Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:02:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I like the pitch clock. I’ll take 2.5 hour games. Every game I’ve been to in recent history starts to feel like a marathon after 3 hours. And they all did go over 3 hours. I pay to watch baseball, not a batter adjusting his gloves after every pitch or a pitcher pacing around rubbing down baseballs and making sure his jersey and jewelry are on straight. Just throw the ball.

Bingo

Just don't understand why super fans can't reason a 4 hour game or 13-18 inning games are bad for baseball.....hard on pitchers for one thing. Lots of fans have to leave before the game is over.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 276
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:06:30 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I like the pitch clock. I’ll take 2.5 hour games. Every game I’ve been to in recent history starts to feel like a marathon after 3 hours. And they all did go over 3 hours. I pay to watch baseball, not a batter adjusting his gloves after every pitch or a pitcher pacing around rubbing down baseballs and making sure his jersey and jewelry are on straight. Just throw the ball.

Bingo

Just don't understand why super fans can't reason a 4 hour game or 13-18 inning games are bad for baseball.....hard on pitchers for one thing. Lots of fans have to leave before the game is over.

I might come around on the 'ghost' runner thing if our manager knew how to take advantage of it. He is a stubborn, clueless idiot in extra inning games.
Post #: 277
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:08:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Watched a part of the game yesterday over lunch; forget we were down 7 OF at one time last year.

Post #: 278
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:36:17 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I know it's in your nature, but lets not get hyperbolic. About one out of every 150 games lasted four hours. And very infrequently did a game go 13-18 innings.

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but it wasn't major league baseball. The playoffs tended to create some longer games, but the regular season rarely saw those kind of numbers. As a general rule, baseball lasted three hours with the old rules.

And for what it's worth, I'm not as hung up on the pitch clock as I am the extra inning base-runner rule or shift rule. Both of those are just stupid.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/6/2023 10:48:04 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 279
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:41:00 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Why would I want to make a 4 hour round trip drive to watch 2 hours of baseball? Sure, as an outlier or unusual circumstance and one-time novelty, that's cool. I remember being at game at the Metrodome with Buehrle vs Silva and it was like a hour and 50 minutes. It was memorable. I don't want every game to be like that. It's not worth my time or effort driving there for a short game. In a way it's also not worth my time or effort to turn it on the radio or watch it on TV either. I'm here to invest my time and interest into a game. There's not even time to comprehend what's going on. There's no feel. Tempo does not equal feel. It becomes monotony in fast-motion, and that doesn't work for me as a baseball fan.

I heard that on the radio.

Yeah, me too. Common reads my emails all the time. Common and I are built different. He agrees with me. "Very well said."

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 280
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:42:52 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

Nobody needs to leave before the game is over. They leave because they aren't committed to the bit. Schedule your life better.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 281
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 10:46:43 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

Nobody needs to leave before the game is over. They leave because they aren't committed to the bit. Schedule your life better.

Agree entirely. I don't go to a game for a pop-in visit. It's the main course. If the day starts and I am asked by someone what I am doing today, I say; "I'm going to the ballgame today." Pretty much everyone understands that that's what the day revolves around. Everything else is secondary.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/6/2023 10:48:45 AM >

Post #: 282
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:00:17 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why would I want to make a 4 hour round trip drive to watch 2 hours of baseball? Sure, as an outlier or unusual circumstance and one-time novelty, that's cool. I remember being at game at the Metrodome with Buehrle vs Silva and it was like a hour and 50 minutes. It was memorable. I don't want every game to be like that. It's not worth my time or effort driving there for a short game. In a way it's also not worth my time or effort to turn it on the radio or watch it on TV either. I'm here to invest my time and interest into a game. There's not even time to comprehend what's going on. There's no feel. Tempo does not equal feel. It becomes monotony in fast-motion, and that doesn't work for me as a baseball fan.

Yeah, me too. Common reads my emails all the time. Common and I are built different. He agrees with me. "Very well said."

I am not as prolific as you, but he has read a few of my emails. I was set to participate in one of his drafts too and had a killer bit planned. But when my turn came up they couldn’t hear me. Problem was definitely on their end. They pushed the wrong buttons or something.
Post #: 283
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:02:27 AM   
Brad H

People that want to speed up the game of baseball are not baseball fans.

If I bring my wife to a game, she likes to people watch (kids) and enjoy a hot dog. She always comments that the game should be six innings. The bottom line is, she's not a baseball fan. As a result, when I have a question about something that happened during a game, I do not ask her. I ask a baseball fan.

Baseball is not for the casual. It's an acquired taste for those interested in history and nitpicking numbers. It's artful in its slow pace.

With the new rules, the game has lost its artists and replaced them with mechanics.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/6/2023 11:09:56 AM >

Post #: 284
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:04:31 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not as prolific as you, but he has read a few of my emails. I was set to participate in one of his drafts too and had a killer bit planned. But when my turn came up they couldn’t hear me. Problem was definitely on their end. They pushed the wrong buttons or something.

That's weird, because Tenna is really good at pushing buttons.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 285
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:05:09 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

Agree entirely. I don't go to a game for a pop-in visit. It's the main course. If the day starts and I am asked by someone what I am doing today, I say; "I'm going to the ballgame today." Pretty much everyone understands that that's what the day revolves around. Everything else is secondary.

Very well stated.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 286
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:09:36 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I know it's in your nature, but lets not get hyperbolic. About one out of every 150 games lasted four hours. And very infrequently did a game go 13-18 innings.

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but it wasn't major league baseball. The playoffs tended to create some longer games, but the regular season rarely saw those kind of numbers. As a general rule, baseball lasted three hours with the old rules.

And for what it's worth, I'm not as hung up on the pitch clock as I am the extra inning base-runner rule or shift rule. Both of those are just stupid.

Agreed on the other rules. Hate the extra runner. And see no reason why shift was banned. I liked the chess game aspect of the shift. Dare the hitter to break it. Hitters would have eventually adjusted. But no, let’s baby them instead of forcing them alter their precious swing. Let players line up anywhere they want.

I think the pitch clock is going well but I’d be fine with some fine tuning of it. Maybe add 4 seconds or so. Doesn’t sound like much, but it would make a difference. I do admit the game can feel a bit mechanical now. There’s room to compromise and still curtail the human rain delays who made the rule necessary.
Post #: 287
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:11:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

Agreed on the other rules. Hate the extra runner. And see no reason why shift was banned. I liked the chess game aspect of the shift. Dare the hitter to break it. Hitters would have eventually adjusted. But no, let’s baby them instead of forcing them alter their precious swing. Let players line up anywhere they want.

I think the pitch clock is going well but I’d be fine with some fine tuning of it. Maybe add 4 seconds or so. Doesn’t sound like much, but it would make a difference. I do admit the game can feel a bit mechanical now. There’s room to compromise and still curtail the human rain delays who made the rule necessary.

The pitch clock is currently saving about 20 minutes a game. I see no reason to jeopardize the history and records of a game over 20 minutes of my time as a fan. It's not like I'm going to make my next million or cure cancer in that 20 minutes.

Post #: 288
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:13:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

The only way you have a 4 hour game is if it goes multiple extra innings. 13-18 inning games are very rare. You want hard on pitching? Try being forced to throw all of your pitches in a 15 second window. Maeda came out after 5 due to fatigue. As the grind of the season goes on how much more prevalent is that going to become? Today's pitchers have been taught to exert maximum effort on every pitch in pursuit of velocity. The pitch clock reduces the amount of time to regroup between pitches.

The Manfred Man in extra innings is an affront to baseball fans everywhere. It's like shootouts in hockey or soccer. It sucks. I can live with a pitch clock that allows a little more time between pitches. I can't stand that modern hitters are so inept at adjusting to shifts that they had to be banned.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 289
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:16:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

The pitch clock is currently saving about 20 minutes a game. I see no reason to jeopardize the history and records of a game over 20 minutes of my time as a fan. It's not like I'm going to make my next million or cure cancer in that 20 minutes.

I heard more like 35 minutes a game on average. Games are averaging 2 1/2 to 2:40; before it was 3:15.

Post #: 290
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:18:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

What really sucks is that the continuing efforts to shorten games is because they are trying to compensate for all of the time added from MLB cramming every last second of advertising time into every game.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 291
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:18:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

The only way you have a 4 hour game is if it goes multiple extra innings. 13-18 inning games are very rare. You want hard on pitching? Try being forced to throw all of your pitches in a 15 second window. Maeda came out after 5 due to fatigue. As the grind of the season goes on how much more prevalent is that going to become? Today's pitchers have been taught to exert maximum effort on every pitch in pursuit of velocity. The pitch clock reduces the amount of time to regroup between pitches.

The Manfred Man in extra innings is an affront to baseball fans everywhere. It's like shootouts in hockey or soccer. It sucks. I can live with a pitch clock that allows a little more time between pitches. I can't stand that modern hitters are so inept at adjusting to shifts that they had to be banned.

Maeda was coming back from Tommy John; I doubt he was going to pitch any longer than he did. They can always adjust....add a few seconds between pitches an at bat....no issue from me but keep the clock.

Post #: 292
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:20:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

Brandon Warne
@Brandon_Warne
Jorge Polanco is beginning a rehab stint with Low-A Fort Myers starting today

Post #: 293
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:28:07 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I heard more like 35 minutes a game on average. Games are averaging 2 1/2 to 2:40; before it was 3:15.

Again, your numbers are off. The old average was around 3:04. Right now it is 2:40ish. It's 20-25 minutes of your life.

Post #: 294
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:30:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

What really sucks is that the continuing efforts to shorten games is because they are trying to compensate for all of the time added from MLB cramming every last second of advertising time into every game.

Precisely. They did the same thing with the NFL about 30 years ago. The spin was that games were lasting too long to they changed the rules when a player ran out of bounds. Games are still lasting 3:15, but there is 20 more commercials.

It's always about revenue, but the people continue to believe the spin.

Post #: 295
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:33:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

The games lasted 3:10 in 2021....and they only cut 7 minutes off with the 2022 changes they made. So it is 3:10 from 2021 to 2:38 now. The changes made going into 2022 didn't do much so they overhauled it.

Baseball will still have the between half/full inning commercials, pitching changes, and in game commercials. Their goal is to keep the majority of games under 3 hours so maybe they will change some of the clocks next year but it is here to stay.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/6/2023 11:42:27 AM >

Post #: 296
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 11:43:54 AM   
twinsfan

Dick Bremer
@dbremer_pxp

After more than 3 years of successfully bobbing and weaving around it, '19 got me in '23. I've tested positive and will miss my first home opener in 40 years. Looking forward to returning to the booth soon!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 297
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 12:02:16 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo

Maeda was coming back from Tommy John; I doubt he was going to pitch any longer than he did. They can always adjust....add a few seconds between pitches an at bat....no issue from me but keep the clock.

Maeda also has the best rested arm on the staff. He is still building endurance. What about the rest of them. Pitchers are always fresher and stronger in the early season. What happens when early season turns to mid season grind?

Post #: 298
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 2:02:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

Amazingly brisk game. Thanks to pitch clock and good pitching.

Too fast for me

Clock is ok, maybe a touch longer.

Hurry up and be done in 2 1/2 hours is not going to draw more people to games.

Hate it!

Now that you have just two hours of entertainment at a game, they have raised the prices of food to make up for the loss of revenue because of shorter games.

More money out of your pocket for less entertainment. And somehow they think this is going to equate to better fan support? Good luck with that.

It's bad enough that they have thrown out 120+ years of history with ridiculous rule changes. As a fan the original game of baseball, I'm offended and turned off by the league leadership.

Starting with a guy at second base in extra innings? It's just silly.

Not being able to align your defense how you want to? Beyond silly.

Last season the average attendance in baseball was around 26,500 per-game. 10 years earlier it was 30,800.

Last weekend in Kansas City, the second game of the series was on a Saturday. It was the first Saturday game of the season in Kansas City. 16,633 in attendance. Sunday's game, played in 72-degree weather.....14,589 in attendance. Baseball purists are not going to watch this garbage.

Problems I see:
1) Tanking teams like "KC Royals" is the problem---you won't see that in a St. Louis game. The baseball purists in St. Louis don't mind 36,000 but attendance is always worse before school is out (also). Twins attendance sank last year after they couldn't win a game in September.
2) Cold weather teams should start on the road for the majority of their first 2 weeks.
3) Prices on beer and food were high before the changes.
4) Covid affected attendance also.
5) Everyone hates the runner at 2nd but it all but eliminates the 15-22 inning games.

another problem is the uneven field that is in play.

New York Yankees, Mets, Dodgers can spend spend spend. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati etc etc can't hope to keep up and still make a profit. When you start every year with the assumption that all or most of the Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers are automatically in the playoffs...you have a problem.

You will inheriantly start losing fans int he smaller market as they start to feel like there is NO hope for their team to reach the promised land.

BING!

I look on this and have to disagree:
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I see more big payrolls and TB, Cleveland, Milwaukee seem to get it done in the bottom 10 of payrolls.

I see Oakland as barely trying but they are supposed to get a new stadium.....there are just some horrible FO out there also.

Yes, small market teams can "catch lightning in a bottle", but how many of them are a factor year in and year out?
Post #: 299
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 4/6/2023 2:18:55 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

Amazingly brisk game. Thanks to pitch clock and good pitching.

Too fast for me

Clock is ok, maybe a touch longer.

Hurry up and be done in 2 1/2 hours is not going to draw more people to games.

Hate it!

Now that you have just two hours of entertainment at a game, they have raised the prices of food to make up for the loss of revenue because of shorter games.

More money out of your pocket for less entertainment. And somehow they think this is going to equate to better fan support? Good luck with that.

It's bad enough that they have thrown out 120+ years of history with ridiculous rule changes. As a fan the original game of baseball, I'm offended and turned off by the league leadership.

Starting with a guy at second base in extra innings? It's just silly.

Not being able to align your defense how you want to? Beyond silly.

Last season the average attendance in baseball was around 26,500 per-game. 10 years earlier it was 30,800.

Last weekend in Kansas City, the second game of the series was on a Saturday. It was the first Saturday game of the season in Kansas City. 16,633 in attendance. Sunday's game, played in 72-degree weather.....14,589 in attendance. Baseball purists are not going to watch this garbage.

Problems I see:
1) Tanking teams like "KC Royals" is the problem---you won't see that in a St. Louis game. The baseball purists in St. Louis don't mind 36,000 but attendance is always worse before school is out (also). Twins attendance sank last year after they couldn't win a game in September.
2) Cold weather teams should start on the road for the majority of their first 2 weeks.
3) Prices on beer and food were high before the changes.
4) Covid affected attendance also.
5) Everyone hates the runner at 2nd but it all but eliminates the 15-22 inning games.

another problem is the uneven field that is in play.

New York Yankees, Mets, Dodgers can spend spend spend. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati etc etc can't hope to keep up and still make a profit. When you start every year with the assumption that all or most of the Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers are automatically in the playoffs...you have a problem.

You will inheriantly start losing fans int he smaller market as they start to feel like there is NO hope for their team to reach the promised land.

BING!

I look on this and have to disagree:
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I see more big payrolls and TB, Cleveland, Milwaukee seem to get it done in the bottom 10 of payrolls.

I see Oakland as barely trying but they are supposed to get a new stadium.....there are just some horrible FO out there also.

Yes, small market teams can "catch lightning in a bottle", but how many of them are a factor year in and year out?

It’s like the old, who needs a great QB, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, argument.

Well sure he did, but you know what? I think I’ll roll with Mahomes.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/6/2023 7:02:51 PM >
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode