Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 9:51:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Speaking of people thumping their chest while talking about how it's so early in free agency, wow.

- Added another year of being tied to Cousins, a move that in large part shapes what a person thinks of free agency so far.

- Mostly just kicked cap down the road while bringing back the cap eaters. Certainly nothing to write home about since it will affect the outyears.

- We lost a good/promising TE for one that has 10 career catches and a torn ACL.

- We cut Pierce (good) and replaced him with someone who was only recently a starter. A move that goes in the hope-it-works category.

- Lost Cole, signed Schlottman, basically a wash.

- Made a splash signing with Za Smith. Looks to be a good move so far especially so for a 3-4.

- Barr likely to walk, sort of replaced with Hicks. Based on production, a good move although Barr may have done well in the 3-4.

I give the regime a C- so far, but really any grade is incomplete until they play. Positives are some under the radar signings combined with vets. Negatives are nothing to indicate a new direction.

Before FA most of the posts were about whether they would make the tough calls and basically rebuild, or simply make do while essentially keeping the roster the same. They've done the latter. Results to follow.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/25/2022 9:52:30 AM >
Post #: 351
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:00:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

CB coming in for a visit this Friday.

Chandon Sullivan(Packers)

10th ranked slot last year. Mac was 35th

Were there only 35 slot CBs?

I figure due to injuries/demotions/etc. they had over 32 listed?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/25/2022 10:06:52 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 352
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:06:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

Couple of things I like that Kwesi has done:

1) Sign leaders from good teams
2) Get rid of players that aren't on the field for whatever reason/can call it the Bud Grant philosophy
3) If you need to break #2 you sign injured players & tie performance and games played to contract

Post #: 353
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:08:00 AM   
Bill Johanesen

rumor is that the slot corner visiting will get 2 million/year if he signs.

First, that sounds more like something just made up.

Second, $2M a year basically gets you trash. For any good corner, $2 million is the AGENT'S cut (just perspective... not saying one is out there or that we can afford it).
Post #: 354
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:10:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Second, $2M a year basically gets you trash. For any good corner, $2 million is the AGENT'S cut (just perspective... not saying one is out there or that we can afford it).

Mac did make $4 million last year but an agents cut is normally 5%.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/25/2022 10:11:37 AM >

Post #: 355
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:15:39 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

2) Get rid of players that aren't on the field for whatever reason/can call it the Bud Grant philosophy
3) If you need to break #2 you sign injured players & tie performance and games played to contract

They certainly don't follow the principle of 2) as Phillips, Mundt, and Smith ALL have a history of injuries and/or have recently been injured. So has Hunter.

Let's hope they factored in 3), which looks to be your CYA disclaimer.
Post #: 356
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:18:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Mac did make $4 million last year but an agents cut is normally 5%.

And Mac played up to his salary, which was trash. A salary half that... Breeland might be available.

The agent's cut wasn't literal.
Post #: 357
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:19:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

They certainly don't follow the principle of 2) as Phillips, Mundt, and Smith ALL have a history of injuries and/or have recently been injured. So has Hunter.

So were Pierce and Barr on the field more than Phillips and Hicks last year?

Hunter wasn't a resigning or extension...he was under contract.

Did the Vikes protect themselves on the Smith contract?

Mundt is a Vet minimum signing to fill out the roster...there will be 18 more minimum salary signings. Odds are they will draft another TE but assuming Mundt is Conklins replacement at this point; just might be jumping the gun once again.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/25/2022 10:35:23 AM >

Post #: 358
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:21:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

If the Vikes sign Chandon Sullivan they will have another player that is on the GB books also:

SEP 11 2021Converted $1.213M of 2021 salary into bonus. clearing $970,400 in cap with Green Bay (GB)

Post #: 359
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 11:20:12 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Speaking of people thumping their chest while talking about how it's so early in free agency, wow.

- Added another year of being tied to Cousins, a move that in large part shapes what a person thinks of free agency so far.

- Mostly just kicked cap down the road while bringing back the cap eaters. Certainly nothing to write home about since it will affect the outyears.

- We lost a good/promising TE for one that has 10 career catches and a torn ACL.

- We cut Pierce (good) and replaced him with someone who was only recently a starter. A move that goes in the hope-it-works category.

- Lost Cole, signed Schlottman, basically a wash.

- Made a splash signing with Za Smith. Looks to be a good move so far especially so for a 3-4.

- Barr likely to walk, sort of replaced with Hicks. Based on production, a good move although Barr may have done well in the 3-4.

I give the regime a C- so far, but really any grade is incomplete until they play. Positives are some under the radar signings combined with vets. Negatives are nothing to indicate a new direction.

Before FA most of the posts were about whether they would make the tough calls and basically rebuild, or simply make do while essentially keeping the roster the same. They've done the latter. Results to follow.

We can still look for a QBOTF. All while seeing if it was the coaching that held back this group of players.

People think that if we blow it all up, we will automatically be good in 2-3 years. Jacksonville blew it all up and got their guy. But are overpaying big time for decent players. We'll see how they turn out in the next couple years.
Post #: 360
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 11:24:31 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Maybe they think this guy can be a starter but I'm thinking maybe a backup, core special teams player.

My hopes are sign Fuller or Haden and draft Stingley. Maybe also bring back PP as a CB/S type guy(also a mentor to Stingley)
Post #: 361
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 11:54:26 AM   
lyle chabot

Any word of a decent center signed
Post #: 362
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 12:26:26 PM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Let Tyler Conklin walk…

Fail…
Extend Cousins..

Fail..

Resigned Minion..

Fail..
Cole and Dozier..

Wash to a gain by releasing trash..

Nick vigil walks..

Fail.

This team is going to struggle.. again..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 363
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 3:10:59 PM   
Trekgeekscott

It looks like the Vikings have a new slot cornerback. Chandon Sullivan‘s Minnesota visit Friday led to a contract agreement, according to the veteran corner’s agency (Twitter link).

Sullivan spent the past three seasons with the Packers and worked primarily as their slot defender. The Vikings are not planning to bring back Mike Zimmer mainstay Mackensie Alexander, and Sullivan is coming off a nice contract year at the position. Sullivan will reunite with new Vikings staffer Mike Pettine, who was the Packers’ defensive coordinator during two of the cornerback’s three seasons in Green Bay.

Originally an Eagles UDFA, Sullivan caught on with the Packers in 2019. The Georgia State alum played 77% of Green Bay’s defensive snaps last season and intercepted three passes. He ranked among the top five slot corners in snaps per target and snaps per reception. Sullivan, 25, did not miss a game for Green Bay during his time with the team.

The Packers will make a transition here, but the team has committed significant resources at corner. In addition to housing first-round picks Jaire Alexander and Eric Stokes, the Packers re-signed Rasul Douglas on a $7MM-per-year deal last week.

With the Vikings moving to a new defensive system, it is uncertain they will re-sign free agent Patrick Peterson, though the All-Decade defender has expressed interest in staying. Peterson signed a one-year, $8MM deal to leave Arizona for Minnesota last year. The Vikes have Cameron Dantzler under contract, but even after signing Sullivan, the retooling team will need more help in coverage.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 364
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/25/2022 10:47:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

So were Pierce and Barr on the field more than Phillips and Hicks last year?

Hunter wasn't a resigning or extension...he was under contract.

Did the Vikes protect themselves on the Smith contract?

Mundt is a Vet minimum signing to fill out the roster...there will be 18 more minimum salary signings. Odds are they will draft another TE but assuming Mundt is Conklins replacement at this point; just might be jumping the gun once again.

Throw in all the doo-dads you want, but at the end of the day the regime has not followed the Bud Grant principle. So don't say he has. All your disclaimers do not make it so.
Post #: 365
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 5:03:34 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Maybe …

It’s the curse of Grant?

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 366
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 10:56:11 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

JC Tetter... perfect fit. I would be very happy with off season with his signing.

I think Peterson's ship has sailed. might want too much money.

Anyone know anything about Tretter and a possible visit?
Post #: 367
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:07:54 AM   
David Levine

PFF: Tretter has recorded a Top-3 pass-blocking grade among centers in 4 straight seasons.

PFF: J.C. Tretter since 2019:
🔸 1,601 pass-blocking snaps
🔸 0 QB hits allowed

Schefter: NFLPA Board of Player Representatives unanimously re-elected Browns’ center JC Tretter as president of the NFL Players Association.

Pelissero: Along with NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, Tretter led the players through COVID-19 the past two seasons, without a single game -- or paycheck -- lost. Stability at an important post.
Post #: 368
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:14:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

PFF: Tretter has recorded a Top-3 pass-blocking grade among centers in 4 straight seasons.

🔸 0 QB hits allowed

Schefter: NFLPA Board of Player Representatives unanimously re-elected Browns’ center JC Tretter as president of the NFL Players Association.

Pelissero: Along with NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, Tretter led the players through COVID-19 the past two seasons, without a single game -- or paycheck -- lost. Stability at an important post.

Get him. We have 16-18M in cap room. We are letting Bradbury go after this season. Maybe this off season.
Post #: 369
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:22:27 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

JC Tetter... perfect fit. I would be very happy with off season with his signing.

I think Peterson's ship has sailed. might want too much money.

Anyone know anything about Tretter and a possible visit?

Even I’d be happy with that FA signing..

A fn center like we haven’t had since Birk? Christy? Lowdermilk or Tinglehoff?

I’d be happy… er…ish..

Less RGOBF..

( that’s Resting Grumpy Old Bastard Face, Walter…)

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 3/26/2022 11:24:00 AM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 370
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:25:02 AM   
beo

quote:

🔸 0 QB hits allowed

The word is that he couldn't/didn't practice much of last year because of degenerative injury.
He played every game though, I think.
My guess is there that is the hesitation...
Post #: 371
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:29:48 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Yea I just googled… I’m thinking not….

Lotta questionable miles under that helmet..

No doubt he is smart.. but the age and injury history is a deal breaker..

We don’t need cap competition by 31 year old linemen..even good ones..

Steve Hutchison was the last F A lineman that really worked out well, that I remember..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 372
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:31:01 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

What degenerative injury? I hope not. Getting hopes up
Post #: 373
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:31:07 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

🔸 0 QB hits allowed

The word is that he couldn't/didn't practice much of last year because of degenerative injury.
He played every game though, I think.
My guess is there that is the hesitation...

How about that there?

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 374
RE: 2022 Free Agency - 3/26/2022 11:43:03 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

And if he has clean bill of health and those stats are correct...Sign Him!!

Cousins is very limited with his movements in the pocket. If he has no pressure up the middle, it will help this team immensely.
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode