Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 8:57:24 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

We chased mediocrity pretty hard.

I think this team will have the juice for a fast start and ability to run with it.

I don't care if we overshoot out mark I need to see the W's stacked this year.

I agree with your earlier statement, that it might be hard for the packers to match our intensity.

Its definitely a fresh start for us … we’re trying to prove ourselves. They’re stepping onto the field again, after three years of being in the mix and falling short.

I’m trying hard to tamp down my expectations … but dam, can’t wait.
Post #: 6676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 9:02:13 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Truth is no one has a clue how that game is going to turn out. Are we all excited and see the possible potential for this team to be real good, yes. And ain't we all a little worried the yearly hype over the Packers may be true but we're hoping it's bs, like we always do?

This first game seems more like, I don't have a clue than most first games with GB to me

It really is up in the air.

I don't think anybody in their right mind that isn't a vikes fan expects this team to beat the packers. They have a track record, we don't.

Even so, its at home, rival games are hard to predict, and just the adrenaline of players finding themselves in a new upbeat environment could spring us over the top.

I believe we'll be up down the first half of the season trying to find our track but I'm hopeful we shoot out of the gate with a nosebleed.

The track record is last time we played them with Cousins we won. The track record is they don't have Bakhtiari or Adams. Anybody in their right mind believes the Vikings have a very good chance to win this game and probably will.

Packers under LaFleur are 13-4, 13-3, 13-3. Vikings under O'Connell 0-0.

I don't expect you to step back and try and look at this more broadly.

Your track record proves that you are incapable.

You acted like a person would have to be out of their mind to think the Vikings will win game one against the Pukers. We beat them half the time over the last several years and now their missing two of their most important players and playing on the road. We have a track record of beating the Puke. You can say O'Connell's track record is winning the most recent Super Bowl. I'm totally capable of looking at this very broadly and all you can see is the Puke have had a better record the last three years.

Not your opinion, not mine, not vikings fans.

The 5 or 6 opinions I read at nfl.com, espn and pff that project best teams in 2022, top SB contenders, power rankings, etc … meaningless off the wall crap … predict the packers will be either playoff or SB competitive; nobody I read predicted that for us.

They don’t know squat; it is based on a very basic superficial projection of their ‘established’ team with recent success, compared to our ‘new’ team lacking recent success.

I cant simplify my comment any more than that. Dont make too much of it.

I read all that and agree with it. So why would a person have to be not in his right mind to think the Vikings will win?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/4/2022 9:07:27 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 10:24:16 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Truth is no one has a clue how that game is going to turn out. Are we all excited and see the possible potential for this team to be real good, yes. And ain't we all a little worried the yearly hype over the Packers may be true but we're hoping it's bs, like we always do?

This first game seems more like, I don't have a clue than most first games with GB to me

I don't think anybody in their right mind that isn't a vikes fan expects this team to beat the packers. They have a track record, we don't.

Even so, its at home, rival games are hard to predict, and just the adrenaline of players finding themselves in a new upbeat environment could spring us over the top.

I believe we'll be up down the first half of the season trying to find our track but I'm hopeful we shoot out of the gate with a nosebleed.

The track record is last time we played them with Cousins we won. The track record is they don't have Bakhtiari or Adams. Anybody in their right mind believes the Vikings have a very good chance to win this game and probably will.

You acted like a person would have to be out of their mind to think the Vikings will win game one against the Pukers. We beat them half the time over the last several years and now their missing two of their most important players and playing on the road. We have a track record of beating the Puke. You can say O'Connell's track record is winning the most recent Super Bowl. I'm totally capable of looking at this very broadly and all you can see is the Puke have had a better record the last three years.

The 5 or 6 opinions I read at nfl.com, espn and pff that project best teams in 2022, top SB contenders, power rankings, etc … meaningless off the wall crap … predict the packers will be either playoff or SB competitive; nobody I read predicted that for us.

They don’t know squat; it is based on a very basic superficial projection of their ‘established’ team with recent success, compared to our ‘new’ team lacking recent success.

I read all that and agree with it. So why would a person have to be not in his right mind to think the Vikings will win?

Just this once…. step back and try not to be an obtuse fool.
Post #: 6678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 11:47:08 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Good luck with that..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 1:31:14 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Cousins is who I worry about. He has looked like a flatlining corpse first 2-4 games before he wakes up.
Not using stats to back this up (just my memory) but I believe we were like 1-5 last year and had to really dig just to get back to 500.

Can't afford a slow start.

This is a classic demonstration of memory decayed by bias. We lost the first two games, but Cousins was very good in both, with high productivity and clutch play. He was bad against Cleveland and was mediocre but clutch against the Lions, stellar against Seattle, and stellar and clutch against Carolina. We end the stretch 3-3.

Pretty good for a flatline corpse....

I'm not Kirk's biggest fan, but I'm with Ricky in terms of the insane bias against him for a variety of reasons. I can make a decent case that the Vikings would have been better of parting with him at various points, but not with the previous regime circling the drain for the last few years. He is what he is, and my hope is that KOC can max out what's good and minimize what's bad, just like I hope the same for the IOL, the secondary, etc.

The Vikings will have to thread the needle to win the division and/or advance in the playoffs, but IMO it's easy to see how it COULD happen and moreso easy to root for with the new era kicking off. It looks to me like Kwesi has a plan to compete for at least a playoff berth now (Wilfs' mandate, and seemingly the median projection) while being better positioned to move onward and upward in 2024/5, when things will reset with expiring deals, young players emerging (or not), and moves yet to be made playing out.

Nothing is clear at this point, good or bad. But clearer eyes may be helpful to understand what's going on, and that can start by being realistic about how we got here.
Post #: 6680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 1:32:34 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Cousins has a chance to be THE man this year. Immortalized as the one who finally got it done.

If he doesn't I expect Kwesi to ship it next year to land the #1 guy.

He'll pay the premium.

So win the Super Bowl or get the fukk out?

Wow.
Post #: 6681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 3:24:15 PM   
ratoppenheimer

the bottom line is; if we get the same cousins that showed up over the last four years - we're still phucked....

even with o'connell as our head coach/game manager, o'connell calling plays, the new system, better o-line, and the 4th best offensive playmakers - cousins needs to be a better quarterback than he's ever been before - better inside his head....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 3:48:05 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

the bottom line is; if we get the same cousins that showed up over the last four years - we're still phucked....

even with o'connell as our head coach/game manager, o'connell calling plays, the new system, better o-line, and the 4th best offensive playmakers - cousins needs to be a better quarterback than he's ever been before - better inside his head....

Agree that Kirk needs to be better to do anything meaningful, but the same Kirk from last year--very good with notable gaps--and normal everything else likely gets us in the playoffs. Normal everything else is not guaranteed, of course, nor is the same Kirk. Among others, I could see a scenario where Kirk struggles and then gets in his head for enough time that the season is lost. Conversely, if he can be just a little better in his head, as you point out, that could pay outsized dividends.
Post #: 6683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 5:55:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

if cousins could develop a 2.5 second clock in his head, and just throw the ball out of bounds if he doesn't have a target, he'd be improved...o'connell is trying to get cousins to throw the ball quicker - into tighter windows, that before would cost cousins precious time to find his next option....

every time i see brady throw the ball out of bounds, i think, brilliant - no sack, no fumble - live to see another manageable down....

Post #: 6684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 6:15:04 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

A week from now it will be the second half in week one, against GB no doubt. I hope we're up 38-7. To that note, after a several year hiatus I've wheeled out the Hope Bandwagon. It has a lot of new parts and driver(s) and it really is an unknown in key areas, so the moniker fits particularly well this year. Here's to the greatest season......... culminating in a Super Bowl victory!
Post #: 6685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 6:15:11 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Cousins has a chance to be THE man this year. Immortalized as the one who finally got it done.

He'll pay the premium.

Wow.

I don't see it as a wow thing. If the 22 draft was as potentially rich in resources as the 23 one might be Kwesi would have shipped it this year for a QB. He's itching to do it. He was able to be talked into Kirk this year bc of lack of options.

SB or bust for Cousins.

It's not like he has to do it all himself dragging the team on his back.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 9/4/2022 6:16:41 PM >
Post #: 6686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 6:23:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

if cousins could develop a 2.5 second clock in his head, and just throw the ball out of bounds if he doesn't have a target, he'd be improved...o'connell is trying to get cousins to throw the ball quicker - into tighter windows, that before would cost cousins precious time to find his next option....

every time i see brady throw the ball out of bounds, i think, brilliant - no sack, no fumble - live to see another manageable down....

Wasn't KOC Cousins QB coach? With 10 years in the league, what realistic improvements are there? Decisiveness (which stems from confidence and attitude) and a quick arm. Leaving the Brady comparisons aside, seems Drew Bledsoe had one of the quickest releases ever. I doubt Cousins can improve on that, but he can improve on the decisiveness piece. I suppose the Cousins' supporters will go off on big, bad Zimmer being gone... which only reinforces the idea that Cousins is a fragile mental ecosystem.

But like it or not, he is our fragile mental ecosystem so let's hope for the best!
Post #: 6687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 6:30:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

He'll pay the premium.

Wow.

I don't see it as a wow thing. If the 22 draft was as potentially rich in resources as the 23 one might be Kwesi would have shipped it this year for a QB. He's itching to do it. He was able to be talked into Kirk this year bc of lack of options.

SB or bust for Cousins.

It's not like he has to do it all himself dragging the team on his back.

I think Kwesi, for all his 'zero dark Lebron mode' talk, is a pragmatist. Although IDK, it's a battle between W/L record and a chance to go big. IF a drafted QB pans out early, the team has a great advantage WRT to the cap. Big IF though.
Post #: 6688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 7:24:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom insult me all you want. I'm neither obtuse or a fool. The only thing I can come up with is that you're saying I shouldn't take what you said literally? Is that it?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/4/2022 7:31:45 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 7:27:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

We get the same Cousins as the last 4 years plus Hunter and Zed and we are going far in the playoffs.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/4/2022 9:14:45 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

A career .500 QB has zero ability to “carry a team to wins”.

A career .500 QB who had Shanahan, McVey, Gruden, and KOC as his coaches, in one form or another, will not suddenly flash greatness of his own doing.

A Career .500 QB is going to need Above average play from top tier receivers and a running game to win the opener.

A career .500 QB put a lot of pressure on the defense to protect leads and prevent the opposing team from scoring.

For this team to go deep in the post season, we have to win the division.

Winning opening day and winning after the bye week @ Arizona, is going to be key.

A first round bye would be nice, but getting into the playoff without major injury issues will help.

I have guarded hopes.

But I also do not see any 1998 or 2000, or even 2009 magic waiting in the wings.

Not with a career .500 QB “ carrying “ my dreams.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 12:09:54 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom insult me all you want. I'm neither obtuse or a fool. The only thing I can come up with is that you're saying I shouldn't take what you said literally? Is that it?

I turned a phrase … you called me on it … I gave an explanation … end of story.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/5/2022 6:53:35 AM >
Post #: 6692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 3:33:31 AM   
ratoppenheimer

o'connell needs to keep his foot on the accelerator throughout the entire game...not go into prevent defense and burn the clock running game in the 3rd quarter....

let's rock'n roll every phucking play....

Post #: 6693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 6:38:16 AM   
BisonFan

Game week! Nice to hear Harry Douglas on ESPN talking positive about the Vikings. Let's see what the Vikings bring out of the gates this year. SKOL Vikings!
Post #: 6694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 9:12:55 AM   
marty

Eli Manning was a regular season sub .500 career QB, but he carried 2 of his teams to Super Bowl victories.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 9:18:24 AM   
Ricky J

Ben Goessling

@BenGoessling
·
2h
Kevin O’Connell says 20 #Vikings players received votes for team captain. The four offensive captains for this year are Cousins, O’Neill, Thielen and Cook. Defensive captains are Peterson, Harrison Smith and Kendricks. C.J. Ham is a special teams captain.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/5/2022 2:30:12 PM >
Post #: 6696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 10:11:31 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I turned a phrase … you called me on it … I gave an explanation … end of story.

Cool. Sorry if I pushed you on it too much.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 10:56:49 AM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

A career .500 QB who had Shanahan, McVey, Gruden, and KOC as his coaches, in one form or another, will not suddenly flash greatness of his own doing.

A Career .500 QB is going to need Above average play from top tier receivers and a running game to win the opener.

A career .500 QB put a lot of pressure on the defense to protect leads and prevent the opposing team from scoring.

Winning opening day and winning after the bye week @ Arizona, is going to be key.

A first round bye would be nice, but getting into the playoff without major injury issues will help.

I have guarded hopes.

But I also do not see any 1998 or 2000, or even 2009 magic waiting in the wings.

How about a career .445 QB?
Post #: 6698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 11:12:29 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I have guarded hopes.

How about a career .445 QB?

Which one would that be?
Post #: 6699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/5/2022 11:38:11 AM   
marty

Eli or Kirk ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6700
Page:   <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  266 267 [268] 269 270   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode