Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:32:54 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
So forget the others. This is about KIRK COUSINS. One playoff win in 11 seasons.

The 2nd best QB arguably in Vikings history. A team currently with 0 championships. You are aiming for a qb to win a championship; but lets gut the team, JJ, Kirk, etc. rebuild it down to the studs for 2-3 years....makes sense.

2nd best? That’s ridiculous even for you.

Second best player in team history for the lowest return on the hugest investment. Herschell Walker being #1.

If KC doesnt win another playoff game for us, he’ll easily make our Mt Rushmore of infamy, alongside Walker and Steckel … trying to think of who would be the fourth(?).

I don't think Cousins makes Top 10

Mt. Rushmore

Walker
Steckel
Ponder
Underwood

Honorable Mention

Frazier(HC)
DJ Dozier(why we made Herschel trade)
Troy Williamson(Moss trade)
Kalil
Darrin Nelson(not a bad player but could have had HOF Marcus Allen)
Blair Walsh(best team since 2009 and he shanked it away)

Frazier was a far better coach than Childress

Just sayin

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 7376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:33:13 AM   
Bill Johanesen

A sleeper pick?

Van Brocklin cut his ties with the Eagles after his belief that the team had reneged on an agreement to name him head coach to replace the retiring Buck Shaw. On January 18, 1961, he accepted the head coaching position for the expansion Minnesota Vikings,[39][40] less than a month after winning the NFL Championship game. During his six years with Minnesota, Van Brocklin compiled a record of 29-51-4 (.369).[41] The tenure was highlighted by his contentious relationship with quarterback Fran Tarkenton.[42] Van Brocklin was displeased with Tarkenton's penchant for scrambling, preferring that he stay in the pocket. The feud culminated with Tarkenton's demand for a trade[42] and Van Brocklin's surprise resignation on February 11, 1967.[43] Tarkenton was traded to the New York Giants shortly after Van Brocklin's departure,[44] but was reacquired by Van Brocklin's successor, Bud Grant, five years later in 1972. One thing Van Brocklin was known for was his disdain for soccer-style kickers (now the standard in the NFL). In one game, soccer-style kicker Garo Yepremian beat Van Brocklin's team and after the game, a reporter asked about how felt about losing the game on a last-second field goal, and he replied "They ought to change the god-damned immigration laws in this country".
Post #: 7377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:40:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So forget the others. This is about KIRK COUSINS. One playoff win in 11 seasons.

The 2nd best QB arguably in Vikings history. A team currently with 0 championships. You are aiming for a qb to win a championship; but lets gut the team, JJ, Kirk, etc. rebuild it down to the studs for 2-3 years....makes sense.

Second best player in team history for the lowest return on the hugest investment. Herschell Walker being #1.

If KC doesnt win another playoff game for us, he’ll easily make our Mt Rushmore of infamy, alongside Walker and Steckel … trying to think of who would be the fourth(?).

Troy Williamson? Granted, he had the shadow of Moss. But #7 pick overall catching the ball with his face mask?

Underwood?

I would rate Underwood lower on the list because even though it was a wasted first rounder he is redeemed (not sure if that's the right word) somewhat in that we didn't have to suffer a season or three of crappy play. Does that make sense? When I compare Underwood to Christian Ponder I see Ponder as 10x worse because our QB situation was messed up for multiple seasons because of the pick.

True. Underwood would be more about sensationalism and marketing. The intrigue of a player getting in based on not having played a down.

Ponder is just a blah pick. Nothing stands out. Just a crappy QB.

I think the facility at the Mt. Rushmore of Infamy could have the rants by Jerry Burns and Denny on continuous loops. Maybe articles on Tice scalping tickets.

Oh, and this little lovespat: https://youtu.be/vlsFltOgL-U

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/29/2023 10:44:22 AM >
Post #: 7378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:43:58 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mt. Rushmore

Walker
Steckel
Ponder
Underwood

Honorable Mention

Frazier(HC)
Kalil

Again, in terms of return on investment, no comparison. There are much worse RBs and QBs that won’t sniff their rarefied air.

Ponder, Underwood, Williamson, etc … are just first rd picks that didnt pan out. With Ponder getting an asterisk because the org held onto him (Kalil, Treadwell, etc) way too long. All franchises have that.

Both Cousins and Walker were ‘the missing piece’ … a vast premium paid on getting a team with competitive aspirations over the hump but instead, ended up humping the franchise and sucking up assets.

All the talk about, ‘its not Cousins fault the defense sucked’ and ‘its not his fault he played for Zimmer’ are shallow, narrow and cherry-picked. Cousins got here on a team that just went to the NFCCG, had two years of a top ten defense blah blah blah. In essence, Zimmer / the defense / the OL held Cousins back but his inability to get the team over the hump in big games and his cap ingesting contract held them back as well.

Cousins is not done yet. Since I see no path forward without him for one, maybe two more seasons … I will sincerely be pulling for him to beat my expectations, have another very good season - somehow find a better result. I would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and bump himself off the list of shame.

However, if 2019 is the zenith of his time as a viking, if that's all there is … given the years / resources he has and is still tying up, he will be remembered as nothing more than a big fat succubus and waste of a great throwing arm. IMO.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/29/2023 10:48:54 AM >
Post #: 7379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:49:48 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mt. Rushmore

Walker
Steckel
Ponder
Underwood

Honorable Mention

Frazier(HC)
Kalil

Again, in terms of return on investment, no comparison. There are much worse RBs and QBs that won’t sniff their rarefied air.

Ponder, Underwood, Williamson, etc … are just first rd picks that didnt pan out. With Ponder getting an asterisk because the org held onto him (Kalil, Treadwell, etc) way too long. All franchises have that.

Both Cousins and Walker were ‘the missing piece’ … a vast premium paid on getting a team with competitive aspirations over the hump but instead, ended up humping the franchise and sucking up assets.

All the talk about about, ‘its not Cousins fault the defense sucked’ and ‘its not his fault he played for Zimmer’ are shallow, narrow and cherry-picked. Cousins got here on a team that just went to the NFCCG, had two years of a top ten defense blah blah blah. In essence, Zimmer / the defense / the OL held Cousins back but his inability to get the team over the hump in big games and his cap ingesting contract held them back as well.

Cousins is not done yet. Since I see no path forward without him for one, maybe two more seasons … I will sincerely be pulling for him to beat my expectations, have another very good season - somehow find a better result. I would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong bump, himself off the list of shame.

However, if 2019 is the zenith of his time as a viking, if thats all there is … given the years / resources he has and is still tying up, he will be remembered as nothing more than a big fat succubus and waste of a great throwing arm.

Yeah we get it

Layer in the first ever 100% guaranteed contract. His nationally known struggles in prime time. His $ to playoff win ratio that is off the charts.

Cousins is a lock.
Post #: 7380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:51:40 AM   
Bill Johanesen

There are much worse RBs and QBs that won’t sniff their rarefied air.

In which case McCombs and Spielman have a real shot at the 4th spot.
Post #: 7381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:52:42 AM   
David F.

My Mount Rushmore of Vikings overrated/futility/choke/major-pieces:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Brad Childress aka kickass offense
4. Adrian Peterson

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:53:02 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mt. Rushmore

Walker
Steckel
Ponder
Underwood

Honorable Mention

Frazier(HC)
Kalil

All the talk about about, ‘its not Cousins fault the defense sucked’ and ‘its not his fault he played for Zimmer’ are shallow, narrow and cherry-picked. Cousins got here on a team that just went to the NFCCG, had two years of a top ten defense blah blah blah. In essence, Zimmer / the defense / the OL held Cousins back but his inability to get the team over the hump in big games and his cap ingesting contract held them back as well.

Cousins is not done yet. Since I see no path forward without him for one, maybe two more seasons … I will sincerely be pulling for him to beat my expectations, have another very good season - somehow find a better result. I would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong bump, himself off the list of shame.

However, if 2019 is the zenith of his time as a viking, if thats all there is … given the years / resources he has and is still tying up, he will be remembered as nothing more than a big fat succubus and waste of a great throwing arm.

Yeah we get it

Layer in the first ever 100% guaranteed contract. His nationally known struggles in prime time. His $ to playoff win ratio that is off the charts.

Cousins is a lock.

Apologies. I am a broken record.

I'll move on.
Post #: 7383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:55:41 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mt. Rushmore

Walker
Steckel
Ponder
Underwood

Honorable Mention

Frazier(HC)
Kalil

Yeah we get it

Cousins is a lock.

Apologies. I am a broken record.

I'll move on.

It's a good record.
Post #: 7384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 11:34:24 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Maybe it'll be ok if he plays one more, or two, years here in MN. Dan come down from the ledge ...

Get Up @GetUpESPN

@RGIII
's top five NFC QBs if Rodgers plays for the Jets:

1. Jalen Hurts
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Dak Prescott
4. Kyler Murray
5. Geno Smith

* Kirk was trending on Twitter so I went and snag a couple tweets. I left the one's with scripture there so as not to offend or disturb anyone.

The scripture quotes would have been 100 times better than the bolded.

gee thanks -- the bolded is me ... not that I get what you mean by it
Post #: 7385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 11:42:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Troy Williamson? Granted, he had the shadow of Moss. But #7 pick overall catching the ball with his face mask?

Underwood?

I think he wasn't even in camp 1 day and the capital in the draft could of been used better. (Antoine Winfield & Kearse above and Patrick Kearney and Al Wilson below).

Also this:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/229058-the-worst-draft-pick-in-nfl-history-dimitrius-underwood

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 12:42:09 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe it'll be ok if he plays one more, or two, years here in MN. Dan come down from the ledge ...

Get Up @GetUpESPN

@RGIII

1. Jalen Hurts
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Dak Prescott
4. Kyler Murray
5. Geno Smith

* Kirk was trending on Twitter so I went and snag a couple tweets. I left the one's with scripture there so as not to offend or disturb anyone.

I meant that you were being presumptuous. Also, I love lots of scripture readings - both for their gracious and beautiful messages, but also I enjoy turning them around on performative Christians to point out their hypocrisy. For the record - I don't view you as one of those. To be fair though, I DID think your comment was presumptuous and passive aggressive.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 1:33:11 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Get Up @GetUpESPN

@RGIII

1. Jalen Hurts
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Dak Prescott
4. Kyler Murray
5. Geno Smith

I meant that you were being presumptuous. Also, I love lots of scripture readings - both for their gracious and beautiful messages, but also I enjoy turning them around on performative Christians to point out their hypocrisy. For the record - I don't view you as one of those. To be fair though, I DID think your comment was presumptuous and passive aggressive.

I disagree with your thoughts regarding my statement as being presumptuous. These two statements came in this morning:

“Mr guaranteed money is my lord and savior “ is out the ****ing door..

All I picture Cousins doing is shrugging and thinking about church stuff.

IMO, we seem to be a long way from what's permitted and appropriate on this board. HST, I wasn't trying to be either or passive aggressive, maybe a touch snarky but felt it was a minor jab. I think posting scripture would of been a more direct shot and much more passive aggressive. Nope, no anger here just a post - but I can be hard to figure sometimes I'll admit.
Post #: 7388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:08:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

Would've

Not "Would of"

It's really becoming a pet peeve of mine....

Now back to your regularly scheduled Cousins bashing...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 7389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:23:18 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Robert Smith is near the top of mine, STOP RUNNING OUT OF BOUNDS in NFC Title Game, and Vikings walk into Super Bow.
Post #: 7390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:23:32 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Would've

Not "Would of"

It's really becoming a pet peeve of mine....

Now back to your regularly scheduled Cousins bashing...

It's a pet peeve of my auto correct, too!
Post #: 7391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:34:21 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Robert Smith is near the top of mine, STOP RUNNING OUT OF BOUNDS in NFC Title Game, and Vikings walk into Super Bow.

We were rolling that drive. Run plays were called to the outside where Smith either was pushed OOB or he cut it OOB after an easy 1st down.

You and Brad keep on this but its not a thing like you think.
Post #: 7392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:41:46 PM  1 votes
Todd M

We would of could of should of gone to the SB except for Gary freaking Anderson. Period.
Post #: 7393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:49:40 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

We were rolling that drive. Run plays were called to the outside where Smith either was pushed OOB or he cut it OOB after an easy 1st down.

If he was a game smart player he could have went down is where I disagree with you. But I agree with you that it wasn't as much of a thing at that time, where they restarted the clock costing only 15 seconds, but would have been a bigger deal before that rule change.
Post #: 7394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 3:55:24 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Well Robert Smith disagrees. He said on national radio a couple years ago he screwed up.

It also doesn't almost 3 decades later. I will say it's a hell of a lot easier to fall down in bounds vs making a FG.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 3/29/2023 3:59:34 PM >
Post #: 7395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 4:09:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Well Robert Smith disagrees. He said on national radio a couple years ago he screwed up.

It also doesn't almost 3 decades later. I will say it's a hell of a lot easier to fall down in bounds vs making a FG.

Nice seeing trying to take responsibility but we didn't need him to stay in bounds possibly risking a fumble.
Post #: 7396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 4:12:05 PM   
Todd M

You don't see players actively taking
a knee in bounds on an active drive like that. Unless there are less than 40 seconds left and they don't want to score.
Post #: 7397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 4:14:20 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Nice seeing trying to take responsibility but we didn't need him to stay in bounds possibly risking a fumble.

Just fall down!

It appears you're confusing these (2?) moments with Peterson lowering his shoulder trying to get 2 extra yards, after having the first down, and then fumbling, costing us the #1 seed.

edit: not confusing but maybe intertwining the two a bit

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 3/29/2023 4:18:46 PM >
Post #: 7398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 4:59:55 PM   
marty

I blame 98' loss mostly on the defensive coordinator for not blitzing Chandler, which Denver showed to rattle Chandler in the SB.

Denny's not having enough killer instinct and taking a knee wasn't good.

And RC didn't have enough of a short game to just drive the field in OT and get a winning FG. Too reliant on the the deep pass to Moss. RC should have ran a couple of times to keep the defense honest, and loosen up the coverage a little bit.

And the kick, but I think a HC that doesn't exude enough confidence, is more likely to have a kicker fail.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 6:35:31 PM   
twinsfan

Rumor the Vikes are trading their 1st round pick for Trey Lance.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 7400
Page:   <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  294 295 [296] 297 298   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode