Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/23/2022 7:13:28 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Thielen seemed to get little separation when I could see, but there may have been some or several occasions when he was open. Unfortunately, he is actually very slightly negative cap savings with a cut or trade next year, so hopefully this doesn't persist, or, better, he was open a lot more than I could see.

Cook could be gone next year with substantial cap savings and Mattison will probably be gone in FA, so I'd like to see what Ty Chandler can see at some point this year, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I may have been looking at the wrong columns with regard to cap hit/ dead cap/ cap savings. I'll look again when I'm back to my computer.
Post #: 676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 3:13:12 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Thielen seemed to get little separation when I could see, but there may have been some or several occasions when he was open. Unfortunately, he is actually very slightly negative cap savings with a cut or trade next year, so hopefully this doesn't persist, or, better, he was open a lot more than I could see.

Cook could be gone next year with substantial cap savings and Mattison will probably be gone in FA, so I'd like to see what Ty Chandler can see at some point this year, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I may have been looking at the wrong columns with regard to cap hit/ dead cap/ cap savings. I'll look again when I'm back to my computer.

at this moment we are $1.7mm under the cap for 2023...if we cut next year we save....

Thielen…$6.4mm
Harry….$6.5mm
Cook…$8mm
Kendricks…$9mm
Hicks….$5mm
Hamn…$3mm

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 3:20:51 AM   
ratoppenheimer

of course, it's still early in the season, but at this moment out of 72 linebackers ranked on pff....

kendricks...#29
hicks...#63

we need some speed...asamoah, cine, and evans...booth, too, if he ever gets healthy....

Post #: 678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 5:50:46 AM   
marty

I stand corrected on benching Cousins in the 4th quarter at Philly.

That would have been a rash decision, based on the fact that we've seen Cousins like this before.

The 2nd game wouldn't be the time to switch to Mullens. It would more like around week 10, and that would be if it didn't appear Kirk was making progress in KOC's system.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 5:53:20 AM   
marty

I think MVP Cousins will return this week.

KOC will make corrections, and as long as these guys stay healthy, the offense will be cooking with Kirk.

My main concern is with the defense, wondering if Donetell's systems aren't outdated like Zimmer's, or just not aggressive enough.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 7:44:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

of course, it's still early in the season, but at this moment out of 72 linebackers ranked on pff....

kendricks...#29
hicks...#63

we need some speed...asamoah, cine, and evans...booth, too, if he ever gets healthy....

To this point, Hicks has been a terrible signing. As bad as he was against Philly, I thought he was even worse against the Packers.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 9:22:57 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

kendricks...#29
hicks...#63

To this point, Hicks has been a terrible signing. As bad as he was against Philly, I thought he was even worse against the Packers.

Hicks' latter claim to fame in Arizona was holding off some drafted LB, but then Arizona drafted another or more LBs and that was that. Here he is a cheap, stopgap body signed for his smarts. Unfortunately, neither he nor Kendricks have the mass to stop getting bowled over once the OL hoards get by the flimsy DL.

Basically we piecemealed together a 3-4 front seven with little cap or draft assets. Hunter and Smith are supposed to be the stars, but their impact has been minimal. Yeah they could each get 15 sacks. So far, they've 'sacked' scrambling QBs that run into them. Big deal.
Post #: 682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 9:28:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

One thing that Spielman said he believed in (at least early on) was signing cheaper free agents coming off their first contract. I'd rather the regime go that approach vs overpaying for 30+ year old names. Hicks, Peterson, Bullard, etc are just retreads we signed to technically fill out a roster.

Phillips was a first-contract guy. He kind of looks the part of a squat monster but I don't know how effective he has been.
Post #: 683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 9:31:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

Kendricks is very good in coverage but (230 lbs) is not built to take on 300+lbs G's.

Z and Hunter are not adept in coverage so it might be crucial to Asmoah (sp) to start getting some snaps in place of Hicks. All in all this defense will be bad until they can get better in the trenches.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 9:43:31 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Kendricks is very good in coverage but (230 lbs) is not built to take on 300+lbs G's.

Z and Hunter are not adept in coverage so it might be crucial to Asmoah (sp) to start getting some snaps in place of Hicks. All in all this defense will be bad until they can get better in the trenches.

So you want the 226 lb. Asmoah to bolster the trenches?
Post #: 685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 10:25:02 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

A few thoughts.

Remember never trust anyone over 30? Well, dont trust any coach over 50. Eddie is a flipping joke. Has Zimmer speak about players, throws them under the bus, acts like he knows more than anyone else. He was a HUGE MISTAKE. His bullshit explanations of Danzler and shell coverage is asinine. Nepotism?? WTH. His son is on staff?!?

KOC made mistakes last game, but please dont just hand the keys to the defense to this dinosaur. Accountability...starts with coaches first. Pathetic. Over 4 yards of separation on
passing downs. Most cover 2 run in the league. Least man coverage in the entire league. 5% last week. Hurts having a 85% completion rate. Come on. Reporters just let this jackass slide at latest press conference.

Cousins sucked last game, but Grandpa ED has to go!!
Post #: 686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 10:30:13 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

I want to see Asamoah on the field as a shallow zone cover lb. that’s where the eagles were killing us. He should me a step up from Hicks. I think the run d is going to be bad all season. We don’t have the players (or scheme, apparently) to be stout againt the run right now.
Post #: 687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 11:38:19 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

the #1 ranked linebacker is matt milano, buffalo - 6-0, 223lbs....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/24/2022 11:45:24 AM >

Post #: 688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 12:24:18 PM   
bohumm

I, too, think the problem with the LBs is speed rather size; there are just too many open spaces between the DL and the safeties. I'm sure some of that is by design, some is players adapting to EXACTLY where they need to be, and some is execution even when they can see where they need to be. Both teams we have faced have good RBs and worked the short to medium passing game well. Detroit is good in the run game and has a good line, so it will be another test for the LBs in that phase.

This is the design of the defense, which works quite well when executed properly. Part of execution is positioning pre-snap and the first movements just after, especially by the safeties and LBs. Maybe Donatell has adjustments to make there, and maybe his players do, or probably both.

It was always clear that this defense and, to a lesser extent, the offense would be a work in progress, even though as fans we might be optimistic. One of the keys to Belichick's teams staying on top was getting better as the season wore on while working in players of the type Bill mentioned above. Obviously we are trying to get on top, not stay there, but the same principle applies. Let's hope that's what happens!!!!
Post #: 689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 12:25:12 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

A few thoughts.

Remember never trust anyone over 30? Well, dont trust any coach over 50. Eddie is a flipping joke. Has Zimmer speak about players, throws them under the bus, acts like he knows more than anyone else. He was a HUGE MISTAKE. His bullshit explanations of Danzler and shell coverage is asinine. Nepotism?? WTH. His son is on staff?!?

KOC made mistakes last game, but please dont just hand the keys to the defense to this dinosaur. Accountability...starts with coaches first. Pathetic. Over 4 yards of separation on
passing downs. Most cover 2 run in the league. Least man coverage in the entire league. 5% last week. Hurts having a 85% completion rate. Come on. Reporters just let this jackass slide at latest press conference.

Cousins sucked last game, but Grandpa ED has to go!!

I'm not ready to give up on anyone.
Post #: 690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 12:33:59 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

i dont understand why he gets a free pass. KOC took responsibility for last game.. Gramps pointed fingers..
Post #: 691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 12:58:24 PM   
marty

Someone misunderstood my comments after the Packers game, I wasn't giving excuses for the Pukers.

The Vikings offense was fine that game, against a healthy Puke defense.

The Vikings defense was given the benefit of 2 Pro Bowl OL missing, and the Puke's #1 WR was out. And they still almost gave up a big play to a rookie WR. There are concerns about Donatell, Goeffrey is right.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 1:20:57 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

i dont understand why he gets a free pass. KOC took responsibility for last game.. Gramps pointed fingers..

He's under scrutiny, just like everyone. But two games in with questionable talent is not enough to say what's going on. And the taking responsibility is not a big thing either way for me. It can be mere pablum or it can be meaningful, but what matters is what happens within the team and on the field of play.
Post #: 693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 1:42:32 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

If we fn Roll out anything similar to that POS Philly defense..

Our season is over..

Going back to a poisoned well, just because the players “didn’t play correctly in X or y situation”.. is stupid.

Speaks to 1) piss poor coaching.

2) there is a reason they have three preseason games.. so you can practice looks and examine placement and execution…

Not playing ANY of the starting players, in ANY of the preseason, is a huge red flag to me.

I am not a fan of a coach who points fingers at players, after not getting this same players on the field, in his new scheme, in the preseason.

KOC should be reaming his ass daily, for that total cluster muck that was on the field in Philly.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 9/24/2022 1:45:27 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/24/2022 10:35:08 PM   
marty

Right on Danno !!!

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2022 12:28:07 PM   
marty

IF you hired a poor DC, how long do you give him before firing him ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2022 3:48:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF you hired a poor DC, how long do you give him before firing him ?

Kicking 56 yard FG when you have a good punter. Short field made two of Detroit TDS.

Defense will be a work in progress but our best safety and cb were both out.

I don’t remember how many games it has been since we pulled out a game we shouldn’t have won. It has been the other way with Zimmer.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2022 4:03:35 PM   
GopherFan34

KOC needs to send Dan Cambell a thank you note.
Post #: 698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2022 4:17:43 PM   
Bill Jandro

Both Kickers went wide right on that end of the field. One of the announcers mentioned the big doors being open may have been a factor.

Post #: 699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2022 4:18:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

Marty's Packers are taking it to TB early

Post #: 700
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode