Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 12:46:55 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Watching the Saints having to gut their roster is hilarious. And they’re still about $25.6 mil over the cap.

(Jared Barsness on Twitter)

Horrible GM.

The Saints are 49-15 over the past four years, with four division titles. That's the kind of horrible I can get behind. They haven't gone worse than 7-9 since 2005.

Except they went more than all in and will suffer now.

Good for them.

So they have a down year or two while they restock with high draft picks.

I'd much rather do it that way than attempt to be constantly mediocre.

Finding someone to replace Brees is not going to be easy. They were awarded 3 comp picks for this upcoming draft (2 - 3rd rounders) to bring their total up to 6 picks for the draft.

I think they were smart to go all in at the end of Bree's career (compare to GB). The irony is no SB's during that window.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 201
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 1:15:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

I just read that Shamar Stephen has the 8th(!) highest cap hit for the Vikings. That's just embarrassing. We dumped Rudy and Reiff, which was expected. Hopefully Stephen is next. We'll most likely rework Harrison Smith's deal, and ideally Barr's as well. We'll definitely have some money to work with in FA and I suspect a lot of vets will be willing to sign cheaper 1 year deals so they can get better money next year when things (hopefully) have gone back to normal. With the lowered cap teams are cutting a lot of big name players, which might really work out in the Vikings favor. It's not unrealistic to think that RS might sign a couple of decent, 2nd-tier guys like Geno Atkins and Matt Feiler or Kevin Zietler that could make a huge difference for the upcoming season. Hope springs eternal.

Linval for Stephen could be a even swap(cap wise) and win for us on the field.

No way will we swap Stephen's cap/contract for Joseph. We already have Pierce. His backup, assuming he will play, will be one of the mid-round youngsters on the roster or a FA signing for the vet min.
Post #: 202
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 4:35:04 PM   
Mark Anderson

G Trai Turner released.

If we don't come out of FA with a solid vet Guard, we didn't try hard enough.
Post #: 203
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 5:01:03 PM   
Bill Johanesen

We will sign at least one G. It's sad we don't have a single middle rounder who is a candidate to be a viable starter. Red "Sometimes ya gotta coach 'em up" McCombs would go nuts.

Absolute clear holes; current candidates are office worker equivalents (assumes Cleveland to OT but he is an unknown):
- G
- G
- S

Positions technically 'filled' but not with legit NFL talent:
- DT
- Third CB
- 3WR

LB is up there assuming Wilson leaves, but 1/2 the time only two LBs are on the field.

Can't wait to read about the vet min signings.
Post #: 204
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 5:16:24 PM   
David F.

quote:

G Trai Turner released.

This off-season is the mother of all buyers’ markets.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 205
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 7:45:46 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You're both right, it was a combination of the Bucs' players in their 2ndary, and up front heavily studied Mahome's tendencies.

It wasn't really elite players.

You could have plugged Barr or Kendricks in there, and they would have been making plays. Stick Griffin or Hunter, or Joseph of 2 years ago, and they would have been making plays with the Bucs.

Stick Rhodes, or even Waynes in there, have them do mega studying of Mahome's tendencies, and with the pressure up front, they would have been making plays in the SB.

Nobody thinks it is either one or the other.

Well ... except for Brad.

Not true. It works in concert. But if you can't cover, you got now shot in this era.

oooooh...I love concerts...but while I think a good cover is valuable, good original material is more so
Post #: 206
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 8:46:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

if you've got money and are looking to remake your OL, boy is this your year

(Mike Golic Jr. on Twitter)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 3/13/2021 10:58:22 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 207
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 10:00:38 AM   
David F.

quote:

(Mike Folic Jr. on Twitter)

If we re-structured Thielen and Harrison Smith (both have plenty of room to convert salary to bonus) we could end up with the cap space to sign two good guards. Then we could truly draft BPA and make a run.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 208
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 10:24:59 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

(Mike Folic Jr. on Twitter)

If we re-structured Thielen and Harrison Smith (both have plenty of room to convert salary to bonus) we could end up with the cap space to sign two good guards. Then we could truly draft BPA and make a run.

Post #: 209
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 10:44:18 AM   
Murph

What if we freed up enough sign Linsley at C and moved Bradbury to G?

I'm not a big fan of moving players around to different positions but Bradbury has experience as a guard and looked over matched pass blocking as a center.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 210
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 11:00:29 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

What if we freed up enough sign Linsley at C and moved Bradbury to G?

I'm not a big fan of moving players around to different positions but Bradbury has experience as a guard and looked over matched pass blocking as a center.

Or we could acquire a guard who can also play center and then work it out in training camp where they should play.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 211
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 11:14:18 AM   
bohumm

quote:

G Trai Turner released.

Recently said almost the exact same thing myself, but I think we should try for two. Fill holes with vets where possible and try to draft a future star at 14.
Post #: 212
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 11:43:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

There is no way - no way - we can NOT come away with a decent FA G ... maybe not one of the top 3-4 or 5 but nothing less than a legitimate starter / borderline 1st tier player.

Losing Reiff complicates the final OL configuration but adding a FA G while losing Dozier (and praying for improvement from Bradbury) ... gives us a chance.

Cleveland / O'Neil / Bradbury / FA / a someone (from our current developmental pile like Udoh etc - or - one of David F's cherry middle round picks from this year - or - one of our annual last cut-down castoff signings in Sept)

Add Spielman's premium FA signings THIS year (Hunter / Pierce) with an actual 2nd tier DE signing THIS year (Griffith?) to a 1st-2nd (move up)-3rd rd picks on defense ...

Boom. A godless bloodthirsty horde of savages, once again into the breach ...
Post #: 213
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 11:54:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

There is no way - no way - we can NOT come away with a decent FA G ... maybe not one of the top 3-4 or 5 but nothing less than a legitimate starter / borderline 1st tier player.

Losing Reiff complicates the final OL configuration but adding a FA G while losing Dozier (and praying for improvement from Bradbury) ... gives us a chance.

Cleveland / O'Neil / Bradbury / FA / a someone (from our current developmental pile like Udoh etc - or - one of David F's cherry middle round picks from this year - or - one of our annual last cut-down castoff signings in Sept)

Add Spielman's premium FA signings THIS year (Hunter / Pierce) with an actual 2nd tier DE signing THIS year (Griffith?) to a 1st-2nd (move up)-3rd rd picks on defense ...

They certainly would know they would be the starter and for an offense that performed at a high level with lousy guard play last year.

Post #: 214
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:03:26 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

They certainly would know they would be the starter and for an offense that performed at a high level with lousy guard play last year.

There's only about two guards that project into the first two rounds. I still advocate for getting a minimum of one standout in FA and would be smiling if we got two. Rounds 3-6 will have plenty of decent options. Have some faith.

Post #: 215
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:09:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

We will sign at least one G. It's sad we don't have a single middle rounder who is a candidate to be a viable starter. Red "Sometimes ya gotta coach 'em up" McCombs would go nuts.

Absolute clear holes; current candidates are office worker equivalents (assumes Cleveland to OT but he is an unknown):
- G
- G
- S

Positions technically 'filled' but not with legit NFL talent:
- DT
- Third CB
- 3WR

LB is up there assuming Wilson leaves, but 1/2 the time only two LBs are on the field.

Can't wait to read about the vet min signings.

The first week of September (final cut-downs) – our big hole-filling period - really isn't that far away.

Someone needs to scratch out the bolded smiley face exclamation mark in Sept. (on Spielman's calender) and circle March 17. And soon.
Post #: 216
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:12:12 PM   
Bill Jandro

Supposedly a real deep G draft. However I don't think anybody on planet earth believes Rick and our scouting staff to nail a good mid-round G. Just think Willie Beavers....

FA wise we really need 3T,G,G,S.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 217
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:19:33 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

There's only about two guards that project into the first two rounds. I still advocate for getting a minimum of one standout in FA and would be smiling if we got two. Rounds 3-6 will have plenty of decent options. Have some faith.

Your arguments have been strong enough to start me leaning that way

It's on you though if we end up with another Spielman OL stinker from rds 3-4 ... totally your fault.
Post #: 218
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:26:53 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your arguments have been strong enough to start me leaning that way

It's on you though if we end up with another Spielman OL stinker from rds 3-4 ... totally your fault.

This is a lot of pressure.

Post #: 219
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/13/2021 12:39:45 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

i want two guards in free agency - a $7-8m/yr guard and a $3-4m/yr guard...then draft Dickerson somewhere after the 1sts round....

forget orlando brown jr - he's demanding a trade from Baltimore because he only wants to play left-tackle - we just cut a solid left-tackle - i don't want a prima-dona who's going to make large contract demands next season....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 220
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/14/2021 9:54:17 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

i want two guards in free agency - a $7-8m/yr guard and a $3-4m/yr guard...then draft Dickerson somewhere after the 1sts round....

forget orlando brown jr - he's demanding a trade from Baltimore because he only wants to play left-tackle - we just cut a solid left-tackle - i don't want a prima-dona who's going to make large contract demands next season....

The #4 Off ranking vs. the Def ranking / our cap situation ... negates any possibility of Spielman binging on a Reiff Remmers double-dip free agency approach [before the draft].

I think.

We'll find out soon enough ... if he tampers with / signs / or even just goes after a decent OL in the first couple of weeks, I will be very pleasantly shocked.

For all we know, re-signing Hill might be his big OL target in FA which would 'allow us to focus on BPA in the draft'.

Someone between 4-8m, a middle and late rd. draft pick ... then the 'sorting it out' period through training camp – before 'pouncing' on another final cut-down dude for the vet minimum.
Post #: 221
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/14/2021 10:25:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/allen_robinson_reportedly_will_not_sign_franchise_tag_with_bears/s1_127_34350494

Post #: 222
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/14/2021 11:09:17 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The #4 Off ranking vs. the Def ranking / our cap situation ... negates any possibility of Spielman binging on a Reiff Remmers double-dip free agency approach [before the draft].

I think.

We'll find out soon enough ... if he tampers with / signs / or even just goes after a decent OL in the first couple of weeks, I will be very pleasantly shocked.

For all we know, re-signing Hill might be his big OL target in FA which would 'allow us to focus on BPA in the draft'.

Someone between 4-8m, a middle and late rd. draft pick ... then the 'sorting it out' period through training camp – before 'pouncing' on another final cut-down dude for the vet minimum.

Ok, I had to check the Vikings roster for another player named Hill. 4-8 million for Rashad Hill. Really? REALLY?
Post #: 223
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/14/2021 1:24:29 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Odenigbo Hints That He's Heading Back the Cardinals....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 224
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/14/2021 1:31:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think.

Ok, I had to check the Vikings roster for another player named Hill. 4-8 million for Rashad Hill. Really? REALLY?

Never said that. two diff projections, right? maybe resign hill (only as in no outside FAs) ... maybe sign someone for 4-8m (with a second decent FA out of the question). The main point.
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode