Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 11:19:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF Pederson gets the Vikings a SB win, I won't care if they let him go 2 years later.

You could say that about any coach.

Pederson alienated his own players on his way out the door.

Brad Childress got us to the NFCCG and we would have won it if not for 1. 5 turnovers, 2. 12 men in the huddle, 3. Bountygate

I don't want him back.

Pederson's departure from Philly is beyond troublesome. I want none of that guy.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 2201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 11:50:44 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF Pederson gets the Vikings a SB win, I won't care if they let him go 2 years later.

You could say that about any coach.

Pederson alienated his own players on his way out the door.

Brad Childress got us to the NFCCG and we would have won it if not for 1. 5 turnovers, 2. 12 men in the huddle, 3. Bountygate

I don't want him back.

Pederson's departure from Philly is beyond troublesome. I want none of that guy.

Admittedly, I have no personal insight into his firing at Philadelphia, but from what I've read, it was more an issue with upper management, including the owner's hands on approach.

https://sportsnaut.com/philadelphia-eagles-rumors-doug-pederson-drama/
Post #: 2202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 12:56:04 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: HL OSWALD

As it sinks in the season is over... Its time to see Kellen Mond play the Pack and Bears with all the starters and get some tape on the kid in real game time play.

Kirk Cousins was brought in as the final piece to get us over top... NO WAY IN HELL he should be around going forward, he has set us back far enough with his cap hell and lackluster leadership. GOODBYE!

Basically unless you can trade him you are going to have to make it one more year.....

He is due 35M(base salary).

With a 3 or 4 year extension, another team could easily get his cap number down in the low 20s.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.

it's $35m salary...we can pay $10m of that and bring the new teams number down to $25m - that would still save us a lot of cap space... trade cook to a contender that needs a rb...maybe redo a couple of existing deals...i'd keep everyone else for another season....

we should be able to get a couple of picks in the first two rounds for cousins/cook....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 12:57:28 PM   
Murph

Here's an article covering GM candidates for next season.

I believe you hire your GM first and let him hire the HC. Let the coach and GM decide on the QB.

I really like both the guys from Indy and the one from KC

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-gm-candidates-watch-nflwk-15-2021-2022/

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 2204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:05:46 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

I believe you hire your GM first and let him hire the HC. Let the coach and GM decide on the QB.

None of this means anything until the Wilfs rub their three remaining brain cells together and fire the current regime.

I seriously do not know what they are waiting for.

Other than not wanting to leave the last two games in the hands of some assistant coach like Kubiak or Zimmer Jr.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 2205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:19:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

None of this means anything until the Wilfs rub their three remaining brain cells together and fire the current regime.

Other than not wanting to leave the last two games in the hands of some assistant coach like Kubiak or Zimmer Jr.

There is no real point in doing it right now.

Offseason will be exactly the same if they fire them today or right after the final game.

The downside to firing them now is we're so Jekyll and Hyde that the team could finish strong with a lame duck Interim coach and we end up hiring him full time...
Post #: 2206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:25:46 PM   
Dave Odle

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Cousins doesn't seem to be our biggest problem this season. You could do way worse than his 30 TD 7 INT 3,971 YDs stat line. It's certainly not that I think he is dynamic by any stretch of the imagination; and yes, we are definitely overpaying him as a franchise QB difference maker that is clutch during crunch time. He has been durable, however, and not missed much time due to injury. All you have to do is look around the league to see what happens when you don't have a competent QB to lead; the Saints, Lions, Bears, Jets, Giants, and Texans (and Falcons if you're being honest) are good examples.

This Vikings squad is truly frustrating. We have lost so many close games and that is the real problem. Cousins has managed to keep us competitive, but he just doesn't have that extra gear that kicks in when you need it. His stat lines over the past four to five years are pretty much the same. He doesn't kill your chances,. I just don't know if he's the kind of guy who is dynamic enough to follow as a teammate and be all in. Because of that, I understand the demand for a QB that might not compile as many yards and TD's, but will when win it matters most. His pocket presence has always been my concern. He doesn't have enough mobility to really matter and opposing defenses know that they typically don't have to account for improvised scrambling. I do admire his honesty about not being vaccinated for the season from the very beginning. It at least shows more integrity in taking media criticism than a turd like Aaron Rodgers. All that being said, I want us to move on from Cousins. The cap hit is too big for us to trade or cut him, so I would recommend taking our medicine for one more year and then parting ways.

I like the idea of easing Mond in at the end of this season, as well as next year. Then sign a cheap veteran who might not have stats like Cousins, but is somewhat comparable and a hell of a lot less expensive. Last, it's time to move on from Zimmer. It's simply a failed venture. Much like Cousins, he keeps you just competitive enough to have hope, but can't finish and slams the door on those same hopes. Offer Zim the defensive coordinator position (knowing he probably won't accept the humiliation of a demotion) and then call it a day. As for the next HC, who the heck knows? I'm okay w/ keeping Spielman around. You could do better, but you could also do a heck of a lot worse.

Ending the strange nepotism of this coaching staff would be a step in the right direction. There's too big of a chance that promotions aren't deserved; (see Adam Zimmer, Klint Kubiak, Scott Turner, etc.). Personally, I like the idea of making a run at Cowboys OC Kellen Moore as HC and then finding a veteran DC who can gel like the Cowboys have.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 2207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:27:14 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

There is no real point in doing it right now.

Offseason will be exactly the same if they fire them today or right after the final game.

The downside to firing them now is we're so Jekyll and Hyde that the team could finish strong with a lame duck Interim coach and we end up hiring him full time...

Yep, I'd be shocked if they didn't wait until the end of the season but I'm starting to get excited about our future. We have some really nice pieces in place. Just need to trim some fat and either renegotiate or get rid of overpaid players.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 2208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:51:04 PM   
HL OSWALD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe6kl9AU2Lw

Jefferson on team - SKOL North
Post #: 2209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:51:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Cousins doesn't seem to be our biggest problem this season. You could do way worse than his 30 TD 7 INT 3,971 YDs stat line. It's certainly not that I think he is dynamic by any stretch of the imagination; and yes, we are definitely overpaying him as a franchise QB difference maker that is clutch during crunch time. He has been durable, however, and not missed much time due to injury. All you have to do is look around the league to see what happens when you don't have a competent QB to lead; the Saints, Lions, Bears, Jets, Giants, and Texans (and Falcons if you're being honest) are good examples.

This Vikings squad is truly frustrating. We have lost so many close games and that is the real problem. Cousins has managed to keep us competitive, but he just doesn't have that extra gear that kicks in when you need it. His stat lines over the past four to five years are pretty much the same. He doesn't kill your chances,. I just don't know if he's the kind of guy who is dynamic enough to follow as a teammate and be all in. Because of that, I understand the demand for a QB that might not compile as many yards and TD's, but will when win it matters most. His pocket presence has always been my concern. He doesn't have enough mobility to really matter and opposing defenses know that they typically don't have to account for improvised scrambling. I do admire his honesty about not being vaccinated for the season from the very beginning. It at least shows more integrity in taking media criticism than a turd like Aaron Rodgers. All that being said, I want us to move on from Cousins. The cap hit is too big for us to trade or cut him, so I would recommend taking our medicine for one more year and then parting ways.

I like the idea of easing Mond in at the end of this season, as well as next year. Then sign a cheap veteran who might not have stats like Cousins, but is somewhat comparable and a hell of a lot less expensive. Last, it's time to move on from Zimmer. It's simply a failed venture. Much like Cousins, he keeps you just competitive enough to have hope, but can't finish and slams the door on those same hopes. Offer Zim the defensive coordinator position (knowing he probably won't accept the humiliation of a demotion) and then call it a day. As for the next HC, who the heck knows? I'm okay w/ keeping Spielman around. You could do better, but you could also do a heck of a lot worse.

Ending the strange nepotism of this coaching staff would be a step in the right direction. There's too big of a chance that promotions aren't deserved; (see Adam Zimmer, Klint Kubiak, Scott Turner, etc.). Personally, I like the idea of making a run at Cowboys OC Kellen Moore as HC and then finding a veteran DC who can gel like the Cowboys have.

Cousins and Zim are a match made in heaven.

Cousins will do exactly what is asked of him and never deviate the plan or call. And Zim can't stand any kind of freelancing. I truly believe he'd rather lose being 100% in control than win with players "going cowboy".

If you want to always finish around .500, they're your men.
Post #: 2210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:57:09 PM   
HL OSWALD

quote:

quote:

Cousins will do exactly what is asked of him and never deviate the plan or call. And Zim can't stand any kind of freelancing. I truly believe he'd rather lose being 100% in control than win with players "going cowboy".

Zimm is an absolute control freak and Kirk is a mindless follower and yes man... They are perfect match for one another but neither can put a team on their shoulders, inspire a team to get behind them and win, Neither are true leaders,,,

Do agree we need a longer look at Kellen Moore and what he has done with Dallas as an OC.
Post #: 2211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 1:57:16 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

As it sinks in the season is over... Its time to see Kellen Mond play the Pack and Bears with all the starters and get some tape on the kid in real game time play.

Kirk Cousins was brought in as the final piece to get us over top... NO WAY IN HELL he should be around going forward, he has set us back far enough with his cap hell and lackluster leadership. GOODBYE!

Basically unless you can trade him you are going to have to make it one more year.....

With a 3 or 4 year extension, another team could easily get his cap number down in the low 20s.

it's $35m salary...we can pay $10m of that and bring the new teams number down to $25m - that would still save us a lot of cap space... trade cook to a contender that needs a rb...maybe redo a couple of existing deals...i'd keep everyone else for another season....

we should be able to get a couple of picks in the first two rounds for cousins/cook....

I read a rumor that the guys in Pittsburgh are interested in Cousins. They are done with ben and don't think mason can be a reliable starter over the long term. That would be a positive move for us, IF it's not just internet talk.
Post #: 2212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 2:01:29 PM  2 votes
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimm is an absolute control freak and Kirk is a mindless follower and yes man... They are perfect match for one another but neither can put a team on their shoulders, inspire a team to get behind them and win, Neither are true leaders,,,

Do agree we need a longer look at Kellen Moore and what he has done with Dallas as an OC.

Hence: "If you want to always finish around .500, they're your men."
Post #: 2213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 2:04:57 PM   
David Levine

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Former #Vikings cornerback Bashaud Breeland has improved his Pro Football Focus ranking by not playing. When he was released by the #Vikings on Dec. 18, he was ranked No. 117 among all NFL cornerbacks. After being out two games, he is now No. 112.
Post #: 2214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 3:31:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

It isn't time to blow up the team...it is time to change coaches though.

I would keep Spielman....just look at the mid to late round talent playing at RB and WR. If it was up to me I would go after Jim Caldwell, Doug Pederson, or Bienemy.

Who hired Zimmer? Who extended Kirk in competition with no one? Who extended Barr, Rudy, Smith with high guarantees at the tail end of their careers? Who overpays the wrong positions (RB, S, LB) while having the worst IOL in the league?

Spielman isn't horrible, but he's not that good either. Every team finds guys. How many get nothing out of the first round for years in a row, ending only when JJ falls into his lap?

Spielman has to go with the rest. The Wilfs need to break from their middling start of ownership by adapting to the way the league is now, not continuing with 1950s Era football.

Zimmer guys were extended...Smith, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Rhodes...Rudolph, Thielen, and Cousins I would put on Spielman but look what 15 million gave back....Tomlinson, Vigil, Cole, Richardson, and Patrick Peterson...where would we have been this year w/o them?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/27/2021 3:33:59 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 4:24:05 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't their offense way underperforming before this last game?
Post #: 2216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 4:24:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would keep Spielman....just look at the mid to late round talent playing at RB and WR. If it was up to me I would go after Jim Caldwell, Doug Pederson, or Bienemy.

Who hired Zimmer? Who extended Kirk in competition with no one? Who extended Barr, Rudy, Smith with high guarantees at the tail end of their careers? Who overpays the wrong positions (RB, S, LB) while having the worst IOL in the league?

Spielman isn't horrible, but he's not that good either. Every team finds guys. How many get nothing out of the first round for years in a row, ending only when JJ falls into his lap?

Spielman has to go with the rest. The Wilfs need to break from their middling start of ownership by adapting to the way the league is now, not continuing with 1950s Era football.

Zimmer guys were extended...Smith, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Rhodes...Rudolph, Thielen, and Cousins I would put on Spielman but look what 15 million gave back....Tomlinson, Vigil, Cole, Richardson, and Patrick Peterson...where would we have been this year w/o them?

Outside of the playoffs, looking in?
Post #: 2217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 4:27:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't their offense way underperforming before this last game?

They're 1st in points and yards, so they couldn't have been underperforming that badly...

They scored 56 this week, but the previous 4 weeks were 21, 27, 27 and 33.
Post #: 2218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 5:34:17 PM   
ronhextall

Different coach and the same roster has at least 10 wins today. I don't blow it up because I have no desire to see Mond suck and than draft another raw QB the following year, at which point you can forget about JJ wanting to stick around.

Give a new offensive minded coach a chance with current roster, if it still sucks than I put everybody including JJ on the trading block in an attempt to move as high up in the draft as possible and truly start over.
Post #: 2219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 6:27:26 PM   
Ricky J

Vikeologist™ @Vikeologist
As a
@Vikings
fan, I’m tired! I’m tired of spending thousands of dollars every year on season tickets, only to watch the team underperform again. I’m tired of driving 6 hours round trip to every home game to watch the coaching staff never make adjustments…

--

I think I can relate to this person. I feel kind of beat down myself. I don't spend money on season tickets but I've put in quite a bit of energy supporting the Twins and Vikings over the years - like you all have ...

I was very hopeful this year - I suppose like most - but damn, I thought on paper we looked pretty good
Post #: 2220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2021 7:04:34 PM   
HL OSWALD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Vikeologist™ @Vikeologist
As a
@Vikings
fan, I’m tired! I’m tired of spending thousands of dollars every year on season tickets, only to watch the team underperform again. I’m tired of driving 6 hours round trip to every home game to watch the coaching staff never make adjustments…

--

I think I can relate to this person. I feel kind of beat down myself. I don't spend money on season tickets but I've put in quite a bit of energy supporting the Twins and Vikings over the years - like you all have ...

I was very hopeful this year - I suppose like most - but damn, I thought on paper we looked pretty good

Their record and the basic eye test says they left some play on the field, or straight up didnt show up in some games... Biggest line through all games of the season is the constant head scratching feeling that they were very late to or non existent in making in game adjustments. Hell you could go one step further and actually say it didnt feel like they even made individual game plans for given opponents.

The energy and effort has always been inexplicably flat in Zimmer coaching era in random games, but this year it was even more glaring... its like we went with the bargain basement staff and HC who just didnt care week to week for prep. Just keep churning out the same game plan, doing the same exact sleepwalking through games especially on offense.

Its exactly why we were always close but rarely felt like we were opposing our will or dominating an opponent because we figured them out or had their ticket. The few times we did it seemed we never schemed and adjusted to stick to what was working. It was always a feeling of our team coasting and at any time giving all momentum back to the opponent.

Thats fully on coaching and the ineptitude or inability to execute NFL caliber play calling and keep the team focused and executing plays that allowed the team to do more than just hang close in most games. It fully felt it was the final Zimmer stand, doing things his way with a mantra that he kept singing every presser. We just need to clean a few things up and execute better next game. He never fully lost the team but he did for large stretches lul his own playmakers asleep and suck the energy right out of the team while insisting one game plan playing our strengths and banging a round peg into a square hole over and over should get us results.

It didnt and he needs to be gone with his aged ideology. * all stated above is likely very obvious to us all here... Its just time for some new energy and leadership for this team starting with new eyes and minds in coaching...

< Message edited by HL OSWALD -- 12/27/2021 7:39:21 PM >
Post #: 2221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/28/2021 7:40:36 AM   
Bill Johanesen

49ers: Finally, punter Mitch Wishnowsky is being placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list, making him the first Niner to get that designation since August.

How the other half lives.
Post #: 2222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/28/2021 7:51:36 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Add in the last $10M installment of his signing bonus.
Post #: 2223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/28/2021 8:03:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Smith wasn't a Zimmer guy.
Rhodes wasn't a Zimmer guy.
Post #: 2224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/28/2021 8:11:34 AM   
bohumm

I don't think we could get much for Cook at this point. The size of his contract, his intra-year, every year decline in production, his health issues, and the relative value/ROI re: RBs must significantly reduce his trade value.

Cousins is a different story. I could definitely see a time with a good line and good receivers regarding him as a difference maker and, depending on their current QB, they might be right. He's just not ultimately an alpha. I could see him yielding a pretty decent pick.
Post #: 2225
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode