Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 7:42:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

So perfectly crafted by Rocco to predetermine Thielbar would face that part of the lineup 2nd time through.

Except Houston's lefties pounds left handed pitching.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2476
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 7:44:39 PM   
TJSweens

Now can we stop getting dominated by a guy with a 5.25 ERA.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2477
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 7:57:21 PM   
TJSweens

I repeat, the electronic strike zone can't get here soon enough. Kepler got rung up on a pitch half a foot inside.

Post #: 2478
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 8:03:57 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I repeat, the electronic strike zone can't get here soon enough. Kepler got rung up on a pitch half a foot inside.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2479
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 8:40:29 PM   
TJSweens

Duran didn't seem impressed by Alvarez.

Post #: 2480
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/11/2023 9:51:35 PM   
Steve Lentz

Lot of young talent on this team. Still stings so bad when we were so close to at least another round.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2481
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 5:51:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Lot of young talent on this team. Still stings so bad when we were so close to at least another round.

Rocco refused to play small ball. #1 reason Arizona is beat LAD. Can’t win series w/o moving runners and stealing bases which was the core to late season success.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2482
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 6:10:34 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Duran didn't seem impressed by Alvarez.

3 power pitchers handled him

Pablo
Paddack
Duran

What was old is new again
Post #: 2483
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 6:11:39 AM   
Mister Ed

Improvement needed. It will be a curious offseason to see what changes and who comes/goes.

Post #: 2484
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:06:49 AM   
Trekgeekscott

So another sad attempt to score all our runs via the long ball fails again.

Offseason begins today.

1. If Buxton needs surgery, have it done TOMORROW. If he doesn't find a way to get his now worthless ass off the roster.
2. re-sign Sonny Gray. Everyone else will be back. Rotation Lopez, Gray, Ryan Paddick, Ober. All set there. Fantasy pickup here, Blake Snell
3. Castro, Taylor, Farmer. Solano were all useful pieces, but they won't all be back. Nick Gordon is still on the roster. Roll players like this can be the difference between winning and losing. Filling in for injuries, late inning defensive replacements. I'd try to keep Castro and Taylor.
4. Say Bye bye to Gallo. Never want to see him in a Twins uniform ever again.
5. Shore up the bullpen as best you can. Pagan improved, my ptsd from his 2022 still lingers, but I can survive if they can keep the good Pagan we saw later this year going. Duran, Jax, I'd like some new left handed relievers.
6. Get Correa's foot healthy for 2024.

This team has a lot of young talent right now. They've got a taste of winning and like it. and want to do it more. Let's get rolling for 2024.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2485
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:19:35 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

So perfectly crafted by Rocco to predetermine Thielbar would face that part of the lineup 2nd time through.

Except Houston's lefties pounds left handed pitching.

Uh yeah...

I was being facetious.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2486
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:23:47 AM   
twinsfan

I'm relieved it's over. Having a good team making a run in the playoffs is very stressful.

I'm worried that this was their best chance in the near future, though, because it will be very difficult to sign someone to replace Sonny Gray as a co-ace to go along with Lopez. Gray's last performance was not good, but the combo of Lopez and Gray was legit for a playoff team.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2487
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:27:30 AM   
twinsfan

The "strike 3" to Kepler when Royce had 2nd base stolen. Just one example of how we were fighting an uphill battle this entire series. That's not even close to being over the plate. It happened over and over and over again in the playoffs to our hitters. That's another frustration that makes me relieved we don't have to watch that BS against our team the rest of the postseason.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2488
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:33:45 AM   
Mister Ed

Percentages weren't working. At some point changes had to be made. Tried a little last night, failed.

Farmer batted 4 times in the series. Seems wrong.

As much as I can't stand Vazquez, Jeffers completely sucked at the plate too. Try something else?

Kepler is still o-fer career postseason rbi's.

Figures. MN teams. Playoffs. Underwhelming.

Post #: 2489
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:40:42 AM  1 votes
ronhextall

Opportunity lost and post season is never a given.

Be nice if just one Minnesota franchise had a " F' this, lets win it all " type season/attitude.

32 years and counting. Minnesota sports fans are the most tortured and I don't think it's really all that close.
Post #: 2490
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:49:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed
Percentages weren't working. At some point changes had to be made. Tried a little last night, failed.
Farmer batted 4 times in the series. Seems wrong.
As much as I can't stand Vazquez, Jeffers completely sucked at the plate too. Try something else?
Kepler is still o-fer career postseason rbi's.
Figures. MN teams. Playoffs. Underwhelming.

Few things I will struggle with....1) Ryan only getting 2 innings (although the pitching staff only gave up 3 so it is a weak argument), 2) No small ball (maybe try Vazquez in the order as he at least will move the runner) and very few steal attempts, 3) Farmer not used at all after game 2. Solano is a very good pinch hitter and the whole 1 at bat for Buck.... Farmer was the guy to use in games 3 & 4 in an important spot, and 4) Can't figure what analytics say pitching to Alvarez and Abreu every at bat is the way to go.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/12/2023 8:55:07 AM >

Post #: 2491
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 8:59:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

The "strike 3" to Kepler when Royce had 2nd base stolen. Just one example of how we were fighting an uphill battle this entire series. That's not even close to being over the plate. It happened over and over and over again in the playoffs to our hitters. That's another frustration that makes me relieved we don't have to watch that BS against our team the rest of the postseason.

I don't know. I guess if we kept playing despite the uphill battle. we'd still be playing and have a good shot at a title.

I am not happy we are done. I am not happy about the manner in which we lost or the pisspoor umpiring in this series.

But that's just me. I'd prefer we were still playing despite how stressful it may be.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2492
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 9:05:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott
quote:

I don't know. I guess if we kept playing despite the uphill battle. we'd still be playing and have a good shot at a title.
I am not happy we are done. I am not happy about the manner in which we lost or the pisspoor umpiring in this series.
But that's just me. I'd prefer we were still playing despite how stressful it may be.

The most stressful thing to me is to see Kepler and Polanco struggle and 2 young kids excel in the playoffs.....Julien and Lewis are gamers and perform at the highest of stages.

Maybe that is why Matt was so stressed.....JK Matt.

They need to find what mold those two came out of (I think it is hanging out with Corea)....I do have hope that Jeffers and Wallner can get there to; Kirilloff's injury leaves questions.

Post #: 2493
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 9:11:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

So another sad attempt to score all our runs via the long ball fails again.

Offseason begins today.

1. If Buxton needs surgery, have it done TOMORROW. If he doesn't find a way to get his now worthless ass off the roster.
2. re-sign Sonny Gray. Everyone else will be back. Rotation Lopez, Gray, Ryan Paddick, Ober. All set there. Fantasy pickup here, Blake Snell
3. Castro, Taylor, Farmer. Solano were all useful pieces, but they won't all be back. Nick Gordon is still on the roster. Roll players like this can be the difference between winning and losing. Filling in for injuries, late inning defensive replacements. I'd try to keep Castro and Taylor.
4. Say Bye bye to Gallo. Never want to see him in a Twins uniform ever again.
5. Shore up the bullpen as best you can. Pagan improved, my ptsd from his 2022 still lingers, but I can survive if they can keep the good Pagan we saw later this year going. Duran, Jax, I'd like some new left handed relievers.
6. Get Correa's foot healthy for 2024.

This team has a lot of young talent right now. They've got a taste of winning and like it. and want to do it more. Let's get rolling for 2024.

#2...As much as I like Gray it will depend on the money (of course). Would think he would like to stay. Snell would be a great power arm but I am afraid it will be Mahle
#3...I think we still have arb rights to Castro for 2 years; 1 year of arb rights on Farmer.
#5...Need a power lefty---Thielbar has been a great story but he shouldn't be a high leverage Lefty---that was always on borrowed time. Alcala may be back? Maybe leave Varland in the BP(if we sign another starter)?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/12/2023 9:15:53 AM >

Post #: 2494
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 9:52:52 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

What really sucks about that call is the ump was looking straight down the inside of the plate - seriously, how can you get that wrong?

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 10/12/2023 9:54:08 AM >
Post #: 2495
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 9:53:24 AM   
Mister Ed

Lewis had the home runs
Hit .225 for the postseason. Not exactly excelling consistently.
Julien, like the rest, struck out too much. But at least he presented competence in the leadoff spot.

Again, get him to first base if you're not going to upgrade the position. I'm done with Kirilloff. If he was hurt to the point where he likely needs surgery, why in the world was he hitting. Why was Larnach not on the roster, for all the "good" stevenson was used for (wasted roster spot).

End of postseason SUCKS. I get where Matt's coming from on stress. Days like this with garbage weather, make it worse.

Post #: 2496
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 9:55:30 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

What really sucks about that call is the ump was looking straight down the inside of the plate - seriously, how can you get that wrong?

Catcher pull?

More to me: Ump show. It's postseason and they get to show off their called strike to packed houses and national TV. Becoming more important than necessary.

Post #: 2497
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:12:19 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Catcher pull?

More to me: Ump show. It's postseason and they get to show off their called strike to packed houses and national TV. Becoming more important than necessary.

Frank Drebin Umpire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyghaQMO5HQ

Post #: 2498
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:14:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Lewis had the home runs
Julien, like the rest, struck out too much. But at least he presented competence in the leadoff spot.

Again, get him to first base if you're not going to upgrade the position. I'm done with Kirilloff. If he was hurt to the point where he likely needs surgery, why in the world was he hitting. Why was Larnach not on the roster, for all the "good" stevenson was used for (wasted roster spot).

End of postseason SUCKS. I get where Matt's coming from on stress. Days like this with garbage weather, make it worse.

I don't see us getting by Toronto w/o Lewis. Deciding game Julien 2b and HR/just bad luck on come backer to SS in 1st Inning....imagine Julien scoring and Polanco on 1st with no outs and Lewis up---may have ended up a totally different game.

Post #: 2499
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:34:10 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Lewis had the home runs

I'm happy someone understands me.

Yes, I wish the Twins were still playing. But sometimes I take it too seriously and I can appreciate the use of a blank mind for a few weeks, and just take in a World Series where I don't have to be emotionally invested in either of the teams.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2500
Page:   <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode