Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  219 220 [221] 222 223   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 3:00:12 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Because the cap charge for the current league year isn’t reduced until June, designating a player as a post-June 1 cut hasn’t been hugely advantageous for teams historically. Typically, by June, just about every notable free agent is off the board. However, this year is a bit of a different story – Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan, Larry Warford, and other notable vets are still on the board.

Free agent opportunities aside, releasing a player in the spring and designating him a post-June 1 cut can be mutually beneficial for a player and his team. It allows the player to hit the market when potential suitors still have cap room and are still looking to add free agents, and it allows the club to spread out the player’s cap charge without having to actually wait until June 1 to release him — waiting until that point could mean paying roster or workout bonuses in the interim. Additionally, even if the team doesn’t need that June cap space for free agency, it can come in handy for signing draft picks.

If they are thinking of post June 1 cuts, it might be worth seeing who has any substantial 2023 roster bonuses or whatever category Brzez may have parked more millions.

When I was gathering the numbers I posted I used overthecap.com for the pre 6/1 and post 6/1 cut cap savings. The roster bonuses are listed on the site (1.5M for Thielen and 0.5M for HSmith). I assume they are including those in their cap savings.

Yeah I just checked a few of the likely suspects and didn't see any showstoppers.
Post #: 5501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 3:00:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Because the cap charge for the current league year isn’t reduced until June, designating a player as a post-June 1 cut hasn’t been hugely advantageous for teams historically. Typically, by June, just about every notable free agent is off the board. However, this year is a bit of a different story – Jadeveon Clowney, Logan Ryan, Larry Warford, and other notable vets are still on the board.

Free agent opportunities aside, releasing a player in the spring and designating him a post-June 1 cut can be mutually beneficial for a player and his team. It allows the player to hit the market when potential suitors still have cap room and are still looking to add free agents, and it allows the club to spread out the player’s cap charge without having to actually wait until June 1 to release him — waiting until that point could mean paying roster or workout bonuses in the interim. Additionally, even if the team doesn’t need that June cap space for free agency, it can come in handy for signing draft picks.

If they are thinking of post June 1 cuts, it might be worth seeing who has any substantial 2023 roster bonuses or whatever category Brzez may have parked more millions.

When I was gathering the numbers I posted I used overthecap.com for the pre 6/1 and post 6/1 cut cap savings. The roster bonuses are listed on the site (1.5M for Thielen and 0.5M for HSmith). I assume they are including those in their cap savings.

I take that back. Thielen and HSmith have per-game roster bonuses so they won't come into play in a cut. Kirk has the only true roster bonus which is 20 million.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 3:01:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I take that back. Thielen and HSmith have per-game roster bonuses so they won't come into play in a cut. Kirk has the only true roster bonus which is 20 million.

Right. Nothing triggered by some date in the offseason.

Whoops, Za: $5.05M of 2023 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023 (injury guaranteed at signing)

He also has a "Other bonus" in 2023 of $3 million. Not sure what that is, but I hope it doesn't come due soon. And I guess the calculator factored in his $2.5 million roster bonus for 2024.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/25/2023 3:07:35 PM >
Post #: 5503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 3:11:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Also, for Thielen: 2023 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2023.

Mar 17 looks to be the standard date for some of these contracts. Other contracts do not have the note, could be an omission or the contract is set up differently.

Free agency starts Mar 15.
Post #: 5504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 8:51:57 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate

Maybe a Cousins for Wilson swap with the Jets? Perhaps KOC could QB whisper Wilson into being more than a cougar conqueror.

Jets would be all over that like stink on shite

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2023 8:56:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

This Cousins talk is ridiculously pointless and frivolous. Cousins is the QB next year, for sure.

I'll be surprised if he's not the QB here for the two years after that as well (on an extension).

I could see them signing a cheap non-threatening reclamation project as a pure backup. Like a Darnold.

'We went 13-4! We know what we're doing! Third best team in our division come playoff time? Abject playoff failure? Donatell fired, problem solved!'

What a shame. I just don't think this regime will shoot higher.

Unfortanately I agree. Starts at the top. The Wilf's are more than satisfied that they can sell us the 13-4 season as a SB victory. Even though we all know were more or less a bottom feeder.

Post #: 5506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 7:59:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

This Cousins talk is ridiculously pointless and frivolous. Cousins is the QB next year, for sure.

I'll be surprised if he's not the QB here for the two years after that as well (on an extension).

I could see them signing a cheap non-threatening reclamation project as a pure backup. Like a Darnold.

'We went 13-4! We know what we're doing! Third best team in our division come playoff time? Abject playoff failure? Donatell fired, problem solved!'

What a shame. I just don't think this regime will shoot higher.

Unfortanately I agree. Starts at the top. The Wilf's are more than satisfied that they can sell us the 13-4 season as a SB victory. Even though we all know were more or less a bottom feeder.

And if words won't persuade you, Zygi can send cousin Leonard over to crack some knees.
Post #: 5507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 8:23:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

What will speak volumes about this new regime will be what they do at the C position.

If they re-sign Bradbury = Incompetent

Post #: 5508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 8:57:27 AM  3 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Jandro with a poop cannon at the internet wall..

Bradbury is not our biggest problem,

offense is not our biggest problem

Finding a defensive co-ordination and implementing a scheme that puts us in the position to win games even if the offense struggles against a good defense is far and away more important and a key to franchise success than Bradbury@center.

Forrest/ trees.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 9:14:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Finding a defensive co-ordination and implementing a scheme that puts us in the position to win games even if the offense struggles against a good defense is far and away more important and a key to franchise success than Bradbury@center.

Forrest/ trees.

Goes w/o saying the defense is a much bigger concern.

But your overlooking that we do not have a C on the roster other than some PS guy named Josh Sokol. So a move needs to be made for a starting C.

So yes it is a valid concern.

Post #: 5510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 9:33:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Gonna be a long couple of months on here considering pretty much everyone started posting about needs etc. during the season and WRT philosophy/band-aids, etc even last offseason.
Post #: 5511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 9:53:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro
quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young
Forrest/ trees.

Goes w/o saying the defense is a much bigger concern.
But your overlooking that we do not have a C on the roster other than some PS guy named Josh Sokol. So a move needs to be made for a starting C.
So yes it is a valid concern.

If Bradbury wants any $$$ at all; find someone else. He isn't that good.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 10:12:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

Adam may have less leverage now:

VikeFans
@VikeFans
·
3h
Adam Thielen Future- Analytics website FiveThirtyEight listed Thielen as 58th out of 111 WRs using tracking data to determine openness, catching & YAC. PFF graded him 36th of 39 receivers who had at least 90 targets. He produced the lowest yards per route run of the 111 receivers

Post #: 5513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 10:37:36 AM   
Ricky J

Mike Pettine, the Vikings assistant head coach who has been a coordinator for three teams, gave Kevin O'Connell his first NFL job in 2014. Strib

My understanding of how the world works tells me this guy is getting the job.
Post #: 5514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 10:48:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

I don't think this is the way:
NFL Rumors
@nflrums
·
21h
Four teams that are expected to check on Rams Jalen Ramsey availability. The Lions, Steelers, Vikings, and Raiders.

Post #: 5515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 11:27:44 AM   
ronhextall

If you can acquire Lance for some late draft picks it seems like a low risk high reward type move.

Only issue I see is his rookie deal has already been going for two years.

Damn shame there still isn't NFL Europe, draft QBs and ship them off to see if there is anything there.

Kurt Warner wasn't Kurt Warner until he seasoned himself in Arena League and NFL Europe.
Post #: 5516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 11:30:00 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

If you can acquire Lance for some late draft picks it seems like a low risk high reward type move.

Damn shame there still isn't NFL Europe, draft QBs and ship them off to see if there is anything there.

Kurt Warner wasn't Kurt Warner until he seasoned himself in Arena League and NFL Europe.

Or just had a real chance
Post #: 5517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 11:33:22 AM   
Ricky J

What we'll never know, how many players would of been great if they only had a real chance, instead of relying on "the experts"
Post #: 5518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 12:02:01 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

What we'll never know, how many players would of been great if they only had a real chance, instead of relying on "the experts"

I'd love to see some type of scientific study on this (if it's even possible). So many mediocre players get 100 chances (Ponder for example - and 1000s like him - not just QBs) and so many get no chance in a real game. Seriously - do we ever get to see Tom Brady if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt? It's scary to me how many superstars never get a shot there might be.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 12:18:49 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I don't think this is the way:
NFL Rumors
@nflrums
·
21h
Four teams that are expected to check on Rams Jalen Ramsey availability. The Lions, Steelers, Vikings, and Raiders.

I would love to get Ramsey, but I don't think the Vikings are going to want to give up the draft capital necessary.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 12:24:15 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Paprika?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 12:24:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

On the plus side, the shorter window might force us to play him sooner to see what he has.
Post #: 5522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 2:53:43 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

I'd love to see some type of scientific study on this (if it's even possible). So many mediocre players get 100 chances (Ponder for example - and 1000s like him - not just QBs) and so many get no chance in a real game. Seriously - do we ever get to see Tom Brady if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt? It's scary to me how many superstars never get a shot there might be.

Right. I was thinking of that example for sure and how about Purdy? He's going to have a lot more opportunities going forward than he would not have if two people don't go down in front of him (and maybe when they did).

Not sure the a scientific study will do it. Maybe the universe will help us out that one one day - who knows
Post #: 5523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 3:01:31 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right. I was thinking of that example for sure and how about Purdy? He's going to have a lot more opportunities going forward than he would not have if two people don't go down in front of him (and maybe when they did).

Not sure the a scientific study will do it. Maybe the universe will help us out that one one day - who knows

How close did Thielen come to being one of those guys? He got noticed in one those tryouts where Joe Blow off the street can show up.
Post #: 5524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2023 3:03:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Paprika?

Probably more like red pepper.
Post #: 5525
Page:   <<   < prev  219 220 [221] 222 223   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  219 220 [221] 222 223   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode