Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2022 11:04:37 PM   
Steve Lentz

Tyler Linderbaum stays clean in pass protection: The rookie center gave up no pressure across 34 pass-blocking snaps in another solid effort for the Baltimore Ravens.

I liked this guy. Was hoping the Vikes got him.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1076
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2022 11:42:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The Puke is still a strong team, they are one of the 5 top of the NFC: the Puke, Eagles, Rams and Bucs and 49ers.

The Vikings are the next level, a wildcard team. Arizona and Dallas hover in about the same area.

STFU putting them in the top tier. I'm so sick of it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1077
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 2:15:51 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2022

QUOTE: What to know: The Vikings are 3-1 even though their offense and defense, overhauled in the transition to new coach Kevin O'Connell, are very much works in progress. Sunday's game in London was won by their special teams -- place-kicker Greg Joseph kicked five field goals, including what proved to be the game winner from 47 yards out -- and was sealed only when Saints place-kicker Will Lutz hit the upright and crossbar from 61 yards away. Meanwhile, the offense has been disjointed and has struggled to get snaps off before the play clock. And the defense has given up huge chunks of yards at inopportune times.

Is quarterback Kirk Cousins going to be able to sharpen up in this offense? Cousins had a decent line Sunday, completing 25 of 38 passes for 273 yards, and made the key pass in the game to set up the game-winning field goal. But he missed receiver Justin Jefferson open twice in the end zone and has looked uncomfortable in the pocket in this new scheme. -- Kevin Seifert

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34685588/nfl-week-4-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks

cousins was roughed-up plenty, even when he wasn't getting sacked...the vikes were far from dominant, but came up big when it counted...we are a work in progress...victories like the last two could give us a home game in the postseason....

if we converted back to a 4-3 defense i believe it would immediately pay dividends - we could play asamoah as an olb and it would strengthen our defensive tackle position by giving us more depth...i don't think hunter is comfortable as an olb edge rusher - and he's possibly our best player on defense....

i can see the vikes letting cook go and extending mattison on a 3yr/10mm contract this offseason....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1078
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 2:24:18 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Green Bay is not a good team this year. The NFC is not that strong this year.

Yeah, lots to clean up but this team can get better and go places this year.

My humble opinion

Not a Cousins fan but he is the horse for this race

This year

I agree. Its wide open ...

not even sure we have to get a lot better ... at least against the division.

8 or 9 games might win the nfc north this year.

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

sure why not. who’s a good team in our division that looks like a 10-11 game winner?

maybe us with a lot of improvement but we are not playing like that now.
Post #: 1079
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 4:32:27 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Gezuz Tom,

For once can we win the division outright by sweeping the division opposition?

The Puke have won 10 or more games in 9 of the last 12 seasons.

So yea, by gift, sway, or luck and talent, there needs to be at least 10 wins, to win this division, and I want it to be The Vikings.

It going to be difficult to get the #2 seed in our conference.

We practically Have to beat the Cardinals and Cowboys to have a shot at the #2 seed, because the Eagles are looking pretty damn good as the #1 seed in the NFC.

The only thing helping us is the east has to play out their round robin amongst themselves, but If Philadelphia sweeps the East, they are a lock for Seeding in the top 2 at least.

We have yet to play an AFC team, and we have Five teams in the AFC on our Schedule, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, and Colts.

We are “lucky” that we have Detroit and Chicago in our division, but needing to come from behind against the lions, at home, was not a good look.

Backing into the playoffs with a near .500 record is how you see this season going?

This team is a hot mess on defense, and the Aints, beat up as they were, exposed our offensive line, yet again, as the forever and always, weakness that can shut us down.

If KC keeps getting hit, his current happy feet throws, duck and chuck, will get worse.

I don’t know what football by the Vikings you are watching, but what I’m seeing is a team, not ready for prime time, or playoffs.

It’s year one in the new regime, and I am happy to be at 3-1, but TBH, settling for Field Goals, in the redZone, will not win a wild Card game with this defense.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 10/3/2022 4:46:10 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1080
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 5:19:43 AM   
ratoppenheimer

we're not playoff ready, but we've shown that we can score when we have to...how many teams this year have a first-year head coach and signal caller?....

only one player in NFL history has hit two 60-yard field goals in one game - jake elliot, eagles, 2017 against the giants....

the saints got to London early in the week and got their biological clocks in order...jetlag is a real thing and has actual physical and psychological effects....

the last time that dalton started a regular season nfl game was against the vikings - game 17 last year, and he beat us the year before that...i wonder if any quarterback in history has ever played against the same team three years in a row, but for different teams - it happened yesterday....

Post #: 1081
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 5:23:31 AM   
Todd M

I agree...not ready for prime time or playoffs.

I know I'm a bit of a goof in the off season dreaming dept but they are not passing the eye test...the last 3 weeks anyway.
Post #: 1082
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 5:59:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I know I'm a bit of a goof in the off season dreaming dept but they are not passing the eye test...the last 3 weeks anyway.

we won the time of possession and first downs battle....

we're winning the 'middle 8' of the game battles - a game management theory developed by bill belichick - a scoring and psychological edge goes to the team that wins the final four minutes of the first half, and the first four minutes of the second half...and we've scored the final points in three out of four games this year...that's why we want the ball to start the second half - so we can control this part of the game...o'connell has bought into this theory, and it seems to be working for him....

Post #: 1083
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 6:05:57 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

we're winning the 'middle 8' of the game battles - a game management theory developed by bill belichick - a scoring and psychological edge goes to the team that wins the final four minutes of the first half, and the first four minutes of the second half...and we've scored the final points in three out of four games this year...that's why we want the ball to start the second half - so we can control this part of the game...o'connell has bought into this theory, and it seems to be working for him....

As much as I love that we're 3-1, we beat 2 pretty bad football teams. I don't like that we've neutralized Hunter doing our opponents a huge favor. The run d is pathetic. Cousins has huge stretches of doing nothing but at least is making throws in the clutch. I know we're a work in progress but certain things seem unlikely to improve without a shift in philosophy.
Post #: 1084
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 7:01:04 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Kirk still made some great throws, and some of his weaknesses can be masked.

His weaknesses can't be masked. That's why he is Kirk Cousins. He's always had the arm strength and accuracy. Throwing has never been his problem. Cousins' problems have always been a lack of mobility, pocket presence and decision making. You can't mask those things during crunch time. At 11 years in the league, you either have them or you don't.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 10/3/2022 7:05:41 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1085
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:24:21 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Going in, Saints were last (?) in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage so we should have won the first down battle.

4-13 vs Atl
4-13 vs TB
5-13 vs Caro
4-10 vs Minn

Interesting middle 8 theory.

Edit: The Saints info didn't look right so I checked. Including the London game, NO is 24th in converting 3rd downs. Minnesota is.... 28th.

BTW, the Saints had 19 first downs rushing and passing, we had 18. We also had 5 FD by penalty and didn't give them any.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 10/3/2022 8:49:07 AM >
Post #: 1086
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:28:04 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

QUOTE: What to know: The Vikings are 3-1 even though their offense and defense, overhauled in the transition to new coach Kevin O'Connell, are very much works in progress. Sunday's game in London was won by their special teams -- place-kicker Greg Joseph kicked five field goals, including what proved to be the game winner from 47 yards out -- and was sealed only when Saints place-kicker Will Lutz hit the upright and crossbar from 61 yards away. Meanwhile, the offense has been disjointed and has struggled to get snaps off before the play clock. And the defense has given up huge chunks of yards at inopportune times.

Is quarterback Kirk Cousins going to be able to sharpen up in this offense? Cousins had a decent line Sunday, completing 25 of 38 passes for 273 yards, and made the key pass in the game to set up the game-winning field goal. But he missed receiver Justin Jefferson open twice in the end zone and has looked uncomfortable in the pocket in this new scheme. -- Kevin Seifert

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34685588/nfl-week-4-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks

cousins was roughed-up plenty, even when he wasn't getting sacked...the vikes were far from dominant, but came up big when it counted...we are a work in progress...victories like the last two could give us a home game in the postseason....

if we converted back to a 4-3 defense i believe it would immediately pay dividends - we could play asamoah as an olb and it would strengthen our defensive tackle position by giving us more depth...i don't think hunter is comfortable as an olb edge rusher - and he's possibly our best player on defense....

i can see the vikes letting cook go and extending mattison on a 3yr/10mm contract this offseason....

I agree on the 4-3. I'm not a against changing the a 3-4 or mixing in a little from time to time, but it doesn't match our players strengths right now. I'd like to see Asamoah's speed on the field more too.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1087
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:36:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

I agree on the 4-3. I'm not a against changing the a 3-4 or mixing in a little from time to time, but it doesn't match our players strengths right now. I'd like to see Asamoah's speed on the field more too.

The big key to going 3-4 is stopping the run; it seems to be doing the reverse.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1088
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:48:27 AM   
Pauldiercks1

Defense- frustrating lack of pressure on the opposing QB
Offense - The O-line still is terrible against a quality d-line

Hopefully some things get worked out but we are not a good team at all right now. 3-1 but I'd say closer to rebuilding than contending.
Post #: 1089
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:55:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

We are tied with Atlanta as the least penalized team (4 per game which is about half of the most penalized teams).

7th in opponent penalties per game (6.8). Seems like the Lions and Saints set some records for secondary penalties against us.
Post #: 1090
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 8:57:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

The big key to going 3-4 is stopping the run; it seems to be doing the reverse.

4.6 ypc (17th).

2021: 4.7 ypc (31st)

28th in opponent rushes for 1st down.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 10/3/2022 9:11:35 AM >
Post #: 1091
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:09:03 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It should be no surprise the 3-4 is questionable at best. Even in the offseason a few of us here kept outlining position by position. Summed up, it boiled down to a hope and a prayer.

It appears most of the DL and even Za can be cut w/o mammoth cap implications. Who knows what they'll continue to do with Dead Cap ($17M) Hunter beyond 2023.

But then it's back to finding the personnel.
Post #: 1092
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:25:28 AM   
David F.

I read that Kirk cousins is 3-1 for the first time in his career. In his career?!?? Four games in - how’s he coming along on that MVP award?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1093
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:29:20 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I read that Kirk cousins is 3-1 for the first time in his career. In his career?!?? Four games in - how’s he coming along on that MVP award?

He is currently 20th and 21st in the league in QB Rating (depending on what resource you use). The Vikings are winning despite his awful play. That's how I would sum it up.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1094
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:35:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

He is currently 20th and 21st in the league in QB Rating (depending on what resource you use). The Vikings are winning despite his awful play. That's how I would sum it up.

He has had 2 passes (Mundt and Smith) dropped for TDs.

The two poor passes I saw yesterday was the late throw int to Smith on the sideline and the short throw to Thielen instead of Jefferson in the back corner of the end zone.

He has done enough to win. He moved us at end of each half again.

I also watched Mahomes play lousy against Indy Week 3.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/3/2022 9:39:06 AM >

Post #: 1095
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:37:23 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

He's had some rough stretches against bad teams. I'm interested to see if he can be clutch against the better teams. History isn't in his favor.
Post #: 1096
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:38:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

cousins has always been a player whose stats and QB ratings masked the fact that he couldn't win games, now he's getting slammed for winning, but the stats aren't there...maybe he's a quarterback that can never have both...i prefer the game-winner to the stat guy....

just win, baby....

Post #: 1097
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:40:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

cousins has always been a player whose stats and QB ratings masked the fact that he couldn't win games, now he's getting slammed for winning, but the stats aren't there...maybe he's a quarterback that can never have both...i prefer the game-winner to the stat guy....

just win, baby....

The team and coaching hasn't been as good as it is this year. If KOC was the coach last year we would have had at least 10 wins. He would have never authorized signing Alexander and Breeland for one thing.

Post #: 1098
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:40:38 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

just win, baby....

He's been able to bring us back against the Lions in the past. Can he do it against better competition? I hope so. I wouldn't bet on it.
Post #: 1099
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:42:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

just win, baby....

He's been able to bring us back against the Lions in the past. Can he do it against better competition? I hope so. I wouldn't bet on it.

Weird thing in the NFL....all teams are pretty good. Jacksonville is a scary team; they had Philly on the ropes for a while. NE w/o a QB had GB on the ropes.

We one one blowout, lost one blowout, won two close games....that is coaching.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/3/2022 9:43:20 AM >

Post #: 1100
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode