Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  295 296 [297] 298 299   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 7:20:22 PM   
Todd M

If some talking head mentions something as a possibility that doesn't make it a rumor.

What a dumb move to get a guy that'll be 3/5ths done his rookie contract before he gets a chance to be the guy. And you have to choose the 5th year option prior to seeing him in that role.
Post #: 7401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 7:30:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

My Mount Rushmore of Vikings overrated/futility/choke/major-pieces:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Brad Childress aka kickass offense
4. Adrian Peterson

Robert Smith is near the top of mine, STOP RUNNING OUT OF BOUNDS in NFC Title Game, and Vikings walk into Super Bow.

We were rolling that drive. Run plays were called to the outside where Smith either was pushed OOB or he cut it OOB after an easy 1st down.

You and Brad keep on this but its not a thing like you think.

Well Robert Smith disagrees. He said on national radio a couple years ago he screwed up.

It also doesn't almost 3 decades later. I will say it's a hell of a lot easier to fall down in bounds vs making a FG.

Nice seeing trying to take responsibility but we didn't need him to stay in bounds possibly risking a fumble.

Just fall down!

It appears you're confusing these (2?) moments with Peterson lowering his shoulder trying to get 2 extra yards, after having the first down, and then fumbling, costing us the #1 seed.

edit: not confusing but maybe intertwining the two a bit

There is nothing to suggest he was even intertwining things (per your EDIT). Maybe you wanted to introduce a new player to the equation... for whatever reason?
Post #: 7402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 7:37:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe it'll be ok if he plays one more, or two, years here in MN. Dan come down from the ledge ...

Get Up @GetUpESPN

@RGIII
's top five NFC QBs if Rodgers plays for the Jets:

1. Jalen Hurts
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Dak Prescott
4. Kyler Murray
5. Geno Smith

* Kirk was trending on Twitter so I went and snag a couple tweets. I left the one's with scripture there so as not to offend or disturb anyone.

The scripture quotes would have been 100 times better than the bolded.

gee thanks -- the bolded is me ... not that I get what you mean by it

I meant that you were being presumptuous. Also, I love lots of scripture readings - both for their gracious and beautiful messages, but also I enjoy turning them around on performative Christians to point out their hypocrisy. For the record - I don't view you as one of those. To be fair though, I DID think your comment was presumptuous and passive aggressive.

I agree. I have a hell of a lot more respect for people that say what they mean rather that try to dance around the matter... which is picked up within seconds of reading it.
Post #: 7403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 8:46:15 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Robert Smith is near the top of mine, STOP RUNNING OUT OF BOUNDS in NFC Title Game, and Vikings walk into Super Bow.

We were rolling that drive. Run plays were called to the outside where Smith either was pushed OOB or he cut it OOB after an easy 1st down.

Well Robert Smith disagrees. He said on national radio a couple years ago he screwed up.

It also doesn't almost 3 decades later. I will say it's a hell of a lot easier to fall down in bounds vs making a FG.

Nice seeing trying to take responsibility but we didn't need him to stay in bounds possibly risking a fumble.

Just fall down!

It appears you're confusing these (2?) moments with Peterson lowering his shoulder trying to get 2 extra yards, after having the first down, and then fumbling, costing us the #1 seed.

edit: not confusing but maybe intertwining the two a bit

There is nothing to suggest he was even intertwining things (per your EDIT). Maybe you wanted to introduce a new player to the equation... for whatever reason?

And what reason would there be to introduce another player that would make a person like you care enough to make a deal out of it. All day people are talking about horrible moments by Viking players. I can't believe I didn't think of Peterson till then. But youre suggesting I'm being sinister by introducing him that way. Why would I be ashamed to mention it? Wth is wrong with you?
Post #: 7404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 8:47:24 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe it'll be ok if he plays one more, or two, years here in MN. Dan come down from the ledge ...

Get Up @GetUpESPN

@RGIII
's top five NFC QBs if Rodgers plays for the Jets:

1. Jalen Hurts
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Dak Prescott
4. Kyler Murray
5. Geno Smith

* Kirk was trending on Twitter so I went and snag a couple tweets. I left the one's with scripture there so as not to offend or disturb anyone.

The scripture quotes would have been 100 times better than the bolded.

gee thanks -- the bolded is me ... not that I get what you mean by it

I meant that you were being presumptuous. Also, I love lots of scripture readings - both for their gracious and beautiful messages, but also I enjoy turning them around on performative Christians to point out their hypocrisy. For the record - I don't view you as one of those. To be fair though, I DID think your comment was presumptuous and passive aggressive.

I agree. I have a hell of a lot more respect for people that say what they mean rather that try to dance around the matter... which is picked up within seconds of reading it.

Oh my, and here I was hoping it was me you blocked. That's too bad.
Post #: 7405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 8:51:49 PM   
Ricky J

nvm

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 3/29/2023 9:02:22 PM >
Post #: 7406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 9:00:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Not sure I agree with anyone on this list.

-Walker was flat out used incorrectly by "****" Burnsie
-Cousins is simply over paid
-Chili damned near got us to the SB despite being an asshole
-AD dragged a team kicking and screaming to the playoffs with Christian Ponder as his qb

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 3/29/2023 9:02:22 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 9:19:27 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

I've felt the same way about the end of that game and the supposedly super smart Smith failing to stay inbounds. To make sure I didn't have a false memory, I went over the youtube full game video.

As a benchmark for the amount of clock time burned on an inbounds run: At 5:14, Leroy Hoard is tackled inbounds, and the ball is snapped on the next play at 4:39 ==> 0:35 of clock usage.

Smith's three runs out of bounds:
1. At 5:59, Smith runs out of bounds on 1st and 10 after a 9-yard gain, making a token effort to stay inbounds. Clock is wound after the ball is set for the next play. 0:15 off the clock instead of 0:35 ==> foregone 0:20.
2. At 5:37, Smith runs out of bounds on 2nd and 1 after a 16-yard run, making no effort to stay inbounds. Clock is wound after the ball is set for the next play. 0:20 off the clock instead of 0:35 ==> foregone 0:15.
3. At 4:32, Smith runs out of bounds on 2nd and 5 after an 8-yard run. He could have easily gone down inbounds with the first down. Clock stops at 4:32, and it does not start until the next snap ==> foregone 0:35.

Total foregone time: 1:10

The amount of time left on the clock would have affected how the game was called thereafter. There is a greater possibility that the Vikings would have run on the 3rd and 6 at 2:18 if there had been less than 2 minutes left, and the Falcons would have used their timeouts differently.
Post #: 7408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 9:32:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Not sure I agree with anyone on this list.

-Walker was flat out used incorrectly by "****" Burnsie
-Cousins is simply over paid
-Chili damned near got us to the SB despite being an asshole
-AD dragged a team kicking and screaming to the playoffs with Christian Ponder as his qb

Well then, put your pudding on the wall, as they say.

They do say that right?

Your list please ...
Post #: 7409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 9:59:53 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

I've felt the same way about the end of that game and the supposedly super smart Smith failing to stay inbounds. To make sure I didn't have a false memory, I went over the youtube full game video.

As a benchmark for the amount of clock time burned on an inbounds run: At 5:14, Leroy Hoard is tackled inbounds, and the ball is snapped on the next play at 4:39 ==> 0:35 of clock usage.

1. At 5:59, Smith runs out of bounds on 1st and 10 after a 9-yard gain, making a token effort to stay inbounds. Clock is wound after the ball is set for the next play. 0:15 off the clock instead of 0:35 ==> foregone 0:20.
2. At 5:37, Smith runs out of bounds on 2nd and 1 after a 16-yard run, making no effort to stay inbounds. Clock is wound after the ball is set for the next play. 0:20 off the clock instead of 0:35 ==> foregone 0:15.
3. At 4:32, Smith runs out of bounds on 2nd and 5 after an 8-yard run. He could have easily gone down inbounds with the first down. Clock stops at 4:32, and it does not start until the next snap ==> foregone 0:35.

The amount of time left on the clock would have affected how the game was called thereafter. There is a greater possibility that the Vikings would have run on the 3rd and 6 at 2:18 if there had been less than 2 minutes left, and the Falcons would have used their timeouts differently.

Good stuff. I know this was gone over pretty thoroughly at the Strib at the time.
Post #: 7410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:16:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I blame 98' loss mostly on the defensive coordinator for not blitzing Chandler, which Denver showed to rattle Chandler in the SB.

Denny's not having enough killer instinct and taking a knee wasn't good.

And RC didn't have enough of a short game to just drive the field in OT and get a winning FG. Too reliant on the the deep pass to Moss. RC should have ran a couple of times to keep the defense honest, and loosen up the coverage a little bit.

And the kick, but I think a HC that doesn't exude enough confidence, is more likely to have a kicker fail.

Actually, he didn't have enough of a deep game, as he underthrew a WIDE open Moss by about 15 yards in OT.
Post #: 7411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:47:06 PM   
David F.

Chilly makes my list because of the 12 men in the huddle after a time out.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2023 10:53:08 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

WELL.. I can see we are in the dog days of spring/ predraft..

Rehashing and making dead donkey dick spam out of past times..

The only thing I’m tired of is the seemingly inevitable groundhogs day we go through every time we win a division and make the playoffs..

I am so sick of “ alllllll…. Most…”, “wiiiiide right/left”
And “next time we make a deep run.. we have all the pieces…”

This franchise sold its soul to eternal never will in the Hershel Walker trade, frosted that burnt toast by trading Moss, and put the sour whipped cream on top by putting purple #4 on Butt Favrey…

The rotten cherry on top is a fully guaranteed contact to a not good enough to win playoff games, AT HOME!! Quarterback who has no spine.

My rant is over.. for now..

Bring on the FN draft already….

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 3/29/2023 10:54:52 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 7:09:17 AM  1 votes
jbusse

As far as Kirk's contracts being fully guaranteed -- he's about as durable as any QB, so it's not like that aspect of his contracts have come back to bite them. Both GMs have extended him beyond the previous guarantees.
Post #: 7414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 8:09:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

Those were nice gains. Haven't had the desire to watch the game, too painful. So close. Once Anderson missed the FG I knew it was over. We lost a few defenders to injury.
Post #: 7415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 8:18:44 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Rumor the Vikes are trading their 1st round pick for Trey Lance.

I don't hate it, if they don't extend him until after they seem him play a season.
Post #: 7416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 9:41:16 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

100%

Arguably the most overrated Viking of all time.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 7417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 10:48:45 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I don't hate it, if they don't extend him until after they seem him play a season.

I don't like it.

Damaged goods that hasn't proven shit yet. Not worth a 1st, 4th maybe?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 7418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 11:15:17 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I don't like it.

Damaged goods that hasn't proven shit yet. Not worth a 1st, 4th maybe?

I'd rather try to get Hendon Hooker with our 1st rounder. Even if Trey works out we'll have to pay him his second contract after possibly only one year of him being our starter.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 11:23:45 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Consider the "source"...
Post #: 7420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 12:28:31 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

WELL.. I can see we are in the dog days of spring/ predraft..

Rehashing and making dead donkey dick spam out of past times..

The only thing I’m tired of is the seemingly inevitable groundhogs day we go through every time we win a division and make the playoffs..

I am so sick of “ alllllll…. Most…”, “wiiiiide right/left”
And “next time we make a deep run.. we have all the pieces…”

This franchise sold its soul to eternal never will in the Hershel Walker trade, frosted that burnt toast by trading Moss, and put the sour whipped cream on top by putting purple #4 on Butt Favrey…

The rotten cherry on top is a fully guaranteed contact to a not good enough to win playoff games, AT HOME!! Quarterback who has no spine.

My rant is over.. for now..

Bring on the FN draft already….

Quality rant!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 7421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 12:30:10 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

100%

He was fast, but fragile. As fragile as he was it's hard to blame him to default to self preservation, but ya he needed to do better for the team.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 7422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2023 11:55:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Chilly makes my list because of the 12 men in the huddle after a time out.

Well Frasier one-upped that with the "playing for the field goal block".

And McCombs makes the list for trading Moss. That and spending as little against the cap as possible. That and having the OL coach doing double duty as the OC.
Post #: 7423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/31/2023 5:38:34 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

100%

He was fast, but fragile. As fragile as he was it's hard to blame him to default to self preservation, but ya he needed to do better for the team.

like moss, smith had long legs - long strides...very deceptive speed for defenders...he couldn't juke himself out of a box, but he could run around the edge well enough....

when did he have is alcohol issues?...is that why he retired early?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/31/2023 8:04:24 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Herschell Walker
2. Kirk Cousins
4. Adrian Peterson

100%

like moss, smith had long legs - long strides...very deceptive speed for defenders...he couldn't juke himself out of a box, but he could run around the edge well enough....

when did he have is alcohol issues?...is that why he retired early?....

Here's a nice juke at the 25 yard line:
https://youtu.be/7_fKO3RopzQ?t=255
Post #: 7425
Page:   <<   < prev  295 296 [297] 298 299   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  295 296 [297] 298 299   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode