Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 11:43:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Over the course of the last 20 years, can you name which three schools the #Vikings have selected most of their players from during the NFL Draft?

(Purple Post on Twitter)

I have the answer for you, but would you like me to wait for your guesses?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 926
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 11:46:39 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I just did the PFF draft sim and took Mac Jones with the 14th. They gave that move an A+.
I went heavy on OL after that with Keldrick Green in the 2nd and got a C+ for that.
Ended up with an A- grade overall.

I copied it, but can't paste it here for whatever reason.

PFF overvalues QB's in their grading.

The grades are irrelevant and just something they threw in to make a fun draft tool a little more fun - for free.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 927
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:00:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is from Malik on Twitter:

the more im thinking about it, the more im 90% sure Orlando Brown will be traded to the Vikings IF he gets traded.

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

its clear the Vikings biggest need is OT. At pick 14 its likely the top 3 Tackles in the draft will all be taken.

Baltimore doesn’t have a 3rd round pick and Minnesota has two.

this move would allow the Ravens to come up for a high upside WR or Pass Rusher

and Vikes to get their OT of the future while being able to trade down from pick 27 to get back a 2nd that they didn’t have, OR to take an edge rusher of their own.

This is the ultimate win/win trade.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 928
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:20:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

the more im thinking about it, the more im 90% sure Orlando Brown will be traded to the Vikings IF he gets traded.

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

its clear the Vikings biggest need is OT. At pick 14 its likely the top 3 Tackles in the draft will all be taken.

and Vikes to get their OT of the future while being able to trade down from pick 27 to get back a 2nd that they didn’t have, OR to take an edge rusher of their own.

We could double up on the OLine with this move.

#27 Guards Dickerson or Davis

#78 O. Brown

Then go defense and WR after that. Possibly another OT/G type. Also, QBOTF- Franks from Arkansas

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/16/2021 12:22:38 PM >
Post #: 929
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:27:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

#78 O. Brown

Then go defense and WR after that. Possibly another OT/G type. Also, QBOTF- Franks from Arkansas

Malik thinks that the top three offensive linemen will be gone before #14. I still like Vera-Tucker. I'm not really a big fan of Brown, but I can't say that I'm a great Orlando Brown expert.

Post #: 930
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:32:11 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

Let's see ...

OT – O'Neal (our only decent player on the OL), Hill (our only decent back-up on the OL, Cleveland (our only possible decent non-O'Neal / Hill player with a chance to to be solid [it remains to be seen])
C – Bradbury (struggling at best but still young and may be better with better Gs not yet on the roster)
G – Nobody (we are paying Cole more than just a body but that was a value pick-up, not a serious upgrade at the position).

(Cleveland has no business filling a two year gap at Guard; no, Udoh doesn't matter)

I would argue OT is the least of our OL woes but that's stretching it (without Reiff) ... G x 2 and even more, a G/C + G are far and away our biggest needs.

DE is a huge need but at least that position is bolstered by linemates Hunter Pierce Tomlinson (on paper).

Our guards stick out like ... let's just say that the nail that stands up gets hammered down.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/16/2021 12:34:45 PM >
Post #: 931
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:43:34 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

Let's see ...

OT – O'Neal (our only decent player on the OL), Hill (our only decent back-up on the OL, Cleveland (our only possible decent non-O'Neal / Hill player with a chance to to be solid [it remains to be seen])
C – Bradbury (struggling at best but still young and may be better with better Gs not yet on the roster)
G – Nobody (we are paying Cole more than just a body but that was a value pick-up, not a serious upgrade at the position).

(Cleveland has no business filling a two year gap at Guard; no, Udoh doesn't matter)

I would argue OT is the least of our OL woes but that's stretching it (without Reiff) ... G x 2 and even more, a G/C + G are far and away our biggest needs.

DE is a huge need but at least that position is bolstered by linemates Hunter Pierce Tomlinson (on paper).

Our guards stick out like ... let's just say that the nail that stands up gets hammered down.

Landon Dickerson looks like an animal.

But, ACL tear in December. Maybe PUP for 6 weeks and then chance to start after that.
Post #: 932
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:44:06 PM   
Pauldiercks1

Brown should be a borderline pro bowl LT. If we can get him we need to based on our track record for picking O-line. Ideally if they can wait during the draft and keep our 14 and send a future second and other picks would be outstanding. We could pick up another stud T/G or DE to plug in.

That may not happen to keep the 14 but it's possible. There is a reason there is always talk of him coming to the Vikings. If we hold out through the first round of the draft and at least see what's there for us.
The team is coming together but we need to maximize the top picks. It could be the perfect time to strike on a guy like Brown.
Post #: 933
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:49:21 PM   
Todd M

I'm with Tom.

I think we'd do a lot more for our team by going G @14 and then again with one of our 3rds than using top resources with picks or $'s for a LT.
Post #: 934
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:52:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

#78 O. Brown

Malik thinks that the top three offensive linemen will be gone before #14. I still like Vera-Tucker. I'm not really a big fan of Brown, but I can't say that I'm a great Orlando Brown expert.

It would be an incredible u-turn for this regime to, 1) spend that kind of draft capital at OL and, 2) splurge on one of the most unathletic OTs (but young and somehow pretty decent) in recent memory. The scheme fit just isn't there. Also, Baltimore has apparently been asking for a #1 – they won't get it ... but not having a 2 may hamstring us there.

BUT ... like you say I am no Brown expert ... and at this point, any kind of attention to the OL is a Red Ryder BB gun Christmas present. Throwing a 300 lb sloth at OT is not any worse than throwing a prototypical slender 2nd rd OT at G.
Post #: 935
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:56:15 PM   
bstinger

I just traded back from 14 to 17, picked up 48 and gave away 134.

Drafted Vera-Tucker at 17 Kendrick Green, G Illinois at 90 and David Moore G Grambling St. at 157.

WR's didn't fall for me like I wanted, but it was a good draft mostly taking best player available, within the top couple of picks anyway. In addition to really bolstering the O line, I picked up some secondary depth with 2 CB's and 2 S's

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 936
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 12:58:07 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Drafted Vera-Tucker at 17 Kendrick Green, G Illinois at 90 and David Moore G Grambling St. at 157.

WR's didn't fall for me like I wanted, but it was a good draft mostly taking best player available, within the top couple of picks anyway. In addition to really bolstering the O line, I picked up some secondary depth with 2 CB's and 2 S's

Thumbnail Image

Excellent!
Post #: 937
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 1:04:04 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

Let's see ...

But, ACL tear in December. Maybe PUP for 6 weeks and then chance to start after that.

Like DE Phillips, Dickerson smells like a guy that may drop well below projections. I could see Dallas or somebody else with some huevos taking a flyer on that kind of player.

Not sure coding for draft huevos is part of our genetic material.
Post #: 938
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 1:09:29 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm with Tom.

I think we'd do a lot more for our team by going G @14 and then again with one of our 3rds than using top resources with picks or $'s for a LT.

Sweet. It's totally on you if we pass on Brown and continue to fail.
Post #: 939
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 1:21:04 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Thumbnail Image

That thing is pretty cool.

Traded with Indy.

Top 3 picks were Paye, G/C Meinerz(Wisc. Whitewater) and LT Christenson(BYU)

Ended up with a B-
Post #: 940
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 1:26:49 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

#78 O. Brown

It would be an incredible u-turn for this regime to, 1) spend that kind of draft capital at OL and, 2) splurge on one of the most unathletic OTs (but young and somehow pretty decent) in recent memory. The scheme fit just isn't there. Also, Baltimore has apparently been asking for a #1 – they won't get it ... but not having a 2 may hamstring us there.

BUT ... like you say I am no Brown expert ... and at this point, any kind of attention to the OL is a Red Ryder BB gun Christmas present. Throwing a 300 lb sloth at OT is not any worse than throwing a prototypical slender 2nd rd OT at G.

I agree that Brown is not a good fit for us.
Just say no.
Post #: 941
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 2:44:54 PM   
Bill Jandro

Brown usually pushes his de back into the LB thus reaching the 2nd level with brute force.

Think this regime is taking this athleticism trait too far. It's really only on display for screen passes which we only run 2 times a game.

How about getting a couple brutes that can actually block vs getting rag dolled.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 942
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 2:50:36 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Brown usually pushes his de back into the LB thus reaching the 2nd level with brute force.

Think this regime is taking this athleticism trait too far. It's really only on display for screen passes which we only run 2 times a game.

How about getting a couple brutes that can actually block vs getting rag dolled.

Reaching the second level is all well and good if you can make that first block. Otherwise you're in the second level of the defense while the ball carrier is buried at the line.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 943
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 2:57:25 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

How about:

Starter: Sub

LT Brown: Hill
LG Dickerson: Cole
C Bradbury: Dickerson, Cole
RG Cleveland: Udoh, 4th Rounder
RT O'Neill: Hill, Udoh
Post #: 944
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:21:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

How about:

Starter: Sub

LT Brown: Hill
LG Dickerson: Cole
C Bradbury: Dickerson, Cole
RG Cleveland: Udoh, 4th Rounder
RT O'Neill: Hill, Udoh

+1

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 945
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:30:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

Let's see ...

I saw that too Tom and agree. When we literally no (zero, zip, zilch, nada) starting caliber guards, OT is not clearly our biggest need.
Post #: 946
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:30:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

Let's see ...

Problem is he has had other injuries.
Post #: 947
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:33:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm with Tom.

$ factor is important... can we even fit Brown into the cap?

Heck, even if they wanted to cut Gladney I don't think they can absorb the cap hit.
Post #: 948
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:37:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings send:
Pick 14
Pick 78

Ravens send:
Orlando Brown Jr
Pick 27

#78 O. Brown

You are catching fire! It's the shiny new toy syndrome. We are somehow "linked" or "there is a connection" or we are "the best fit" for, well, any player out there. I believe Garoppolo is signing with us tomorrow because of Cousins' connection to a former coach!
Post #: 949
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/16/2021 4:57:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Turn the first and the original third rounder into a pair of picks in the 25-35 range. At least then Spielman has all night to see Mel Kiper's best picks for day two.

As I posted previously, our high picks have sucked or certainly have not been worth their draft slot. Yes every draft is a new roll of the dice, but this regime certainly has no business picking OL (of all positions!) at #14.
Post #: 950
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode