Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/18/2022 5:18:34 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm sorry. I know it's irrational. I just don't want anyone with the stench of Green Bay as the Vikings head coach.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Just like I loved having Favre here that first year. If we could trade Cousins for Rodgers, I'd fly to Minnesota to pick him up at the airport.

Plus it would be great if Hackett brought us a Super Bowl, and Matt LaFleur didn't do the same for the Packers. We'd finally have our Tomlin/Dungy moment.

Nope, me either.

I don't want GB to have that kind of power over me
Post #: 176
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/18/2022 5:36:02 PM   
marty

May shock to you, but I feel the same way.

I used to pine for Packer players, but it's been quite a while. I now feel that an ex-Packer taints things.

There have to be plenty of possibilities, that aren't current Packers.

However, taking Hackett, could have a domino effect of giving Rodgers another reason to leave, and accelerating that process.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 177
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/19/2022 7:31:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

There is something that just seems Hackett is the one of the key cogs that held things together while Rogers was lying about his vaccination and the whole ARog summer fiasco.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 178
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/19/2022 9:15:51 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry. I know it's irrational. I just don't want anyone with the stench of Green Bay as the Vikings head coach.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Just like I loved having Favre here that first year. If we could trade Cousins for Rodgers, I'd fly to Minnesota to pick him up at the airport.

Plus it would be great if Hackett brought us a Super Bowl, and Matt LaFleur didn't do the same for the Packers. We'd finally have our Tomlin/Dungy moment.

Nope, me either.

I agree. With the caveats we are hiring the strongest overall candidate in our opinion … without hurting or trying to copy a nemesis being large factors.

Hiring the OCs for Rogers, Brady and Mahomes are pretty dicey though … they better have other winning experience on their resume.
Post #: 179
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/19/2022 9:57:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

I agree. With the caveats we are hiring the strongest overall candidate in our opinion … without hurting or trying to copy a nemesis being large factors.

Hiring the OCs for Rogers, Brady and Mahomes are pretty dicey though … they better have other winning experience on their resume.

Like the OC in Washington, who made Taylor Heinecke look competent?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 180
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/19/2022 11:38:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

Hackett made Bortles decent, AFC Championship game. So there is that.

Post #: 181
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/19/2022 12:09:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

Hackett made Bortles decent, AFC Championship game. So there is that.

Making Bortles decent is much more convincing than anything Rogers related, for sure.
Post #: 182
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/20/2022 3:47:21 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
Vikings finished all eight interviews with their GM candidates, having just wrapped up their last one with Cleveland Browns vice president of player personnel Glenn Cook.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 183
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/20/2022 3:48:09 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
The Vikings finished up their fourth head coach interview with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon. They've already spoken with Nathaniel Hackett, Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 184
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/20/2022 4:58:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

Phil Mackey 🎙
@PhilMackey
·
4h
Replying to
@VikesCentral
I honestly think he has become my favorite candidate.

I know they haven't interviewed all of these guys, but...

1.) Raheem Morris
2.) Nathaniel Hackett
3.) Doug Pederson
4.) Byron Leftwich

Post #: 185
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/20/2022 5:05:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

Raheem Morris

Hofstra (1998)
Graduate assistant
Cornell (1999)
Defensive backs coach
Hofstra (2000–2001)
Defensive backs coach
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2005)
Defensive quality control (2002)
Defensive assistant (2003)
Assistant defensive backs coach (2004–2005)
Kansas State (2006)
Defensive coordinator
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2007–2011)
Defensive backs coach (2007–2008)
Head coach (2009–2011)
Washington Redskins (2012–2014)
Defensive backs coach
Atlanta Falcons (2015–2020)
Assistant head coach (2015–2019)
Pass game coordinator (2015–2019)
Wide receivers coach (2016–2019)
Defensive coordinator (2020)
Interim head coach (2020)
Los Angeles Rams (2021–present)
Defensive coordinator

Won 10 games with TB with 10 rookies and Josh Freeman at QB.

Post #: 186
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 9:55:01 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Raheem Morris

Hofstra (1998)
Graduate assistant
Cornell (1999)
Defensive backs coach
Hofstra (2000–2001)
Defensive backs coach
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2005)
Defensive quality control (2002)
Defensive assistant (2003)
Assistant defensive backs coach (2004–2005)
Kansas State (2006)
Defensive coordinator
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2007–2011)
Defensive backs coach (2007–2008)
Head coach (2009–2011)
Washington Redskins (2012–2014)
Defensive backs coach
Atlanta Falcons (2015–2020)
Assistant head coach (2015–2019)
Pass game coordinator (2015–2019)
Wide receivers coach (2016–2019)
Defensive coordinator (2020)
Interim head coach (2020)
Los Angeles Rams (2021–present)
Defensive coordinator

Won 10 games with TB with 10 rookies and Josh Freeman at QB.

Sandwiched by really sucky seasons.

No thanks. please avoid retreads

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 187
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 10:16:23 AM   
ronhextall

No team in NFL looking for coach/GM has announced anything yet, very odd.
Post #: 188
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 10:19:16 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

No team in NFL looking for coach/GM has announced anything yet, very odd.

There really is no rush.

and I am sure many of the candidates are from teams still in the playoffs...so...many teams want to wait....

Post #: 189
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 11:59:53 AM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

Power over you? What power? If anything it's powewr over them. Players wanting to ditch Green Bay and come to Minnesota. Nothing could be finer if they have something left. Heck Favre fought to get here and had to put up with a year with the Jets to do so. That's pure gold.
If you must think of it as getting rid of the stench then.

The fact that you are bothered by getting a good player to defect from GB is the power over you. Hell my 2nd favorite season ever was with Favre and rubbing it in packers noses that he wanted to get away from them.

Why would you let that bother you one darn bit? People say that but how silly. By saying that you basically in your words giving them power not by accepting the player to come to Minnesota. Most likely they were drafted there and had no choice in the matter. I really doesn't matter anyway but if it does to you I would say you are looking at it backwards.
Post #: 190
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 12:05:36 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

Power over you? What power? If anything it's powewr over them. Players wanting to ditch Green Bay and come to Minnesota. Nothing could be finer if they have something left. Heck Favre fought to get here and had to put up with a year with the Jets to do so. That's pure gold.

The fact that you are bothered by getting a good player to defect from GB is the power over you. Hell my 2nd favorite season ever was with Favre and rubbing it in packers noses that he wanted to get away from them.

Why would you let that bother you one darn bit? How silly. By saying that you basically in your words, giving them power, not by accepting the player that comes to Minnesota. your showing you are actually bothered by that. Most likely they were drafted there and had no choice in the matter. I really doesn't matter anyway but if it does to you I would say you are looking at it backwards.
Post #: 191
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 12:12:08 PM   
Ricky J

I find myself hoping Morris gets the job ...
Post #: 192
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 12:15:12 PM   
ronhextall

scratch one possibility...

The New York Giants have hired Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen as their new general manager.

no idea if the Vikings even were interested.
Post #: 193
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 12:16:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

Why would you let that bother you one darn bit? People say that but how silly. By saying that you basically in your words giving them power not by accepting the player to come to Minnesota. Most likely they were drafted there and had no choice in the matter. I really doesn't matter anyway but if it does to you I would say you are looking at it backwards.

I think you misunderstood his comment.

I believe he was agreeing with me - basically saying he would not want GB to have that kind of power over him.
Post #: 194
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 12:38:21 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, me either.

I think you misunderstood his comment.

I believe he was agreeing with me - basically saying he would not want GB to have that kind of power over him.

I was agreeing with you.

BF in MN was fun for me. I liked him.

And I wouldn't mind finding out whether or not I could like Rogers - actually, I've all ready accepted him and his differences (everybody's different, the older I get the easier it is for me to be ok with that ...)
Post #: 195
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 2:18:57 PM   
bohumm

quote:

I find myself hoping Morris gets the job ...

Me too, while acknowledging that I really have no idea.
Post #: 196
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 3:38:53 PM   
thebigo

So isn't Raheem Morris a defensive dude, meaning with successful offenses here to OC carousel would continue? Unless say Pat Shurmur is available, unlikely he's getting another look as HC.
Post #: 197
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 4:03:49 PM   
ronhextall

I don’t see a lot of positives from hiring a defensive coach.

If he buys a home run for the OC another team with just offer him an HC job and we will be Mike Tomlin’d again.
Post #: 198
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 4:23:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

So isn't Raheem Morris a defensive dude, meaning with successful offenses here to OC carousel would continue? Unless say Pat Shurmur is available, unlikely he's getting another look as HC.

Raheem Morris Isn't Just Another Defensive Coach

BECOMING AN OFFENSIVE COACH

Simply chatting with some offensive coordinators does not an offensive coach make. But when Dan Quinn hired Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta, they brought Morris along to coach the defensive backs and coordinate the coverages. A couple of years in, receivers coach Terry Robiskie was hired to coordinate the Tennessee Titans’ offense, leaving a vacancy. Morris ended up with that job, flipping from defense to offense.

Morris continually picked Robiskie’s brain but also applied his defensive knowledge. He taught receivers how to attack classic cornerback and safety techniques. Morris understood which coverages were weak to what and when a coach would call them. After all, he was the passing defense coordinator the previous year. He gave invaluable scouting reports to his offense.

This approach is proven and offers a refreshing contrast to Zimmer’s style of challenging the offense. Zimmer revealed the entire offensive practice plan to the defense on one occasion. The defense called its plays knowing the offense’ plan, leading to a terrible day on offense. Zimmer lit them up for their failure. As a head coach, Morris would equip his offense to succeed rather than challenge them not to fail.

Morris would eventually become the passing-game coordinator, rounding out his experience. In a pass-first league, Morris’ value comes from someone intimately familiar with passing offense and passing defense at the NFL level. There aren’t many with that much experience who aren’t already head coaches themselves.

----------

Morris is not just another defensive coach. The vast majority of defensive coaches don’t spend several years coordinating the offensive side of the ball. Defensive coordinators don’t spend their entire careers exposing themselves to offensive experience. If Zimmer’s fatal flaw was an over-emphasis of defense and ignorance of offense, you might be tempted to go find someone who over-emphasizes offense. But neglecting defense is just a different way to fall below .500 (just look at Sean Payton‘s mid-decade skid pre-Dennis Allen).

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/minnesota-vikings-news/raheem-morris-isnt-just-another-defensive-coach/
Post #: 199
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/21/2022 5:07:12 PM   
Viking Rich

Add me to the list of people who wouldn't mind bringing in Morris. The guy brings an element of excitement and enthusiasm with a vast amount of football knowledge.

Tired of these stuffy old guys with narrow vision with no new concepts and hard-headed - ready to throw everyone under the bus when things go wrong.

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode