39.6%.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/historical-highest-marginal-income-tax-rates

Manufacturing jobs started leaving in the 1970's, but what accelerated the decline of the middle class was Reaganomics. The proven failed experiment whereby you further power the wealthy with massive tax cuts, deregulation and corporate welfare. Out of the goodness of their hearts the people at the top of the heap were supposed to created good paying jobs and sustained strong economy. The net result was that senior executives went from making 50 times the median salary of there employees to making 300 times that median salary. The rules were also changed to allow top executives to be paid the bulk of their lucrative compensation in the form of stock options, which could then be cashed in at a 13% capital gains tax instead of paying income tax. In the mean time the ironically named "right to work laws" were enacted to restrict the ability to collectively bargain, which took away leverage and flattened middle class income to where the lower end of the middle class went below the poverty line.

Call talking about the 1% political all you want. Trying to omit them as a factor is just flat out denial.

Yes, JFK dropped the idiotic 91% rate to a still bad 77%. The Tax Change in 1986 was passed under Reagan and not Bush. Clinton raised it back to 39.6%, but also reduced the capital gains tax rate that you then complain about, but that was a good move.

Executive salaries being tied to the growth of their companies' stock growth is exactly what you should want as a stockholder.

High-paying manufacturing jobs did not leave because of right-to-work states, they left because of foreign competition and automation. If anything, lower labor expenses in some right to work states may have saved some American jobs that would have otherwise gone foreign.

I refuse to feel bad that the tech people that have helped restore America to prominence, make our lives better and more productive, and make work and school during the pandemic possible, becoming very wealthy. This wealth was NOT somehow swiped away from the American worker in some zero sum game that the people on the economic left seem to believe. The tech people greatly increased the pie and took a nice big chunk of this larger pie, but we all benefit from the bigger pie they created.
Post #: 205
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 6:42:50 PM   
jbusse

quote:

Thumbnail Image

I can't quite make out the x axis on the plot, but if your plot ends before mid-2008, the red line essentially represents stock market gains captured by the top 1%, with the large drop representing the bursting of the dot com bubble. If you have an issue with increases in stock market wealth (the top 1% hold far more financial assets than most), then your issue lies more with the policies of the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank than with anything related to tax rates.

Since the financial crisis of 2008-2009, the Fed has purchased trillions of dollars worth of financial assets, bailing out Wall Street and others who took on excessive risk. Those Fed purchases have pushed the stock market to the nose-bleed levels that we see today, to the great benefit of the top 1%.
Post #: 206
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 6:53:28 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

The argument that we shut down and we can't afford to do it again is false. We didn't shut down while fully complying with universal infection control practices at the public health level; we've been uneven, sporadic, and incomplete from Day 1, and as long as we continue that path, our economy will continue to die the death of a thousand cuts. "I couldn't afford to make that necessary repair" turns into an exponentially more expensive necessary repair down the road that leads to other expensive repairs, compounding the problem.

We don't necessarily have to go all McMurphy at this point, but we need to go more there than where we are right now, or we will eventually have to go all McMurphy and maybe beyond eventually. Epidemiology is a complex discipline but getting it wrong leads to a simple outcome: the problem in its current form never goes away.

It is not false and you have not certainly not presented any evidence to this effect whatsoever.

Not that any of this even matters, because what you or McMurfy want won't happen.

The reality is that you are extremists in the same way some of the idiot Trumpers are extremists. You want all or nothing. Whether it is not wearing masks as a sort of constitutional right or shutting everything down as a panacea, these are both wrong headed and both will cost us so much in unneeded loss of life or economic resources.

Should Trump have done a better job in March and April? Sure, but he failed, and will likely be voted out of office because of it.

But, we do not need to be extreme. We can take smart moderate action. Any Governor in a state with a big COVID HAS TO take action on stuff like masks and shutting down obvious infectious activities. If he or she does not, the President should step in. He won't, but he should.

We can get this problem manageable, but we do not need a death from a thousand cuts or one big death blow; we need smart, prolonged, moderate action and we will have cases drop and we will not get the eventual backlash of loss of freedom you see from heavy handed government action.

Evidence: Current case levels.
Evidence: Worsening economic crisis.
Current economic czar: the virus.
Choices: take measures sufficient to tamp down transmission, test thoroughly and quickly, and contact trace, or, at best, continue on our current path with "smart, moderate action."
Current path: Out of control health crisis, deepening economic crisis.

How come Italy and Spain are on a completely different path than us right now?

Evidence: Current case levels have dropped by 15,000 a day from two weeks ago.

Evidence: U.S. economy added 1.8 million jobs in July as it worked to recover from the coronavirus pandemic
The jobless rate fell to 10.2 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/07/july-2020-jobs-report/

Current path: Nothing at all like what you wrote.

The current path is only a problem if we do not do smart things like wear masks and keep some obvious activities closed or severely limited. We still have Governors like Kemp that are arguing that required mask-wearing is a civil liberty violation.

Italy and Spain?

Italy's economy are crushed:

https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2020/july/covid-19-devastating-impact-on-italy-economy/#b8e0c36f-082b-4f40-a4f1-aa76c9c9701c

Spain re-opened more because their economy was in such bad shape and their COVID numbers have really jumped.
Post #: 207
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 6:59:52 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Thumbnail Image

I can't quite make out the x axis on the plot, but if your plot ends before mid-2008, the red line essentially represents stock market gains captured by the top 1%, with the large drop representing the bursting of the dot com bubble. If you have an issue with increases in stock market wealth (the top 1% hold far more financial assets than most), then your issue lies more with the policies of the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank than with anything related to tax rates.

Since the financial crisis of 2008-2009, the Fed has purchased trillions of dollars worth of financial assets, bailing out Wall Street and others who took on excessive risk. Those Fed purchases have pushed the stock market to the nose-bleed levels that we see today, to the great benefit of the top 1%.

Well, and she avoids the uncomfortable explanation of how 8 years of Obama did nothing to change the wage numbers and those hated top 1% still did well. Darn them.

The reality is that Clinton and Obama are smart men and while they have to talk some class warfare to get the Sweens, David F's and Lynn's of the world on their side; they do not really believe attacking the rich is any sort of economic solution. Plus, many of the new tech billionaires are huge Democratic donors. Heck, Al Gore is now worth 330 million dollars.
Post #: 208
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:05:36 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess all I had to do was say ‘mega wealthy’ instead of top 1% and the entire argument could have shifted. Sarcasm. Eye roll.

I have no problem with some people being mega wealthy and I don't think we should be imposing ridiculously high taxes on them.

They control over 75% of the wealth and bear less than half the tax burden. I think they're okay, but I'm sure they appreciate people who are worried about the plight of the wealthy.

Wealth is a bogus stat in relation to income taxes. They don't have 75% or even 50% of the income. We have an income based tax so if they are under 50% of the income they should be bearing less than half of the tax burden.
I'm not worried about the plight of the wealthy I just think fair is fair. I'm not political, but when Obama was running for president all I ever heard was let's take the money away from the wealthy and give it to other people. That sounds like theft to me. He didn't encourage people to earn money. He was all about hand outs. To me this makes people reliant on the government. Now in this pandemic/crisis we are just printing money with nothing behind it and handing it out. I get that people need help, but there has to be consequences to this. Unlike Unome and David F I'm not a financial whiz, but I'm guessing the results of this could be catastrophic.

In 2016 the top 20% in the USA had over 80% of the wealth and over 60% of the income. This gap has been and continues to trend larger and larger. It's dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical.

This only matters if you think, as you said you do, that wealth is static. If the size of the pie is unchangeable, then every penny the top 20% make is stolen from the other 80%. But that is not even sort of how things work in reality.

The reality is the top 20% earn most of the extra pie that existed because they helped grow the pie. Now, I guess you can complain about them keeping most of the extra pie that they grew, but then again, if they did not grow that pie, no one would have gotten any of it.
Post #: 209
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:18:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Do you recall what I was saying when I came out of the ventilator? There are two sides and we aren't listening to each other. We need to work more together for a higher purpose. A nation divided can not stand. I realize this is the opposite of Communism which says that progress comes by conflict. The radical Left thinks that way. They say the violence will continue until progress is made, but I say they will never be satisfied. It's like an addictive drug. I do believe that there are good people who are Democrats, but it freaks me that no one is saying violence is misdirected The cause may be just, but the ends don't justify the means.

This is clear to me, but I do believe that we do need each other. Somehow we have to overcome our hatred for each other.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 210
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:22:03 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

What is really crazy is that when people like Bush 2 wanted to start letting people invest Social Security dollars into the stock market, the almost all Democrats were opposed despite the fact that FDR originally wanted Social Security funded like a regular pension plan.

There is a way for the 99% to have a much bigger slice of the pie and that is to become owners. The best way for the middle class to become owners is to allow them to invest their retirement money into ownership. If all of us had all owned significant portions of the stocks and bonds of American businesses, we would have all benefited greatly from the same trends that David, Lynn and Sweens now lament.
Post #: 211
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:44:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

What is really crazy is that when people like Bush 2 wanted to start letting people invest Social Security dollars into the stock market, the almost all Democrats were opposed despite the fact that FDR originally wanted Social Security funded like a regular pension plan.

There is a way for the 99% to have a much bigger slice of the pie and that is to become owners. The best way for the middle class to become owners is to allow them to invest their retirement money into ownership. If all of us had all owned significant portions of the stocks and bonds of American businesses, we would have all benefited greatly from the same trends that David, Lynn and Sweens now lament.

An interdependence where everyone shares in the economy.

Next would be mutual prosperity with governance that all people can participate in.

Lastly, we need universally shared values such as the virtue of living for the sake of others, recognizing that every person is precious regardless of race, etc., and true love is where we are only happy when the other person is happy too. These values will only work absolutely when they are practiced by everyone.

Post #: 212
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:49:53 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Interesting, I didn't remember that. I'm not a big fan of GWB, with his brutal foreign policy record, but if his social security reform had passed, it might have been his most important accomplishment. The way things are, the wealth gap just keeps getting wider and wider.
Post #: 213
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:51:16 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Do you recall what I was saying when I came out of the ventilator? There are two sides and we aren't listening to each other. We need to work more together for a higher purpose. A nation divided can not stand. I realize this is the opposite of Communism which says that progress comes by conflict. The radical Left thinks that way. They say the violence will continue until progress is made, but I say they will never be satisfied. It's like an addictive drug. I do believe that there are good people who are Democrats, but it freaks me that no one is saying violence is misdirected The cause may be just, but the ends don't justify the means.

This is clear to me, but I do believe that we do need each other. Somehow we have to overcome our hatred for each other.

The radical left is hopeless, but I do not think the average American of any political bent wants their sort of conflict or America.

I do not think it will save him, but I know people that really do not like Trump that will probably vote for him because they saw what the left was about in the riots and all the aftermath and said: that is not how I feel about my country.

I am hoping Trump losing will make the conflict go down. Sure, Biden is a terrible choice, but he should be less divisive than Trump.

America has always been a group of people with significantly different thoughts and opinion. The politicians in Washington kept things together by working with each other and compromising.

Take Sweens 91% top income tax rate. They put that in so that the resentful people could feel good about a huge tax on the rich. But, the politicians knew that this tax would never work, so they made a bunch of loopholes. This is still a bad idea as we do not really want politicians telling people where to invest their money, but it allowed everyone to be happy.

The difference today is that the hard core extremists on both sides can find each on social media and instead of everyone watching the same relatively mainstream nightly news, we know have most of our news channels geared toward one slant of news.

The right winger can watch Fox, or whatever that new station is, listen to right-wing talk radio and read Breitbart. The left-winger can watch MSNBC or CNN, watch nightly talk shows and read DailyKos and Mother Jones.

These two people will almost never hear news that is not slanted toward a side they already largely agree with. The result is that the 'other guys' are then evil.

The weird thing is that it all could have been different except for bad luck, or possibly stupid voters. The Republicans nominated McCain and Romney, two moderates that could work with Democrats and who both, ironically, have been called RINOs in the Trump era. But America voted for Obama who pledged an end to partisanship as we knew it. It is both Obama and thee Republicans fault that this was clearly not what happened.

The person to help us to improve this mess will have to be an amazing politician that can be a partisan enough to get elected in his primary, but then can take all the hate and ugliness from the other side and let it roll of his or her shoulders. We need a Reagan or Bill Clinton. Both politicians that could inspire their base and were hated by the core of thee other party, but could energize both their base and the moderates of either party.

If we get a leader like this, the ugliness will not end, Heck, people on this thread still do not like Reagan. They may be too partisan to attack Clinton and they probably voted for him twice and would have a third time if possible.

We need a really good President again. We have not had one in 20 years and Trump vs. Biden gives me no hope for at least 4 more years.

Sorry, I wish I could be more positive, but if enough people like you reach out to others and ask us to overcome our differences, you can still help the world become a better and less hateful place!
Post #: 214
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:51:43 PM  1 votes
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess all I had to do was say ‘mega wealthy’ instead of top 1% and the entire argument could have shifted. Sarcasm. Eye roll.

I have no problem with some people being mega wealthy and I don't think we should be imposing ridiculously high taxes on them.

They control over 75% of the wealth and bear less than half the tax burden. I think they're okay, but I'm sure they appreciate people who are worried about the plight of the wealthy.

Wealth is a bogus stat in relation to income taxes. They don't have 75% or even 50% of the income. We have an income based tax so if they are under 50% of the income they should be bearing less than half of the tax burden.
I'm not worried about the plight of the wealthy I just think fair is fair. I'm not political, but when Obama was running for president all I ever heard was let's take the money away from the wealthy and give it to other people. That sounds like theft to me. He didn't encourage people to earn money. He was all about hand outs. To me this makes people reliant on the government. Now in this pandemic/crisis we are just printing money with nothing behind it and handing it out. I get that people need help, but there has to be consequences to this. Unlike Unome and David F I'm not a financial whiz, but I'm guessing the results of this could be catastrophic.

In 2016 the top 20% in the USA had over 80% of the wealth and over 60% of the income. This gap has been and continues to trend larger and larger. It's dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical.

This only matters if you think, as you said you do, that wealth is static. If the size of the pie is unchangeable, then every penny the top 20% make is stolen from the other 80%. But that is not even sort of how things work in reality.

The reality is the top 20% earn most of the extra pie that existed because they helped grow the pie. Now, I guess you can complain about them keeping most of the extra pie that they grew, but then again, if they did not grow that pie, no one would have gotten any of it.

The majority of wealth in USA is either inherited or gained through speculation. Humans have basic needs and rights that should be met before we start to justify unimaginable wealth hoarding.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 215
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 7:54:11 PM   
unome

quote:

An interdependence where everyone shares in the economy.

Next would be mutual prosperity with governance that all people can participate in.

Lastly, we need universally shared values such as the virtue of living for the sake of others, recognizing that every person is precious regardless of race, etc., and true love is where we are only happy when the other person is happy too. These values will only work absolutely when they are practiced by everyone.

Bruce Johnson for President!

He can beat COVID and he can unite our country!
Post #: 216
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:03:30 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The majority of wealth in USA is either inherited or gained through speculation. Humans have basic needs and rights that should be met before we start to justify unimaginable wealth hoarding.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/wealthx-billionaire-census-majority-of-worlds-billionaires-self-made.html

I am not sure what "speculation" means to you, but I am also positive that you have no idea how wealth is created or why wealth, even other people's wealth, helps us all.

As for helping with the basic needs, the wealthy are doing this already:

The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).
The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a 26.9 percent individual income tax rate, which is more than seven times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.7 percent).

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2018-update/

And that is not even counting charity:

https://givingpledge.org/About.aspx
Post #: 217
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:13:56 PM   
unome

quote:

Interesting, I didn't remember that. I'm not a big fan of GWB, with his brutal foreign policy record, but if his social security reform had passed, it might have been his most important accomplishment. The way things are, the wealth gap just keeps getting wider and wider.

Many people have wanted to do this for years. I do not really understand why anyone is against this. If you do not trust the stock market, you could always just buy government bonds so no one would be forced to invest.

The cynic in me thinks that some politicians like the us v them of class warfare. And I suppose it is hard to demonize corporations, Wall Street, banks and capitalism and then pass laws that helps enfranchise the middle and working classes and even the poor to become owners of corporations, Wall Street, banks and capitalism.

The left should be the biggest supporters of this idea. Everyday people could own enough of corporations where could then put pressure on corporations RE environmental standards, racial equality/social justice, executive competition and so on.

I may seem like I am defending the wealthy, but I only want America to keep growing because then everyone wins. And I do not want a guy to buy his third Bentley, I want average Americans to do well and live the American Dream. We have the biggest economy in the world and owning a nice chunk of it would make everyday people much wealthier over time.

< Message edited by unome -- 8/8/2020 8:15:52 PM >
Post #: 218
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:31:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Wealth that is created by others voluntarily paying for products and services is good. Wealth that is created by force is not good.

Post #: 219
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:36:39 PM  1 votes
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/wealthx-billionaire-census-majority-of-worlds-billionaires-self-made.html

I am not sure what "speculation" means to you, but I am also positive that you have no idea how wealth is created or why wealth, even other people's wealth, helps us all.

The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).
The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a 26.9 percent individual income tax rate, which is more than seven times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.7 percent).

I never said that people’s wealth can’t or doesn’t help. I said the inequality of how it’s spread is dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical. Spare me the bootlicking you give the wealthy because they are so noble as to share some of their unfathomable wealth that their grandkids’ grandkids couldn’t spend all of if they tried Also, no shit the top 1% (whoops! Be careful - using the term top 1% is an indication of not understanding economics according to you) pay so much of the share of taxes. They own damn near everything. When a guy making $15 an hour can’t even buy the human necessities how should he also pay a bigger share of the tax?

You go ahead and put seven or eight consecutive posts and keep spinning.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 220
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 8:55:30 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said that people’s wealth can’t or doesn’t help. I said the inequality of how it’s spread is dangerous, unsustainable, and unethical. Spare me the bootlicking you give the wealthy because they are so noble as to share some of their unfathomable wealth that their grandkids’ grandkids couldn’t spend all of if they tried Also, no shit the top 1% (whoops! Be careful - using the term top 1% is an indication of not understanding economics according to you) pay so much of the share of taxes. They own damn near everything. When a guy making $15 an hour can’t even buy the human necessities how should he also pay a bigger share of the tax?

But if you take it too far, people just leave. I'm guessing more businesses have left California to go to Texas, for instance, than the other way around. Same with people. Cuomo has apparently been visiting those in the top 1% who left Manhattan for another residence to try to get them to come back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8595717/Cuomo-begs-wealthy-New-Yorkers-come-save-city-Ill-buy-drink.html
Post #: 221
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 9:30:50 PM   
kgdabom

I don't claim to have any understanding of economics. However, the thing that seems obvious to me and correct me if I'm wrong is production is what we need. If nobody is producing anything then their is nothing to buy or own. If we can generate production to me it seems that would drive prosperity. Hopefully for everybody. Get the GNP up. That In my uneducated opinion about economics is how we may be able to pull our country out of the economic devastation that has been brought on by the COVID-19.
David F,
Lynn,
Unome
Jbusse
what are your thoughts about this?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/8/2020 9:33:17 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 222
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 10:04:12 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

I point out facts that you do not like and that makes me a bootlicker, eh? I love taking venom from the extremists whether they be leftists or Trumpers. But your hate is not getting you anywhere in life.

I talked about the top 1% because it is what you (and Sweeney and Lynn) talked about. The economics of resent is all about how the the top 1%'s success is somehow causing the detriment of others. Us and them is all there is and classist resent, by itself, will get us nowhere.

And I never said a person making $15 an hour should pay more in taxes. I just pointed out that taxes from the wealthy pay are already funding a lot of things. I know two single parents that make ~$15 an hour and they get almost $10,000 back in taxes each year. With the EIC, they have a negative income tax rate. This is only possible with some other people paying in a ton of money, but I am not complaining about the wealthy paying a bunch of money as they are making a lot and have to pay a lot.
Post #: 223
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 10:08:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Many people have wanted to do this for years. I do not really understand why anyone is against this. If you do not trust the stock market, you could always just buy government bonds so no one would be forced to invest.

The cynic in me thinks that some politicians like the us v them of class warfare. And I suppose it is hard to demonize corporations, Wall Street, banks and capitalism and then pass laws that helps enfranchise the middle and working classes and even the poor to become owners of corporations, Wall Street, banks and capitalism.

The left should be the biggest supporters of this idea. Everyday people could own enough of corporations where could then put pressure on corporations RE environmental standards, racial equality/social justice, executive competition and so on.

I may seem like I am defending the wealthy, but I only want America to keep growing because then everyone wins. And I do not want a guy to buy his third Bentley, I want average Americans to do well and live the American Dream. We have the biggest economy in the world and owning a nice chunk of it would make everyday people much wealthier over time.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I remember (as it was happening)saying on the Politics Board that this seemed like a good idea. You could play it safe or try to go a little riskier. But you would be in control.

I got lambasted. I think it was JC, DAO and some other posters just ripping it. It was about most people basically not being smart enough to do it. Gamble their retirement away, etc...

I just kind of let it go because those people were so adamant.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 8/8/2020 10:11:23 PM >
Post #: 224
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 8/8/2020 10:10:05 PM   
unome

quote:

Wealth that is created by others voluntarily paying for products and services is good. Wealth that is created by force is not good.

Good stuff.

I would argue that wealth was never created by force. It was stolen by force. This force can be through things like slavery or by violence by the state like the Roman Empire, Bolsheviks, Mao, Hitler, etc. (All of these states also used slave labor.)

Sadly, this happened throughout pretty much all of human history until very recently when it has largely been legislated away.
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode