Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 9:47:46 AM   
Ush

My $.02:

1. We paid a ton of money to fix the interior oline with Tomlinson/Pierce and then Richardson. How are we so bad agains the run? We have one of the best tackling LB’s in Kendricks. Is it scheme? Is it that Pierce and Tomlinson are just not good? I have a buddy who is a huge Giants fan and said the Tomlinson was great for them. Is he playing a different role here? Being asked to do different things? Are the safeties playing deep to help guard agains questionable play from the CB’s and can’t help in run support? So many questions about this run defense. Whatever it is.....it needs to change.

2. Coming into the season I don’t think anyone here was satisfied or comfortable with the oline. Those fears have been realized and, yup, they still stink. Darrisaw needs to play so we know what we have. Bradbury is just a bust. Teams trot out 3rd string guys that play better than Hill. I

3. A bad running play for teams against us is only gaining 2-3 yards. Our bad running plays are usually around a minus 6. We are losing in the trenches.

4. Jefferson and Theilen are your bread and butter on offense. Get them involved early and often.

5. I don’t lay the blame for yesterday on Cousins. He was under duress the whole game after the 1st drive. No QB plays great under constant pressure. That being said, the fundamental flaw with Cousins is that he will never be able to extend plays or get a 1st down with a scramble the way QB’s regularly do against us. It’s also probably the reason we don’t really move him around or roll him out very often. He’s just not a mobile guy. I’m not sure you can win in today’s NFL that way unless you are a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

6. Viking playmakers who show up every week: Jefferson, Theilen, Hunter, Kendricks.
Guys who are considered to be playmakers that need to show up more often: Harrison Smith, interior D-line, Cook (injury related), Barr (same).

7. If we lose next week we need to blow it all up. I don’t want to see us fight to get to .500 or a last playoff spot just to get blown out in the playoffs.

8. One other thing on Cousins. He has to know his contract is killing the team’s ability to add another couple of talented players around him. How much money is enough? Do you want to win or make as much money as possible? Because that $40M cap hit next year is just going to make things worse. He’s taken us for close to $100M so far. Why hamstring what the team can do at this point? You either want to win or it’s not as important as the money.
Post #: 276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 9:49:46 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Firing Zimmer, not first…

Firing The GM of this mess.. Spielman is first.

Spielman and his contracts, to Cousins in particular, and his inability to draft Offensive linemen, ever, or put in place coaching personnel, is FIRST, FIRST, FIRST!!!

Im sick of the GM approach that has resulted in mediocrity, for a decade, not to mention his tenure as VP of player personnel…

HE is the albatross, the common denominator, the root of all evil and disappointment.

Zimmer is his baby, his enabler, his addiction

Zimmer’s addiction is 70’s Tudor electric, era football, Run First, safe play calling, and a QB with no guts but impressive statistical production.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/4/2021 9:57:25 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:05:58 AM   
David F.

quote:

6. Viking playmakers who show up every week: Jefferson, Theilen, Hunter, Kendricks.
Guys who are considered to be playmakers that need to show up more often: Harrison Smith, interior D-line, Cook (injury related), Barr (same).

Jefferson was un-guardable yesterday. Watching live not only was he open every time he was thrown to he was open most of the plays he wasn't thrown to also. They gave him seven targets. SEVEN! He'll play nice and say the right things to remain in the good graces of the team and the media but it won't be long before he pulls a Diggs. Seven targets. GTFOOH.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:07:50 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Spielman and his contracts, to Cousins in particular, and his inability to draft Offensive linemen, ever, or put in place coaching personnel, is FIRST, FIRST, FIRST!!!

Im sick of the GM approach that has resulted in mediocrity, for a decade, not to mention his tenure as VP of player personnel…

HE is the albatross, the common denominator, the root of all evil and disappointment.

Zimmer’s addiction is 70’s Tudor electric, era football, Run First, safe play calling, and a QB with no guts but impressive statistical production.

This is a fun site...

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

Vikings run on 2nd and long more often than just about anybody. Makes my head hurt. It's not winning football IMO.
Post #: 279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:11:12 AM   
David F.

Zimmer finally benched Breeland and put Dantzler in for him after Breeland blew a coverage on the Browns first drive. Good move by Zimmer. ONLY IT WAS FOUR GAMES TOO LATE!!!! I don't know if Zim gets his rocks off by putting players in the doghouse or what his mental malfunction is but this was a simple move that needed to be done.

And on the subject of Zimmer, his teams' performance in the final two minutes of halves is beyond dogshit. The pattern has been repeated for years now with different personnel and different assistant coaches and different QBs. The sample size is adequate. It's Zimmer.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:12:52 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

This is a fun site...

Vikings run on 2nd and long more often than just about anybody. Makes my head hurt. It's not winning football IMO.

We are our own worst enemy!
Post #: 281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:13:55 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Jefferson was un-guardable yesterday. Watching live not only was he open every time he was thrown to he was open most of the plays he wasn't thrown to also. They gave him seven targets. SEVEN! He'll play nice and say the right things to remain in the good graces of the team and the media but it won't be long before he pulls a Diggs. Seven targets. GTFOOH.

He will be begging to leave if this continues!
Post #: 282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:17:56 AM   
David F.

Baker Mayfield was the lowest rated offensive player on the Browns team yesterday by PFF. The dude stunk up the place. He missed so many wide open receivers yesterday. The score could have been 28-7 really easy. If I would have told you at 11AM that Mayfield was going to lay a complete egg on the field what would you think our chances of winning the game would be? I'd have put it at about 95% myself.

Post #: 283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:25:52 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Zimmer finally benched Breeland and put Dantzler in for him after Breeland blew a coverage on the Browns first drive. Good move by Zimmer. ONLY IT WAS FOUR GAMES TOO LATE!!!! I don't know if Zim gets his rocks off by putting players in the doghouse or what his mental malfunction is but this was a simple move that needed to be done.

And on the subject of Zimmer, his teams' performance in the final two minutes of halves is beyond dogshit. The pattern has been repeated for years now with different personnel and different assistant coaches and different QBs. The sample size is adequate. It's Zimmer.

I bet Breeland starts against Detroit...

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
Mike Zimmer said cornerback Bashaud Breeland left the game because of an illness; "he was sick." But Breeland didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third and 10 for Cleveland. Zimmer didn't offer evaluation of Cameron Dantzler.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings CB Bashaud Breeland, who is questionable to return, has an illness. He missed practice Thursday with an illness before returning Friday.
Post #: 284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:37:58 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Mike Zimmer said cornerback Bashaud Breeland left the game because of an illness; "he was sick." But Breeland didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third and 10 for Cleveland. Zimmer didn't offer evaluation of Cameron Dantzler.

#Vikings CB Bashaud Breeland, who is questionable to return, has an illness. He missed practice Thursday with an illness before returning Friday.

I wonder if Dantzler turned on the fireplace at TCO or did he try to put TV on one of the 100+ screens at TCO? Did he play some rap music too loud? Why does Zimmer not like him?

Post #: 285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:39:40 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

This is a fun site...

Situational run success rank is 28/32..

Go figure..

Fire Spielman and Zimmer, ASAP. or Yesterday…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:44:50 AM   
David F.

Thielen/Osborn/Conklin got 21 targets for 10 catches/90yards/0TDs. Jefferson got 7 targets for 6 catches/84yards/1TD. Don't get me wrong I love Theilen, Osborn, and Conklin. They're damn good players. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF PETE EXPLOIT THE MATCHUP THAT'S WORKING!!! All game long we watched from the stands and kept musing out loud "why aren't they going to Jefferson more? He's un guardable today."

Post #: 287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 10:59:59 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

That's appropriate. He's been making the fans sick all year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:18:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Passes defended (PD) after 4 games:

0 Breeland
0 Peterson
2 Dantzler
2 Richardson
Post #: 289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:20:04 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

IMO firing a coach in the middle of the season is pointless. Way too many moving parts and they are not going to rattle off 6 or 6 wins in a row to make the playoffs.

I just hope the owners are researching new GM's and vetting their philosophy of football.

It would be one thing if they had a replacement available to them. The best candidates won't be available until after the playoffs.

Firing Zimmer and elevating Andre Patterson for 10 or 11 games would allow the team to give the guy a good look. Who knows, Patterson could be the next Bill Belichick. Unlikely, but at least it would take the guesswork out of it. The players all seem to love and respect the guy as well. Giving him an opportunity would be good for the franchise.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:22:58 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

Thielen/Osborn/Conklin got 21 targets for 10 catches/90yards/0TDs. Jefferson got 7 targets for 6 catches/84yards/1TD. Don't get me wrong I love Theilen, Osborn, and Conklin. They're damn good players. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF PETE EXPLOIT THE MATCHUP THAT'S WORKING!!! All game long we watched from the stands and kept musing out loud "why aren't they going to Jefferson more? He's un guardable today."

This is another reason why Zimmer is bad at being a head coach. Because he insists on calling the defense, he can't observe what's happening to the team as a whole. You better believe a good HC would tell their OC to keep going to the hot hand until the defense forces them to look elsewhere. Zimmer is too busy to even notice (or care) what's happening on the offensive side of the ball.

Post #: 291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:30:13 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

IMO firing a coach in the middle of the season is pointless. Way too many moving parts and they are not going to rattle off 6 or 6 wins in a row to make the playoffs.

I just hope the owners are researching new GM's and vetting their philosophy of football.

It would be one thing if they had a replacement available to them. The best candidates won't be available until after the playoffs.

Firing Zimmer and elevating Andre Patterson for 10 or 11 games would allow the team to give the guy a good look. Who knows, Patterson could be the next Bill Belichick. Unlikely, but at least it would take the guesswork out of it. The players all seem to love and respect the guy as well. Giving him an opportunity would be good for the franchise.

Its possible, but I really can't get excited about another 60-something defensive coach.

I also think we're in dire need of a fresh start/clean slate.
Post #: 292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:35:06 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ush

My $.02:

1. We paid a ton of money to fix the interior oline with Tomlinson/Pierce and then Richardson. How are we so bad agains the run? We have one of the best tackling LB’s in Kendricks. Is it scheme? Is it that Pierce and Tomlinson are just not good? I have a buddy who is a huge Giants fan and said the Tomlinson was great for them. Is he playing a different role here? Being asked to do different things? Are the safeties playing deep to help guard agains questionable play from the CB’s and can’t help in run support? So many questions about this run defense. Whatever it is.....it needs to change.

2. Coming into the season I don’t think anyone here was satisfied or comfortable with the oline. Those fears have been realized and, yup, they still stink. Darrisaw needs to play so we know what we have. Bradbury is just a bust. Teams trot out 3rd string guys that play better than Hill. I

3. A bad running play for teams against us is only gaining 2-3 yards. Our bad running plays are usually around a minus 6. We are losing in the trenches.

4. Jefferson and Theilen are your bread and butter on offense. Get them involved early and often.

5. I don’t lay the blame for yesterday on Cousins. He was under duress the whole game after the 1st drive. No QB plays great under constant pressure. That being said, the fundamental flaw with Cousins is that he will never be able to extend plays or get a 1st down with a scramble the way QB’s regularly do against us. It’s also probably the reason we don’t really move him around or roll him out very often. He’s just not a mobile guy. I’m not sure you can win in today’s NFL that way unless you are a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

7. If we lose next week we need to blow it all up. I don’t want to see us fight to get to .500 or a last playoff spot just to get blown out in the playoffs.

8. One other thing on Cousins. He has to know his contract is killing the team’s ability to add another couple of talented players around him. How much money is enough? Do you want to win or make as much money as possible? Because that $40M cap hit next year is just going to make things worse. He’s taken us for close to $100M so far. Why hamstring what the team can do at this point? You either want to win or it’s not as important as the money.

Cousins needs a great oline to reach his full potential as a QB, but because of his huge contract, the Vikings can't afford to put together a great oline. There is a ceiling on Cousin's talent, which is why the team's he leads are usually decent, but never great. The only solution is to get rid of Cousins and his contract, and use that money to build a great oline for the Viking's next QB, whoever that may be. Someone mentioned trading Kirk to the Browns next year. That would be a win/win. Cousins would make the Browns a legit contender, and the Vikings would be out from under Kirk's awful contract.

Post #: 293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:38:26 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its possible, but I really can't get excited about another 60-something defensive coach.

agreed, next coach needs to be young and offensive minded. Don't need the team rallying for a few meaningless wins just to have another aging defensive coach installed.
Post #: 294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:40:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

My $.02:

Cousins needs a great oline to reach his full potential as a QB, but because of his huge contract, the Vikings can't afford to put together a great oline. There is a ceiling on Cousin's talent, which is why the team's he leads are usually decent, but never great. The only solution is to get rid of Cousins and his contract, and use that money to build a great oline for the Viking's next QB, whoever that may be. Someone mentioned trading Kirk to the Browns next year. That would be a win/win. Cousins would make the Browns a legit contender, and the Vikings would be out from under Kirk's awful contract.

That statement is simply not true. The Vikings have so many bad contracts right now that easily could have gone for offensive linemen.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:50:20 AM   
Arlowe84

quote:

My $.02:

1. Agreed. Pierce had a nice 1st game, but been absent since. I think I ready both rank near the bottom of PFF DT ratings.
FA's tend to be more hype than anything. Teams know who their best players are and prioritize them. Look as Arizona without Peterson.

2. This will be the ulimate downfall of Spielman. Just could never get it right. I'd say last chance is Darrisaw and Davis come in and knock it out of the park, and turn it around, but they are young, so not likley. Davis is a stud, I"d even try him at C over Bradbury. Bradbury needs to sit ASAP. He's a massive detriment to this line.

4. Agreed, but only things that worries me is Thielen could get no separation yesterday vs man coverage.

6. Hunter is still a FA after this year....correct? Will be interesting to see if he wants to stick around, especially after extending an aging Smith over him.

7. I think if we lose next week, rumors start circulating in the media, Zimmer is on the hot seat.
Wasn't it reported that he had to make the playoffs this year to keep his job?

< Message edited by Arlowe84 -- 10/4/2021 11:54:05 AM >
Post #: 296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:53:09 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Trade Cousins for Stephanski straight up.

Post #: 297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:56:07 AM   
Arlowe84

I don't think anyone would trade for Cousins.

What is he 34??? Unless he's Brady 2, he probably has 3 years until his arm starts to decline.
His poor mobility will only get worse, quickly

This isn't some 26 year old kid, who can be coached up.

Plus, you know you need an elite o line and good weapons for him to succeed.
Post #: 298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:57:01 AM   
David F.

quote:

1. Agreed. Pierce had a nice 1st game, but been absent since. I think I ready both rank near the bottom of PFF DT ratings.
FA's tend to be more hype than anything. Teams know who their best players are and prioritize them. Look as Stl without Peterson.

If I filter out anyone who has had less than 20% of snaps this season so far Tomlinson ranks #10 and Pierce ranks #36. They aren't the problem.

Post #: 299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 11:59:38 AM   
Arlowe84

quote:

quote:

FA's tend to be more hype than anything. Teams know who their best players are and prioritize them. Look as Stl without Peterson.

If I filter out anyone who has had less than 20% of snaps this season so far Tomlinson ranks #10 and Pierce ranks #36. They aren't the problem.

Do they break that out run vs pass? That's what someone posted, but they could have been blowing smoke

but considreing we have not held a team to under 100 yds rushing (not even close) and YPC is high, it would surprise me.
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode