Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 11:27:02 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: SAMiller711r

How about Josh McDaniels? Think he's available. Worth kicking the tires at leat.

1. He's already failed once as a HC
2. He's from the Belichick tree...every other coach from that tree has failed miserably.

I Personally have no interest in McDaniels.

Belichick also failed once as a HC.
Post #: 51
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 11:28:14 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

First thing they need to do is hire a general manager. Then, the GM names a coach.

YES, the new GM should lead the search for a new head coach.
Personally, I would keep Spielman aa the GM. I think he has done well in the draft and in free agency. He did a great job in keeping the public informed. Good luck Rick.

I think we will miss the entertainment he provided.
Post #: 52
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 11:41:59 AM   
Murph

Ideally, we get a brilliant coach from the offensive side who is also a great leader but I do hope they prioritize leadership attributes over play calling ability and also look at candidates from defense and/or special teams. I would interview Flores for sure.

Leftwich, Hackett and Moore are some of the offensive coaches that look promising.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 53
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 1:50:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

How about Josh McDaniels? Think he's available. Worth kicking the tires at leat.

2. He's from the Belichick tree...every other coach from that tree has failed miserably.

I have a tough time counting Cleveland back then as a great org....I am amazed by what Miami and Cincy have done.....I would grab the Tobin family from Cincy or whomever is doing the personnel at Miami. They both rebuilt their defense fast.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 54
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 1:52:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

Sounds like Flores didn't get along with the Miami GM...

Post #: 55
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 2:08:23 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I heard PA this morning refuting the notion that the game has passed Zimmer by, by playing a clip of Aaron Rodgers breaking down the defensive A gap this or that whatever that Zimmer invented.

I say, yeah so what? Defensive X and Os are probably less than 20% of being a head coach. There’s also OFFENSIVE X and Os, special teams, games management, clock management, personnel management, preparation, staffing, and all the other other intangibles of tying all those things together.

I don’t care if a head coach invented anything. I need a head coach who can consider 5 things that other coaches have invented, then apply the correct one in the correct situation with the correct personnel, and oh, yeah bottom line win some games.
Post #: 56
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 2:13:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I heard PA this morning refuting the notion that the game has passed Zimmer by, by playing a clip of Aaron Rodgers breaking down the defensive A gap this or that whatever that Zimmer invented.

I say, yeah so what? Defensive X and Os are probably less than 20% of being a head coach. There’s also OFFENSIVE X and Os, special teams, games management, clock management, personnel management, preparation, staffing, and all the other other intangibles of tying all those things together.

I don’t care if a head coach invented anything. I need a head coach who can consider 5 things that other coaches have invented, then apply the correct one in the correct situation with the correct personnel, and oh, yeah bottom line win some games.

It hasn't passed him by...he is like the AAAA player that can't make it in the Majors. Very good Cordinator...at best above average coach in his good years. Beating the Packers once a year isn't the standard of 71 year old Wilf.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/10/2022 2:14:28 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 2:16:13 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

It hasn't passed him by...he is like the AAAA player that can't make it in the Majors. Very good Cordinator...at best above average coach in his good years. Beating the Packers once a year isn't the standard of 71 year old Wilf.

That’s what I’m getting at. The fact that he would still be a brilliant DC in todays game has little bearing on how good of a head coach he could be.
Post #: 58
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 2:20:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

I have a tough time counting Cleveland back then as a great org....I am amazed by what Miami and Cincy have done.....I would grab the Tobin family from Cincy or whomever is doing the personnel at Miami. They both rebuilt their defense fast.

Both defenses are middle of the road, at best. Not sure that is what I would aspire for after years of drafting top 10.
Post #: 59
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 5:41:08 PM   
Chris Olson

I agree with the GM picking the coach, but I have no idea who would be a good GM...
word is the asst GM in KC (Borgonzi) is supposed to be a guy people covet

As far as coaches go, I am on the Flores bandwagon after seeing what he did with that (1-7 I think) Dolphins team...
8-1 to close the season, swept the Pats, made do with mediocre QB...
he will have lots of suitors, I bet
Post #: 60
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/10/2022 5:45:57 PM   
Chris Olson

Not sure what to think of OC's like Leftwich, Bienemy, and Moore...

the first two with HOF QB's and a Cowboy offense that is loaded with skill players AND OL...

That said, everyone seems to think they are going to be HC's soon

Then you have to deal with the HC learning curve...

Which is another plus to Flores...he has worked through that learning curve part of being HC...
Post #: 61
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 6:38:54 AM   
fmaltes

I believe they made it clear that was what they were going to do which is a good start.
Post #: 62
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 6:39:54 AM   
fmaltes

I like Brian Flores as someone to consider for coach. Also, ownership made it clear that they will hire the GM first.
Post #: 63
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 8:11:31 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

I like Brian Flores as someone to consider for coach. Also, ownership made it clear that they will hire the GM first.

I think Flores is worth considering. I was pretty surprised when he was fired. Looked like he had things going in the right direction.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 64
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 8:53:27 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

Not sure what to think of OC's like Leftwich, Bienemy, and Moore...

the first two with HOF QB's and a Cowboy offense that is loaded with skill players AND OL...

That said, everyone seems to think they are going to be HC's soon

Then you have to deal with the HC learning curve...

Which is another plus to Flores...he has worked through that learning curve part of being HC...

Bienemy, he won't be bringing Andy Reid and Mahomes with him.

Leftwich, he won't be bringing Tom Brady with him.

The both might be excellent head coaches but my guess is Mahomes and Brady in Minnesota would have saved Zimmer's job.

so on the surface of doing more with less I lean towards Moore but I would be the first to admit I know very little.

I just hope the Wilfs have a GM in mind and move quickly so the pool of coaching candidates is as large as possible.
Post #: 65
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 9:09:31 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I think Flores is worth considering. I was pretty surprised when he was fired. Looked like he had things going in the right direction.

I read that he and the long time gm did not get along, and the ownership determined that one of them had to go. The old boy network thing. Just seeing his interactions with guys on the sidelines, Flores looks like he is a player's coach.
Post #: 66
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 9:10:52 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

I read that he and the long time gm did not get along, and the ownership determined that one of them had to go. The old boy network thing. Just seeing his interactions with guys on the sidelines, Flores looks like he is a player's coach.

Flores wanted to bring in Deshaun Watson. That was the beginning of the end.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 67
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 11:18:14 AM   
marty

Then get Flores and trade for Watson.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 68
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 11:54:29 AM   
twinsfan

Rumblings of Jeff Fisher as GM/coach.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 69
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:02:27 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Hopefully, those are just rumblings.
Post #: 70
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:02:41 PM  2 votes
David Levine

Worst. Bait. Ever.
Post #: 71
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:03:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Hopefully, those are just rumblings.

It's not even rumblings. It's Matt thinking he's funny.
Post #: 72
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:07:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Flores wanted to bring in Deshaun Watson. That was the beginning of the end.

He also pushed hard for Herbert over Tua and was overuled from what I've read. He would be a great choice IMO.
Post #: 73
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:36:01 PM   
Murph

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/1/11/22878333/doug-pederson-interview-vikings-broncos-minnesota-denver-head-coach-jaguars-bears-nfl-rumors-news

The Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos are set to interview former Philadelphia Eagles head coach and Super Bowl LII champion Doug Pederson for their vacancies, according to a report from NFL insider Jason La Canfora.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 74
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/11/2022 12:45:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Then get Flores and trade for Watson.

Great idea. Watson in leg shackles will still be a mobile QB by our standards.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode