Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:06:40 PM   
Brad H

As I see it, the three worst contracts in the NFL this coming season are Goff, Ryan and Cousins.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 551
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:08:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Tell me how many of these guys you'd rather have than Cousins.

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Dak Prescott has no business being in the upper tier and the rest of it just absurd. I put Cousins in the next tier after the elites. Most metrics for measuring QB performance outside of the Brad H eye test support that. In evaluating him against that tier, keep in mind that he operates behind the worst pass blocking of the bunch and hasn't had the same offensive coordinator two years in a row.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 552
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:12:18 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Dak Prescott has no business being in the upper tier and the rest of it just absurd. I put Cousins in the next tier after the elites. Most metrics for measuring QB performance outside of the Brad H eye test support that. In evaluating him against that tier, keep in mind that he operates behind the worst pass blocking of the bunch and hasn't had the same offensive coordinator two years in a row.

Prescott would be at the bottom of that list for me. I could see him slipping into the next grouping. I've got no problems with that.

Mahomes, Watson and Wilson all operate behind bad offensive lines. That has little to do with it. Can they make plays when it matters? I'd take any of those guy 16 times a year over Cousins.

Post #: 553
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:13:44 PM   
The Happy Norseman

I realize that FA just started, and that RS hates offensive linemen for some reason, but at the start of free agency I did not expect the Vikings offensive line depth chart to look like this:

(LT) Cleveland - Hill - Brandel
(LG) Hinton - Bailey
(C) Bradbury
(RG) Samia
(RT) O'Neill - Udoh

Perhaps the Vikings will be the first team to ever draft 10 offensive linemen in one draft?.....

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 554
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:14:02 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

As I see it, the three worst contracts in the NFL this coming season are Goff, Ryan and Cousins.

I think that is a valid stance to take.

After Rodgers, Brady, and Mahomes (slam dunk they are all worth the money) I would take a $15 million dollar guy like Fitzpatrick or Mariotta and spend the rest on the surrounding cast.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 3/18/2021 12:18:05 PM >
Post #: 555
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:16:21 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

None of those guys would be my starting quarterback if I was an NFL general manager. No chance, no how. Glaciers move faster.

Post #: 556
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:22:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

None of those guys would be my starting quarterback if I was an NFL general manager. No chance, no how. Glaciers move faster.

Again, easy to say. How do you do it? I put down what happened in 2018 that is leading to 2021. Give us a scenario that works.

IMO the best scenario was SF trade and also draft a qb early this year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 557
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:23:57 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Again, easy to say. How do you do it? I put down what happened in 2018 that is leading to 2021. Give us a scenario that works.

IMO the best scenario was SF trade and also draft a qb early this year.

Honestly, I don't know that there is a fix. I think we're pretty much screwed for at least another year.

I'd tell Cousins to take a pay cut or we are going to start Sean Mannion. If you can't beat out Mannion, you are on your last contract in the NFL in the eyes of GM's.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 12:27:17 PM >

Post #: 558
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:55:37 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Prescott would be at the bottom of that list for me. I could see him slipping into the next grouping. I've got no problems with that.

Mahomes, Watson and Wilson all operate behind bad offensive lines. That has little to do with it. Can they make plays when it matters? I'd take any of those guy 16 times a year over Cousins.

And you would not do as well with most of them.

O-line and scheme has a lot to do with it. Mahomes is the only one that operates behind an epically bad line like Cousins. Mahomes is elite. Cousins is second tier. Like I said, if you are determined to ignore the metrics that measure QB performance and say 16 guys are easily better and that Cousins operates at the same tier as Mitch Trubisky, that's what your going to believe.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 559
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:59:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny thing is you were the only guy banging the Cousins drum before we got him.
Post #: 560
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:59:48 PM   
Pager

I haven't seen anyone post that the extension of Cousins was a good idea.

It's funny how Brad's argument changes to fit the narrative. Accounting is the only reason why you can list Wentz' salary as 15M, because all of the bonus stayed on the Eagles books when they traded him. He is a 30M QB.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 561
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:04:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny thing is you were the only guy banging the Cousins drum before we got him.

Funny thing is that Cousins was around the 8th highest average QB salary and was #8 in quarterback ranking last year. But, it's one of the 3 worst contracts in football. Again, if you want to ignore every metric used to evaluate QB you can say anyone is the most overpaid and mediocre at best.

Post #: 562
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:11:51 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny thing is that Cousins was around the 8th highest average QB salary and was #8 in quarterback ranking last year. But, it's one of the 3 worst contracts in football. Again, if you want to ignore every metric used to evaluate QB you can say anyone is the most overpaid and mediocre at best.

#8 quarterback ranking means absolutely nothing to me. He's one of the worst two-minute quarterbacks I've ever seen, completely incapable of making plays when it matters. A lot of guys have put up decent numbers and never won a damned thing. Cousins doesn't have that "IT" factor a quarterback needs to win the big one. He's not a leader of men. You can't quantify that with stats. Only with big wins.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 1:16:22 PM >

Post #: 563
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:16:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

#8 quarterback ranking means absolutely nothing to me. He's one of the worst two-minute quarterbacks I've ever seen, completely incapable of making plays when it matters. A lot of guys have put up decent numbers and never won a damned thing. Cousins doesn't have that "IT" factor a quarterback needs to win the big one. He's not a leader of men.

Once again, the Brad eye test trumps all facts. I'm out. You're going to see whatever you are determined to see and you clearly need glasses.

Post #: 564
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:21:27 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

#8 quarterback ranking means absolutely nothing to me. He's one of the worst two-minute quarterbacks I've ever seen, completely incapable of making plays when it matters. A lot of guys have put up decent numbers and never won a damned thing. Cousins doesn't have that "IT" factor a quarterback needs to win the big one. He's not a leader of men.

Once again, the Brad eye test trumps all facts. I'm out. You're going to see whatever you are determined to see and you clearly need glasses.

I find it interesting you equate offensive stats to facts (as it relates to being a great quarterback). I equate big wins to being a great quarterback. I'll take big wins over stats any day of the week, and I don't think there's many in here that wouldn't.

Fantasy football has breed a ton of guys like yourself over the past three decades. Back in the real world, stats mean absolutely nothing if you can't produce them when it matters.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 1:23:23 PM >

Post #: 565
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:27:32 PM   
TJSweens

Never play fantasy football and don't pay attention to fantasy football sites. Offensive stats are not perfect, but they are clearly a thousand times less subjective than your criteria. You see what you are determined to see.

Post #: 566
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:34:20 PM   
Brad H

Cousins had a 63.7 passer rating in the final two minutes of halves this past season. Anybody think that's good? $33-million good?

Ranks somewhere between 30-35 in the league amongst guys that started at least a handful of games.

How is that for facts?

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/passing/last-two-minutes-half/2020?sort=passrate

56.2% completion %. 5 TD's, 7 INT's.

He just went down to a $10-million quarterback with that research.

The only guy in the league that threw more than 50 passes in the final two minutes that was worse was Drew Lock. FACTS!

So, when it mattered, he ranked 29th among quarterbacks that threw more than 50 passes in the final two minutes of halves. Roethlisberger threw 49, and he was much higher in the ratings. So, 30th!

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 1:55:01 PM >

Post #: 567
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:53:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

Giants sign Rudolph.

2 yrs. $16M
Post #: 568
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:58:07 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Giants sign Rudolph.

2 yrs. $16M

I thought he'd do better than that. Jonnu Smith got a ton of money.
Post #: 569
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 2:07:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

Giants sign Rudolph.

2 yrs. $16M

Jonnu is young and more athletic (probably a better blocker too). Rudolph has great hands--that might be it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/18/2021 2:09:11 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 570
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 2:18:55 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

Giants sign Rudolph.

2 yrs. $16M

Jonnu is young and more athletic (probably a better blocker too). Rudolph has great hands--that might be it.

Good points. Rudy was never a real threat to break one.
Post #: 571
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 2:22:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning. The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted.

Culpepper once had that $100 million contract, including incentives such as leading the team in special teams tackles.
Post #: 572
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 2:40:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Do NOT reach for any of the guards at #14. Either trade down quite a bit and get one or draft Kwity Paye. 6' 4", 272 lbs. Natural DE but played DT too. Fast and explosive, see the 1:26 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJcoVKnTIg

Yes we need guards, just don't waste draft assets by drafting foolishly. Especially when you can bolster a premium position like DE.
Post #: 573
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 3:04:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Positions where we lack a viable starter:

G - draft focus
DE - draft focus

G - possible mid-tier vet
S - vet min
3WR - can probably fill between Beebe, vet min, and later draft pick. Maybe a feel-good June 1st cut that pretends to be insurance.
Post #: 574
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 3:23:05 PM   
bstinger

We need to improve on Beebe. 3rd round pick.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode