Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 8:44:09 AM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

imo, spielman is trying to set the team up so he can pick a wr in the 1st round

I don't see it and I hope not. A run 1st team with 2 really good receivers and a decent TE should not be looking WR in the 1st.

It should be a guard...even if that entails a trade down. I don't know the perceived G value in this draft but we gotta be primed to get one of the best.

I wouldn't mind that in the least if indeed Spielman covers the LT position before the draft. Why limit our self to a run first offense when we can just be a great offense.
Post #: 526
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 8:50:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Chiefs signed Kyle Long today. That's the guy the Vikings should have been looking at. Was a Pro Bowl guy his first three years in the league and then was hampered with injuries for four straight years. Comes out of retirement to protect Patrick Mahomes for $5-million.

I guess its possible he's gotten more durable as he's gotten older, but he appears to be held together by duct tape and ACE bandages.

In his last 4 years he's had ankle, foot, shoulder, elbow and neck injuries.

Seems like his knees are OK at least...

*Knocks on wood*

I think it goes a lot deeper than just a handful of nagging injuries. Long was a guy interested in broadcasting and business ventures and may have become a bit less interested in playing for a subpar Chicago organization than chasing other dreams. Now after a one-year retirement, the idea of playing in front of Mahomes seems rather enticing.

At $5-million for one year, he could end up being the steal of the 2021 free agency period. In his first three years in the league he was as good as any guard in the league. He didn't suddenly lose that talent. He's athletic enough where he may even play tackle.

It's an interesting gamble.
Long is really good when healthy.

For a Chiefs team that fell short because of line injuries I'm not sure this isn't setting yourself up for a repeat.

I would have been all for it if they Vikes had enticed him to play thought... although I don't think the Vikes are a team he comes out of retirement for at the moment.

Exactly. Long is a kid that came from money. He made great money playing for seven years and had a ton of other things going on in broadcasting, advertisements, etc.... However, if you give him a chance at a ring playing in front of a generational quarterback he's going to do it. $5-million? That's a freaking steal for the Chiefs.

Or he could get hurt in the preseason and not play all year.

OG is supposed to be the easiest spot to fill----which makes it the hardest for the Vikings. Typical.

Sure he could. So could anybody for that matter. But at $5-million that could end up being one of the best signings of the year if he's right.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 527
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 9:59:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chiefs signed Kyle Long today. That's the guy the Vikings should have been looking at. Was a Pro Bowl guy his first three years in the league and then was hampered with injuries for four straight years. Comes out of retirement to protect Patrick Mahomes for $5-million.

I guess its possible he's gotten more durable as he's gotten older, but he appears to be held together by duct tape and ACE bandages.

*Knocks on wood*

I think it goes a lot deeper than just a handful of nagging injuries. Long was a guy interested in broadcasting and business ventures and may have become a bit less interested in playing for a subpar Chicago organization than chasing other dreams. Now after a one-year retirement, the idea of playing in front of Mahomes seems rather enticing.

At $5-million for one year, he could end up being the steal of the 2021 free agency period. In his first three years in the league he was as good as any guard in the league. He didn't suddenly lose that talent. He's athletic enough where he may even play tackle.

For a Chiefs team that fell short because of line injuries I'm not sure this isn't setting yourself up for a repeat.

I would have been all for it if they Vikes had enticed him to play thought... although I don't think the Vikes are a team he comes out of retirement for at the moment.

Exactly. Long is a kid that came from money. He made great money playing for seven years and had a ton of other things going on in broadcasting, advertisements, etc.... However, if you give him a chance at a ring playing in front of a generational quarterback he's going to do it. $5-million? That's a freaking steal for the Chiefs.

OG is supposed to be the easiest spot to fill----which makes it the hardest for the Vikings. Typical.

Sure he could. So could anybody for that matter. But at $5-million that could end up being one of the best signings of the year if he's right.

It seems like an overpay for a unretired OG with injuries. Chiefs currently have a worse line then we do---so there is that.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 528
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:04:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It seems like an overpay for a unretired OG with injuries. Chiefs currently have a worse line then we do---so there is that.

We'll have to agree to disagree. $5-million is not a lot of money in the NFL. And he's likely way more healthy now than he was 14 months ago. Sounds like a potential win-win for both sides.

Post #: 529
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:08:33 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

We'll have to agree to disagree. $5-million is not a lot of money in the NFL. And he's likely way more healthy now than he was 14 months ago. Sounds like a potential win-win for both sides.

It's a big gamble.

If he stays healthy it's a big win.

If he misses the playoffs, Mahomes ends up running for his life again and you might have squandered another SB run.

We shall see.
Post #: 530
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:13:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

If he misses the playoffs, Mahomes ends up running for his life again and you might have squandered another SB run.

We shall see.

How is $5-million a big gamble? Pat Elflein makes $4.5-million. Who would you rather have?

Post #: 531
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:26:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

No.

Kyle Long is a good gamble for the Chiefs in their situation, having just released both their starting but injured OTs / signing Thuney to a huge contract ...

If we used $5m of our limited cap on a 32 yr oft-injured OT that hadn't played a full season since 2015, there'd be an insurrection at Winter Park.

Right now we have three OTs on the roster, O'Neil-Cleveland-Hill. One is a swing T back-up. One played G last year but was drafted to play T and with Reiff gone ....

We have Bradbury at C.

We have nothing at G. (you can include Samia and Hinton but why would you, they are not starters)

If we are going to gamble $5 much less $5m, please be at G.
Post #: 532
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:48:08 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

How is $5-million a big gamble? Pat Elflein makes $4.5-million. Who would you rather have?

It's not the money... $5 mil is nothing for a lineman.
It's the expectation he is going to be there with a lengthy injury history.
If you get to week 14 and boom he goes down for remainder of the year it's too late to get a decent replacement.
Oft injured players are a time bomb.
Post #: 533
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:52:44 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

If you get to week 14 and boom he goes down for remainder of the year it's too late to get a decent replacement.

How soon people forget the 2016 Jake Long / Andre Smith fiasco!
Post #: 534
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 10:55:50 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

Long is a $10-million guard making $5-million. Cousins is a $15-million quarterback making $33-million. It's an example of why the Chiefs are good and the Vikings are not.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 10:57:43 AM >

Post #: 535
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:06:31 AM   
TJSweens

There is no way, no how that a QB of Cousins' caliber would garner anything less than $25M on the open market. $15M is a ridiculously low figure.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 536
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:17:28 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

There is no way, no how that a QB of Cousins' caliber would garner anything less than $25M on the open market. $15M is a ridiculously low figure.

Admittedly, my opinion. I think he's, at-best, a mediocre quarterback. Somewhere in the 15-20 range of quarterbacks in the league, maybe lower.

Post #: 537
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:21:08 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Admittedly, my opinion. I think he's, at-best, a mediocre quarterback. Somewhere in the 15-20 range of quarterbacks in the league, maybe lower.

I guess if you're determined to dislike Cousins, you're going to dislike Cousins.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 538
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:28:45 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

Long is a $10-million guard making $5-million. Cousins is a $15-million quarterback making $33-million. It's an example of why the Chiefs are good and the Vikings are not.

Long was worth $10m in 2015 ... then failed to provide $1m of value in 2016-2017-2018-2019. Even so, I like the gamble for the Chiefs.

Our deal with Cousins vs. the Long signing? That's pretty funny – you just can't help yourself can you ... it doesn't matter how far fetched, there has to be a dig in there somewhere for Cousins.

Stonehenge is a much better value for England than the Vikings got for Cousins.
Post #: 539
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:34:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

You are wrong on both of those....Long was a 10$ million/year guard 3 years ago; Cousins was a $15million/year qb 4 years ago.

It isn't 2016 any more.....trying to fit your narrative doesn't make it right. Marcus Mariota and Drew Brees are making $15 million a year for their 2021 salaries. Drew Brees is retired; Mariota is a a backup for the Raiders. It doesn't get you much for a qb.

Post #: 540
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:34:33 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i wonder if spielman has the balls to ask hunter to restructure...again....

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
The Adam Thielen restructure (very simple move - base salary was converted to a signing bonus) is done and has hit the books, per league sources. The move saves the Vikings over $8 million and drops the wide receiver's cap hit from $13.468 to $5.698 for 2021.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 3/18/2021 11:35:38 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 541
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:35:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Hopefully picking up Peterson squelches Zimmer from getting another 1st rd CB

A pass rusher could still be in play. They could even trade back and still get an elite pass rusher and hopefully pick up a second rounder where they could select a guard. They could, but I'm not sure if that's what I would want. But imagine our defense if we did get the best edge rusher in the draft and he turns out to be an absolute stud. It could be something special. The chances for that increase if we come up with a guard yet in free agency.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 542
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:36:04 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

It's a big gamble.

We shall see.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the discussion we were having...

You said $5mil is a bargain... I agreed.

I said it was a big gamble... that could pay off or leave you very exposed.

You came back with Cousins salary...
Post #: 543
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:37:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

The same Xavier Rhodes who had, arguably, his best season last year?

Yep...that one. He was great here, wasn't he? Welcome Patrick Peterson...PFF 90th rated CB last year! I think Danzler was rated higher lol.

I did hear that the Cardinals didn't have much of a pass rush last year, which is especially tough on a man to man secondary.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 544
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:39:05 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess if you're determined to dislike Cousins, you're going to dislike Cousins.

Tell me how many of these guys you'd rather have than Cousins.

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Middle-Tier Guys (high ceiling):
Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Middle-Tier Guys (medium ceiling):
Baker Mayfield
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Jimmy G
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisberger

Middle-Tier Guys (low ceiling): (I would put Cousins in this grouping)
Sam Darnold
Matt Ryan
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Mitchell Trubisky
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz

Lower-Tier Guys:
Drew Lock
Mike Glennon
Jared Goff
Daniel Jones
Saints starter (Winston or Hill)

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 11:42:08 AM >

Post #: 545
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:44:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Baker Mayfield
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Jimmy G
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisberger

Sam Darnold
Matt Ryan
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Mitchell Trubisky
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz

Lower-Tier Guys:
Drew Lock
Mike Glennon
Jared Goff
Daniel Jones

Where are Mariota and Brees in your grouping? The 15 million/year guys?

Post #: 546
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:46:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Did we have any acknowledgment of the fact that PATRICK Peterson joined the Vikings on St. PATRICK's day?

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

Post #: 547
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:49:07 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Baker Mayfield
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Jimmy G
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisberger

Sam Darnold
Matt Ryan
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Mitchell Trubisky
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz

Lower-Tier Guys:
Drew Lock
Mike Glennon
Jared Goff
Daniel Jones

Drew Brees is right next to Joe Montana. Retired.

I'd put Mariota in the Middle-Tier (low ceiling) category.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 11:50:11 AM >

Post #: 548
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 11:56:14 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Baker Mayfield
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Jimmy G
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisberger

Sam Darnold
Matt Ryan
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Mitchell Trubisky
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz

Lower-Tier Guys:
Drew Lock
Mike Glennon
Jared Goff
Daniel Jones

So going thru your list which of those guys worth $15million or less we can get w/o any more than $15 million compensation, just wondering. Sam Bradford made more than that in 2016.

Lets go back to 2018
Sam at $18, Teddy at $7-12, Keenum at $18 million. Those were our other choices.....

How do you get to your choices in 2021 from those available in 2018 and only pay $15million/year....i'll hang up and listen.

Post #: 549
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 12:00:12 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Upper-Tier Guys:
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray
Matthew Stafford
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Baker Mayfield
Derek Carr
Jalen Hurts
Jimmy G
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisberger

Sam Darnold
Matt Ryan
Teddy Bridgewater
Cam Newton
Mitchell Trubisky
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz

Lower-Tier Guys:
Drew Lock
Mike Glennon
Jared Goff
Daniel Jones

So going thru your list which of those guys worth $15million or less we can get w/o any more than $15 million compensation, just wondering. Sam Bradford made more than that in 2016.

Lets go back to 2018
Sam at $18, Teddy at $7-12, Keenum at $18 million. Those were our other choices.....

How do you get to your choices in 2021 from those available in 2018 and only pay $15million/year....i'll hang up and listen.

What are the 2021 salaries of those guys in the Middle Tier (low ceiling)? Darnold's 2021 base salary is $920k. Wentz $15.4 for Indy. Newton $1.5.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 12:02:18 PM >

Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode