Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/17/2021 4:21:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Over the course of the last 20 years, can you name which three schools the #Vikings have selected most of their players from during the NFL Draft?

(Purple Post on Twitter)

I have the answer for you, but would you like me to wait for your guesses?

I would guess Notre Dame, UCLA and The Ohio State University.

Florida. South Carolina. USC. On Twitter many other people guessed your three schools, so they must have been high on the list too.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 976
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/17/2021 4:49:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Thinking that there's a high chance that one of these players will be drafted by the Vikings early, I found this fascinating. Some people like Chris Simms a lot on his draft perspectives. He says, in particular, that his number one guy (Phillips) should go between 10 and 20. Of course that's right where our team selects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxyjpzElJE

Here's his offensive line rankings. What stands out to me is that he has Slater as his fifth offensive lineman. He says that he gets pushed around a bit. I don't like the sound of that. The way he speaks of Vera-Tucker it makes me think that I will be good if the Vikings select him even at #14. Best pure pass protector and most overall athletic is how describes him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFpUBdv_xRg

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/17/2021 5:11:12 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 977
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/17/2021 5:13:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

1. Notre Dame, 69 points
Florida, 66.
Alabama, 56.
Ohio State, 54.
USC, 51.
Oklahoma, 49.
Iowa, 44.
Texas A&M, 41.
Stanford, 38.

Or

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-teams-best-offensive-linemen-148182028/#148182028_2

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 978
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/17/2021 5:40:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Thinking that there's a high chance that one of these players will be drafted by the Vikings early, I found this fascinating. Some people like Chris Simms a lot on his draft perspectives. He says, in particular, that his number one guy (Phillips) should go between 10 and 20. Of course that's right where our team selects.

Here's his offensive line rankings. What stands out to me is that he has Slater as his fifth offensive lineman. He says that he gets pushed around a bit. I don't like the sound of that. The way he speaks of Vera-Tucker it makes me think that I will be good if the Vikings select him even at #14. Best pure pass protector and most overall athletic is how describes him.

If Slater gets pushed around, he'll fit right in at guard. We like our guards lanky athletic and lacking in lower body strength.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 979
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/17/2021 5:45:36 PM   
Todd M

"The way he speaks of Vera-Tucker it makes me think that I will be good if the Vikings select him even at #14."

---

I support that 100%
Post #: 980
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 12:06:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

"The way he speaks of Vera-Tucker it makes me think that I will be good if the Vikings select him even at #14."

---

I support that 100%

You will like this then. He says that Vera-Tucker is worthy of a slight trade up. Spencer Thompson worked very hard for this. I will call it a qualitative ranking with big opinions.

https://twitter.com/ThompsonNFL/status/1383634440170053637?s=19

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/18/2021 12:08:30 AM >

Post #: 981
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 12:16:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

If Slater gets pushed around, he'll fit right in at guard. We like our guards lanky athletic and lacking in lower body strength.

Thompson also has Phillips rated as worthy of a slight trade up. Surprising. And Barmore as a third rounder. Shocking, but I love to see big opinions based on film review. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Leber because he is watching film too.

Post #: 982
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 8:58:36 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thompson also has Phillips rated as worthy of a slight trade up. Surprising. And Barmore as a third rounder. Shocking, but I love to see big opinions based on film review. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Leber because he is watching film too.

I read an article in the Bleecher Report about Barmore being the player most likely to be over drafted. His stock appears to be dropping with the "draft experts".

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 983
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 9:08:13 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I read an article in the Bleecher Report about Barmore being the player most likely to be over drafted. His stock appears to be dropping with the "draft experts".

I could handle this.

#14 AVT, Slater or Darrisaw
#78 Barmore
Post #: 984
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 9:14:10 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

I just did the PFF draft sim and took Mac Jones with the 14th. They gave that move an A+.
I went heavy on OL after that with Keldrick Green in the 2nd and got a C+ for that.
Ended up with an A- grade overall.

I copied it, but can't paste it here for whatever reason.

PFF overvalues QB's in their grading.

Chris Simms who I greatly respect has Mac Jones as without a doubt the best player in the draft. I would be thrilled if we got him at 14.

NFL.com makes Mac Jones sound somewhat like Christian Ponder:

Doesn't play with the desired poise of an NFL starter.
Antsy when reads don't quickly come together.
Play can be panicky and rushed in the face of pressure.
Has trouble locating open targets in direction where heat is coming from.

Granted, they list many positives, but these are worrisome.
Post #: 985
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 9:16:43 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just did the PFF draft sim and took Mac Jones with the 14th. They gave that move an A+.
I went heavy on OL after that with Keldrick Green in the 2nd and got a C+ for that.

Chris Simms who I greatly respect has Mac Jones as without a doubt the best player in the draft. I would be thrilled if we got him at 14.

I'm not against Mac Jones.

But, if Davis Mills(Stanford) went to Alabama, would he be mentioned as a Top 10 guy? Probably. Because his stats would be off the charts.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/18/2021 9:18:08 AM >
Post #: 986
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 9:43:46 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not against Mac Jones.

But, if Davis Mills(Stanford) went to Alabama, would he be mentioned as a Top 10 guy? Probably. Because his stats would be off the charts.

I agree that Mills has plenty of untapped ability.

Coincidentally, Mills is from the same high school as my daughter. The northern Atlanta suburbs and beyond are amazing as far as QB talent. Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, and Justin Fields are also from around here. Even Kyle Sloter .
Post #: 987
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 3:43:35 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Trevor Lawrence@Trevorlawrencee
Thank you @Jaguars fans. We really appreciate the wedding gifts and donations for charities of our choice! In addition to the donations, Marissa and I will also be donating $20K to charities in Jacksonville. Thanks again, we hope to be a part of your community soon🙏🏻

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 988
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 3:58:39 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would not draft Phillips before the 4th rd., if at all. The concussions are huge ... he also quit football for godsakes before returning / transferring schools.

"On August 16, 1999, Underwood was claimed off waivers by the Miami Dolphins as 23 teams passed on him. He ... played in only one preseason game before injuring his shoulder and also showing a lack of focus on football. Multiple times during team meetings, Underwood was found not taking notes, but instead writing about the apocalypse."

Spielman and Zimmer are facing their own purple end of times, if they don't get this draft right.
Post #: 989
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 5:18:12 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would not draft Phillips before the 4th rd., if at all. The concussions are huge ... he also quit football for godsakes before returning / transferring schools.

"On August 16, 1999, Underwood was claimed off waivers by the Miami Dolphins as 23 teams passed on him. He ... played in only one preseason game before injuring his shoulder and also showing a lack of focus on football. Multiple times during team meetings, Underwood was found not taking notes, but instead writing about the apocalypse."

Spielman and Zimmer are facing their own purple end of times, if they don't get this draft right.

Yeah. Great point.

When we pick DE, Paye or wait til 3rd or 4th round.

Paye seems like the hungry type who will work for everything he gets. I've said it before, his body type reminds me of John Randle.
Post #: 990
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 6:06:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. Great point.

Paye seems like the hungry type who will work for everything he gets. I've said it before, his body type reminds me of John Randle.

Heavy chain around his waist at weigh in and all?
Post #: 991
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 6:14:37 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. Great point.

Who??
Post #: 992
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/18/2021 8:48:37 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. Great point.

Who??

From his wikipedia page

Randle went undrafted; he tried out for his brother's team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but was thought to be too small, and was not signed to a contract. The 6'1" 244-lbs. defensive lineman was picked up by the Vikings after the draft on the recommendation of Head Scout Don Deisch. Randle was told by the Vikings that he would only be picked up if he came back with his weight over 250 lbs, but he was at 244 lbs, so when he was weighed he hid a chain under his sweats to get his weight up.
Post #: 993
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 10:14:54 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Bateman will most likely be there with one of our 3rd rounders (not sure he'll slide to 90 but it's possible). Guy should have a good/solid NFL career.

Why is Bateman likely to be there in the third? What changed? I heard nothing but 1st round for him previously.

You're thinking of Batman.

Nope Bateman. I saw him mocked as early at 10 and late in the first, but never out of it.

My hunch is that he goes early in the second round, but I could be wrong. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

First mock I checked CBS

Round 1 - Pick 20
Rashod Bateman WR
MINNESOTA • SOPH • 6'2" / 210 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Chicago
PROSPECT RNK
34th
POSITION RNK
6th
Given the uncertainty with Allen Robinson's future, the Bears pick a wideout with similar characteristics to him for new starter Andy Dalton.

2nd mock I checked had Bateman falling out of the first round and this interesting Vikings trade back.

Minnesota Vikings
(via Washington)
TRADE
Christian Darrisaw
Virginia Tech · OT
Minnesota fills a big need by solidifying the left tackle position after Riley Reiff's exit.

Bateman's dropping because he's 6'0'' / 190 LBS whereas MN had him listed as 6'2'' / 210 LBS

That would do it. Did the NFL have official measurements done?

He was measured at Minnesota's pro day on April 1. He said he's never been 200+ (or 6'2" presumably).

thanks

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 994
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 10:18:08 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Simms has him as highly poised in all circumstances.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 995
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 11:20:34 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Only WR to record 50+ yards in a game against Jaycee Horn...
DeVonta Smith (60)

(ProFootball Focus on Facebook)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/19/2021 11:23:25 AM >

Post #: 996
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 12:31:11 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Who won’t be there and we don’t need..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 997
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 12:35:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

Looking around at draft stuff, vikings.com pulls together some mocks ... there were a few things I found interesting (posted March 30 so its ancient):

https://www.vikings.com/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-tracker-5-0

Hasan's predicted pick at No. 78: Ben Cleveland, Guard, Georgia

"I can't think of a better way to make Vikings fans happier than double-dipping on the offensive line. Cleveland, like Cosmi, was a remarkable athletic tester. That testing didn't always show up on the field, and he won more with (a lot of) power than speed, but he was nevertheless an effective zone blocker and pass protector with more potential to unlock. Aside from the confusion of having a pair of guards named "Cleveland," I think Vikings fans might be relieved to see their team taking a big player and having him shed some pounds for movement capability rather than taking an undersized athlete and hoping he adds strength."

Please yes.

Hasan picks Sam Cosmi at #14 which is a real head scratcher. However, if and when we trade down or up and pick up a 2nd rd. pick ... I could see Cosmi being a target.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/19/2021 12:37:50 PM >
Post #: 998
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 1:06:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

Also, for all the BPA talk spilling out of the regime's mouth ...

Weren't #1 Jefferson (post Diggs), #1 Bradbury (post Elflein), #1 Cook (post Peterson), #1 Treadwell (nobody at the position), #1b Bridgewater (post Ponder) ... all huge need picks?

My memory isn't good ... but it seems like Hughes was the only 'pure' BPA #1 pick, with Barr and Waynes someone between BPA and Need.

Ofcourse, in Spielman's mind our biggest need is having no 7th rd pick ... but after that you have to assume, after totally committing to D in FA, he will go OT to replace Reiff ... which has been his MO.

That being said, don't be surprised if the networks give a pre-first round pick shot into our War Room and you see Zimmer and Patterson in little party hats, marching around the room stomping their feet, unrolling their little party blow tickler things at Spielman's head as they campaign for an edge rusher.
Post #: 999
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/19/2021 3:02:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

What will be your reaction if Cosmi is the pick at #14? I will feel utter despair. At #22 on a trade back I will say "let's go", but not at #14. That would be a reach.

Post #: 1000
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode