Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:58:57 AM   
marty

Looks like Montana won his Bowl game, Brady won 2 Bowl games, Aikmann won 2 Bowl games, and Eli won 2 Bowl games.

So the guys that went on to win multiple Super Bowls won their Bowl games.

I will continue to give guys that won their Bowl games a notch up.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7751
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 12:01:05 PM   
marty

Wikipedia says Mahomes never played in a Bowl game, or did I miss something there ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7752
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 12:05:08 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Wikipedia says Mahomes never played in a Bowl game, or did I miss something there ?

So that he didn't even get to a bowl game is better than losing a bowl game? 🤔

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7753
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 12:23:47 PM   
marty

Shows he had a poor supporting cast. Losing after putting up 59 points also supports that.

Had he gotten his poor team to a Bowl, I think there is a good chance he would have won the game, or at least he would have played well in it.

The research I did this morning supports the idea that the guys that won multiple Super Bowls won their Bowl game.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7754
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 12:26:06 PM   
marty

And Bradshaw won the Rice Bowl, so add him to the list as well.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7755
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 12:37:06 PM   
marty

Bob Griese and Ben Roethlisberger also won Bowl games in college.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7756
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 2:05:16 PM   
fmaltes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

So that he didn't even get to a bowl game is better than losing a bowl game? 🤔

I give up. Probably not worth explaining difference between correlation and causality or multicollinearity.
Post #: 7757
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 2:15:20 PM   
fmaltes

Here are some players that have a realistic chance of being available at 23 and that I would be very happy with the Vikings drafting:

1. Either OG O'Cyrus Torrence--Florida or Steve Avila TCU, both are huge guards that plug up weakness of our interior offensive line.
2. Keeanu Benton--DT from Wisconsin. Run stopper that allows our edge rushers to concentrate on rush upfield.
3. Jordan Addison--WR-USC -may drop because of his size and not having 4.4 speed, but extremely quick.
4. Joey Porter Jr.--CB--would fit well under Flores defensive scheme. Stud man to man cover CB.

And of course Hendon Hooker
Post #: 7758
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 4:37:55 PM   
marty

Fmaltes, my point was that I preferred guys that won their Bowl games, as that might indicate they would perform well in playoff games.

It turns out the evidence backed my point much stronger than I could have imagined. And just about every QB that won multiple Super Bowls, was a QB that won their college Bowl game, when given a chance to play in a Bowl game.

Thank you.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7759
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 4:56:30 PM   
marty

The Bowl games are a one shot deal, just like the NFL playoffs, and it's an indicator how you might perform with all that pressure on.

Had Mahomes not left college early, he probably would have played in a Bowl game, and we now have every indication he would have played well in it.

You can go ahead and define causation, and other similar terms. The point I made here was reinforced well beyond what I expected

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7760
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 4:59:32 PM   
marty

Also, it's interesting that Aaron Rodgers has only won one Super Bowl, and currently has the reputation for being a choker, and he lost in his college Bowl game.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7761
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 5:08:12 PM   
Todd M

Yawn.
Post #: 7762
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 5:20:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

So close to the draft and a psycho has made 15 straight posts about some stupid dam bowl game theory. Duh! I bet they had winning records too! Do you think anyone cares?

STFU!

Block feature coming on... thank god.
Post #: 7763
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 6:01:42 PM   
marty

Welcome back asshole Bill.

To update: someone tried to put down my theory about the relationship between QBs winning their Bowl games and playoff success, and as I dig into it deeper, the evidence supporting my theory was more overwhelming than I had imagined.

Thank you very much.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7764
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 6:37:43 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I will say this going into draft. It is absolutely impossible to predict what the Vikings will do. And assuming they get good value, I am pretty much fine with picking any position at #1, I am also fine with staying where they are, I am fine with moving up, I am fine with moving down.

It’s that kind of year. Though they are coming off a season with a great record, you have to come away with the impression it was a bit of a smoke and mirror job. Great credit to the coaching staff for coaxing an overachieving season, but there are needs everywhere. So a case could be made for everything.

Kwesi does not get high marks for his first draft, even taking into account the #1 pick being hurt. If Cine had been healthy and contributed it still would have been below average top to bottom.

And this year they don’t have many picks to work with, making it even harder to figure out what they’ll do.

In short, I’m completely stumped by this draft, but that will make it interesting I guess.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/27/2023 6:40:12 PM >
Post #: 7765
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 6:46:01 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I will say this going into draft. It is absolutely impossible to predict what the Vikings will do. And assuming they get good value, I am pretty much fine with picking any position at #1, I am also fine with staying where they are, I am fine with moving up, I am fine with moving down.

It’s that kind of year. Though they are coming off a season with a great record, you have to come away with the impression it was a bit of a smoke and mirror job. Great credit to the coaching staff for coaxing an overachieving season, but there are needs everywhere. So a case could be made for everything.

Kwesi does not get high marks for his first draft, even taking into account the #1 pick being hurt. If Cine had been healthy and contributed it still would have been below average top to bottom.

And this year they don’t have many picks to work with, making it even harder to figure out what they’ll do.

In short, I’m completely stumped by this draft, but that will make it interesting I guess.

I'd puke if they picked TE, OT, or RB at #1.
Post #: 7766
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 6:47:27 PM   
Bill Johanesen

NFL with all their goodie-good BS.

Now get out there and hit!
Post #: 7767
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 7:13:57 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

I have to add WR to that list.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7768
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 7:42:14 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

I have to add WR to that list.

Hope you had a bucket handy.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 7769
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 7:44:42 AM  1 votes
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

More wide receivers are not going to make KFC or the offense any better..

Yea we are thin at CB and other places like OL and DL

The last thing we need is a fn WR.

Disagree.

We need a legit #2. JJ can be taken away if there is no reason to fear anyone else. KJ isn't it.

Good call man!
No idea if Addison will be a success or not, but they have theoretically upgraded what Adam Thielen provided last year and should help make D's pay for concentrating too much on JJ.

--twinsfan
Post #: 7770
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 8:08:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Disagree.

We need a legit #2. JJ can be taken away if there is no reason to fear anyone else. KJ isn't it.

Good call man!
No idea if Addison will be a success or not, but they have theoretically upgraded what Adam Thielen provided last year and should help make D's pay for concentrating too much on JJ.

KJ alone would have an upgrade over Thielen. I'll be surprised if Addison steps right into the #2 role. The Vikings had much bigger needs than a #3 WR and there were players on the board to address those needs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7771
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 8:28:37 AM   
kevinemmer

Like Addison
Would’ve rather had Porter
Much bigger need and great value
Post #: 7772
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 9:23:39 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Disagree.

Good call man!

KJ alone would have an upgrade over Thielen. I'll be surprised if Addison steps right into the #2 role. The Vikings had much bigger needs than a #3 WR and there were players on the board to address those needs.

KJ didn't make that much of a flash as the #3 or the #2 when AT was out. He's JAG.

The Vikings wouldn't have taken a WR in the 1st if they thought KJ was an adequate #2.

--twinsfan
Post #: 7773
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 9:31:40 AM  1 votes
bstinger

I'm not even arguing that I know Addison was the best pick. I'm just defending my stance that a WR was a need and the Vikings agreed. I hope they got a good one. I also thought Porter might have made sense there but nobody behind us took him either. They must know something we don't. I'm not excited about Levis or Hooker.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 4/28/2023 11:18:04 AM >

--twinsfan
Post #: 7774
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2023 11:16:25 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

I'm not even arguing that I know Addison was the best pick. I'm just defending my stance that a WR was a need and the Vikings agreed. I hope they got a good one. I also though Porter might have made sense there but nobody behind us took him either. They must know something we don't. I'm not excited about Levis or Hooker.

we lost thielen, and osborn could easily be gone next year - two out of our top three wr's...addison was a good pick....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7775
Page:   <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  309 310 [311] 312 313   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode