Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2021 4:59:15 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

What about the Patriots defensive coordinator as the Vikings next HC ? Not even sure who it is, is it Covington ?

The Patriots have many times gotten some great defense from December onward, maybe this guy is learning a few things from Belichick ?

Check out the list of Pats def coordinators that have left to become head coaches.
Not a glowing list.

Most recent is Patricia I think... it's usually a trainwreck.
Post #: 1776
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2021 7:05:11 PM   
Todd M

Gonna be a wild month to finish the season. In both conferences.

I think we can regain a spot as soon as next week. Tough to see us holding it though.
Post #: 1777
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2021 7:11:37 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Go Bengals!

For those of us not smart enough to give up on this dumb team.

Right with you Todd. We never learn.

Yep, what else we got going for us ...
Post #: 1778
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:48:38 AM   
ratoppenheimer

vikings have a 32% chance of making the playoffs - our main competition is Washington and Philidelphia....

Washington...34%
Philidelphia....28%

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1779
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 6:24:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I don't even want to see Cousins paired with a good HC, would rather see what Mond, or a 1st round pick next year do.

Let some other unsuspecting team take Cousins next year. Maybe Denver, LA Rams, Indy, or Carolina wants to see what he can do for them.

30th ranked Defense and Cousins has the 30th ranked blocking protecting him....you think a rookie would be better than 6-7 right now?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1780
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 6:31:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Andy Reed has been a coach since 1999. Never won a damned thing until he got Patrick Mahomes. He won one NFC title in 2004.

Coaching does matter, but getting difference-makers is the key to winning the big prize.

Is Andy Reed a good coach? Absolutely. He's got a proven track record and he's a risk-taker, which I consider a great quality.

Many may not consider Bill Belichick a risk-taker because of his style of play. I would completely disagree. When you play Troy Brown at corner, you are the ultimate risk-taker. He cemented his place as the greatest coach of all time, IMO, when he did that. A genius move by a guy that thinks outside the box.

Best move in the Monday Night game...going for two after they scored their first touchdown. It completely changed the mindset of the game. Instead of being up one score, it was like they were almost up two. IMO, it completely f*cked with the Bills' minds from that point forward. The guy is a complete witch, and can afford to be because his teams are completely prepared.

I don't know if making it to 4 straight NFC Championships is a bad thing.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1781
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 7:29:38 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I don't even want to see Cousins paired with a good HC, would rather see what Mond, or a 1st round pick next year do.

Let some other unsuspecting team take Cousins next year. Maybe Denver, LA Rams, Indy, or Carolina wants to see what he can do for them.

30th ranked Defense and Cousins has the 30th ranked blocking protecting him....you think a rookie would be better than 6-7 right now?

Exactly.
Im not in on all this Cousins has to go ... talk. That's like giving up on next year all ready. The bias is on overload
Post #: 1782
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 8:04:50 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

mond has a very very quick delivery, much better pocket presence, and obviously much better legs than cousins....

i'm going to make this prediction right now - within the next four years, mond will be a top 5 quarterback....

Post #: 1783
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 8:15:19 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

IMO; if zimmer walked out the door today, we'd make the playoffs at #7....

Post #: 1784
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 9:53:42 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

I knew we were terrible in both, but didn't know we were 30th ranked in both. Amazing our record isn't worse.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1785
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 10:20:07 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

I knew we were terrible in both, but didn't know we were 30th ranked in both. Amazing our record isn't worse.

Where did the 30th ranked defense and 30th ranked pass blocking rankings come from? I see us as 28th defense in yards, 25th defense in points per ESPN and 28th in pass blocking per PFF but also 16th overall best defense per PFF

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1786
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 11:09:21 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Exactly.
Im not in on all this Cousins has to go ... talk. That's like giving up on next year all ready. The bias is on overload

Yes the negative bias is on overload ... and yes it is an extra short leash for Cousins, given how well he plays at times.

Goes with the frustration.

However, expecting a bigger impact on winning games from Cousins (after 10 seasons) is also bias. That expectation is a failure to recognize the negative impact that Cousins himself contributes to the bottom line in every loss over his 10 seasons. It is often buried under some gaudy stats so I get why it is overlooked. But ten years ...

'If only he had a better OL or defense or HC or OC' ... there is always a counterpoint for Cousins criticism ... 'a missed field goal or fumble or defense that folds down the stretch' ... yes, but after four yrs with us and 6 yrs with WSH, everybody and their mother has had plenty of time to gauge his strengths and weaknesses as a starting NFL QB.

'Gestalt' is 'an organized whole [winning percentage] that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts [individual stats]'. The stats just don't say it with Cousins ... unless you want them too. Which is a bias.
Post #: 1787
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 11:42:27 AM   
ronhextall

Going to assume at Green Bay is a loss.

Need to win the rest and I have no idea what a tiebreaker would look like with Philly and Washington.

I hope the Wilfs realize that the Vikings would likely be way better off with a different coach.
Post #: 1788
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 11:49:58 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Yes the negative bias is on overload ... and yes it is an extra short leash for Cousins, given how well he plays at times.

However, expecting a bigger impact on winning games from Cousins (after 10 seasons) is also bias. That expectation is a failure to recognize the negative impact that Cousins himself contributes to the bottom line in every loss over his 10 seasons. It is often buried under some gaudy stats so I get why it is overlooked. But ten years ...

'If only he had a better OL or defense or HC or OC' ... there is always a counterpoint for Cousins criticism ... 'a missed field goal or fumble or defense that folds down the stretch' ... yes, but after four yrs with us and 6 yrs with WSH, everybody and their mother has had plenty of time to gauge his strengths and weaknesses as a starting NFL QB.

'Gestalt' is 'an organized whole [winning percentage] that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts [individual stats]'. The stats just don't say it with Cousins ... unless you want them too. Which is a bias.

That's good stuff. I like it.
But who's going to give us a better chance next year?
Bias works both ways, I agree. But boy, negative bias is really hard to beat on a message board debate, ain't it?
Post #: 1789
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 11:54:37 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Bias works both ways, I agree. But boy, negative bias is really hard to beat on a message board debate, ain't it?

I agree on 'who?' for next year. Marcus Mariota is about all I come up with for current QB you might be able to get cheap and spend the rest on other players.

I would be more excited about bottoming out and drafting a qb if the Vikings picked higher and the draft and some quality QBs.
Post #: 1790
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 12:16:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Yet lost in all the bias overload is Cousins benefits from arguably the best WR duo in football and conservatively a top 5 RB.
Post #: 1791
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 12:49:48 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Yet lost in all the bias overload is Cousins benefits from arguably the best WR duo in football and conservatively a top 5 RB.

Yeah I really don't know where to stop or begin with analyzing Kirk Cousins. In 2018 and 2019 he had a great defense and we went 8-7-1 and 10-6. Now we have a poor defense yet we still had elite offensive weapons throughout and we're 6-7. Our special teams are better now. It just seems like our range for records is between just under .500 to just over .500. We could accomplish that with a lot less invested at QB.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1792
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 12:56:49 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

vikings have a 32% chance of making the playoffs - our main competition is Washington and Philidelphia....

Washington...34%
Philidelphia....28%

I'm convinced we need to win out for us to make it.

In order to do that.
We need to 1. Beat a good Rams team at home. Not undoable, we have beaten good teams this year. but our secondary against that recieving corps? Yikes.
2. beat Green Bay at Lambeau, which means beating the Packers for a second time in the same season (which we almost never do) playing against the refs who always favor Packerdom there. So unless the Packers somehow have homefield wrapped up by here and they rest Rodgers (highly unlikely) I don't see us winning against them again.
3 we need to beat the Bears twice. Now. the bears suck. but our first game against them will be in soldier field, on Monday night (nationally televised game). we don't do well in those. Also Zimmer has always seemed to choke hard playing the Bears. So even if we miraculously pull off the victory at Soldier field....we will have to beat them again 3 weeks later.

I would say that although it is possible, I would say it is highly unlikely we make the playoffs.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1793
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:06:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Yeah I really don't know where to stop or begin with analyzing Kirk Cousins. In 2018 and 2019 he had a great defense and we went 8-7-1 and 10-6. Now we have a poor defense yet we still had elite offensive weapons throughout and we're 6-7. Our special teams are better now. It just seems like our range for records is between just under .500 to just over .500. We could accomplish that with a lot less invested at QB.

Agreed. In the cap era, it's impossible to make a conclusion (good or bad) without seeing how much the cap the player's contract is chewing into.

$35M now is crazy for an older QB who hasn't done anything. $45M is absurd.
Post #: 1794
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:11:18 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

I agree. Would our W-L records be that much different if we had kept Keenum? Complete hindsight, for sure, but I'm not sure they would be.

I had no issue with over-paying Cousins initially just to take the chance ... now its time to move on based on his performance / what he gives you AND the 45M next year is outrageous, criminal.
Post #: 1795
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:16:44 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Yes, for those holding onto optimism / a chance for the playoffs ... its got to be tough.

All I can do is offer you the Gladiator ... 'For those who are about to die, I salute you"
Post #: 1796
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:22:34 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

I agree. Would our W-L records be that much different if we had kept Keenum? Complete hindsight, for sure, but I'm not sure they would be.

I had no issue with over-paying Cousins initially just to take the chance ... now its time to move on based on his performance / what he gives you AND the 45M next year is outrageous, criminal.

Me either. I was all for it. I was not, however, for the extension we gave him.

Post #: 1797
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:46:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

Me either. I was all for it. I was not, however, for the extension we gave him.

I looked the other way with regards to signs that he was mostly just a QB who could put up stats. It isn't often a pretty healthy QB who can wing the ball pops up in free agency. Since we didn't have to give up anything for him (unlike, what, a 1st for Bradford) I was ok with the initial contract. Like you both, the extension was the foolish thing. We knew what he was by then.
Post #: 1798
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 1:52:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

This year Cousins' cap hit is on par with Mahommes, Dak, and Josh Allen... combined! But for those that want to crown 'em, then crown his ass
Post #: 1799
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2021 2:00:13 PM   
David F.

quote:

This year Cousins' cap hit is on par with Mahommes, Dak, and Josh Allen... combined! But for those that want to crown 'em, then crown his ass

The standard comeback to that is that it's not Kirk's fault they offered him that money and any one of us would have taken it. That may be true but I'd also never throw the ball out the beck of the endzone on fourth down.

Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode