Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/21/2021 8:43:24 PM   
marty

Do you think Sam Bradford, or Kellen Mond would equal Kirk's success right now ?

Would the Packers have had the same result at KC with Rodgers playing instead of Love, just 1 TD ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/21/2021 9:08:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

That is great praise for JJ.

But I still believe a passing game is 80% QB, 20% WR, so kudos to Captain Kirk.

I was actually impressed with Kubrick today. Especially lining JJ up at RB. After what GB did to the last three teams u better give some to coaching

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/21/2021 10:41:57 PM   
beo

A couple of notes (conflicting I guess):

1) On most of the big pass plays Kirk nailed today... and there were a bunch... he had what I could consider significant pressure.
Either hit has he threw, had to move off his spot or had to get rid of the ball early.
And most of these he was really impressive on... maybe the best game under pressure I've seen him play.

2) How much different would the tone be if Savage holds on to that INT.
I JUST CAN'T TRUST KIRK!?!
He is so exasperating for me... he has the ability to do amazing things but I'm always thinking he is going to find a way to lose.
Maybe just my problem... but my gut just sank when I saw that ball sail and Savage right there.
Glad we aren't the only ones who miss opportunities.
(Breeland pissed me off with his celebration after missing an INT right in his hands... that would be have huge)

Fun game regardless.
Post #: 1303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 5:24:03 AM   
Burns

Mason Cole was getting his rear-end handed to him. Garrett Bradbury looks like a bust. Wyatt Davis took some center snaps in training camp, but that's a long way from doing it on the field in a game.

Not looking good right now at the center position. A big weakness on the o-line.

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 1304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 9:08:21 AM   
ronhextall

Beat the 49ers and that gives the Vikings another tiebreaker in the Vikings favor for the 3rd Wild Card.

Maybe the last two weeks were like the Bears game with Favre. I always got the feeling Favre told Chilly to STFU at halftime and took over.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 11/22/2021 9:09:49 AM >
Post #: 1305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 9:27:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Beat the 49ers and that gives the Vikings another tiebreaker in the Vikings favor for the 3rd Wild Card.

Maybe the last two weeks were like the Bears game with Favre. I always got the feeling Favre told Chilly to STFU at halftime and took over.

Doubt if Cousins has the moxy to do that. Maybe the WRs started it and Cousins jumped on the bandwagon.
Post #: 1306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 9:54:06 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Doubt if Cousins has the moxy to do that. Maybe the WRs started it and Cousins jumped on the bandwagon.

Something has definitely changed. I saw plenty of instances yesterday where Kirk had two open receivers in the same line of sight and went for the deep one every time. It's nice to see him step outside of his comfort zone.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 9:57:48 AM   
ronhextall

Not saying Kirk took control maybe it was the Wilfs saying “you are all gone if you don’t let it hang the rest of the way”.

Feels like they now accept the fact the defense stinks and they have to out score everybody.
Post #: 1308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 10:00:17 AM   
David F.

This is how you beat a good team in the NFL. 20 of 34 targets to the two best WRs on the team.

Minnesota Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
Justin Jefferson 8 169 21.1 2 56 10
Adam Thielen 8 82 10.3 1 26 10
Tyler Conklin 3 35 11.7 0 15 3
Dalvin Cook 3 29 9.7 0 19 4
K.J. Osborn 1 19 19.0 0 19 4
Dede Westbrook 1 7 7.0 0 7 2
Alexander Mattison 0 0 0.0 0 0 1
TEAM 24 341 14.2 3 56 34

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 10:01:43 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Yes. Even Zimmer got after it.

There was the stretch before the Chargers game with the embarrassing number of WR targets.

Then after the Chargers game:

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Nov 14
#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he told Kirk Cousins during the week [before the Chargers game] that they needed to throw the ball more down the field.

When Mike Zimmer is pushing you to open it up, you aren't exactly pushing the envelope of the sport.
Post #: 1310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 10:29:11 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

Something has definitely changed. I saw plenty of instances yesterday where Kirk had two open receivers in the same line of sight and went for the deep one every time. It's nice to see him step outside of his comfort zone.

I do agree. What stood out to me before the Chargers game was WRs running open down field and the over-commitment to the run. Last two games, not only has the play design changed a bit but he has taken a few more 'dirty' (WRs covered) shots down the field ...

even a couple chicken & waffle throws while in the grasp. Keenum-style.

But ... he's got a looong way to go to overcome his prewired starchiness.
Post #: 1311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 10:36:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

Even with the skill dudes blowing it up and Cousins in a groove ... it still feels like a borderline wild card team.

League mediocrity will have something to say about that.
Post #: 1312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 10:40:05 AM   
David F.

Holy smokes it Xavier Woods lay an egg yesterday. And yet, it was his poor coverage on MVS, allowing that long TD (the last one the Pack scored) that actually set us up for the win.

Post #: 1313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 11:19:11 AM   
marty

A commentator on NFL network radio, this morning called the Packers the best team in the NFL, the Vikes just beat them, what does that make the Vikings ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 11:30:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Holy smokes it Xavier Woods lay an egg yesterday. And yet, it was his poor coverage on MVS, allowing that long TD (the last one the Pack scored) that actually set us up for the win.

In defense of Woods on that play.

The Vikings Blitzed. The Packers picked it up. they never expected Woods to be able to keep pace with MVS. They just figured they would either Get to Rodgers or make him rush the throw. When neither happened, they were doomed (it is the risk you take when blitzing, especially a future HOFer like Rodgers).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 11:55:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

All in all, after the XP miss I thought the packers would win with a walk-off FG.
Post #: 1316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 12:33:56 PM  1 votes
Steve Lentz

JJ is an absolute stud and we do much better when he is targeted frequently.
The last two games we targeted him 21 times. The two previous losses saw him targeted 9 times.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 2:48:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

I was in a battle with my brother over who looked slower yesterday....Harry was a step slow the first half and Woods was horrible on a couple late plays. I don't see a reason why Bynum and Vigil who played so well the week before weren't in more.

Post #: 1318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:01:48 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Even with the skill dudes blowing it up and Cousins in a groove ... it still feels like a borderline wild card team.

It comes down to the fact that our Defense sucks. The 'guru' was figured out a long time ago. All the Cousins trash talk it warranted at some point but you can't deny he's not our problem this year.
Post #: 1319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:06:52 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

It comes down to the fact that our Defense sucks. The 'guru' was figured out a long time ago. All the Cousins trash talk it warranted at some point but you can't deny he's not our problem this year.

The worst of it is...the blown top picks at CB. Where we should have been able to use mid stock investments we've used, and wasted, top pics. Totally unacceptable.
Post #: 1320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:06:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

One other thing I noticed yesterday. Why is #93 available? That damn thing should be hanging in the rafters
Post #: 1321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:27:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

In defense of Woods on that play.

The Vikings Blitzed. The Packers picked it up. they never expected Woods to be able to keep pace with MVS. They just figured they would either Get to Rodgers or make him rush the throw. When neither happened, they were doomed (it is the risk you take when blitzing, especially a future HOFer like Rodgers).

It goes beyond that play. Woods was late in coverage all game.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:54:55 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

One other thing I noticed yesterday. Why is #93 available? That damn thing should be hanging in the rafters

We don't retire numbers, do we? Smith Jr. is wearing #84. Mettulus is wearing#44.
Post #: 1323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 3:54:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't necessarily agree. Peterson made a big difference 1st half and then had a hammy issue. Breeland played well and they went after Dantzler and Alexander.

Also when you look at Gladney and Hughes I think the talent is/was there but injuries and assaults are hard to see.

Post #: 1324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/22/2021 6:00:07 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't necessarily agree. Peterson made a big difference 1st half and then had a hammy issue. Breeland played well and they went after Dantzler and Alexander.

Also when you look at Gladney and Hughes I think the talent is/was there but injuries and assaults are hard to see.

It is true the defense played better first half, 'holding' GB to a FG,TD. That's because our toothless DL was making an impact. The defense has all kinds of problems not just the DBs.

Peterson is just okay at this point. Breeland Dantzler and Alexander ... are at best very very inconsistent. Not sure why Woods has regressed from first couple of games but he has dramatically. Harry is in worse geriatric shape than Peterson.

Kendricks (even though yesterday wasn't his best game) and Griffith are the only two defenders right now playing above average football, game in and game out.

Gladney and Hughes have nothing to do with anything ... every team has players with issues / injuries / draft misfires on their current roster ... you are trying to interject ancient non-vikings into our current talent equation.

The defense is simply not up to the task right now.
Post #: 1325
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode