Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:09:12 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h
#Vikings top PFF grades vs. Lions, offensive players (min. 10 snaps)

Ben Ellefson: 93.1
Christian Darrisaw: 89.4
Johnny Mundt: 81.4
K.J. Osborn: 78.3
Garrett Bradbury: 77.8
Adam Thielen: 77.0
Kirk Cousins: 76.6
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h
#Vikings top PFF grades vs. Lions, defensive players (min. 10 snaps)

Danielle Hunter: 83.9
Josh Metellus: 82.7
Za'Darius Smith: 82.7
Dalvin Tomlinson: 76.7
Jordan Hicks: 74.3

Ellefson's agent should be on the phone with Queasy

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:21:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Vikings look smallish (Hunter listed at just 240?) so they get gouged in the run AND they are not close to receivers so they are not using their presumed speed either.

I hope they figure it out...maybe we will see more of Cine, Booth, and Asamoah going forward.

Early defensive stats:

Allowing 138 ypg rushing (25th) at 4.8 ypc (22nd). 5 TDs (31st).

Passing wise, allowing 7.4 ypa (29th). 69.4 completion percentage (28th). 2 pass TDs (tied for 1st with several teams).

You are obviously cherry picking from the Missed FG Team Defense Stats.

Our defense is actually much stouter after we kickoff, fumble or throw an interception.
Post #: 827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:30:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Vikings look smallish (Hunter listed at just 240?) so they get gouged in the run AND they are not close to receivers so they are not using their presumed speed either.

I hope they figure it out...maybe we will see more of Cine, Booth, and Asamoah going forward.

Early defensive stats:

Passing wise, allowing 7.4 ypa (29th). 69.4 completion percentage (28th). 2 pass TDs (tied for 1st with several teams).

Tied for 10th in the league in scoring defense despite playing the 3rd, 5th and 27th highest scoring teams. Said teams have cumulatively scored 29.5 ppg vs the rest of the league, 18.3 ppg vs. Vikings.
Post #: 828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:32:14 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

Eddie sucks!! Why is this fool our DC. We can't stop the run because our safeties our 42 yards off the ball. Thank god, people are not getting behind them..

Cine doesn't see the field? oh yeah, he likes to play up and hit someone before they consume 15 yards.

What happened to JJ running free? Cupp?

Second half, them seemed to play coverage tighter, but this scheme is really, really bad. Gramps has to go!!!

Between Smith and Hunter I was expecting to see far more pressure. Smith seems more effective coming from the inside. Hunter has been MIA

They're dropping Hunter into pass protection at times, which I hate. Passing situations, I want Hunter rushing the passer.

Only linebackers that can edge Rush can play in a 3-4 defense, It doesn’t work for DE’s.

Seems both Smith and Hunter do better rushing the passer with their hand in the dirt.

I agree with Hunter; not Smith. He should be the rover; not a hand in the dirt. Did you watch the last play when Smith came up the A gap? That is where he succeeds. ZED actually can cover if needed also.

Completely agree about Z Smith being a rover... he has been the most consistent pressure and does better when picking his spot to rush from (from my eye test)...

Don't know about how good he is in coverage... can't say I've seen him break up anything yet.

Don't know what to do with Hunter either... seemed like he was a lot more effective rushing from this end spot.
Post #: 829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:49:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Early defensive stats:

Tied for 10th in the league in scoring defense despite playing the 3rd, 5th and 27th highest scoring teams. Said teams have cumulatively scored 29.5 ppg vs the rest of the league, 18.3 ppg vs. Vikings.

10th is no grand achievement cause that pesky 27th "highest scoring" team gets in the way.

Like I said, early returns.
Post #: 830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:52:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF you hired a poor DC, how long do you give him before firing him ?

Kicking 56 yard FG when you have a good punter. Short field made two of Detroit TDS.

Defense will be a work in progress but our best safety and cb were both out.

I don’t remember how many games it has been since we pulled out a game we shouldn’t have won. It has been the other way with Zimmer.

Just who the hell is our best CB !!!

Short field made their TDs!!!

And finally, Detroit lat last year was the last time … !!!

oh never mind.

ridiculous.

Any game observations?

Eff you, I responded to a post. burble your own meaningless observations if you want something that appeals to you.

I'll take that as a NO.

You'd have to read between the lines to get my meaning.

I'm not going to spell it out for you.

How 'bout me? Can you spell it out for me?

IMO we have no idea how good or bad Booth is since he has not played. Its asinine to use it as an excuse for our defense.

IMO starting from their 25 or 35 or 45 is not the reason for DET scoring. Its having a mediocre defense at best. Also IMO a short field would mean less than 50 yards. At the very least, not punting / missing FGs is a different argument … regardless, it made it easier - it does not equate to the other team scoring. Unless your defense is really bad.

IMO beating DET last year as time expired (after DET scored with 37 sec) is exactly when that happened under Zimmer. Last year!

If a punter pins them inside their 10 or even 20. Their odds of scoring are the same as starting from their 46?

Did I say or suggest that? No.

Kicking it, going for it or punting it all have their arguments in long field goal situations. Going for three or possibly giving them better field position is only one consideration.

Choosing to kick the field goal, missing it and giving the ball to DET on our side of the field does not 'make' (your word) or generate or produce or spawn TDs for the other team. It makes it easier for them, yes.

So Exclamations mean?

Starting from own 45 improves it one series of downs so it went from around 35.7% chance of scoring a TD instead of 25% at the 28 or 18% at the 11 yard line.

Detroit only scored 3 TDs; two of them were on shorter fields.

FYI

if you are arguing that improving the other team's chances of scoring from 18 or whatever % to 35.7% (wholly ridiculous numbers to begin with) is the same thing as making or giving them TDs ... you'd be wrong but you'd get little bronze stars for stubbornness against all odds ...

if you don't think 35.7% is the same thing as a guarantee of scoring TDs ...

you would be arguing my point for me.

So we double their chance of scoring a TD and it is arguing your point for you....gotcha.

I know Zimmer is gone but Field position is important.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 1:59:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

So we double their chance of scoring a TD and it is arguing your point for you....gotcha.

You'd have to understand my point to really see the humor.

Onward.
Post #: 832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:10:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

You'd have to understand my point to really see the humor.

Onward.

It didn't seem like humor to me on your first response. Seems like your claiming it is your weird sense of humor (after the fact). Onward.

Post #: 833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:13:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Early defensive stats:

10th is no grand achievement cause that pesky 27th "highest scoring" team gets in the way.

Might be ST.

Post #: 834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:23:31 PM   
beo

I'd say the defense certainly has a long way to go... but...

Vikes defense has allowed zero 4th quarter points so far.

I wouldn't mind seeing that continue.
Post #: 835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:28:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Early defensive stats:

quote:

Said teams have cumulatively scored 29.5 ppg vs the rest of the league, 18.3 ppg vs. Vikings.

The 27th highest scoring team has scored 21.5 ppg against the rest of the league, 7.0 ppg against the Vikes.

Early returns, sure.
Post #: 836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:31:03 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

i wonder what metellus's score would be without the end of game interception...i think he's developed into a solid player, and next year could contend for a starting position....

safety could be our deepest position on defense....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:43:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Eddie sucks!! Why is this fool our DC. We can't stop the run because our safeties our 42 yards off the ball. Thank god, people are not getting behind them..

Cine doesn't see the field? oh yeah, he likes to play up and hit someone before they consume 15 yards.

Second half, them seemed to play coverage tighter, but this scheme is really, really bad. Gramps has to go!!!

Between Smith and Hunter I was expecting to see far more pressure. Smith seems more effective coming from the inside. Hunter has been MIA

They're dropping Hunter into pass protection at times, which I hate. Passing situations, I want Hunter rushing the passer.

Only linebackers that can edge Rush can play in a 3-4 defense, It doesn’t work for DE’s.

Seems both Smith and Hunter do better rushing the passer with their hand in the dirt.

I agree with Hunter; not Smith. He should be the rover; not a hand in the dirt. Did you watch the last play when Smith came up the A gap? That is where he succeeds. ZED actually can cover if needed also.

Completely agree about Z Smith being a rover... he has been the most consistent pressure and does better when picking his spot to rush from (from my eye test)...

Don't know about how good he is in coverage... can't say I've seen him break up anything yet.

Don't know what to do with Hunter either... seemed like he was a lot more effective rushing from this end spot.

I'd almost like to see them go back to the 4-3, with Hunter as full time DE, and ZED in more of a Lance Johnstone type role, situational pass rush rotational guy, a guy who can put up double digit sacks, and also play the run IF you keep him fresh. I don't like either of those guys in pass coverage, except for the occasional tricky drop back to cover for blitzers.
Post #: 838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 2:45:15 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

i wonder what metellus's score would be without the end of game interception...i think he's developed into a solid player, and next year could contend for a starting position....

It probably was NOT helped by him dropping the potential end of game interception on the previous play...
Post #: 839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 3:26:45 PM   
Trekgeekscott

My 2 cents

An Ugly win is a win.

We only led the game for 45 seconds of game time all day. but it was the most important 45 seconds.

Campbell even thinks he made a mistake going for the FG. I don't. Even though we got the TD we didn't NEED it. We were more relaxed with less pressure as we were well withing FG range to tie. If they Lions make that FG they then kick off, if smart they squib it forcing time off the clock and we get far shittier field position needing to score a TD to win or straight up lose. As the pressure rises Cousins fades. Good chance we lose if they hit that FG

About time they started to realize if the rest of the league is going to gameplan to take JJ out of the game then you need to start making them pay by going to Theilen and Osborn more. make the other defeneses honest and things will start to open up for JJ again.

Defense keeps leaving a big open area in the middle of the field. they need to tighten that shit up.

I was convinced we were going to lose when they had the penalty give the Lions a first down and we had no time outs.

Leaving Theilen in to block is just ****ing stupid.

That's all I have for today

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 3:40:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h

It probably was NOT helped by him dropping the potential end of game interception on the previous play...

Actually I think that one does help his score as it is recorded as a pass defended/breakup.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 3:40:47 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd almost like to see them go back to the 4-3, with Hunter as full time DE, and ZED in more of a Lance Johnstone type role, situational pass rush rotational guy, a guy who can put up double digit sacks, and also play the run IF you keep him fresh. I don't like either of those guys in pass coverage, except for the occasional tricky drop back to cover for blitzers.

I like the 3-4 scheme...but you need the right players to play it. Seems like Pittsburgh was always able to find two good run stuffing DE's to go with a fat guy in the middle. Then they find all these tweeners to run at OLB. I am not sure Hunter and Zadarius have the skills to play that OLB position in the 3-4. Maybe Osamoah could do it? Barr in his prime would have been good. Don't these OLB's have to be able to cover? The middle is open because those OLB have trouble in coverage AND the safeties are just too far back. Hopefully the pass rush improves which might help guys in coverage.
Post #: 842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 4:20:00 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like the 3-4 scheme...but you need the right players to play it. Seems like Pittsburgh was always able to find two good run stuffing DE's to go with a fat guy in the middle. Then they find all these tweeners to run at OLB. I am not sure Hunter and Zadarius have the skills to play that OLB position in the 3-4. Maybe Osamoah could do it? Barr in his prime would have been good. Don't these OLB's have to be able to cover? The middle is open because those OLB have trouble in coverage AND the safeties are just too far back. Hopefully the pass rush improves which might help guys in coverage.

Barr staying healthy is a problem. The best thing is that Hicks and Kendricks seem to be the right kind of MLB. I read a great suggestion of signing a real fatty; like Joseph then having Dalvin and Phillips as the DE. Dalvin and Phillips seem really good against the run.

Osamoah looks so fast on ST; not sure when it will translate but boy can he he fly.

Post #: 843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 5:05:40 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Move the **** on from Barr.

He is done.

We are gonna need more, better players to fit a long term commitment to a 3-4.

We are still getting gashed at 4.7 YPA, in run defense.

We are giving up 7.4 YPA, in pass defense, allowing 69.4% completion percentage.

That sucks.. therefor, the defense, sucks.

Our outside DT are not a good fit.

Our linebackers are not the best fit.

It’s a work in progress, it needs to improve and that’s on Donatello, his scheme, his failure.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 5:50:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

My 2 cents

An Ugly win is a win.

We only led the game for 45 seconds of game time all day. but it was the most important 45 seconds.

Campbell even thinks he made a mistake going for the FG. I don't. Even though we got the TD we didn't NEED it. We were more relaxed with less pressure as we were well withing FG range to tie. If they Lions make that FG they then kick off,

Apparently the Lions PK only makes about 50% of FGs 40+ yards, so a 54 yarder would seem problematic.
Post #: 845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 6:32:34 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

My 2 cents

An Ugly win is a win.

Campbell even thinks he made a mistake going for the FG. I don't. Even though we got the TD we didn't NEED it. We were more relaxed with less pressure as we were well withing FG range to tie. If they Lions make that FG they then kick off,

Apparently the Lions PK only makes about 50% of FGs 40+ yards, so a 54 yarder would seem problematic.

... early returns of course. ;)
Post #: 846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 6:58:42 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Move the **** on from Barr.

He is done.

We are gonna need more, better players to fit a long term commitment to a 3-4.

We are still getting gashed at 4.7 YPA, in run defense.

We are giving up 7.4 YPA, in pass defense, allowing 69.4% completion percentage.

That sucks.. therefor, the defense, sucks.

Our outside DT are not a good fit.

Our linebackers are not the best fit.

It’s a work in progress, it needs to improve and that’s on Donatello, his scheme, his failure.

Post #: 847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 7:49:56 PM   
Ricky J

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
**Minnesota OL PFF grades through Week 3**
Run block: 4th
Pass block: 15th
Bradbury: 6th center
O’Neil: 13th tackle
Darrisaw: 15th tackle
Cleveland: 21st guard
Ingram: 51st guard
Staggering improvement from OL coach Chris Kuper.
Post #: 848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 8:20:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

My 2 cents

An Ugly win is a win.

Just couldn't wait to get a barb in... even if it was a weak ass one.
Post #: 849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2022 8:53:18 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My 2 cents

An Ugly win is a win.

Just couldn't wait to get a barb in... even if it was a weak ass one.

speaking of barb - your reference to barb & mike was as weak ass as they come.

And then you go to Mount Rushmore to divert ...

Speaking of Mount Rushmore, you're on there Bill. Biggest jerks ever to post on Talk Vikes.

Badass Bullying Billy - B3

What do you get out of being a total ass every time you come in here? Seriously, how can your behavior make you feel good as a person? No conscience at all?
Post #: 850
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode