Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  98 99 100 [101] 102   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:37:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Lewis had the home runs
Hit .225 for the postseason. Not exactly excelling consistently.
Julien, like the rest, struck out too much. But at least he presented competence in the leadoff spot.

Again, get him to first base if you're not going to upgrade the position. I'm done with Kirilloff. If he was hurt to the point where he likely needs surgery, why in the world was he hitting. Why was Larnach not on the roster, for all the "good" stevenson was used for (wasted roster spot).

End of postseason SUCKS. I get where Matt's coming from on stress. Days like this with garbage weather, make it worse.

I'm happy someone understands me.

Yes, I wish the Twins were still playing. But sometimes I take it too seriously and I can appreciate the use of a blank mind for a few weeks, and just take in a World Series where I don't have to be emotionally invested in either of the teams.

It sucks because another series win and we are that much closer.....at least we are off the snide Matt!!!

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2501
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:37:22 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

The "strike 3" to Kepler when Royce had 2nd base stolen. Just one example of how we were fighting an uphill battle this entire series. That's not even close to being over the plate. It happened over and over and over again in the playoffs to our hitters. That's another frustration that makes me relieved we don't have to watch that BS against our team the rest of the postseason.

What really sucks about that call is the ump was looking straight down the inside of the plate - seriously, how can you get that wrong?

Catcher pull?

More to me: Ump show. It's postseason and they get to show off their called strike to packed houses and national TV. Becoming more important than necessary.

I think the ump was fooled because the catcher caught and got into a throwing motion almost simultaneously, which naturally moved his entire body and the ball away from Kepler, almost making it look like it was inner-half on the plate. Maybe the catcher did it on purpose, maybe not. The catcher probably knew it wasn't really a strike, which also explains why he made the throw to 2nd so quickly on what was a 2-2 count.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2502
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 10:56:30 AM   
TJSweens

My thoughts on the kids.

Royce Lewis: I was happy with him. He played on a bad hammy and hit 4 HR in 6 games. I don't care about the .225 average. Kent Hrbek hit .157 in the post season, but everyone remembers that game 6 grand slam. Lewis supplied all of the offense in our game 1 win over Toronto. His third HR brought us within one run in game 1 against Houston. His fourth staked us to a 1-0 lead last night. They were all big impact HR. He looked good when he moved to the field. Lewis also had a base stolen when Kepler was rung up on that putrid strike call. He had one game where he uncharacteristically chased everything out of the zone, but other than that he looked like a big game player to me. Please, please, please don't be Buxton II with injuries.

Edouard Julien: The strikeouts didn't bother me. His line against Houston was .364, .533, .818, 1.352 with a HR and two doubles. The moment hasn't been too big for him since he was called up. I see a lot more good things to come.

Matt Wallner: Very forgettable series. .000 average with 3 BB. Nothing to see here. Better luck next year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2503
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:05:24 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

My thoughts on the kids.

Royce Lewis: I was happy with him. He played on a bad hammy and hit 4 HR in 6 games. I don't care about the .225 average. Kent Hrbek hit .157 in the post season, but everyone remembers that game 6 grand slam. Lewis supplied all of the offense in our game 1 win over Toronto. His third HR brought us within one run in game 1 against Houston. His fourth staked us to a 1-0 lead last night. They were all big impact HR. He looked good when he moved to the field. Lewis also had a base stolen when Kepler was rung up on that putrid strike call. He had one game where he uncharacteristically chased everything out of the zone, but other than that he looked like a big game player to me. Please, please, please don't be Buxton II with injuries.

Edouard Julien: The strikeouts didn't bother me. His line against Houston was .364, .533, .818, 1.352 with a HR and two doubles. The moment hasn't been too big for him since he was called up. I see a lot more good things to come.

Matt Wallner: Very forgettable series. .000 average with 3 BB. Nothing to see here. Better luck next year.

Wallner is a guess hitter with a big hole in his swing. He has a lot of work to do. Not sure it will ever translate to the majors. His peak is somewhere around peak Sano offensively. I'm afraid his career will follow a similar trajectory as Sano. It's a swing that typically doesn't age well. I do love Wallner's arm, which helps make up for his poor fielding (primarily due to poor instincts and bad jumps, which hopefully can be improved with more experience).

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2504
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:20:24 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

As to last night, Rocco is a moron. He was so impressed with how well pulling Berrios after 2 innings worked for Toronto that he decided to try it himself. Ryan was throwing well. He was the first starter to get Altuve in his first AB and had no problem with Alverez. Baldelli very cleverly engineered things so that Thielbar would face the left handed hitters who pounded him in his last appearance. AJ Pierzynski pointed out the obvious flaw in the analytics driven over-managing. When you bank on 5+ relievers, all it takes is for one of them to have an off day to derail the strategy. Case in point ...

Pinch hitting Buxton seemed more like...let's get Byron a playoff AB in case we losemove...than a game winning tactic.

In general, I agree than Rocco wasn't nearly aggressive enough on the basepaths. He seems to have no grasp of the situational baseball that can make all of the difference in the playoffs.

Rocco's team didn't shit their pants that way Gardy's teams did, but he is every bit as inept of an in game manager as Gardy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2505
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:27:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

As to last night, Rocco is a moron. He was so impressed with how well pulling Berrios after 2 innings worked for Toronto that he decided to try it himself. Ryan was throwing well. He was the first starter to get Altuve in his first AB and had no problem with Alverez. Baldelli very cleverly engineered things so that Thielbar would face the left handed hitters who pounded him in his last appearance. AJ Pierzynski pointed out the obvious flaw in the analytics driven over-managing. When you bank on 5+ relievers, all it takes is for one of them to have an off day to derail the strategy. Case in point ...
Pinch hitting Buxton seemed more like...let's get Byron a playoff AB in case we losemove...than a game winning tactic.
In general, I agree than Rocco wasn't nearly aggressive enough on the basepaths. He seems to have no grasp of the situational baseball that can make all of the difference in the playoffs.
Rocco's team didn't shit their pants that way Gardy's teams did, but he is every bit as inept of an in game manager as Gardy.

Have to give kudos to Falvey and Lavine.....I think the team they put together should have made it to the ALCS. I think any other manager would have tweaked things a little to win game 3 or 4....maybe start Ryan game 3 and let him go at least 4 since you were on house money, play Farmer game 3, bunt over the guys on 1st and 2nd in game 3 early in the game, and there are so many other.

Post #: 2506
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:32:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

OptaSTATS
@OptaSTATS
14h
The Twins are the first team in MLB history to play at least 6 games in a single postseason and strike out 10+ times in every one.

Pitch Profiler
@pitchprofiler
·
1h
Twins hitters saw 18 strikes incorrectly called against them throughout the Postseason, tied for the most.
Pitchers had 20 strikes incorrectly called balls, which is the most.
In total, they had 38 incorrect calls against them, by far the most. Texas is next at 27.

Post #: 2507
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:32:28 AM   
TJSweens

I agree with Ed, that I would like to see Gray back, but I don't think it will happen. Gray is 33 and is looking at what could be his last chance at a big pay-day. That doesn't mesh with the Twins formula for younger arms under team control. Gray also seemed to be frustrated with Rock-head at times. He kind of threw down the gauntlet in spring training when he made his feelings over being pulled after 5 innings known. He and Rocco had it out after a short outing during the season. My guess is that the Twins will look to fill that spot from inside and maybe bring back Maeda as insurance.

I'd really like to see someone like Varland force his way into the rotation next year, just to give me some measure of faith that Falvey and Levine know what they are doing when it comes to drafting and developing pitchers. Ober is the only on in 7 years that has made it to the big league rotation. Everyone else either washed out or moved to the bullpen.

I was impressed by what I saw from Paddack after his return. Maybe he will be one the success stories after a second TJ surgery.

Post #: 2508
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:45:56 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

But sometimes I take it too seriously

Me a couple of the past few days

Vikings too.

Unnecessary

What was old is new again
Post #: 2509
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:49:24 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

AJ Pierzynski pointed out the obvious flaw in the analytics driven over-managing

Two remaining AL managers (Dusty/Bochy) are pre-analytics

not surprisingly

Post #: 2510
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:49:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

OptaSTATS
@OptaSTATS
14h
The Twins are the first team in MLB history to play at least 6 games in a single postseason and strike out 10+ times in every one.

Pitch Profiler
@pitchprofiler
·
1h
Twins hitters saw 18 strikes incorrectly called against them throughout the Postseason, tied for the most.
In total, they had 38 incorrect calls against them, by far the most. Texas is next at 27.

I repeat, THE ELECTRONIC STRIKE ZONE CANNOT GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

I'm really sick of reputation calls.

Post #: 2511
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:50:08 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Hoping for a signature moment that wasn't coming. Sentimentality rarely works.

Post #: 2512
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 11:54:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

OptaSTATS
@OptaSTATS
14h

Pitch Profiler
@pitchprofiler
·
1h

Edouard Julien has such a great feel for the strike zone that with an
Electronic Strike zone it will be virtually impossible to strike him out looking.

I can't wait. It's only a matter of time now.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2513
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 2:00:31 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Edouard Julien has such a great feel for the strike zone that with an
Electronic Strike zone it will be virtually impossible to strike him out looking.

I can't wait. It's only a matter of time now.

Lewis said after playing with that in STP that if the same system is used with no changes, hitters will have a huge advantage.

Post #: 2514
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 2:09:31 PM   
bstinger

quote:

The "strike 3" to Kepler when Royce had 2nd base stolen. Just one example of how we were fighting an uphill battle this entire series. That's not even close to being over the plate. It happened over and over and over again in the playoffs to our hitters. That's another frustration that makes me relieved we don't have to watch that BS against our team the rest of the postseason.

We need the electronic strike zone.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2515
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 2:48:33 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

No we don't!! We need to be given the respect we deserve!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2516
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 3:06:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

The "strike 3" to Kepler when Royce had 2nd base stolen. Just one example of how we were fighting an uphill battle this entire series. That's not even close to being over the plate. It happened over and over and over again in the playoffs to our hitters. That's another frustration that makes me relieved we don't have to watch that BS against our team the rest

No we don't!! We need to be given the respect we deserve!

Yeah, good luck with that.

Post #: 2517
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/12/2023 4:25:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

Just the 2 pitches to Kepler in the 6th and the 9th....both would have been challenged and reversed.

Post #: 2518
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 7:29:32 AM  1 votes
bstinger

Not interested in the challenge system for balls and strikes. It needs to right and immediate because the action after that depends on it.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2519
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 10:28:00 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Just the 2 pitches to Kepler in the 6th and the 9th....both would have been challenged and reversed.

Im of the opinion the last pitch of the game would be a strike on a challenge if that's what you are talking about. I was watching MLB gamecast on that pitch and it was a strike - the last pitch outside. My son was watching the MLB app and it was a strike - on the line. But I have no idea how many systems are out there that track the ball. My brother was at the game and called me right away and goes, "Was that a strike?" Obviously it was close.
Post #: 2520
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 12:15:32 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Not interested in the challenge system for balls and strikes. It needs to right and immediate because the action after that depends on it.

agreed, just give the ump an Ipad, heck, probably can integrate the strike zone into sunglasses at this point.
Post #: 2521
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 1:34:44 PM   
Mister Ed

Kirilloff labrum surgery needed. long term out.

Buxton had a scope on his knee just to attempt to relieve the tendonitis.

Sure glad Kirilloff was a warrior. Wasted at bats.

Men of Glass

Post #: 2522
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 1:42:10 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

agreed, just give the ump an Ipad, heck, probably can integrate the strike zone into sunglasses at this point.

Lewis stealing would be a good example of needing to be immediate. Im not sure how that play couldnt be challenged. Obviously both sides need to play through that scenario knowing it could be challenged. What would be some other examples? I dont see how this wouldn't work.

I was against the Robo ump until I heard about the St Paul game. Id have to be talked out of the challenges now
Post #: 2523
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 1:58:22 PM   
twinsfan

Buxton had knee surgery today. Hope that was quick enough for some of you.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2524
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/13/2023 2:19:39 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Buxton had knee surgery today. Hope that was quick enough for some of you.

The idea being get the surgery as soon as possible so that you have as much time as possible to recover before spring training. Yes that is a good thing. It is my sincere hope that Buxton can return for ST and play in the OF again. If not. He's cooked.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2525
Page:   <<   < prev  98 99 100 [101] 102   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  98 99 100 [101] 102   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode