Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:00:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF you hired a poor DC, how long do you give him before firing him ?

Kicking 56 yard FG when you have a good punter. Short field made two of Detroit TDS.

Defense will be a work in progress but our best safety and cb were both out.

I don’t remember how many games it has been since we pulled out a game we shouldn’t have won. It has been the other way with Zimmer.

Just who the hell is our best CB !!!

Short field made their TDs!!!

And finally, Detroit lat last year was the last time … !!!

oh never mind.

ridiculous.

Any game observations?

Eff you, I responded to a post. burble your own meaningless observations if you want something that appeals to you.

I'll take that as a NO.

You'd have to read between the lines to get my meaning.

I'm not going to spell it out for you.

How 'bout me? Can you spell it out for me?

IMO we have no idea how good or bad Booth is since he has not played. Its asinine to use it as an excuse for our defense.

IMO starting from their 25 or 35 or 45 is not the reason for DET scoring. Its having a mediocre defense at best. Also IMO a short field would mean less than 50 yards. At the very least, not punting / missing FGs is a different argument … regardless, it made it easier - it does not equate to the other team scoring. Unless your defense is really bad.

IMO beating DET last year as time expired (after DET scored with 37 sec) is exactly when that happened under Zimmer. Last year!

If a punter pins them inside their 10 or even 20. Their odds of scoring are the same as starting from their 46?

Joseph can hit from that distance and longer; there's no reason to pass on field goals there other than to go for it on 4th. A touchback, which is a likely outcome as well, or a decent return makes the net field position gain negligible. The FG was the right call both times, and will be the call in the future unless they go for it.

56 isn't a short FG; the field position would have been better to go for it than to try kicking it. 7 yards difference because Detroit gets the ball from where the kick was attempted.

Our Punter and our Kicker have been good so it is a good question to ask.....as good as the special teams have played those two missed FG did factor in.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/26/2022 9:11:50 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 776
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:13:39 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF you hired a poor DC, how long do you give him before firing him ?

Kicking 56 yard FG when you have a good punter. Short field made two of Detroit TDS.

Defense will be a work in progress but our best safety and cb were both out.

I don’t remember how many games it has been since we pulled out a game we shouldn’t have won. It has been the other way with Zimmer.

Just who the hell is our best CB !!!

Short field made their TDs!!!

And finally, Detroit lat last year was the last time … !!!

oh never mind.

ridiculous.

Any game observations?

Eff you, I responded to a post. burble your own meaningless observations if you want something that appeals to you.

I'll take that as a NO.

You'd have to read between the lines to get my meaning.

I'm not going to spell it out for you.

How 'bout me? Can you spell it out for me?

IMO we have no idea how good or bad Booth is since he has not played. Its asinine to use it as an excuse for our defense.

IMO starting from their 25 or 35 or 45 is not the reason for DET scoring. Its having a mediocre defense at best. Also IMO a short field would mean less than 50 yards. At the very least, not punting / missing FGs is a different argument … regardless, it made it easier - it does not equate to the other team scoring. Unless your defense is really bad.

IMO beating DET last year as time expired (after DET scored with 37 sec) is exactly when that happened under Zimmer. Last year!

If a punter pins them inside their 10 or even 20. Their odds of scoring are the same as starting from their 46?

If he can hit a 20 yarder right away, of course - see it all the time, especially when keeping the ball in front of them seems to be the objective ;)
Post #: 777
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:18:47 AM   
Ricky J

I'm disappointed about some things regarding our OB as well - especially the three 3rd down short throws with coverage all over their ass in Phil.

And I expect all the neg responses this will bring, but it is what it is ....

However, it is early, and we are 2-1, not 1-2 ... gotta take it!

Tanner Weber - Purple Post
@Purple_Post
·
13h
Kirk Cousins (15) now has as many career 4th Quarter Comebacks as the following...

- Troy Aikman
- Terry Bradshaw
- Len Dawson
- Trent Green
- Jim Harbaugh
- Matt Hasselbeck
- Tommy Kramer
- Steve McNair
- Joe Namath

Some pretty good company.
Post #: 778
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:24:42 AM   
Brad H

Props where props are due. Kirk Cousins finally did something in the final two minutes of a half.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 779
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:43:45 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

Eddie sucks!! Why is this fool our DC. We can't stop the run because our safeties our 42 yards off the ball. Thank god, people are not getting behind them..

Cine doesn't see the field? oh yeah, he likes to play up and hit someone before they consume 15 yards.

What happened to JJ running free? Cupp?

Second half, them seemed to play coverage tighter, but this scheme is really, really bad. Gramps has to go!!!

< Message edited by geoffrey greitzer -- 9/26/2022 9:45:18 AM >
Post #: 780
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 9:54:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

If he can’t beat bump coverage at the line.. he needs to STFU about being sooooo great…

If all it takes is a close line cover/ disrupt, and a safety over the top, you are not a GOAT in the making.

Put up or Shut up, JJ.

His primary contribution right now is allowing other receivers to get single coverage and force KC to look elsewhere for yards.

it seemed that when we made thielen and then osborn the primary targets we really started to move the ball...why did it take so long for o'connell to recognize that they were over-covering jefferson?...notice that it was mike hughes covering osborn on the winning touchdown?....

o'connell should start the next few games looking off jefferson - force them to cover our other dynamic receivers and then get jeff involved when things losen up....

also, we should use chandler as a change of pase running back - right now, he's our quickest runner out of the backfield....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 781
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:01:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

Eddie sucks!! Why is this fool our DC. We can't stop the run because our safeties our 42 yards off the ball. Thank god, people are not getting behind them..

Cine doesn't see the field? oh yeah, he likes to play up and hit someone before they consume 15 yards.

Second half, them seemed to play coverage tighter, but this scheme is really, really bad. Gramps has to go!!!

Between Smith and Hunter I was expecting to see far more pressure. Smith seems more effective coming from the inside. Hunter has been MIA

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 782
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:03:43 AM   
David F.

We had no business winning that game yesterday yet we did. The game played out in the opposite fashion as a typical game from last season. We gave up no points at the end of halves and instead of squandering double-digit leads we overcame two of them. There were a lot of negatives in yesterday's performance but game-management was a strength. If our coaches can learn throughout this season we could be in for a nice surprise.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 783
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:05:04 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Between Smith and Hunter I was expecting to see far more pressure. Smith seems more effective coming from the inside. Hunter has been MIA

Detroit and Philly have elite offensive lines. Watch for production to hit an upswing when we face some lesser-talented lines.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 784
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:05:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

One heady play Kirky made was a screen set up for Matty but was easily sniffed out so he threw it to Ham who was the lead blocker and it netted a nice gain.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 785
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:13:25 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

No one plays safeties so far back. Its ridiculous!! Giving DL zero help.

defense should dictate, not just hide and try not to get burned. I know at times it has to, but to always start the game like that??
Post #: 786
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:17:42 AM   
geoffrey greitzer

63% Hurts yesterday completion rate

85% vs. Vikings

51% first game against Lions.

This is a major problem. GB always blows on first game of season.
Post #: 787
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:20:05 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

We had no business winning that game yesterday yet we did. The game played out in the opposite fashion as a typical game from last season. We gave up no points at the end of halves and instead of squandering double-digit leads we overcame two of them. There were a lot of negatives in yesterday's performance but game-management was a strength. If our coaches can learn throughout this season we could be in for a nice surprise.

I was in my truck watching the gamecast and said to my son, I'm not sure if I'm full of it bc it's gamecast, but it seems like game mgn was a plus here.
Post #: 788
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:23:29 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

My $0.02:

It was a win!

Nice comeback - great pass to Osborn.

Cousins needs to trust WR more and throw into tight windows and not wait for guys to get wide open.

We need more pass rush. This 4-man rush is not getting it done.

ST are much improved (even with the FG misses).

Thielen was mugged on that play late. Don't know why the ref held the flag on that one.

Not getting enough time to clock it before half was BS.

Not much else to say. Final was about what I expected, although I thought we would have been ahead for more of the game!

For the same reason as Packer games. You can't call them all.
Post #: 789
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:34:01 AM   
David F.

Ryan Boser
@Ryan_Boser
·
35s
Through 3 weeks:

Irv: 7/68/1
Conklin: 18/138/1

Post #: 790
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:39:43 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

They're dropping Hunter into pass protection at times, which I hate. Passing situations, I want Hunter rushing the passer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 791
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 10:45:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
·
1h
While Ben Ellefson was a surprise starter for the #Vikings, he played the least number of snaps of the three tight ends Sunday vs. Detroit. He got in for 13 snaps. Irv Smith Jr. played 37 and Johnny Mundt 28.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 792
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:03:55 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Mundt by the eye test seems like EASILY our best TE.
Post #: 793
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:09:10 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Oh and i hate having the dumb London game. At least it's considered an away game. I'm actually surprised by that.
Post #: 794
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:11:45 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

Mundt by the eye test seems like EASILY our best TE.

Yesterday:

Ellefson, 2 catches on two targets.
Mundt, 2 catches on two targets.
Smith Jr, 2 catches on six targets.
Post #: 795
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:19:17 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Season:

Ellefson, 3 catches on 3 targets.
Mundt, 7 catches on 8 targets.
Smith Jr, 7 catches on 16 targets.

Smith's stats stand out... in a bad way.

Mundt is second on the team in YAC.
Post #: 796
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:23:23 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

I'm disappointed about some things regarding our OB as well - especially the three 3rd down short throws with coverage all over their ass in Phil.

@Purple_Post
·
13h
Kirk Cousins (15) now has as many career 4th Quarter Comebacks as the following...

- Troy Aikman
- Terry Bradshaw
- Len Dawson
- Trent Green
- Jim Harbaugh
- Matt Hasselbeck
- Tommy Kramer
- Steve McNair
- Joe Namath

Yup although still trailing Cam Newton, Jon Kitna, Alex Smith, Jake Delhomme, Jay Cutler, and Andy Dalton.
Post #: 797
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:29:18 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Props where props are due. Kirk Cousins finally did something in the final two minutes of a half.

How generous of you.

He's had 15 fourth-quarter game-winning drives.

Feeble as usual.
Post #: 798
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:31:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

They're dropping Hunter into pass protection at times, which I hate. Passing situations, I want Hunter rushing the passer.

I disagree, Hunter may be our best CB.
Post #: 799
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 11:36:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

@Purple_Post
·
13h

- Troy Aikman
- Terry Bradshaw
- Len Dawson
- Trent Green
- Jim Harbaugh
- Matt Hasselbeck
- Tommy Kramer
- Steve McNair
- Joe Namath

Yup although still trailing Cam Newton, Jon Kitna, Alex Smith, Jake Delhomme, Jay Cutler, and Andy Dalton.

He's tied for 64th to 77th all-time. Seems to be a stat not worth mentioning.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/26/2022 11:45:55 AM >
Post #: 800
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode