Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 8:28:54 PM   
David F.

Are we going to talk about Taylor heinke at some point?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 9:00:23 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
Vikings are running thin at cornerback again. The NFL's transaction wire has Cameron Dantzler on the COVID-19 reserve list. He finally played yesterday in place of Bashaud Breeland, who left the game with an illness in the first quarter. If Dantzler, who has apparently tested positive, can't go for Week 5, the Vikings may have to roll with Breeland again, assuming he's over the illness he's been dealing with.

What a sh*tshow of a season...

If the Vikes are a losing team I can sometimes still enjoy watching an individual player develop...

Cam likely out.
Darrisaw with probably sits and watches Hill for unknown reasons.

Great... get to watch leaky lines.

The ol' longship is taking on water!

Dantzler says he’s fully vaxxed so just needs to show 2 neg tests in 24 hrs. Good chance he plays sunday

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 9:07:54 PM   
Mark Anderson

Slater looks really good.

Leatherwood not very good.

Storm Norton starting at RT for Chargers. For injured Baluga.
Post #: 328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/4/2021 9:08:40 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Are we going to talk about Taylor heinke at some point?

I talked about him a bit yesterday. I like his poise.
Post #: 329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 7:09:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Trying to look at the season objectively.

Any halfway decent QB has a field day carving up the secondary. Teams are trucking us in the running game, 28th with 4.8 ypc. Cook is already into his injury form. No need to talk about the mess at OL. Out of touch coaches. A GM who has maxed out the cap out of desperation.

Should this continue, it will be death by a 1000 cuts.

One thing with new regimes is they have a tendency to clean house as they look to put their stamp on the team. With KC taking up near a quarter of the cap, it's even more likely 2022 would be a throw-away year. And outside of JJ, Hunter, Kendricks, O'Neill, youngsters like Dantzler, Osborn, Conklin, and the rookies, there is a lot to throw away.
Post #: 330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 7:19:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Next year's current cap numbers:
Cousins 45
Smith 13.5
Theilen 17
Pierce 10.5
Tomlinson 7.5
Bradbury 4

That's $97.5 million.

Barr 5? 10? Already paid?
Post #: 331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 9:55:19 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Our cap is out of control, and it fall directly on Spielman.

He needs to go.

This team will never get over thee maybe win one playoff game hump, with that asshat in the GM role.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 10:09:18 AM   
David F.

22. Minnesota Vikings (1-3)
Previous ranking: 20

Biggest surprise: CB Bashaud Breeland

Why it's a surprise: Minnesota signed Breeland to shore up the secondary and put a player with experience and good coverage skills (ranked 18th by Pro Football Focus in 2020) opposite Patrick Peterson at outside corner. Through four games, Breeland's play has been a disaster. He has been targeted 23 times and allowed 20 receptions for 281 yards (14.1 yards per reception), has given up four touchdowns and is allowing a near-perfect passer rating (157.2). Against Cleveland, Breeland left the game after six plays with an "illness" and didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third-and-long for the Browns. -- Courtney Cronin

Post #: 333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 10:22:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Why it's a surprise: Minnesota signed Breeland to shore up the secondary and put a player with experience and good coverage skills (ranked 18th by Pro Football Focus in 2020) opposite Patrick Peterson at outside corner. Through four games, Breeland's play has been a disaster. He has been targeted 23 times and allowed 20 receptions for 281 yards (14.1 yards per reception), has given up four touchdowns and is allowing a near-perfect passer rating (157.2). Against Cleveland, Breeland left the game after six plays with an "illness" and didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third-and-long for the Browns. -- Courtney Cronin

Perhaps the league has figured out the Zimmer scheme and adjusted. Like I said before, it's hard to defend a modern day offense if you don't know how to run one.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 10:26:22 AM  1 votes
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Trying to look at the season objectively.

Any halfway decent QB has a field day carving up the secondary. Teams are trucking us in the running game, 28th with 4.8 ypc. Cook is already into his injury form. No need to talk about the mess at OL. Out of touch coaches. A GM who has maxed out the cap out of desperation.

Should this continue, it will be death by a 1000 cuts.

One thing with new regimes is they have a tendency to clean house as they look to put their stamp on the team. With KC taking up near a quarter of the cap, it's even more likely 2022 would be a throw-away year. And outside of JJ, Hunter, Kendricks, O'Neill, youngsters like Dantzler, Osborn, Conklin, and the rookies, there is a lot to throw away.

You can't have 20% of your cap tied up on one player unless that player is so essential to your team that you won't be successful without him. Mahomes and Rodgers might be worth it, but Cousins, who needs everything to be perfect around him in order to thrive, is not.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 10:31:04 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Perhaps the league has figured out the Zimmer scheme and adjusted. Like I said before, it's hard to defend a modern day offense if you don't know how to run one.

A big red flag went up when Xavier Rhodes looked like a shell of himself in Zimmer's defense then went on to look like an all pro with the Panthers. Now Breeland went from being a competent CB to a disaster with the Vikings. Something is not right....

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 10:33:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

A big red flag went up when Xavier Rhodes looked like a shell of himself in Zimmer's defense then went on to look like an all pro with the Panthers. Now Breeland went from being a competent CB to a disaster with the Vikings. Something is not right....

With every game, it looks more and more like the game has passed him by.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:06:29 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And he's still huddling up while the clock runs until the next hand-off.....
Post #: 338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:06:55 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A theory of mine is that because Zimmer had to wait so long to be a head coach there might have been lots of things he always dreamed about trying and now that he has his chance he's giving a lot of them a go even though he might have come up with the idea twenty years ago.

Post #: 339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:09:39 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This one is a killer because we see it so often. I know someone else said this so I don't mean to steal it but Zimmer plays the same way whether he's ahead by 10 or down by 10. Meanwhile I sit in the stands watching us take our time when we need to drive the field for a game-tying drive in the fourth quarter. I said it out loud - "Where's the urgency?". I say that a lot watching the Vikes.

Post #: 340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:19:42 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

'Closest defender' is the second worst possible CB description, right before 'tripped and curled up in a fetal position holding his knee'.

Closest defender = not within spitting distance, around the corner, and neighboring.

Even so, making as many excuses in the age of disinformation as I can, Breeland probably is not as bad as he's made out to be. Bad yes but horrible ... when the rest of the defense is not playing well? I'm so glad Danztler is stepping up from his preseason level of play. He's the future, not one-year rental Breeland. We still need Breeland to step up to 4th CB adequacy, if this defense is going to improve beyond voluntary minicamp mode.

This is the problem when you load up on one year tourists, foreigners, dissidents, and other displaced persons to quickly rebuild your defense. 6 new starters on one side of the ball! It sounds great on paper and allows the summer positivity gland of vikings fans (also known as an appendix) to start pumping hopefulness again ... but oftentimes the fit isn't good for us or them. At the very least, it can take awhile for FAs to integrate.
Post #: 341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:35:34 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A theory of mine is that because Zimmer had to wait so long to be a head coach there might have been lots of things he always dreamed about trying and now that he has his chance he's giving a lot of them a go even though he might have come up with the idea twenty years ago.

That's a good sound theory. I like it.

Are you aware that the dinosaurs got their asses kicked about 66 million years ago? You might want to factor that into your timeline.
Post #: 342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:36:23 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't Rhodes become an All Pro under Zimmer? Then gain weight and lose flexibility at the end.
Post #: 343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:36:56 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

IMO firing a coach in the middle of the season is pointless. Way too many moving parts and they are not going to rattle off 6 or 6 wins in a row to make the playoffs.

I just hope the owners are researching new GM's and vetting their philosophy of football.

It would be one thing if they had a replacement available to them. The best candidates won't be available until after the playoffs.

Firing Zimmer and elevating Andre Patterson for 10 or 11 games would allow the team to give the guy a good look. Who knows, Patterson could be the next Bill Belichick. Unlikely, but at least it would take the guesswork out of it. The players all seem to love and respect the guy as well. Giving him an opportunity would be good for the franchise.

Its possible, but I really can't get excited about another 60-something defensive coach.

I also think we're in dire need of a fresh start/clean slate.

Trade Cousins for Stephanski straight up.

< Message edited by Murph -- 10/5/2021 11:38:09 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:39:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This one is a killer because we see it so often. I know someone else said this so I don't mean to steal it but Zimmer plays the same way whether he's ahead by 10 or down by 10. Meanwhile I sit in the stands watching us take our time when we need to drive the field for a game-tying drive in the fourth quarter. I said it out loud - "Where's the urgency?". I say that a lot watching the Vikes.

Yeah. It is bad.

Cousins actually looks better when he is animated and pushing things faster. No emotion at all(after 1st drive) against Browns. Rip into Bradbury or Hill, they can take it.
Post #: 345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:40:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

IMO firing a coach in the middle of the season is pointless. Way too many moving parts and they are not going to rattle off 6 or 6 wins in a row to make the playoffs.

I just hope the owners are researching new GM's and vetting their philosophy of football.

It would be one thing if they had a replacement available to them. The best candidates won't be available until after the playoffs.

Firing Zimmer and elevating Andre Patterson for 10 or 11 games would allow the team to give the guy a good look. Who knows, Patterson could be the next Bill Belichick. Unlikely, but at least it would take the guesswork out of it. The players all seem to love and respect the guy as well. Giving him an opportunity would be good for the franchise.

Its possible, but I really can't get excited about another 60-something defensive coach.

Looked to me like Stephanski was running Zimmer's offense.

Post #: 346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:45:47 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i would sign off on trading him for picks - two early picks....

offer cousins to the browns and the 49rs - get a bidding war going...do it now....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:47:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

From the very beginning, there has been this weird up and down inconsistency.

He hasn't been able to sustain a quality team for more than one season.

2014-2015 looked like solid team building ... like the franchise was heading in a good direction. Since then, peaks and valleys.

Now its all bumps and bruises and bandaids. And instead of being decent one year and bad the next ... we are hoping for a winning streak of three or four games in a bad season.

Our ownership has not spared one expense ... financially they have been outstanding. But in terms of franchise vision ... its been no bueno.
Post #: 348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:49:49 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Next year's current cap numbers:
Cousins 45
Smith 13.5
Theilen 17
Pierce 10.5
Tomlinson 7.5
Bradbury 4

That's $97.5 million.

Barr 5? 10? Already paid?

and, we're already $8.5m over the cap....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:50:37 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't Rhodes become an All Pro under Zimmer? Then gain weight and lose flexibility at the end.

So Zimmer is only an elastic CB whisperer?
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode