Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 11:59:50 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

The Ravens are a half game out of home field advantage in the AFC. They are on their fifth running back and their quarterback has missed multiple games, with Hollywood Brown as his top receiver.

Jackson has missed one game. And the Ravens won it anyways.

Glad you pointed that out. They beat the Bears 16-13 because their kicker made three field goals.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1726
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:01:20 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

Honestly, I'm not sure Baltimore would do it.

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

HE IS NOT WORTH A FIRST ROUND PICK.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

Lots of kickers would have given this team those 3 wins this year.

It's easy in a vacuum to say trade a first for Tucker.

I pose this back to you... do you trade Jefferson for Tucker... cause that is what you COULD be trading away.

And that's why I don't make this trade.

Daniel Carlson would have gotten us those 3 extra wins... we had him on the team... without trading a first.
A "3 win" kicker can be obtained without paying a first... and that is how you build a champion... managing resources effectively.

If Tucker was 10 years younger; I'd be willing to a late #1 for him.

I'd at least see what the asking price is.

I hope we will be trading away a few player next off season, we may have a lot of decent picks to play with.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1727
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:02:20 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Ravens are a half game out of home field advantage in the AFC. They are on their fifth running back and their quarterback has missed multiple games, with Hollywood Brown as his top receiver.

Glad you pointed that out. They beat the Bears 16-13 because their kicker made three field goals.

Another BAD team they barely beat.

Ravens aren't all that great despite the record.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1728
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:51:50 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posed the question last night and I pose it again. Should/could we trade our #1 pick for Justin Tucker?

the KICKER?

**** NO

If you are patient with the young kicker you can draft one with a 6-7th round pick.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on one. So why would i give one up in trade for one? and yes the Ravens would do it. A First round pick for a Kicker? They'd do it in a heartbeat.

The guy is a cold-blooded assassin. We'd have three more wins right now with Tucker. Name me another guy in the league (not playing quarterback) that wins you three games.

Greg Joseph has missed extra points in each of the past three games. Justin Tucker has missed four in his entire 10-year career.

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Again, I pose the question. Name me a few guys (not playing quarterback) that win you three games a year?

I pose this back to you... do you trade Jefferson for Tucker... cause that is what you COULD be trading away.

Daniel Carlson would have gotten us those 3 extra wins... we had him on the team... without trading a first.
A "3 win" kicker can be obtained without paying a first... and that is how you build a champion... managing resources effectively.

Fist off, I disagree with your premise. Jefferson was a great pick, but was by no means a guarantee at the time. We also drafted Laquan Treadwell, Cordarrelle Patterson, Percy Harvin and Troy Williamson with first round picks. Would I take Tucker over Jefferson? No. But I'd take him over any of the other ones.

Daniel Carlson has had one good season. Tucker has had 10. The only other kicker I'd give a first for would be Harrison Butker, but I would likely offer a second. Butker is intriguing. He's only 26, while Tucker is 32.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 12:53:21 PM >

Post #: 1729
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:54:20 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, but their intangibles give them a great record every season. They've had less than eight wins one time since 2008 while qualifying for the playoffs nine times.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 12:59:01 PM >

Post #: 1730
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:55:37 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

If Tucker was 10 years younger; I'd be willing to a late #1 for him.

I'd at least see what the asking price is.

I hope we will be trading away a few player next off season, we may have a lot of decent picks to play with.

Now that's a good take. I just mentioned in the above post his age. Butker at 26 is also intriguing, and is on a similar trajectory.

Post #: 1731
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 12:58:26 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, but their intangibles give them a great record every season.

IOW COACHING!!!!!

Justin Tucker helps. but Good coaching, drafting and developing players has made them a perennial contender.

They do the little things well....

Not because of Justin Tucker.

Because of how the organization is run and how it is coached.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1732
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:00:25 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree, but their intangibles give them a great record every season.

IOW COACHING!!!!!

Justin Tucker helps. but Good coaching, drafting and developing players has made them a perennial contender.

They do the little things well....

Not because of Justin Tucker.

Because of how the organization is run and how it is coached.

Great players often times make great coaches. Bill Belichick is the rare exception.

Would you trade a first for Bill Belichick? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 1:01:47 PM >

Post #: 1733
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:01:51 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
13h
Oops.
Quote Tweet
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
· 14h
The #Raiders are signing kicker Daniel Carlson to a four-year, $18.4 million extension that includes a $4M signing bonus and $10.2M guaranteed, per source. He’s now the NFL’s third-highest paid kicker. Money bagMoney bag
Mostly Snark

@BoutitDontwry
·
13h
If it makes Vikings fans feel better they would have had to let him leave because of the money anyway

I would rather have Carlson but his and Joseph's stats are pretty close.

Carlson has made 50 for 55 total kicks.

Joseph has made 48 for 55 total kicks.

When I look them up I see Joseph is 41 of 48 for his career and Carlson is 96 of 112. Both are about the same percentage still though. 85.7% for Carlson and 85.4% for Joseph. Carlson is 88% since leaving MN so there's that I guess.

I think Joseph can be the guy for the new regime.

He needs to just clean up his PATs.

Joesph: 89%, Carlson: 96%.

You just can't miss over 10% of your extra points.

Especially not indoors, where I think many of his misses have occurred.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1734
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:08:21 PM   
ratoppenheimer

courtney was sent here by ESPN...she is, and never has been, a vikings fan...but the zimmer shit is getting to her...it's eating her up...each game is just too phucking intense...is it supposed to be this way?...it's just football, man...she needs a break - i hope she's going home for xmas...spend some time with her family...this ride is just too much for normal people....

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
I walked into US Bank Stadium with my central nervous system telling me "not today, Satan. This game will not have you scrambling on deadline trying to decipher this another coherent mess."

Yet here we are.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1735
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:09:15 PM   
Brad H

Andy Reed has been a coach since 1999. Never won a damned thing until he got Patrick Mahomes. He won one NFC title in 2004.

Coaching does matter, but getting difference-makers is the key to winning the big prize.

Is Andy Reed a good coach? Absolutely. He's got a proven track record and he's a risk-taker, which I consider a great quality.

Many may not consider Bill Belichick a risk-taker because of his style of play. I would completely disagree. When you play Troy Brown at corner, you are the ultimate risk-taker. He cemented his place as the greatest coach of all time, IMO, when he did that. A genius move by a guy that thinks outside the box.

Best move in the Monday Night game...going for two after they scored their first touchdown. It completely changed the mindset of the game. Instead of being up one score, it was like they were almost up two. IMO, it completely f*cked with the Bills' minds from that point forward. The guy is a complete witch, and can afford to be because his teams are completely prepared.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 1:27:00 PM >

Post #: 1736
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:20:39 PM   
odin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

I hate to see Cook rushed back from injury (again). At best he'll likely be ineffective and at worst he's risking a career ending injury. RB is not a position where someone can successfully avoid contact and falling on the injured area. How many times does someone have to reaggravate an injury before Zimmer learns? So dumb and short-sighted.

Guessing you got this all wrong.

Thanks for letting me know.

The rest apparently helped his ankle; he hasn't looked that fast for a long time. He was heroic to play and did great. I still think he should have been told to sit. He had 110 yds before contact last night, so it wasn't like he took his usual beating.
Post #: 1737
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:24:51 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Fist off, I disagree with your premise. Jefferson was a great pick, but was by no means a guarantee at the time. We also drafted Laquan Treadwell, Cordarrelle Patterson, Percy Harvin and Troy Williamson with first round picks. Would I take Tucker over Jefferson? No. But I'd take him over any of the other ones.

Daniel Carlson has had one good season. Tucker has had 10. The only other kicker I'd give a first for would be Harrison Butker, but I would likely offer a second. Butker is intriguing. He's only 26, while Tucker is 32.

The 1st part of the premise was that a 1st round pick has Jefferson potential... that is fact.

The 2nd part of the premise is you can get those "3 wins" in the context of this year by not mismanaging your kicking situation... without the expense of a 1st rounder.

Bad drafting doesn't make me want to use a 1st rounder trading for a kicker... it makes me want to replace those in charge of drafting.

Trading a first for a kicker just masks bigger problems... that you can't do what 1/2 the teams in the league have done... get solid kicking with minimal investment.

You think Belichek trades a 1st for Tucker... umm... no.

(interesting discussion btw)

< Message edited by beo -- 12/10/2021 1:27:22 PM >
Post #: 1738
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:33:41 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

The 1st part of the premise was that a 1st round pick has Jefferson potential... that is fact.

The 2nd part of the premise is you can get those "3 wins" in the context of this year by not mismanaging your kicking situation... without the expense of a 1st rounder.

Bad drafting doesn't make me want to use a 1st rounder trading for a kicker... it makes me want to replace those in charge of drafting.

Trading a first for a kicker just masks bigger problems... that you can't do what 1/2 the teams in the league have done... get solid kicking with minimal investment.

I'm not as sure as you that it was bad drafting. A lot of other teams have missed on first round wide receivers over the years. The hit rate isn't as high as you would think. Conversely, Justin Tucker is as close to a guarantee as it gets when it comes to kickers. At $5-million a year, not only is it a bargain for a first round pick but it gives you potential cap space down the road.

A proven commodity at $5-million will always rank higher than a prospective talent, in my book. There's almost no risk involved whatsoever. The only risk involved is the criticism you'd take when making the move. When he buries a 56-yarder to win a big game, it all goes away.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 1:39:56 PM >

Post #: 1739
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:41:11 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Well said. Anyone could have had Butker for nothing. The Vikings haven't been able to properly evaluate kicking talent for years.
Post #: 1740
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 1:45:34 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the KICKER?

**** NO

It's as simple as this.

HE IS A KICKER.

Well said. Anyone could have had Butker for nothing. The Vikings haven't been able to properly evaluate kicking talent for years.

Key words there; "COULD HAVE". You couldn't have him for nothing now. Why? Because there is a shortage of difference-makers at kicker.

Precisely my point.

Post #: 1741
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 2:18:18 PM   
Brad H

One more caveat on those that think Justin Jefferson is worth a first round pick but Justin Tucker isn't. We are 13-16 since we drafted him.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/10/2021 2:21:21 PM >

Post #: 1742
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 2:55:27 PM   
beo

quote:

** trim trim **

I'm not as sure as you that it was bad drafting. A lot of other teams have missed on first round wide receivers over the years. The hit rate isn't as high as you would think. Conversely, Justin Tucker is as close to a guarantee as it gets when it comes to kickers. At $5-million a year, not only is it a bargain for a first round pick but it gives you potential cap space down the road.

A proven commodity at $5-million will always rank higher than a prospective talent, in my book. There's almost no risk involved whatsoever. The only risk involved is the criticism you'd take when making the move. When he buries a 56-yarder to win a big game, it all goes away.

You are making the mistake of assuming it's either
1) Justin Tucker
2) Terrible kicking

That is clearly not the case... MANY teams figure out the kicking game without spending a first... in fact, in the history of football it's sort of how all SuperBowl winners have done it.

Winning is about maxing out resources.

You can draft adequate kicking without spending a first... it's done all the time.

EDIT:
If you had everything else in place... I'd consider it. This team ain't that.
We might have 3 more wins if we had 1 legit corner.

< Message edited by beo -- 12/10/2021 3:02:15 PM >
Post #: 1743
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:02:50 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Jesus I just wasted a lot of time…

First rounder for a 32 year old kicker…

Puhlease….

I gotta go put up Christmas stuff..outside…

Have fun with this fantasy argument…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1744
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:09:51 PM   
Lars

I come in here to talk football, and you guys are talking about me....errr...I mean a ****ing kicker.

Zimmer is not a good head coach. Belechick is fantastic. Innovative and attention to detail. And he will take some risks. When you match that up with a field general who is the same, you get 6 rings.

I don't look at the game last night as an endorsement of Big Ben or Tomlin. We gave it back to them on a silver ****ing platter with our own ineptitude.

Clean house.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1745
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:32:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Ok. so It's clear

Brad H would blow a first round pick for a Kicker.

Trekgeekscott would NOT.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I wouldn't blow a first round pick. Buuut, not that there would be anything wrong with that.
Post #: 1746
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:40:42 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I’ve been on the inter webs…

Tomlinson is getting props for making the adjustments needed to shut down the Vikings in the third, taking advantage of cousins turnovers, and almost pulling off the tie.. after a horrible start…

The fact that their defense is a shell.. is taken as a case of some bad choices by management on players and injury….

Tomlinson is in little danger of losing his job..

Fn Rapelesburger is a fricken statute and thier center is unable to snap a ball on time or with any consistency..

We beat a bad team., just barely..

We have no business being in the playoff hunt.

Period.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1747
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:47:45 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I’ve been on the inter webs…

Tomlinson is getting props for making the adjustments needed to shut down the Vikings in the third, taking advantage of cousins turnovers, and almost pulling off the tie.. after a horrible start…

The fact that their defense is a shell.. is taken as a case of some bad choices by management on players and injury….

Tomlinson is in little danger of losing his job..

Fn Rapelesburger is a fricken statute and thier center is unable to snap a ball on time or with any consistency..

We beat a bad team., just barely..

We have no business being in the playoff hunt.

Period.

The best part about the whole thing last night was that we choked a 29 point lead! No halftime adjustments, except for the patented Ol' Stall defense. And Kirk turning into Bad Kirk. The coaching staff has to go soon.
Post #: 1748
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 3:58:28 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

We had four sacks and held Pittsburgh to 66 total yards in the first half…

W T F happened to that defensive strategy..

Did Tomlinson “adjust” better?

Obviously…

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1749
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/10/2021 4:46:55 PM   
David Levine

Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin.

Ex Vikings DC, Mike Tomlin.

Michael Pettaway Tomlin.
Post #: 1750
Page:   <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode