Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/21/2023 5:48:44 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

After a ton of opportunities given to Moran, it makes little sense they don't give Kody Funderburk an opportunity. Winder and Sands even being on the roster right now is a waste of time.

Now they're chirping that Keuchel, who saved his career for another start after Sunday, could be part of a 6 man rotation to save arms. SMH

Keuchel was aided by a ridiculous strike zone. If he goes in TX, he will be shelled again. TX will score double digits.

The master plan is to have Kuechel, Maeda, and Ober as bullpen guys in the playoffs....

I don't know what Joe Ryan has done since May to secure a spot in the playoff rotation.

Healed his groin

What was old is new again
Post #: 1851
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/21/2023 7:15:15 PM   
Ricky J

Souhan: https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-twins-depth-injuries-playoffs-pitching-dallas-keuchel-byron-buxton-jim-souhan/600298507/ (Souhan, Mr Positivity anymore)

Stewart has effectively been replaced by Emilio Pagán, who has a 1.37 ERA in his last 27 appearances. (Gotta admit I sorta gave up on Pagan)

Keuchel's stunning performance Sunday seems to have made them even deeper. (That'd be great but I think I'll wait at least another start before I get too giddy)
Post #: 1852
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/21/2023 8:43:55 PM   
MDK

One person with knowledge of the Twins' thoughts said that they believe Buxton will be a better offensive player if he spends the game in the outfield, as opposed to moping between at-bats
when he doesn't get a hit

From Souhan's article.
An inside source.
What a scoop.
Buxton hits better as a positional player than as a DH.

Nobody here has suggested that.
Souhan with a great insightful article.
Again

The reason Trump's ass is so large is because all repub senators and representatives heads are up his ass
Post #: 1853
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 4:24:43 PM   
twinsfan

So the Twins are calling up Funderburk, Martin, Boyle, Williams and Henriquez in September. That should allow some of our main guys to get some rest before postseason.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1854
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 5:12:07 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

So the Twins are calling up Funderburk, Martin, Boyle, Williams and Henriquez in September. That should allow some of our main guys to get some rest before postseason.

Attaway to quote Ted's Twins Daily story. SMH

< Message edited by Mister Ed -- 8/22/2023 5:17:24 PM >

Post #: 1855
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 6:27:12 PM   
Mister Ed

Rookie League season is over. Jenkins is going to get a little time at FTM before instructional league starts.

Post #: 1856
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 7:31:08 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Luplow batting third is more embarrassing than him leading off. Well done, Rocco!
Post #: 1857
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 8:37:12 PM   
Ricky J

I have totally lost the feel for who should bat in what spot now days. When I was a pup if i wasnt batting 1st or 2nd I was not happy about it.
Post #: 1858
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 8:50:59 PM   
Mark Anderson

We're getting Roccoed again tonight.

Ober 78 pitches. Mowing them down the last 3 innings. Take him out.
Post #: 1859
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 8:57:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

It's almost as if he isn't even watching the game. Just looking at his pre game notepad.
Post #: 1860
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/22/2023 11:03:41 PM   
Jeff Allen

Our 61st loss tonight...I would have liked to see Ober throw one more inning.

26 of the losses have been decided in the 6th inning or later. Twins have been tied or ahead only to see the other team rally. Griffin Jax has lost seven games for the Twins by giving up the lead in the 7th or later. Duran has lost five. It's not only the bullpen...at times Rocco will let the starter go into the 7th and seven times they have lost the lead. Pagan has only blown one game...but he did give up the lead late only to see the Twins rally.

I am not sure how these numbers compare to other teams, but it just seems like the Twins lose a lot of games in the later innings.

6th -- 4 losses
7th -- 11 losses
8th -- 3 losses
9th -- 3 losses
10th -- 4 losses
12th -- 1 loss
Post #: 1861
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 6:34:43 AM   
ewen21

Do not accuse me of defending Rocco. I never wanted him hired and was against his extension, but I think chatter about Rocco mishandling the bullpen lacks necessary context. I still read this page from time to time and there seems to be a lot of complaining about Rocco going to the bullpen too soon as if that is ruining this ballclub. For starters, our bullpen has given up 364 hits. Only Houston's bullpen has given up fewer hits. Our bullpen has a WHIP that is ranked 13th in baseball. We are 10th in earned runs given up. What are we really talking about here?
https://www.covers.com/sport/baseball/mlb/statistics/team-bullpenera/2023

And there is more:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2023-reliever-pitching.shtml
Do you guys know what GR is? That is Games in Relief. They are the number of games in which a pitcher appears but is not the starting pitcher. We are well below the league average there.
Go watch major league baseball beyond this team. That is a gripe EVERYWHERE. What the hell are we supposed to do when Sonny Gray goes to the bump? This guy is a five to six inning pitcher and never was anything else.

I have an axe to grind with Rocco, but he is only here because of Falvey and Levine. THEY are the issue.

If I am picking the biggest problem outside of the front office or Rocco it is Byron Buxton. Far and away he is the worst thing on this team right now. Since the moment he threw his little tantrum at the end of the 2018 season he has been a problem. He was actually a problem before that offseason because hat year he hit .156 and was riddled with a variety of mysterious injuries. The Twins RIGHTLY did not call him up in September and went home like a little bitch leaving Rochester without informing the Twins and without taking any calls. He even blew off Molitor, Torii and Tommy Watkins. Rocco had to go down and see him and Sano during the winter after he was hired. I have never EVER heard of that in my 50 years of following major league baseball.

Buxton is simply not worth our time anymore, but he needs to be ripped for his lack of professionalism. The guy has played in more than 92 games ONCE. Last year the stated goal was to get him in 100 games. This past winter when fans on Twitter joked about him being injury prone he injected himself into the conversation and made himself look like an ass. He needed to be reprimanded for that. A lot was made early about what great character he had. What happened, because I have not seen it. No doubt, this organization created this Frankenstein and if I was GM I would find a way to throw him in the dumpster. Get rid of him and change the dynamic because having a guy like Buxton kills accountability across the board.

And as far as that Souhan article goes, he ought to be ashamed. He rips the fans for being "snooty"?? Excuse me? We have lost 18 straight playoff games so what is he even talking about trying to pump up this mediocre bunch? Sure anything can happen. The first real season I followed was 1973 and I actually attended some Met games that year. Dad took me and brother down to see them, two hours plus in that old Galaxie 500. This is NOT the 1987 Twins. That team needed to get past the Tigers. That was it. Now it must go through a few layers of far superior teams. If Souhan wanted to earn his money and do his job he would be relentlessly pressing the Twins on this ridiculous Buxton situation. What PRECISELY is wrong with his knee? That is the job of the press. You get answers for the fans, not rip them

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1862
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 6:41:45 AM   
Boyd Tesch

My wife and I are going to todays game. It's going to be hot. I hope its better than last night.
Post #: 1863
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 6:48:34 AM   
ewen21

This worst thing this team did was apologize for not calling up in September of 2018. They had no reason to call him up because he was crap there until the last few games when he got "hot" and he had not even seen major league pitching since May. Once Falvey and Levine apologized and Rocco went down to see him over the winter (which is absolutely insane to me) he was done. His ego exploded and became completely deluded.

You cannot have a team succeed with a player like this. He been given special treatment and while no one wants to say it, everyone in that clubhouse knows it. That destroys accountability which destroys the team culture. The Twins need to stop doing this, THey need to stop elevating players to special status--at least until whichever player actually is part of a championship team and plays everyday. Until then, I can do without making players into deities. It was done with Mauer (who at least earned it then fell off terribly) and it was done prematurely with Buxton

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1864
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 8:08:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Our 61st loss tonight...I would have liked to see Ober throw one more inning.

26 of the losses have been decided in the 6th inning or later. Twins have been tied or ahead only to see the other team rally. Griffin Jax has lost seven games for the Twins by giving up the lead in the 7th or later. Duran has lost five. It's not only the bullpen...at times Rocco will let the starter go into the 7th and seven times they have lost the lead. Pagan has only blown one game...but he did give up the lead late only to see the Twins rally.

I am not sure how these numbers compare to other teams, but it just seems like the Twins lose a lot of games in the later innings.

6th -- 4 losses
7th -- 11 losses
8th -- 3 losses
9th -- 3 losses
10th -- 4 losses
12th -- 1 loss

I'm pretty sure the Twins lead MLB in blown saves. Earlier in the year, we would complain about Moran, Jax, J. Lopez, etc. and the sheople would bleat out that the Twins bullpen had a top 6 era in baseball. Turns out, they were coughing up the lead more than anyone back then too.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1865
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 8:15:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Do not accuse me of defending Rocco. I never wanted him hired and was against his extension, but I think chatter about Rocco mishandling the bullpen lacks necessary context. I still read this page from time to time and there seems to be a lot of complaining about Rocco going to the bullpen too soon as if that is ruining this ballclub. For starters, our bullpen has given up 364 hits. Only Houston's bullpen has given up fewer hits. Our bullpen has a WHIP that is ranked 13th in baseball. We are 10th in earned runs given up. What are we really talking about here?

And there is more:
Do you guys know what GR is? That is Games in Relief. They are the number of games in which a pitcher appears but is not the starting pitcher. We are well below the league average there.
Go watch major league baseball beyond this team. That is a gripe EVERYWHERE. What the hell are we supposed to do when Sonny Gray goes to the bump? This guy is a five to six inning pitcher and never was anything else.

I have an axe to grind with Rocco, but he is only here because of Falvey and Levine. THEY are the issue.

If I am picking the biggest problem outside of the front office or Rocco it is Byron Buxton. Far and away he is the worst thing on this team right now. Since the moment he threw his little tantrum at the end of the 2018 season he has been a problem. He was actually a problem before that offseason because hat year he hit .156 and was riddled with a variety of mysterious injuries. The Twins RIGHTLY did not call him up in September and went home like a little bitch leaving Rochester without informing the Twins and without taking any calls. He even blew off Molitor, Torii and Tommy Watkins. Rocco had to go down and see him and Sano during the winter after he was hired. I have never EVER heard of that in my 50 years of following major league baseball.

Buxton is simply not worth our time anymore, but he needs to be ripped for his lack of professionalism. The guy has played in more than 92 games ONCE. Last year the stated goal was to get him in 100 games. This past winter when fans on Twitter joked about him being injury prone he injected himself into the conversation and made himself look like an ass. He needed to be reprimanded for that. A lot was made early about what great character he had. What happened, because I have not seen it. No doubt, this organization created this Frankenstein and if I was GM I would find a way to throw him in the dumpster. Get rid of him and change the dynamic because having a guy like Buxton kills accountability across the board.

And as far as that Souhan article goes, he ought to be ashamed. He rips the fans for being "snooty"?? Excuse me? We have lost 18 straight playoff games so what is he even talking about trying to pump up this mediocre bunch? Sure anything can happen. The first real season I followed was 1973 and I actually attended some Met games that year. Dad took me and brother down to see them, two hours plus in that old Galaxie 500. This is NOT the 1987 Twins. That team needed to get past the Tigers. That was it. Now it must go through a few layers of far superior teams. If Souhan wanted to earn his money and do his job he would be relentlessly pressing the Twins on this ridiculous Buxton situation. What PRECISELY is wrong with his knee? That is the job of the press. You get answers for the fans, not rip them

So St. Louis was a slouch?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/23/2023 8:18:43 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1866
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 8:25:14 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

And there is more:

Twins bullpen; 13th in save opportunities, 1st in blown saves, 21st in saves. That they are lower in GR isn't surprising, since Rocco often uses relievers for 2 innings.

Agree 100% on the Souhan article.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1867
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 8:31:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

I didn't realize Ober only threw 50 innings last year so I understand trying to protect him, somewhat, but basically they gave away the game yesterday.

Post #: 1868
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 9:43:30 AM   
ronhextall

Souhan demands fans show up and buy $12 beers to watch a team on an 18 game post season losing streak.

I think I was actually at the last home playoff game they won. I think it was game 1 of the 2002 ALCS.

I don't think Rocco has any say in the managing of the team, even at the single game level. Comes from the geeks upstairs. Rocco takes the heat for their tinkering. Like old school Mafia bosses and their lieutenants.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 8/23/2023 9:45:17 AM >
Post #: 1869
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 10:44:45 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

And there is more:

So St. Louis was a slouch?

Phil, I have no idea what you mean. If are referring to the 1987 Cardinals then no way they were a slouch.

There is a lot of stuff that said before that. Kind of an odd takeaway, but OK.

Hi Phil

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1870
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 11:10:07 AM   
Ricky J

d

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 8/23/2023 11:12:20 AM >
Post #: 1871
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 11:12:55 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Souhan demands fans show up and buy $12 beers to watch a team on an 18 game post season losing streak.

I think I was actually at the last home playoff game they won. I think it was game 1 of the 2002 ALCS.

I don't think Rocco has any say in the managing of the team, even at the single game level. Comes from the geeks upstairs. Rocco takes the heat for their tinkering. Like old school Mafia bosses and their lieutenants.

I dutifully made a 30 minute ride to the Poughkeepsie train station and then an hour and change to the Bronx on the train almost every season in order to see the Twins lose no less than ten games in a row against the Yankees. A whole bunch of those times I went alone in Twins gear. They won a game in 2001 where Eric Milton pitched a 3 hitter, but I did not see a win until 2016. That was a long and painful run for me, but then that is me. Been to the Twin Cities around ten times to see them as well. How am I wine snob?

Point is, Souhan needs to do his job and report on the team. The Twins media corps is horrible. They tend to write from a perspective that they can't ask follow up questions because they don't want to lose entry into the clubhouse. Screw them if that happens. Let them look like jackasses. The entire league would DESTROY the Twins if they ever did that. They do not have that kind of leverage so just dig and slug away on them. Rocco had them on their heels when he went into his little soliloquy about Buxton not being able to play CF. That explanation was not good enough and it required follow up questions. Who cares if Rocco would have gotten upset there? Let him make an ass out of himself! At no point has there been any reasonable explanation about Buxton not being able to play the outfield. Somehow magically after two weeks on the IL his knee is a lot better? After about 8 months of it not being possible suddenly he's good? Pretty convenient of him to pick now when the knee FINALLY feels better.

This is ALL from the geeks upstairs. They hired Rocco and handed him their binder entitled "How to Manage This Team". Why the hell else would they hire a bro with no experience? Rocco is actually taking the fall for a the front office AND Buxton. It is high time Buxton gets his feet held to the fire because it is starting to look like he's milking the system and Falvey and Levine are too weak to handle him,.

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1872
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 11:22:09 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

And there is more:

Twins bullpen; 13th in save opportunities, 1st in blown saves, 21st in saves. That they are lower in GR isn't surprising, since Rocco often uses relievers for 2 innings.

Agree 100% on the Souhan article.

Glad you agree on the Souhan article, but you are going to need to post your source on blown saves. Baseball-Reference shows this:
We are near the bottom but we are not last. Also, that is on the guy closing the game and moreso on the dudes who made the roster, not nearly as much the guy pushing the buttons.

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1873
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 11:24:39 AM   
TJSweens

Rocco is not taking a fall. THE biggest reason for his hiring was his devotion to analytics. Falvine isn't managing through Rocco. Rockhead is exactly the manager they thought he was.

If you have been following this forum, you know that Falvine's incompetence on every level has been thoroughly documented and chronicled here. Everything from their miserable scouting, to their putrid drafting, lousy player development, not knowing who to sign and who to let go, weak track record on trades, wretched coaching hires....it's all been hashed and rehashed in here.

Post #: 1874
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 8/23/2023 11:30:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Rocco is not taking a fall. THE biggest reason for his hiring was his devotion to analytics. Falvine isn't managing through Rocco. Rockhead is exactly the manager they thought he was.

If you have been following this forum, you know that Falvine's incompetence on every level has been thoroughly documented and chronicled here. Everything from their miserable scouting, to their putrid drafting, lousy player development, not knowing who to sign and who to let go, weak track record on trades, wretched coaching hires....it's all been hashed and rehashed in here.

The main reasons the Twins are winning is that Falvine is the 4th worst President/GM combo (or best) in our division. IMO Rocco actually may be the 3rd best manager in the division....Francona and Hitch are better managers easily; they don't have the players to compete this year.

CSW GM and VP were both fired......Cleveland has had almost all their pitching staff injured.

We were picked to be 2nd or 3rd in the division so they have that going for them any way.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/23/2023 11:35:05 AM >

Post #: 1875
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode