Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/17/2023 9:35:11 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Late Rally Falls Short

That's because Vazquez batted again. Why? Jeffers could have PH. He must have felt left out, the only one not getting to play.

PH early is sooo Rocco

And quite often a wasted of an at bat.

There is no reason for Vazquez to get the same or more games as Jeffers. Ryan Jeffers should get every start in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more.
Rocco is why I think Twins playoff futility will continue

I said, ‘don’t do it, you can’t do it Vladimir, you do it, it’s gonna be a bad day. You cannot do it.’ And he said ‘no way,’ and I said, ‘way.’”
Valley Girls discussing a Russian invasion of Ukraine
Post #: 2176
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/17/2023 12:34:48 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

quote:

Late Rally Falls Short

That's because Vazquez batted again. Why? Jeffers could have PH. He must have felt left out, the only one not getting to play.

PH early is sooo Rocco

There is no reason for Vazquez to get the same or more games as Jeffers. Ryan Jeffers should get every start in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more.

Have pictured the way that game ended, Rocco having gassed his bench, and Vazquez hits and ends the season.

What was old is new again
Post #: 2177
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/17/2023 12:37:07 PM   
Mister Ed

Rocco's wife expecting Twins. He's on leave. Tingler's up.
I expect SOS regarding too many changes too early.

Post #: 2178
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/17/2023 4:29:24 PM   
Mister Ed

Gray needs to be re-signed

Julien 3 run dinger and the magic number is 6

Post #: 2179
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/17/2023 9:40:35 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Late Rally Falls Short

PH early is sooo Rocco

It's because Vazquez (astonishingly) makes more than 10 times Jeffers salary. A desperate ongoing effort to allow Vazquez to prove his worth...which has failed. Also, I suspect it's Twins penny pinching. Jeffers is on a one year deal. Can't let him build up too many stats so he gets too expensive.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/17/2023 9:44:56 PM >
Post #: 2180
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 6:59:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

He should be

He won't be

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2181
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 7:36:15 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Late Rally Falls Short

PH early is sooo Rocco

Smart managers would use a righty opener, then a lefty, then righties after that. Rocco will replace all his good lefties right away and be left with the less good righties for the balance of the game. He's dense.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2182
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 7:37:57 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Julien 3 run dinger and the magic number is 6

I'd like him back, but I think he hates Rocco, so he'd probably need to get canned for him to stay. I call that a Win-Win!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2183
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 7:39:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I am worried that he will count on Ober, Varland, and Paddock as options...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2184
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 7:49:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I'm worried that they already loving Varland coming out of the pen. The Twins love moving their starting prospects to the bullpen.

Right now next year's top 3 projects to Lopez, Ryan, Ober. It wouldn't surprise me if they resigned Maeda to a team friendly deal.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2185
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:10:38 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

Gray has never been a free agent. He has said all along that he was not signing an extension and he's going to sign where he wants to sign. That likely means closer to home. There's nothing to blame the Twins for here.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2186
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:19:51 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I'm worried that they already loving Varland coming out of the pen. The Twins love moving their starting prospects to the bullpen.

Right now next year's top 3 projects to Lopez, Ryan, Ober. It wouldn't surprise me if they resigned Maeda to a team friendly deal.

It's called Trevor May syndrome.

Varland sees the writing on the wall, so he's trying to get out ahead of it.

It's a no-win situation for him. He can purposely suck out of the bullpen in hopes that it gets him back to being a starting pitcher. But that hurts the team. Or he can be lights-out in the bullpen and the Twins will never move him back into a starting role because why fix something that ain't broke?

It's exactly what happened to Trevor May. He was our best starting pitcher for about a 3-month stretch back in whatever the year was when he last started games. Then someone returned from injury, and as we were nearing an end-of-the-season push for a playoff spot, they moved May into a high-leverage bullpen role. He continued to pitch well, even better, and before you know it - BOOM!...you're a reliever for the rest of your career.

Luckily for May, it turned out OK overall because it was in an era when teams were valuing relievers just as much as starters...right off the heels of the Royals method of bullpen dominance. So Trevor May signed a pretty significant contract with the Mets.

Things are swinging back the other way right now, and bullpen arms are not getting the big contracts compared to what starting pitchers are getting. They are messing with Varland's livelihood. He has tried to make the Twins promise that he will go back to being a starter after this season. The problem is there is no such thing as a promise with a professional baseball organization unless it's in writing. I don't think this will be in writing. It's probably not legal to put it in writing.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2187
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:32:37 AM   
TJSweens

Yes, I remember May moving to the pen to make room for the return of Mike Pelfry.

Varland has only had a handful of starts in the major leagues and has had no health issues. It would be a shame if they gave up on him as a starter just because they liked his brief stint in the bullpen.

Post #: 2188
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:36:25 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

Gray has never been a free agent. He has said all along that he was not signing an extension and he's going to sign where he wants to sign. That likely means closer to home. There's nothing to blame the Twins for here.

You're projecting a bit on his thought process. Either way, history says the Twins will not bid competitvely to keep their own players.

Post #: 2189
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:50:49 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

You're forgetting Paddack.

"The same people who voted for him because "he says what he means" are arguing he didn't mean what he said."
Post #: 2190
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 9:55:29 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

BINGO

He'll Pinch hit for a guy with two home runs and a double because the anal-ytics say right hander should face left hander.

It's downright stupid.

I don't understand how a left handed hitter is ever going to get better at facing lefthanders if you don't ever let them face left handers.

Rocco would be dumb enough to pinch hit for Royce Lewis with the bases loaded if the anal-ytics say so.

"The same people who voted for him because "he says what he means" are arguing he didn't mean what he said."
Post #: 2191
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 10:48:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

It's a no-win situation for him. He can purposely suck out of the bullpen in hopes that it gets him back to being a starting pitcher. But that hurts the team. Or he can be lights-out in the bullpen and the Twins will never move him back into a starting role because why fix something that ain't broke?

It's exactly what happened to Trevor May. He was our best starting pitcher for about a 3-month stretch back in whatever the year was when he last started games. Then someone returned from injury, and as we were nearing an end-of-the-season push for a playoff spot, they moved May into a high-leverage bullpen role. He continued to pitch well, even better, and before you know it - BOOM!...you're a reliever for the rest of your career.

Luckily for May, it turned out OK overall because it was in an era when teams were valuing relievers just as much as starters...right off the heels of the Royals method of bullpen dominance. So Trevor May signed a pretty significant contract with the Mets.

Things are swinging back the other way right now, and bullpen arms are not getting the big contracts compared to what starting pitchers are getting. They are messing with Varland's livelihood. He has tried to make the Twins promise that he will go back to being a starter after this season. The problem is there is no such thing as a promise with a professional baseball organization unless it's in writing. I don't think this will be in writing. It's probably not legal to put it in writing.

I totally disagree....May only has his fastball and it was way better out of the bullpen. His breaking ball and changeup where barely average and they tried to make him a starter and he only pitched slightly over 100 innings. Physically he couldn't be a starter.

Varland has a cut fastball that looks very good.....which would put him at 2 pitches.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/18/2023 10:50:57 AM >

Post #: 2192
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:12:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I totally disagree....May only has his fastball and it was way better out of the bullpen. His breaking ball and changeup where barely average and they tried to make him a starter and he only pitched slightly over 100 innings. Physically he couldn't be a starter.

Varland has a cut fastball that looks very good.....which would put him at 2 pitches.

I don't think they are giving up on Varland as a Starting pitcher yet. I think they are just trying to get some better pitching out of their bullpen for the stretch drive.

They have Plenty of starters right now (some can go bye bye anytime imho, Dallas Kuechel) So they are trying to use some of the more talented young pitchers in the bullpen role for now.

Varland seems to be taking to it well.

Post #: 2193
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:24:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

Im not forgetting him. I just don't know if the Twins look at him as a starter or reliever at this point.

Post #: 2194
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:33:57 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

Im not forgetting him. I just don't know if the Twins look at him as a starter or reliever at this point.

I don't think they'd give him the extention while still recovering from his second TJ, to pitch out of the bullpen.

Post #: 2195
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:40:55 AM   
twinsfan

Do the Twins dare leave Donovan Solano off the playoff roster? I don't see him serving much of a purpose on the roster anymore.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2196
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:41:45 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I totally disagree with you.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2197
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 11:47:11 AM   
twinsfan

D-backs rookie Corbin Carroll is by far the fastest runner in baseball.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2198
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 1:54:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He should be

He won't be

I totally disagree with you.

So he didn't miss all of 2017 and part of 2016 due to elbow issues?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/18/2023 1:56:07 PM >

Post #: 2199
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/18/2023 4:09:47 PM   
Phil Riewer

Nick Nelson
@NickNelsonMN
·
3m
Luplow filled his role solidly but he's not really the caliber of player you want on a playoff roster, so this felt inevitable
Do-Hyoung Park
@dohyoungpark
·
10m
The #MNTwins designated Jordan Luplow for assignment. That opens a roster spot for Michael A. Taylor, who is active and in the lineup today.

Post #: 2200
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode