Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 8:51:39 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

maybe the 'right' quarterback in there at #5, #7, or #9...or we trade future picks, too....

a better call might be to trade cousins and see what mond has as a starter - if he's weak, we might be drafting early and a trade up is easier, if he does well, we might night trade up at all....

This draft is exceptionally weak for QBs. Not a good year to draft a QBOTF.

So find a way to live with Cousins for one more year (no extensions), Trade for Tyler Huntley or something and move on in 2023.

Last year was supposed to be a great year for quarterbacks. The guys with the best QB ratings at the end of the year ended up being Mac Jones and Davis Mills. Quarterback always has been, and always will be a crap shoot. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Ryan Leaf was the 2nd overall pick.

To me, Davis Mills looks like a decent player. Had zero talent around him and improved greatly down the stretch. Conversely, Trevor Lawrence looked terrible for a large part of the season. Justin Fields looked lost at times. Trey Lance barely played. Zach Wilson had some moments.

Quarterback is a fickle position. You can only evaluate film so much. Some guys have worldly talents. Other guys have incredible determination to become great. Much of their fate is in the hands of offensive linemen, the weapons around them and the coaches that call the plays.

If the Vikings need a quarterback, they should draft a quarterback.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/16/2022 9:01:43 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 51
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 10:24:46 AM   
marty

Some great points there Brad.

It seems like about every 4 or 5 years there is reported to be a great QB class, then all the other years are labeled poor, or that there isn't much for QBs in them.

I wish there some way of looking at every QB playing now, and saying whether or not they came from a good or poor draft class.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 52
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 10:37:42 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

If the Vikings go in the toilet JJ won’t want to stay

A franchise QB is more valuable than a disgruntled WR with nobody capable of throwing him the ball.

Take away JJ, O'Neil and Darrisaw. You are left with 50 other players you can trade away and get as high in the draft as you like.

JJ is on a rookie deal and may be the best WR in the game. Even if you get a #1 it's bad value, we'd be drafting a WR to try to replace him and Theilen

I guess we should have traded Randy Moss after the 2000 season.. because.. you know.. we wouldn’t have another chance until 2008-9..

Who wants JJ traded?

FFS

Build around your best players, not overpay for the ones on the downside of their careers.. Thielen, Barr, Hunter, Harrison Smith, Everson Griffen..

“The Whole “ he is a Zimmer guy”.. needs to get the F out of town, just like Z/S..

Move forward…join the NFL that puts a premium on scoring and shootouts..

Running backs still have value, but not by making your offense predictable when a coach relies on the 70’s style ground game between the tackles..

Running backs are the easiest part of an offense to replace, elite WR’s are not.

So, by your plan, every time we draft a stud, we should trade him right away for next years draft picks unless we have a franchise QB? That doesn't sound like a good TEAM build strategy.

Once we finally find the QB, he won't have any decent players around him.

Just glad you not the GM Ronhex.

Which teams are doing well with mediocre QB play ?

Let’s be clear I said only shop Jefferson if next year goes bad and he gets you a top draft qb that you want.

Let’s quit pretending Miss left crying about wanting to be a Viking forever. He left because he wasn’t happy with offense and qb play.

Same reason Diggs forced his way out.

You don’t build a team with crap QB and good WR. We saw that product last Sunday.

After Monday night my guess is Vikings fans would love to have almost any QB still in playoffs.

QB QB QB QB

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/16/2022 10:43:16 AM >
Post #: 53
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 10:39:55 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

It seems like about every 4 or 5 years there is reported to be a great QB class, then all the other years are labeled poor, or that there isn't much for QBs in them.

I wish there some way of looking at every QB playing now, and saying whether or not they came from a good or poor draft class.

Most of the pundits are just trying to fill space. I put very little faith in pre-draft rankings, especially when it comes to quarterbacks. There is a huge jump to the NFL when you are a quarterback. A lot of them had superior talent around them when they were in college. Every time they took a snap they were better at all of the 10 positions around them. Now when pressed to play with inferior talent, they look human. Some guys like Burrow overcome and make those around them better. Others like Justin Fields sit on the sidelines and pout, almost never picking up the Microsoft Surface to look at the previous set of downs. If you want to be great at that position, you have to consistently evaluating your own play.

I watched one game this season when Fields was really struggling. He went to the sidelines, put on his baseball cap and just sat on the bench. No looking at film. No talking with coaches. He didn't strike me as a guy that will be a starting quarterback in the NFL for very long. If you watch the great ones, they are constantly working. I have always found it interesting to watch the quarterbacks when they come off of the field. The great ones separate themselves. The great ones enjoy the process. The bad ones quit trying and enjoy the paycheck.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/16/2022 10:45:56 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 54
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 11:03:52 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A franchise QB is more valuable than a disgruntled WR with nobody capable of throwing him the ball.

Take away JJ, O'Neil and Darrisaw. You are left with 50 other players you can trade away and get as high in the draft as you like.

JJ is on a rookie deal and may be the best WR in the game. Even if you get a #1 it's bad value, we'd be drafting a WR to try to replace him and Theilen

I guess we should have traded Randy Moss after the 2000 season.. because.. you know.. we wouldn’t have another chance until 2008-9..

Who wants JJ traded?

FFS

Build around your best players, not overpay for the ones on the downside of their careers.. Thielen, Barr, Hunter, Harrison Smith, Everson Griffen..

“The Whole “ he is a Zimmer guy”.. needs to get the F out of town, just like Z/S..

Running backs still have value, but not by making your offense predictable when a coach relies on the 70’s style ground game between the tackles..

Running backs are the easiest part of an offense to replace, elite WR’s are not.

So, by your plan, every time we draft a stud, we should trade him right away for next years draft picks unless we have a franchise QB? That doesn't sound like a good TEAM build strategy.

Let’s be clear I said only shop Jefferson if next year goes bad and he gets you a top draft qb that you want.

Let’s quit pretending Miss left crying about wanting to be a Viking forever. He left because he wasn’t happy with offense and qb play.

You don’t build a team with crap QB and good WR. We saw that product last Sunday.

After Monday night my guess is Vikings fans would love to have almost any QB still in playoffs.

QB QB QB QB

I agree completely on the QB emphasis, just not trading away a potential HOFer, when I have 52 other guys I can shop. He'd be my last, desperation option, if you

could guarantee me I'd be able to get the next Elway or Luck type prospect. Otherwise your just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

< Message edited by Murph -- 1/16/2022 11:38:30 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 55
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 11:36:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Most of the pundits are just trying to fill space. I put very little faith in pre-draft rankings, especially when it comes to quarterbacks. There is a huge jump to the NFL when you are a quarterback. A lot of them had superior talent around them when they were in college. Every time they took a snap they were better at all of the 10 positions around them. Now when pressed to play with inferior talent, they look human. Some guys like Burrow overcome and make those around them better. Others like Justin Fields sit on the sidelines and pout, almost never picking up the Microsoft Surface to look at the previous set of downs. If you want to be great at that position, you have to consistently evaluating your own play.

I watched one game this season when Fields was really struggling. He went to the sidelines, put on his baseball cap and just sat on the bench. No looking at film. No talking with coaches. He didn't strike me as a guy that will be a starting quarterback in the NFL for very long. If you watch the great ones, they are constantly working. I have always found it interesting to watch the quarterbacks when they come off of the field. The great ones separate themselves. The great ones enjoy the process. The bad ones quit trying and enjoy the paycheck.

Good post

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 56
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/16/2022 11:45:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who wants JJ traded?

FFS

QB QB QB QB

I agree completely on the QB emphasis, just not trading away a potential HOFer, when I have 52 other guys I can shop. He'd be my last, desperation option, if you

could guarantee me I'd be able to get the next Elway or Luck type prospect. Otherwise your just cutting off your nose to spit your face.

Unsure Just how many of them would garner much. Aged pricey vets (Theilen, Barr, Smith) get cut because they no longer merit their salary. Much of it has to do with their position. That's why Hunter has trade value and Cook does not. Trading away any young guys on rookie deals doesn't make a ton of sense to me because they are your core.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 57
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/21/2022 8:17:10 PM   
BosViking

quote:

quote:

quote:

maybe the 'right' quarterback in there at #5, #7, or #9...or we trade future picks, too....

a better call might be to trade cousins and see what mond has as a starter - if he's weak, we might be drafting early and a trade up is easier, if he does well, we might night trade up at all....

So find a way to live with Cousins for one more year (no extensions), Trade for Tyler Huntley or something and move on in 2023.

Last year was supposed to be a great year for quarterbacks. The guys with the best QB ratings at the end of the year ended up being Mac Jones and Davis Mills. Quarterback always has been, and always will be a crap shoot. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Ryan Leaf was the 2nd overall pick.

To me, Davis Mills looks like a decent player. Had zero talent around him and improved greatly down the stretch. Conversely, Trevor Lawrence looked terrible for a large part of the season. Justin Fields looked lost at times. Trey Lance barely played. Zach Wilson had some moments.

Quarterback is a fickle position. You can only evaluate film so much. Some guys have worldly talents. Other guys have incredible determination to become great. Much of their fate is in the hands of offensive linemen, the weapons around them and the coaches that call the plays.

well said.

I, too, don't take this narrative of "weak QB class" seriously

It all comes down to fit (first and foremost) and a team's situation... for example, some guys may be OK with starting day one in the NFL, others not so much... you have to do your homework and pick the right guy who fits your situation and your team/organization.

I think we should strongly consider a QB at #12 overall (I like Corral, but I just started looking into prospects, so I may change my mind on that)
Post #: 58
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 10:49:04 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BosViking

quote:

quote:

quote:

well said.

It all comes down to fit (first and foremost) and a team's situation... for example, some guys may be OK with starting day one in the NFL, others not so much... you have to do your homework and pick the right guy who fits your situation and your team/organization.

I think we should strongly consider a QB at #12 overall (I like Corral, but I just started looking into prospects, so I may change my mind on that)

If I had to pick a qb at 12 (like, absolutely HAD to pick one), I would probably go with Pickett from Pitt. I like Corral, but he just seems too small to take the NFL style beating he will be subjected to with the way he plays the position.
Post #: 59
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:02:08 PM   
TJSweens

#12 is too high to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 60
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:29:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

well said.

If I had to pick a qb at 12 (like, absolutely HAD to pick one), I would probably go with Pickett from Pitt. I like Corral, but he just seems too small to take the NFL style beating he will be subjected to with the way he plays the position.

Pick Pickett/Pitt
Post #: 61
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:32:36 PM   
BosViking

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

well said.

yes, that's the big worry..... however, I think he can adjust and become a star in the NFL.... with the proper coaching.
Post #: 62
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:41:26 PM   
ambear

IF a QB is their choice then a trade back might yield some value. Oh, and welcome BosViking!
Post #: 63
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:46:33 PM   
BosViking

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

IF a QB is their choice then a trade back might yield some value. Oh, and welcome BosViking!

thanks Ambear

there is a speculative "report" (read: rumor) by Jordan Schultz -- I watched a video on instagram of him saying it -- that Vikings are "in on" Deshaun Watson..... and he also says internally Vikings believe Kirk is "not a Superbowl caliber QB"

take that as you want to, but I can definitely buy the notion that they don't think Kirk is a winner.... and therefore, the new GM/HC will be looking for a new franchise QB, whether via draft or trade.
Post #: 64
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 1:54:05 PM   
ambear

Wow, Watson sure comes with his share of warts. Interesting times.
Post #: 65
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 2:07:19 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Did we learn nothing from Everson Griffen?

Watson is a whole other level of psychosis not worth talent..

JMO

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 66
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 3:26:49 PM   
marty

I think TB should have hung onto Brown, and got his mental illness treated, treat it like an injury. They may miss him in the playoffs. His injury thing seemed more like a misunderstanding with him and the coach.

Same thing with Griffen. He is still a great player. Griffen and Hunter helped make Zimmer's schemes look ok because of the pressure they brought.

Watson could get you a SB win, and is worth the gamble, while I don't think Cousins would bring that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 67
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 6:43:06 PM   
bohumm

The Vikings have no GM nor coach, the only two people whose opinions of Watson matter until the Wilfs sign off. BS report, or a BS organization. Hopefully the former....
Post #: 68
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 6:48:35 PM   
BosViking

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

The Vikings have no GM nor coach, the only two people whose opinions of Watson matter until the Wilfs sign off. BS report, or a BS organization. Hopefully the former....

In order for it to have merit, the new GM/HC would obviously need to want Watson as their franchise QB. To tie their future to Watson.

Off the field aside (definitely not downplaying it), Watson is "proven" on the field -- and that may entice the new GM/HC into trading for him (he is available, afterall). They may choose to go with a "proven" guy like Watson over risking their future on a rookie (esp. if they determine that this year's rookie QB class is "weak").

Don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't say there are zero chances of it happening either.

< Message edited by BosViking -- 1/22/2022 7:40:35 PM >
Post #: 69
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 7:00:56 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

In order for it to have merit, the new GM/HC would obviously need to want Watson as their franchise QB. To tie their future to Watson.

Off the field aside (definitely not downplaying it), Watson is "proven" on the field -- and that may entice the new GM/HC into trading for him (he is available, afterall). They make choose to go with a "proven" guy like Watson over risking their future on a rookie (esp. if they determine that this year's rookie QB class is "weak").

Don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't say there are zero chances of it happening either.

With this teams history of controversies involving football players.. I just don’t see Watson as any kind of fit…

Talented or not…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 70
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/22/2022 7:24:02 PM   
marty

Right now, Watson seems like the only QB available that could lead to a ring.

But I am ok with a QB at 12, if they feel strongly he has all the goods.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 71
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/25/2022 3:45:45 PM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

Right now, Watson seems like the only QB available that could lead to a ring.

But I am ok with a QB at 12, if they feel strongly he has all the goods.

I would take Matt Corral at 12, if he is there...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjKvNSB8M31AhUukYkEHc4LC6wQyCl6BAgDEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOCx_ek5uxIc&usg=AOvVaw1hYSg47GlcqT36ERzazr76

< Message edited by Hats4Bats -- 1/25/2022 4:06:09 PM >

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 72
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/25/2022 4:23:38 PM   
Todd M

Maybe it's a fine year to grab a QB. Some years everyone wants a shinny new toy and there's 2 or 3 highly coveted ones, and then teams fighting for leftovers to not get shut out say in the top 15.

Might be a solid piece sitting there while everyone's kicking tires.
Post #: 73
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/25/2022 4:56:22 PM   
marty

I would strongly consider Corral at 12.

I don't see him facing any pressure, and some are concerned about his size.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 74
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 1/26/2022 1:34:01 PM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

I would strongly consider Corral at 12.

I don't see him facing any pressure, and some are concerned about his size.

These were some observations back in 2017 when he was going to go to Florida.

Matt Corral receives high praise

The first episode of this year’s Elite 11 documentary premiered Tuesday on NFL Network, and Matt Corral got plenty of TV time.

The Florida QB commit from Long Beach, Calif., was featured throughout the show, most notably during the opening segment. Three of the camps coaches had high praise for Corral, comparing him to a pair of prominent passers.

Brian Stump, Elite 11 president: “Matthew Corral out of Long Beach Poly, he might have the strongest arm we’ve had in this camp since Matthew Stafford.”

Trent Dilfer, Elite 11 head coach: “You watch the tape and I thought Brett Farve-type playmaker. Incredible spacial awareness. His ability to have people close to him and kind of wiggle out of stuff. It’s splash reel after splash reel watching his tape.”

George Whitefield, QB guru: “Right now he throws the ball tempo, and that is heat. The challenge is going to be to get him to throw different type of passes. Custom service. Not everybody ordered their plate with hot sauce.”

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode