Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 11:53:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

22. Minnesota Vikings (1-3)
Previous ranking: 20

Biggest surprise: CB Bashaud Breeland

Why it's a surprise: Minnesota signed Breeland to shore up the secondary and put a player with experience and good coverage skills (ranked 18th by Pro Football Focus in 2020) opposite Patrick Peterson at outside corner. Through four games, Breeland's play has been a disaster. He has been targeted 23 times and allowed 20 receptions for 281 yards (14.1 yards per reception), has given up four touchdowns and is allowing a near-perfect passer rating (157.2). Against Cleveland, Breeland left the game after six plays with an "illness" and didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third-and-long for the Browns. -- Courtney Cronin

Perhaps the league has figured out the Zimmer scheme and adjusted. Like I said before, it's hard to defend a modern day offense if you don't know how to run one.

A big red flag went up when Xavier Rhodes looked like a shell of himself in Zimmer's defense then went on to look like an all pro with the Panthers. Now Breeland went from being a competent CB to a disaster with the Vikings. Something is not right....

Didn't Rhodes become an All Pro under Zimmer? Then gain weight and lose flexibility at the end.

So Zimmer is only an elastic CB whisperer?

Rhodes was like Fred Sanford that last year in Minny. He lost weight and had a good year with the Colts.
Post #: 351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:01:53 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why it's a surprise: Minnesota signed Breeland to shore up the secondary and put a player with experience and good coverage skills (ranked 18th by Pro Football Focus in 2020) opposite Patrick Peterson at outside corner. Through four games, Breeland's play has been a disaster. He has been targeted 23 times and allowed 20 receptions for 281 yards (14.1 yards per reception), has given up four touchdowns and is allowing a near-perfect passer rating (157.2). Against Cleveland, Breeland left the game after six plays with an "illness" and didn't play again after being the closest defender on a 21-yard pass that converted a third-and-long for the Browns. -- Courtney Cronin

Perhaps the league has figured out the Zimmer scheme and adjusted. Like I said before, it's hard to defend a modern day offense if you don't know how to run one.

A big red flag went up when Xavier Rhodes looked like a shell of himself in Zimmer's defense then went on to look like an all pro with the Panthers. Now Breeland went from being a competent CB to a disaster with the Vikings. Something is not right....

Didn't Rhodes become an All Pro under Zimmer? Then gain weight and lose flexibility at the end.

Rhodes was like Fred Sanford that last year in Minny. He lost weight and had a good year with the Colts.

If we're going for old-time TV, Zimmer is like Archie Bunker (when he was pregnant with Gloria).
Post #: 352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:04:39 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

With every game, it looks more and more like the game has passed him by.

A theory of mine is that because Zimmer had to wait so long to be a head coach there might have been lots of things he always dreamed about trying and now that he has his chance he's giving a lot of them a go even though he might have come up with the idea twenty years ago.

It's year 8... I think his experimental days are long gone.

My theory is that he has schemes that worked at one point and is convinced that it's the players that are failing and not his precious schemes.
Post #: 353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:10:39 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If we're going for old-time TV, Zimmer is like Archie Bunker (when he was pregnant with Gloria).

Cousins: Ward Cleaver or Mike Brady

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 10/5/2021 12:12:43 PM >
Post #: 354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:19:44 PM   
ronhextall

Insane they backed themselves up into the spot where Cousins is going to get that kind of money.
Post #: 355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:34:39 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Insane they backed themselves up into the spot where Cousins is going to get that kind of money.

Maybe because the GM and coach figured it was their own best chance to keep their job. Same with re-upping Harrison Smith. Short termism. Not a good way to run a team. Some of that falls on the Wilfs.
Post #: 356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:40:03 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Maybe because the GM and coach figured it was their own best chance to keep their job. Same with re-upping Harrison Smith. Short termism. Not a good way to run a team. Some of that falls on the Wilfs.

Extending Harrison Smith was stupid. Nobody wins Super Bowls with Safties and he isn't what he once was anyways.

OL, DL, and Cornerbacks. That's how you build a team outside the obvious QB.
Post #: 357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 12:45:53 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Extending Harrison Smith was stupid. Nobody wins Super Bowls with Safties and he isn't what he once was anyways.

Very very stupid move.
Post #: 358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 1:42:22 PM   
David F.

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
13m
Fewest snaps played by rookies through 4 weeks:

Vikings 9
Seahawks 46
Rams 91
Titans 142
Bucs 144

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 1:59:21 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
13m
Fewest snaps played by rookies through 4 weeks:

Vikings 9
Seahawks 46
Rams 91
Titans 142
Bucs 144

George Costanza would have done better.
Post #: 360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 2:22:56 PM   
Arlowe84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very very stupid move.

Right, it's almost like they panicked and paid him for past production.
So he was going to walk? I think we could have recovered from that.
Would rather the money to the offensive and defensive lines, you know, where football is actually won.
From the early returns, they both look like they need more upgrades longer term.
Post #: 361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 2:26:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very very stupid move.

Would rather the money to the offensive and defensive lines, you know, where football is actually won.
From the early returns, they both look like they need more upgrades longer term.

Still baffled by that move. Still baffled that they kept Barr for another injury plagued year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 2:46:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very very stupid move.

Had we drafted Winfield Jr instead of a woman beater we could have let Smith walk.

This regime is marred in mistakes. It was time to turn the page 2 off seasons ago. paton and Stepfanski would both been in their second season. Now the Wilf's have to go hire someone from the outs which they have proven to be terrible at.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 3:06:00 PM   
Todd M

When we lose to Detoit this weekend I'll (we'll) be served up the exact opposite of what I was feeling/seeing for this year.
Post #: 364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 3:10:25 PM   
Todd M

It's stupid. Mr non believer believing with the innocent heart of a child that if I did good, oned my battles, that surely one of the things I loved the most would be swept up in it all and shone as well.
Post #: 365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 5:53:15 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

It's stupid. Mr non believer believing with the innocent heart of a child that if I did good, oned my battles, that surely one of the things I loved the most would be swept up in it all and shone as well.

What you’re describing is called transactional belief and unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. You get the benefits of making good choices but you can’t will good things onto something or someone else.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 6:55:04 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

What you’re describing is called transactional belief and unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. You get the benefits of making good choices but you can’t will good things onto something or someone else.

And sometimes you don't even get the benefits of making good choices, in fact you may suffer from them, but they were still the right choices. And excruciatingly, given the chance, you should make the same choice again. We get to choose actions, not outcomes.
Post #: 367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 7:47:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure his post was mostly tongue in cheek.
Post #: 368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/5/2021 7:49:27 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

I just had a funny feeling that this season was gonna be awful. Looking at our games after Detroit it's going to be tough to win 7 games. It seemed like the message was getting stale from this regime. It's long past time to move on to something from this century.
Post #: 369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 2:29:32 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

This applies to me..

I make my choices on what I want.

You don’t get what you want.

You don’t get what you need.

You get what you are given, or are willing to take.

The question is:

Given, or take.

Edit shone? Or shown?

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/6/2021 2:31:03 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 2:39:57 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure his post was mostly tongue in cheek.

You have something in your cheek…

Tongue or not..

Only your lips could say for sure.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 7:36:32 AM   
Bill Jandro

At this point I think a lot boils down to the opener vs bengals. We had two new olineman starting and one playing a new position. The fact that they played very little together in PS really showed with all the false start and holding penalties.

Had they got more PT in PS perhaps the offense wouldn't have sputtered and we win that game. Then you have the AZ game where Zim wasted 44 seconds by not trying to get us closer for a shorter FG.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 7:55:09 AM   
Brad H

quote:

When we lose to Detoit this weekend I'll (we'll) be served up the exact opposite of what I was feeling/seeing for this year.

Detroit has little talent, but they have played hard all season. They just happen to have one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. If you can't beat them, you can't beat many.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 8:02:05 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Detroit has little talent, but they have played hard all season. They just happen to have one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. If you can't beat them, you can't beat many.

They don't need a good QB to beat us. All they need to do is run right at us and limit their turnovers and they will be in the game at the end.
Post #: 374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/6/2021 10:40:31 PM   
marty

So much doom and gloom.

" Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...."

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode