Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:44:50 PM   
marty

Glad to see Arizona sniped another player the Packers were rumored to be persuing, AJ Green.

If Fitzgerald comes back, they'll have quite a trio of WRs. They should be a playoff team.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 501
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:05:15 PM   
Brad H

Chiefs signed Kyle Long today. That's the guy the Vikings should have been looking at. Was a Pro Bowl guy his first three years in the league and then was hampered with injuries for four straight years. Comes out of retirement to protect Patrick Mahomes for $5-million.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 502
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:29:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Chiefs signed Kyle Long today. That's the guy the Vikings should have been looking at. Was a Pro Bowl guy his first three years in the league and then was hampered with injuries for four straight years. Comes out of retirement to protect Patrick Mahomes for $5-million.

I guess its possible he's gotten more durable as he's gotten older, but he appears to be held together by duct tape and ACE bandages.

In his last 4 years he's had ankle, foot, shoulder, elbow and neck injuries.

Seems like his knees are OK at least...

*Knocks on wood*
Post #: 503
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:33:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I initially wasn't a fan of this signing, but now that Jeff says it's horrible, I feel like it could work out.

You dissing Li'l Jeffy?

< Message edited by thebigo -- 3/17/2021 10:36:40 PM >
Post #: 504
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 1:58:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

Peterson might be a good fit with Smith.

He can play deep while Smith can lurk around the LOS causing a lot of chaos

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 505
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 3:53:04 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

are we playing peterson at safety?...it seems like every move spielman makes takes him one step further away from a solid guard signing....

make no mistake; rick spielman hates guards....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 506
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 5:07:02 AM   
Bruce Johnson

For 10 million we know that Peterson will be a three down player. His signing has Zimmer's stamp on it. They are emphasizing fortifying the defense. Last year's defense was embarrassing- much more uglier than the offense.

I do believe CB is a more critical and valuable position than guard, but we all know that they can't go with the same guards as last year.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 507
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 6:08:35 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

For 10 million we know that Peterson will be a three down player. His signing has Zimmer's stamp on it. They are emphasizing fortifying the defense. Last year's defense was embarrassing- much more uglier than the offense.

I do believe CB is a more critical and valuable position than guard, but we all know that they can't go with the same guards as last year.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Details on Patrick Peterson’s deal with the #Vikings, per source:

$8 million base salary
Up to $1 million in playing time incentives (maxing out at 95% PT; Peterson played 98.83% last year)
$1 million All-Pro incentive

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL
Patrick Peterson is heading from a Cardinals' D that ran the most Man coverage last season (extremely Man-1 heavy) to a Zimmer Vikings' Cover-2 Zone scheme.

He'll have more help and should be positioned for a bounceback campaign under an elite defensive coach.

if we trade for orlando brown jr. that's $3.4m for 2021 - which is very affordable, but he's got a bug up his ass about only playing left tackle - so cleveland stays at right guard and we pick up a cheap free-agent left guard and draft one - probably in the 3rd round....

i'm assuming we've pulled the mac alexander offer off of the table, but maybe not if peterson is penciled in at safety....

imo, spielman is trying to set the team up so he can pick a wr in the 1st round....

NFL Rumors@nflrums
#Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald has two teams on his radar per report if he does not retire #Vikings and #Bucs #NFL #nflrumors

spotrac says that we are $33m under the cap in 2022, and $155m under the cap in 2023....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 3/18/2021 6:29:57 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 508
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 6:31:35 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I guess its possible he's gotten more durable as he's gotten older, but he appears to be held together by duct tape and ACE bandages.

*Knocks on wood*

I think it goes a lot deeper than just a handful of nagging injuries. Long was a guy interested in broadcasting and business ventures and may have become a bit less interested in playing for a subpar Chicago organization than chasing other dreams. Now after a one-year retirement, the idea of playing in front of Mahomes seems rather enticing.

At $5-million for one year, he could end up being the steal of the 2021 free agency period. In his first three years in the league he was as good as any guard in the league. He didn't suddenly lose that talent. He's athletic enough where he may even play tackle.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/18/2021 6:34:54 AM >

Post #: 509
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 6:53:14 AM   
Todd M

quote:

imo, spielman is trying to set the team up so he can pick a wr in the 1st round

I don't see it and I hope not. A run 1st team with 2 really good receivers and a decent TE should not be looking WR in the 1st.

It should be a guard...even if that entails a trade down. I don't know the perceived G value in this draft but we gotta be primed to get one of the best.
Post #: 510
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:23:33 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

I think it goes a lot deeper than just a handful of nagging injuries. Long was a guy interested in broadcasting and business ventures and may have become a bit less interested in playing for a subpar Chicago organization than chasing other dreams. Now after a one-year retirement, the idea of playing in front of Mahomes seems rather enticing.

At $5-million for one year, he could end up being the steal of the 2021 free agency period. In his first three years in the league he was as good as any guard in the league. He didn't suddenly lose that talent. He's athletic enough where he may even play tackle.

It's an interesting gamble.
Long is really good when healthy.

For a Chiefs team that fell short because of line injuries I'm not sure this isn't setting yourself up for a repeat.

I would have been all for it if they Vikes had enticed him to play thought... although I don't think the Vikes are a team he comes out of retirement for at the moment.
Post #: 511
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:38:40 AM   
beo

Argghh... would have liked to get Jackson:

"According to multiple reports, the Raiders have agreed to trade guard Gabe Jackson to the Seahawks. A 2021 fifth-round pick will go back to Vegas in the deal."
Post #: 512
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:40:15 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Argghh... would have liked to get Jackson:

"According to multiple reports, the Raiders have agreed to trade guard Gabe Jackson to the Seahawks. A 2021 fifth-round pick will go back to Vegas in the deal."

Well we had 4ths to burn...
Post #: 513
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:40:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

are we playing peterson at safety?...it seems like every move spielman makes takes him one step further away from a solid guard signing....

The low priority he places on the G position is embarrassing. Last year the defense was the weak link but throughout his tenure as GM this has only been able to get so far before the oline is completely exposed.

Post #: 514
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:52:47 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

The low priority he places on the G position is embarrassing. Last year the defense was the weak link but throughout his tenure as GM this has only been able to get so far before the oline is completely exposed.

I wonder if they hope to get Reiff back on the cheap?
Post #: 515
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:53:46 AM   
Bill Jandro

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning. The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted.

Post #: 516
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:55:18 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

I don't see it and I hope not. A run 1st team with 2 really good receivers and a decent TE should not be looking WR in the 1st.

It should be a guard...even if that entails a trade down. I don't know the perceived G value in this draft but we gotta be primed to get one of the best.

Speilman should make sure he comes out of 1st Round with either Slater or Vera Tucker.
Post #: 517
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:55:22 AM   
beo

Field Yates @fieldyates

The Vikings opted to use a post-June 1 designation on Kyle Rudolph's release, spreading the dead money over 2021-2022.

Minnesota will now pick up $7.9M in cap space on June 2 (useful for draft pick signing/in-season roster movement).
Post #: 518
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:56:29 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning. The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted.

Probably not getting reiff back on the cheap
Post #: 519
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:56:31 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder if they hope to get Reiff back on the cheap?

After seeing what the 33(July) old Williams got probably not.

Low cap is seemingly having zero effect on player price tags so far.

Post #: 520
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:57:45 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Speilman should make sure he comes out of 1st Round with either Slater or Vera Tucker.

Darrisaw?

Post #: 521
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 7:59:09 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Darrisaw?

Maybe. Pretty sure he is Tackle only where other guys are LT/LG.

I really like Vera Tucker.
Post #: 522
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 8:10:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

I remember when Charles Woodson was called old and the Packers signed him or Newman when we signed him the first time. If Peterson has some of that in him he will help a ton. I remember Woodson played pretty much all positions.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 523
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 8:14:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

For a Chiefs team that fell short because of line injuries I'm not sure this isn't setting yourself up for a repeat.

I would have been all for it if they Vikes had enticed him to play thought... although I don't think the Vikes are a team he comes out of retirement for at the moment.

Exactly. Long is a kid that came from money. He made great money playing for seven years and had a ton of other things going on in broadcasting, advertisements, etc.... However, if you give him a chance at a ring playing in front of a generational quarterback he's going to do it. $5-million? That's a freaking steal for the Chiefs.

Post #: 524
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/18/2021 8:29:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

*Knocks on wood*

Exactly. Long is a kid that came from money. He made great money playing for seven years and had a ton of other things going on in broadcasting, advertisements, etc.... However, if you give him a chance at a ring playing in front of a generational quarterback he's going to do it. $5-million? That's a freaking steal for the Chiefs.

Or he could get hurt in the preseason and not play all year.

OG is supposed to be the easiest spot to fill----which makes it the hardest for the Vikings. Typical.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode