Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/24/2023 10:13:09 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Disappointing. Sloppy game against a bad team. Tough schedule ahead. Wolves may miss the playoffs.
Post #: 351
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/25/2023 9:47:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

What is it with this teams inability to win games they should.

The bottom feeder teams in the East have feasted on us.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 352
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/25/2023 10:03:58 AM   
Bill Jandro

Minnesota hopes Towns can play in "at least" the final 10-15 games of the regular season.

The problem I see here is will the team look as disoriented as it did to begin the season.

Post #: 353
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/27/2023 9:38:19 AM   
ronhextall

Towns is on my list of players that "Loves the Money" way more then "Loves the Game".

Maybe it's not fair but after multiple years you are what you are.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 2/28/2023 9:49:04 AM >
Post #: 354
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/27/2023 2:03:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Hot take. Has Towns played his last game as a Timberwolf?

Hot take part II. Was the plan all along to move away from Towns?

Do we really think that playing Towns and Gobert together was a long term plan? A dream of Connelly’s to play two 7 footers together? I think it’s far more likely that Connelly decided he was done with Towns, shook up the team to bring in Rudy to eventually replace Towns, then was going to work on phase II to move Towns. Towns injury just put a temporary complication to it.

There are starting to be whispers that Towns could basically come back now but is in no rush to do so. Maybe Towns has seen the handwriting on the wall and decided that he didn’t want to reinvent his game for Rudy, nor do the Wolves particularly want him to, beyond a one year patch.

I think a low key slow motion mutual separation is happening between Towns and the Wolves.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 2/27/2023 2:05:19 PM >
Post #: 355
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/28/2023 1:45:45 PM   
wrh

I certainly don't know about the replace KAT with Rudy theory, but I do wonder/speculate about how well KAT is willing to let the team become ANT's. I like KAT but sense in him for recognition of being "the Man". Guess time will tell. Feel the season slipping awy and have little confidence that KAT coming back will quickly make them jell. Hope I am wrong.
Post #: 356
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/28/2023 11:42:07 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I’m starting to warm to Rudy…again. It’s a pendulum that swings back and forth. It’s maddening that he has to be utilized in a very specific way to be effective, which accentuates his strengths and minimize his glaring faults. He is not a typical ‘star’ player in that regard. But I don’t think the Wolves win tonight against the Clippers without Rudy and it wasn’t even one of his best games.
Post #: 357
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/1/2023 9:29:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I’m starting to warm to Rudy…again. It’s a pendulum that swings back and forth. It’s maddening that he has to be utilized in a very specific way to be effective, which accentuates his strengths and minimize his glaring faults. He is not a typical ‘star’ player in that regard. But I don’t think the Wolves win tonight against the Clippers without Rudy and it wasn’t even one of his best games.

5 first rd picks for a clumsy ox that clogs the lane for Ant?

Connely is following Thibs/McFale in full fashion.

Post #: 358
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/2/2023 7:06:38 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

5 first rd picks for a clumsy ox that clogs the lane for Ant?

Connely is following Thibs/McFale in full fashion.

Sure but I’m done fretting over the trade. It’s done. Would I have made that trade? No. But in the present they still need to try to make the most of it. And Rudy does have value, if used in a very particular way. That’s all I’m saying.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 3/2/2023 7:15:08 PM >
Post #: 359
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 10:00:02 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Nice win. Another good showing from Rudy. Yes his style is that of a bull in a China shop. But bottom line, 22 points, 14 rebounds and some big stops defensively.

And getting exactly what we need from Conley. Quietly running things for most of the game, and coming up with big baskets at the end.

Looking at the standings, yes it’s still close, but it seems to be settling into an order that makes sense. Denver, Grizzles and (surprisingly) Sacramento have pulled away a bit. Upgraded Suns will be tough to pass. Likewise upgraded Mavs. With Warriors between them, who will do their Warriors thing down the stretch.

That leaves the Wolves at 7…in the play in again. With Clippers Jazz and Pelicans filling out the rest. Lakers without LeBron aren’t going anywhere and I don’t see a run in OKC or Portland. They’re out.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 3/4/2023 10:02:09 AM >
Post #: 360
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 10:54:23 AM  1 votes
David Levine

"After the last game, I literally texted Coach, and I'm like, 'We're gonna change this and this, and we need to fix this,' just from my observation for the first couple games," Conley said.

Conley mentioned the Wolves needed to play smarter when other teams are making a run against them. How those moments might not be the times to try risky cross-court passes that lead to turnovers and easy layups for the opposition.

"We're not going to make every shot … So when we don't make shots, what can we run?" Conley said. "How can we get to the free-throw line and not turn it over. Those things that we're all capable of doing individually. Guys can get better at decision-making. Guys can get better at giving guys the ball and getting back in urgency on defense late in games."
Post #: 361
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 12:57:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Nice win. Another good showing from Rudy. Yes his style is that of a bull in a China shop. But bottom line, 22 points, 14 rebounds and some big stops defensively.

And getting exactly what we need from Conley. Quietly running things for most of the game, and coming up with big baskets at the end.

Looking at the standings, yes it’s still close, but it seems to be settling into an order that makes sense. Denver, Grizzles and (surprisingly) Sacramento have pulled away a bit. Upgraded Suns will be tough to pass. Likewise upgraded Mavs. With Warriors between them, who will do their Warriors thing down the stretch.

That leaves the Wolves at 7…in the play in again. With Clippers Jazz and Pelicans filling out the rest. Lakers without LeBron aren’t going anywhere and I don’t see a run in OKC or Portland. They’re out.

Not sure the Mavs are better or worse with Kyrie. I still think we can pass them provided we don't have to play anymore eastern bottom feeder teams.

Post #: 362
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 1:49:51 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Not sure the Mavs are better or worse with Kyrie. I still think we can pass them provided we don't have to play anymore eastern bottom feeder teams.

Disagree. I think Kyrie is a significant upgrade for the Mavs. He may be a knucklehead off the court but I’ve always had great respect for him as a player.

But I will grant you, the Mavs are probably the most catchable if anyone is. Luka and Kyrie dropped 82 to beat Philly the other night. But that’s not sustainable. The question is, do they have enough depth and firepower besides those two?

Only have to catch one team to get out of the play in. That would be huge. It gets you a better first round matchup too. Memphis or Sacramento. Either one would be a fun series.
Post #: 363
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 5:05:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Disagree. I think Kyrie is a significant upgrade for the Mavs. He may be a knucklehead off the court but I’ve always had great respect for him as a player.

But I will grant you, the Mavs are probably the most catchable if anyone is. Luka and Kyrie dropped 82 to beat Philly the other night. But that’s not sustainable. The question is, do they have enough depth and firepower besides those two?

Only have to catch one team to get out of the play in. That would be huge. It gets you a better first round matchup too. Memphis or Sacramento. Either one would be a fun series.

Certainly plenty of firepower between the two but they weren't good defensively before the trade. Not sure a Luka/Kyrie backcourt could guard me or you.

Post #: 364
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/4/2023 6:18:02 PM   
Bill Jandro

We need to somehow string 5 wins together like the Warriors have and give ourselves some breathing room. But then again I ve been saying that all season.

Post #: 365
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/5/2023 9:22:24 AM   
Karl Juhnke

This is officially the team that does the opposite of expectations.

I did not have a three game sweep of a west coast road trip on my bingo card. Not that the Lakers and Clippers are that great, but any three consecutive road wins are tough, and last night was on a back to back and the best team of the three. And the Wolves were coming off of bad losses to mediocre teams.

Just good enough to tease you. Just inconsistent enough to make it maddening.
Post #: 366
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/5/2023 12:27:49 PM   
Bill Jandro

Agreed. This team has played both down and up to its competition all year long.

Looking like we are going to catch the Sixers off the tail end of their road trip plus off a back to back.
Lets keep this rolling and avoid the play in.

Post #: 367
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/5/2023 3:27:58 PM   
David Levine

We absolutely HAVE to make the Playoffs.

If we somehow trade Kessler and Wembanyama for Gobert, I don’t know if we can recover.
Post #: 368
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/6/2023 8:55:07 AM   
Pauldiercks1

I think at minimum you need to feel out interest for Towns and seriously look at trading him.

Like someone said -he is what he is.
My opinion -
Towns is very very gifted offensively, weak and uninspired on defense. Towns ego is to the point of sometimes wondering did I just hear him actually say that? Whines to the point that he annoys the refs enough they almost seem to want to get payback..
Post #: 369
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 8:26:01 AM   
ronhextall

Need to shop Towns this offseason, you don't know what you can get until you look.
Post #: 370
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 8:50:18 AM   
TJSweens

I think it's safe to say that one of Towns or Rudy has to go. The big, skower lineup doesn't work in the modern NBA. Rudy provides great rim protection and rebounding in half court defense. The flip side is that teams were able to run at will with both bigs on the floor. I'm still of the mindset that I would consider trading both in the offseason in the pursuit of building the right team around Edwards.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 371
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 9:22:35 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I think it's safe to say that one of Towns or Rudy has to go. The big, skower lineup doesn't work in the modern NBA. Rudy provides great rim protection and rebounding in half court defense. The flip side is that teams were able to run at will with both bigs on the floor. I'm still of the mindset that I would consider trading both in the offseason in the pursuit of building the right team around Edwards.

I’d think Connelly would be reluctant to trade away Rudy any time soon, even if it makes sense to do so. That would be admitting failure on his first big signature move. That leaves Towns to be moved. His injury complicated things a bit. But eventually you should be able to get a very good return for him.
Post #: 372
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 9:58:54 AM   
David Jerde

It’s counterproductive to talk about trading Kat at this time. Minuscule chance of getting fair return in a trade AND the pairing with Rudy with Connely, instead of Rudy and D’Angelo, presents an entirely different dynamic.

Fine to check trade opportunities on the down low to see whether they can justify a trade. Nothing public.
Post #: 373
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 5:14:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

Sounds like Towns is afraid he could tear his achilles if he comes back too soon.

Post #: 374
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 3/7/2023 5:42:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Sounds like Towns is afraid he could tear his achilles if he comes back too soon.

Its not Towns, its medicine/science.

Tearing your Achilles is exactly what can easily happen if you come back from a bad Calf Sprain too soon.

It's what happened to Durant.
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode