Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:44:04 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

cousins has always been a player whose stats and QB ratings masked the fact that he couldn't win games, now he's getting slammed for winning, but the stats aren't there...maybe he's a quarterback that can never have both...i prefer the game-winner to the stat guy....

just win, baby....

He's been able to bring us back against the Lions in the past. Can he do it against better competition? I hope so. I wouldn't bet on it.

Weird thing in the NFL....all teams are pretty good. Jacksonville is a scary team; they had Philly on the ropes for a while.

NE w/o a QB had GB on the ropes.

No doubt Phil. We have as get a shot as anyone. Hopefully we can shore some things up.
Post #: 1101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:46:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

cousins has always been a player whose stats and QB ratings masked the fact that he couldn't win games, now he's getting slammed for winning, but the stats aren't there...maybe he's a quarterback that can never have both...i prefer the game-winner to the stat guy....

just win, baby....

He's been able to bring us back against the Lions in the past. Can he do it against better competition? I hope so. I wouldn't bet on it.

Weird thing in the NFL....all teams are pretty good. Jacksonville is a scary team; they had Philly on the ropes for a while.

NE w/o a QB had GB on the ropes.

No doubt Phil. We have as get a shot as anyone. Hopefully we can shore some things up.

I am amazed LA Raiders are 1-3. Brad would you rather have Derek Carr at QB?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:47:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

just win, baby....

Weird thing in the NFL....all teams are pretty good. Jacksonville is a scary team; they had Philly on the ropes for a while. NE w/o a QB had GB on the ropes.

We one one blowout, lost one blowout, won two close games....that is coaching.

We won close games against two squads that won't be in the post-season. Weeks 6-11 are going to tell us where this team is at. That's the toughest stretch of the schedule. So far we have played one good football team, and got our asses kicked by them.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:47:57 AM   
Todd M

Kirk is not elite. I wish we had a top 2 or 3 guy bc it gives you an advantage. You get more chances at a ring bc your hats always in the pot.

But any more it takes a mix of luck and skill, intelligence/scheming, adaptivenes, and chemistry to win it all.

An elite QB can cover your warts but you can win a lot of other ways. Yes with him.

Not this year though.
Post #: 1104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:51:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

just win, baby....

Weird thing in the NFL....all teams are pretty good. Jacksonville is a scary team; they had Philly on the ropes for a while. NE w/o a QB had GB on the ropes.

We one one blowout, lost one blowout, won two close games....that is coaching.

We won close games against two squads that won't be in the post-season. Weeks 6-11 are going to tell us where this team is at. That's the toughest stretch of the schedule. So far we have played one good football team, and got our asses kicked by them.

GB and Philly are good measuring sticks. Philly game was on the road but a dropped pass was the one play we needed.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/3/2022 9:53:38 AM >

Post #: 1105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:51:40 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2022

QUOTE: What to know: The Vikings are 3-1 even though their offense and defense, overhauled in the transition to new coach Kevin O'Connell, are very much works in progress. Sunday's game in London was won by their special teams -- place-kicker Greg Joseph kicked five field goals, including what proved to be the game winner from 47 yards out -- and was sealed only when Saints place-kicker Will Lutz hit the upright and crossbar from 61 yards away. Meanwhile, the offense has been disjointed and has struggled to get snaps off before the play clock. And the defense has given up huge chunks of yards at inopportune times.

Is quarterback Kirk Cousins going to be able to sharpen up in this offense? Cousins had a decent line Sunday, completing 25 of 38 passes for 273 yards, and made the key pass in the game to set up the game-winning field goal. But he missed receiver Justin Jefferson open twice in the end zone and has looked uncomfortable in the pocket in this new scheme. -- Kevin Seifert

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34685588/nfl-week-4-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks

cousins was roughed-up plenty, even when he wasn't getting sacked...the vikes were far from dominant, but came up big when it counted...we are a work in progress...victories like the last two could give us a home game in the postseason....

if we converted back to a 4-3 defense i believe it would immediately pay dividends - we could play asamoah as an olb and it would strengthen our defensive tackle position by giving us more depth...i don't think hunter is comfortable as an olb edge rusher - and he's possibly our best player on defense....

i can see the vikes letting cook go and extending mattison on a 3yr/10mm contract this offseason....

I agree on the 4-3. I'm not a against changing the a 3-4 or mixing in a little from time to time, but it doesn't match our players strengths right now. I'd like to see Asamoah's speed on the field more too.

The big key to going 3-4 is stopping the run; it seems to be doing the reverse.

You need a beast in the middle. We don't have that.
Post #: 1106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:54:48 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

just win, baby....

somewhat bizarre fact: the lions lead the entire league in points scored this season with 140...yet they are 1-3....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:55:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

Someone mentioned 3/10 for Mattison.

No way would we get him that cheap. He will be 25 next year; it will cost 3/15 I bet maybe even 3/18.

Post #: 1108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:58:16 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

just win, baby....

somewhat bizarre fact: the lions lead the entire league in points scored this season with 140...yet they are 1-3....

They really missed St. Brown yesterday. That was a game they should have won.

Post #: 1109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 9:58:40 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

just win, baby....

That offense is definitely improved. That is a crazy stat.
Post #: 1110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:01:18 AM   
Todd M

Worries about the OL creeping in but they've given up the 4th least amount of sacks.

Then we're wondering about Cook/OL/running game but Cook's popping of a number of solid rips along with what feels like too many 1/2 yd ones.

I don't know what to make of it.
Post #: 1111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:02:10 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Gezuz Tom,

For once can we win the division outright by sweeping the division opposition?

The Puke have won 10 or more games in 9 of the last 12 seasons.

So yea, by gift, sway, or luck and talent, there needs to be at least 10 wins, to win this division, and I want it to be The Vikings.

It going to be difficult to get the #2 seed in our conference.

We practically Have to beat the Cardinals and Cowboys to have a shot at the #2 seed, because the Eagles are looking pretty damn good as the #1 seed in the NFC.

The only thing helping us is the east has to play out their round robin amongst themselves, but If Philadelphia sweeps the East, they are a lock for Seeding in the top 2 at least.

We have yet to play an AFC team, and we have Five teams in the AFC on our Schedule, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, and Colts.

We are “lucky” that we have Detroit and Chicago in our division, but needing to come from behind against the lions, at home, was not a good look.

Backing into the playoffs with a near .500 record is how you see this season going?

This team is a hot mess on defense, and the Aints, beat up as they were, exposed our offensive line, yet again, as the forever and always, weakness that can shut us down.

If KC keeps getting hit, his current happy feet throws, duck and chuck, will get worse.

I don’t know what football by the Vikings you are watching, but what I’m seeing is a team, not ready for prime time, or playoffs.

It’s year one in the new regime, and I am happy to be at 3-1, but TBH, settling for Field Goals, in the redZone, will not win a wild Card game with this defense.

I'm not sure if you are misreading my post or I am misreading yours ... by 'gzuz Tom' you seem to be disputing my position but I'm not sure how far apart they are.

We are playing like a .500 8-9 win team. Beating a half-ass GB, beating the Saints and Lions by one good play each ... sorry ... the 3-1 just feels dirty to me.

But its 3-1. AND, its possible to improve in a long season.

I concede that I'm not impressed with the NFC overall and that I'm especially down on our division. Right now, four games in.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/3/2022 10:10:58 AM >
Post #: 1112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:02:28 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Worries about the OL creeping in but they've given up the 4th least amount of sacks.

Then we're wondering about Cook/OL/running game but Cooks popping of a number of soldid rips along with what feels like too many 1/2 yd ones.

I feel like if Cousins would just loosen up a bit it could be a good regular season anyway. That's a big IF!
Post #: 1113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:04:40 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

I hope we aren't neutralizing our best pass rusher for the entire season too. That would be a shame.
Post #: 1114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:04:42 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2022

QUOTE: What to know: The Vikings are 3-1 even though their offense and defense, overhauled in the transition to new coach Kevin O'Connell, are very much works in progress. Sunday's game in London was won by their special teams -- place-kicker Greg Joseph kicked five field goals, including what proved to be the game winner from 47 yards out -- and was sealed only when Saints place-kicker Will Lutz hit the upright and crossbar from 61 yards away. Meanwhile, the offense has been disjointed and has struggled to get snaps off before the play clock. And the defense has given up huge chunks of yards at inopportune times.

Is quarterback Kirk Cousins going to be able to sharpen up in this offense? Cousins had a decent line Sunday, completing 25 of 38 passes for 273 yards, and made the key pass in the game to set up the game-winning field goal. But he missed receiver Justin Jefferson open twice in the end zone and has looked uncomfortable in the pocket in this new scheme. -- Kevin Seifert

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34685588/nfl-week-4-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks

cousins was roughed-up plenty, even when he wasn't getting sacked...the vikes were far from dominant, but came up big when it counted...we are a work in progress...victories like the last two could give us a home game in the postseason....

if we converted back to a 4-3 defense i believe it would immediately pay dividends - we could play asamoah as an olb and it would strengthen our defensive tackle position by giving us more depth...i don't think hunter is comfortable as an olb edge rusher - and he's possibly our best player on defense....

i can see the vikes letting cook go and extending mattison on a 3yr/10mm contract this offseason....

I agree on the 4-3. I'm not a against changing the a 3-4 or mixing in a little from time to time, but it doesn't match our players strengths right now. I'd like to see Asamoah's speed on the field more too.

The big key to going 3-4 is stopping the run; it seems to be doing the reverse.

You need a beast in the middle. We don't have that.

'I still can't understand how the brass didn't grab Jordan Davis, especially considering they were planning on moving to a 3-4. I get it resources were tied to the DT position but everyone knows the key to a 3-4 is the middle clogging DT.
Post #: 1115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:04:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Then we're wondering about Cook/OL/running game but Cook's popping of a number of solid rips along with what feels like too many 1/2 yd ones.

I think the timing will come for Cook also. Running game isn't there yet.
The the offensive line doesn't have a holding penalty yet; we have so many fewer penalties as a team now.

Post #: 1116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:07:54 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

I'm not sure there is any stat with any meaning this early in the season.

Even wins vs losses.

I also at am a loss.
Post #: 1117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:14:53 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Gezuz Tom,

So yea, by gift, sway, or luck and talent, there needs to be at least 10 wins, to win this division, and I want it to be The Vikings.

We practically Have to beat the Cardinals and Cowboys to have a shot at the #2 seed, because the Eagles are looking pretty damn good as the #1 seed in the NFC.

The only thing helping us is the east has to play out their round robin amongst themselves, but If Philadelphia sweeps the East, they are a lock for Seeding in the top 2 at least.

We have yet to play an AFC team, and we have Five teams in the AFC on our Schedule, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, and Colts.

We are “lucky” that we have Detroit and Chicago in our division, but needing to come from behind against the lions, at home, was not a good look.

Backing into the playoffs with a near .500 record is how you see this season going?

This team is a hot mess on defense, and the Aints, beat up as they were, exposed our offensive line, yet again, as the forever and always, weakness that can shut us down.

If KC keeps getting hit, his current happy feet throws, duck and chuck, will get worse.

I don’t know what football by the Vikings you are watching, but what I’m seeing is a team, not ready for prime time, or playoffs.

It’s year one in the new regime, and I am happy to be at 3-1, but TBH, settling for Field Goals, in the redZone, will not win a wild Card game with this defense.

I'm not sure if you are misreading my post or I am misreading yours ... by 'gzuz Tom' you seem to be disputing my position.

We are playing like a .500 8-9 win team. Beating a half-ass GB, beating the Saints and Lions by one good play each ... sorry ... the 3-1 just feels dirty to me.

I concede that I'm not impressed with the NFC overall and that I'm especially down on our division. Right now, four games in.

It hasn't been overly impressive however there is a level of clutch in this team. Kirk leading a couple of got to have it drives, the D doing just enough to force FGs.

The Saints were really dominating both sides of the LOS in the 2nd half which is a major worry. This team will never have control of the game, the only time was vs GB with both of their starting tackles out.

Still the schedule is favorable, looks like 10-11 win season to me. No one is dominating the NFC except the Eagles. The Eagles are difficult matchup if you haven't faced them. They're a unique team to defend, but I can see the Cowboys exposing them and giving teams the blue print to slow down their offense.
Post #: 1118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:20:16 AM   
Murph

quote:

I think our offense is getting closer to gelling. We need to clean up our red zone efficiency and convert those fg's into td's. Lot's of drops, some open receivers missed and a few errant throws but it looking better to me. I think Kirk is taking charge a little more and is playing with a little more confidence.

The defense and the coordinator are going to get us eliminated from the playoffs. I can't stand the scheme. If we are going to give up chunks of yardage; I'd much prefer that we are being aggressive while doing so, instead of the passive posture our defense plays with.

Our special teams are looking as good as they've looked since the 70's, through three games and won the game for us yesterday. Special teams coach should have gotten a ball after the games yesterday, outstanding job!

We looked average against a bad team but with the travel etc., just happy to get the W.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:23:14 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

There's also the other side of the coin that you don't want to peak too early. We definitely haven't done that.
Post #: 1120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:27:19 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Gezuz Tom,

I'm not sure if you are misreading my post or I am misreading yours ... by 'gzuz Tom' you seem to be disputing my position.

It hasn't been overly impressive however there is a level of clutch in this team. Kirk leading a couple of got to have it drives, the D doing just enough to force FGs.

The Saints were really dominating both sides of the LOS in the 2nd half which is a major worry. This team will never have control of the game, the only time was vs GB with both of their starting tackles out.

Still the schedule is favorable, looks like 10-11 win season to me. No one is dominating the NFC except the Eagles. The Eagles are difficult matchup if you haven't faced them. They're a unique team to defend, but I can see the Cowboys exposing them and giving teams the blue print to slow down their offense.

That is all fair.
Post #: 1121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:29:58 AM   
Todd M

quote:

If we are going to give up chunks of yardage; I'd much prefer that we are being aggressive while doing so, instead of the passive posture our defense plays with

1000%
Post #: 1122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:32:02 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

If we are going to give up chunks of yardage; I'd much prefer that we are being aggressive while doing so, instead of the passive posture our defense plays with

1000%

Agreed. Can't stand seeing Hunter getting taken out on passing downs. We're neutralizing the heck out of him. Gotta find a way to get him after the qb.
Post #: 1123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:32:04 AM   
Todd M

That fake punt tho, right?!!!

I swear I'd had no problem taking a bet that we'd have see one early but that it would be successful too.
Post #: 1124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/3/2022 10:33:55 AM   
marty

The Vikings and Pukers will both win at least 11 games, one will win 12 to win the division.

Brad, I shouldn't say mask Kirk's flaws, but I think KOC can put in enough nicely designed plays to have the offense scoring a lot of points.

The Vikings should be very good all season at home, they might win ALL of their home games, that would get 9 wins, and then they would only need to win ONE of the road games to get to 11 wins.

I think it's more likely the Vikings lose one of their home games, so they will need to win 2 games on the road to get to 11 wins, which will be a challenge, unless Donatell can get more aggressive with the defense.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1125
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode