Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/6/2023 10:45:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Ted
@tlschwerz
#MNTwins Pablo Lopez in 2023 - 2.7 fWAR

#Marlins Luis Arraez in 2023 - 2.7 fWAR

Interesting. As we got two prospects in the trade as well.

Who got the better end of that deal again?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1276
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/6/2023 12:52:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz

The problem with that is that any WAR related stat is garbage.

The value of the trade will play over years, not 3 months. The bottom line is that quality starting pitching is the hardest thing to come by. The Twins will find it a lot easier to pick up a bat at the deadline than a pitcher.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1277
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/6/2023 2:28:04 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz

The value of the trade will play over years, not 3 months. The bottom line is that quality starting pitching is the hardest thing to come by. The Twins will find it a lot easier to pick up a bat at the deadline than a pitcher.

Totally agree.

I am Anti-WAR. The truth is the Twins made a good deal. Got a good/very good starting pitcher. Plus a couple prospects and all it cost us was one guy that literally does one thing very well. Every other aspect of Arraez game is suspect. I think the much aligned (and rightfully so) front office got this one right.

Pablo is doing exactly what we want him to do.

Arraez chasing .400 makes this trade look stupid to those who really don't pay attention very well. But in the long run I think we got a great deal.

Post #: 1278
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:01:02 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Lopez on fire. Love that Arraez trade.

I'm pro Lopez trade too, I hope the pendulum swings more toward it being a good deal, but dominating the KC Royals is not the best measuring stick, is it?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1279
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 11:26:46 AM   
TJSweens

I think it was a trade where both teams got something they desperately needed and gave up something good to get it. I loved having Arraezin the order, but the guys getting his AB are doing well.

Kirilloff is batting 277, .378, .398, .776. I expect his slugging numbers to climb as he gets farther removed from his wrist surgery.
Donovan Solano is hitting 277, .374, .413, .787.

Both have decent averages and have OBP 100 or more points over their averages.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1280
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 2:29:18 PM   
David Levine

No team benefited more from the inaugural MLB Draft lottery than the Twins, who should have been slated to make their first-round selection at No. 13 but shot all the way up to No. 5 thanks to the variance instituted by the new rules.

And if there’s any Draft in which rising specifically into the top five could prove significant, it’s this one, because there’s a widespread consensus that there’s a clear top five that stands above the rest in this class -- and now, the Twins will be guaranteed to land one of those talents, if they so choose, when the first day of the Draft takes place on Sunday in Seattle.

“I mean, we’re excited just to be here, kind of,” said Twins vice president of amateur scouting Sean Johnson. “We’re going to try to do the best we can with that opportunity. And that’s how we see it. Just a chance to maybe access a better prospect in this Draft.”

So, in a sense, it could just be as simple as waiting to see which of the top-five talents remains after the first four teams have picked, and taking that final member of the group, which features LSU right-hander Paul Skenes, LSU outfielder Dylan Crews, Florida outfielder Wyatt Langford, North Carolina high school outfielder Walker Jenkins and Indiana high school outfielder Max Clark.

But is it really that easy?

“We never look at it as a certain amount of players in a Draft that we should consider,” Johnson said. “We always keep a really broad focus there. Whether it was a three-player Draft or a five-player Draft, from whatever narrative you want to get it from, we always expand our horizons. We keep as big of a pool as possible to select from.”

Johnson said the Twins have narrowed down their potential selection pool to roughly 10 players for that first-round pick, and it’s tough to imagine one of the LSU uber-talents -- Skenes or Crews -- falling to No. 5. But, as MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis has pointed out, there’s some thought that if one of the high school outfielders falls to the Twins, their model might favor a college hitter instead, based on their past track record.

“I think that’s certainly one of our MOs, is to take college performers,” Johnson said. “They do resonate well with our model and have for a while. And our model’s changing every year, it’s adapting.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-preparing-for-2023-draft

Is the Twins model something to be proud of, or stick slavishly to?
Post #: 1281
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 2:30:02 PM   
bstinger

quote:

I think it was a trade where both teams got something they desperately needed and gave up something good to get it. I loved having Arraezin the order, but the guys getting his AB are doing well.

Kirilloff is batting 277, .378, .398, .776. I expect his slugging numbers to climb as he gets farther removed from his wrist surgery.
Donovan Solano is hitting 277, .374, .413, .787.

Both have decent averages and have OBP 100 or more points over their averages.

Kirilloff is looking good at 1B.

Gallo needs to go and bring up Wallner.

--twinsfan
Post #: 1282
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 2:40:32 PM   
twinsfan

Gallo is underappreciated. Stellar defense at multiple positions and an OPS around .800.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1283
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 2:41:29 PM   
twinsfan

Larnach is the one that needs to be called up. He is ON FIRE at AAA.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1284
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 3:26:59 PM   
Trekgeekscott

One of Larnach or Wallner will be traded by the deadline for bullpen help. It will be the wrong guy to trade, because Kepler should go first.

Post #: 1285
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 4:00:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

No team benefited more from the inaugural MLB Draft lottery than the Twins, who should have been slated to make their first-round selection at No. 13 but shot all the way up to No. 5 thanks to the variance instituted by the new rules.

And if there’s any Draft in which rising specifically into the top five could prove significant, it’s this one, because there’s a widespread consensus that there’s a clear top five that stands above the rest in this class -- and now, the Twins will be guaranteed to land one of those talents, if they so choose, when the first day of the Draft takes place on Sunday in Seattle.

“I mean, we’re excited just to be here, kind of,” said Twins vice president of amateur scouting Sean Johnson. “We’re going to try to do the best we can with that opportunity. And that’s how we see it. Just a chance to maybe access a better prospect in this Draft.”

So, in a sense, it could just be as simple as waiting to see which of the top-five talents remains after the first four teams have picked, and taking that final member of the group, which features LSU right-hander Paul Skenes, LSU outfielder Dylan Crews, Florida outfielder Wyatt Langford, North Carolina high school outfielder Walker Jenkins and Indiana high school outfielder Max Clark.

“We never look at it as a certain amount of players in a Draft that we should consider,” Johnson said. “We always keep a really broad focus there. Whether it was a three-player Draft or a five-player Draft, from whatever narrative you want to get it from, we always expand our horizons. We keep as big of a pool as possible to select from.”

Johnson said the Twins have narrowed down their potential selection pool to roughly 10 players for that first-round pick, and it’s tough to imagine one of the LSU uber-talents -- Skenes or Crews -- falling to No. 5. But, as MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis has pointed out, there’s some thought that if one of the high school outfielders falls to the Twins, their model might favor a college hitter instead, based on their past track record.

“I think that’s certainly one of our MOs, is to take college performers,” Johnson said. “They do resonate well with our model and have for a while. And our model’s changing every year, it’s adapting.”

The model that has produced Brent Rooker, Trevor Larnach, Aaron Sabato in the first round.

Post #: 1286
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 4:07:41 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Gallo is underappreciated. Stellar defense at multiple positions and an OPS around .800.

I agree. He gets maligned because of his low average and high strike outs. He also draws enough walks that his OBP is more than 100 points higher than his average. He provides power and good defense. As you say, underappreciated.

Post #: 1287
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 5:14:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

The model that has produced Brent Rooker, Trevor Larnach, Aaron Sabato in the first round.

I'm still amazed we drafted a 40 year-old out of some local softball league with a 1st round pick...

Post #: 1288
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 5:47:32 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ted
@tlschwerz

Pablo Lopez value to me is pretty simple

Take him out of the rotation and put in someone else the Twins would have acquired or brought up.

What was old is new again
Post #: 1289
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 5:49:12 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

From the nerds on Twitter and their "sources"

The Twins are more likely to get Gonzalez, the college SS

SMH

What was old is new again
Post #: 1290
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 9:25:28 PM  1 votes
bstinger

Anyone else sick of these non-Bally's games? How many different subscriptions to you have do have to watch a below average team struggle to win a crappy division?????

--twinsfan
Post #: 1291
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:03:49 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

From the nerds on Twitter and their "sources"

The Twins are more likely to get Gonzalez, the college SS

SMH

And the Twins will once again outsmart themselves

Post #: 1292
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:13:45 PM   
twinsfan

Fake runner on 2B. Such a joke. We shoulda still been 1-1 going to the bottom of the 10th. But no. We were somehow down 3-1 after keeping them to 1 run all game. A total joke. Fake loss.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1293
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:15:33 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

All-Star Brent Rooker.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1294
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:17:22 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I agree. He gets maligned because of his low average and high strike outs. He also draws enough walks that his OBP is more than 100 points higher than his average. He provides power and good defense. As you say, underappreciated.

We are brilliant.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1295
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/7/2023 10:49:25 PM   
twinsfan

What are the chances that the 3 Twins radio broadcasters of the last 23 years (John Gordon, Dan Gladden and Cory Provus) all celebrate a July 7th birthday? I calculate it at 1 in 133,125. Agree?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1296
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/8/2023 1:17:08 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Anyone else sick of these non-Bally's games? How many different subscriptions to you have do have to watch a below average team struggle to win a crappy division?????

We need to sue MLB. They flat-out steal from us when they take the game away from Bally.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 7/8/2023 1:19:19 AM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1297
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/8/2023 7:01:46 AM   
TJSweens

KC leaves town and reality returns.

Post #: 1298
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/8/2023 12:22:55 PM   
twinsfan

What happened to former Twins prospect Shane Kennedy?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1299
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 7/8/2023 1:35:53 PM   
twinsfan

Can we change our All-Star?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode