Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2023 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 9:13:33 AM   
marty

I think the Vikings are either moving up to draft Richardson, or they will again trade down, and select Hooker in the early 2nd, if he is still there.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 126
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/20/2023 7:28:28 PM   
lyle chabot

I believe we will trade down to try and acquire more picks. I would prefer a corner with the first pick, but they may go with a WR. For me after last year's draft, hard for to get excited with the draft.
Post #: 127
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/20/2023 7:40:28 PM   
Todd M

I dislike that of the 2 ways the wind is blowing strongest is a) trade for the guy coming off the knee injury or b) drafting the guy coming off the knee injury.
Post #: 128
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/20/2023 8:30:21 PM   
Mark Anderson

Cook & #87 for Miami WR Cedric Wilson Jr. & #51
Post #: 129
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 10:07:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
10h
I asked
@vikingterritory
writers to predict the Vikings 1st pick -- not who they want; who they predict -- whether trading up, trading down, or staying put.

In order, this was the outcome:

1. Quentin Johnston (TCU, WR)
2. Deonte Banks (CB, Maryland)
3. Brian Branch (S, Alabama)

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 130
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 10:40:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
10h
I asked
@vikingterritory
writers to predict the Vikings 1st pick -- not who they want; who they predict -- whether trading up, trading down, or staying put.

I think you can find a good quality CB or WR later in the draft. We need some front 7 help.
Post #: 131
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 1:04:39 PM   
joejitsu

It’s going to be a tough draft weekend because we have a lot of needs and only a few picks. We need a big idl, another lb or two, some corners, and better options at center and lg. And that’s just a start. We will have to put our trust in Kwesi and Co. to hit home runs with every pick.
Post #: 132
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 1:06:33 PM   
lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
10h
I asked
@vikingterritory

My choice is Deonte Banks, we have very little CB depth.
Post #: 133
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 1:57:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

It’s going to be a tough draft weekend because we have a lot of needs and only a few picks. We need a big idl, another lb or two, some corners, and better options at center and lg. And that’s just a start. We will have to put our trust in Kwesi and Co. to hit home runs with every pick.

I lost some faith in Kwesi last year while the draft was going on and then with the pitiful early returns afterwards.

But just on the QB intrigue alone ... which is at a critical juncture for the franchise ... this should be interesting. It will also start to give a track record for Kwesi ... to see where he stands as a GM.

If its not a first rd QB, CB or WR ... I may head over to netflix for the rest of the draft.

Trading down to 30-32 and taking a non-QB or CB or WR and I will be running headfirst into a wall.
Post #: 134
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:00:56 PM   
marty

Tom, would you be ok with a trade down, and then taking a safety who could be a slot CB like Brian Branch ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 135
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:10:27 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Tom, would you be ok with a trade down, and then taking a safety who could be a slot CB like Brian Branch ?

I like Brian Branch at 23 so sure after a trade down ... but he's a hybrid player and, not IMO just a safety.

(I don't believe we have a true slot CB)

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/21/2023 2:11:37 PM >
Post #: 136
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:26:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

I lost some faith in Kwesi last year while the draft was going on and then with the pitiful early returns afterwards.

But just on the QB intrigue alone ... which is at a critical juncture for the franchise ... this should be interesting. It will also start to give a track record for Kwesi ... to see where he stands as a GM.

If its not a first rd QB, CB or WR ... I may head over to netflix for the rest of the draft.

Trading down to 30-32 and taking a non-QB or CB or WR and I will be running headfirst into a wall.

50-50 he does that again, ultimately trading a 1st and 3rd for two 2nds. And instead of simply saying he thinks that's the sweet spot of the draft, he will launch into some Kwesi-ese mumbo jumbo before abruptly ending and awkwardly turning the mic over to KOC.
Post #: 137
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:44:02 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I like Brian Branch at 23 so sure after a trade down ... but he's a hybrid player and, not IMO just a safety.

(I don't believe we have a true slot CB)

This is not a bad idea. Sullivan was awful.
Post #: 138
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:45:09 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

50-50 he does that again, ultimately trading a 1st and 3rd for two 2nds. And instead of simply saying he thinks that's the sweet spot of the draft, he will launch into some Kwesi-ese mumbo jumbo before abruptly ending and awkwardly turning the mic over to KOC.

I'm sure we will be hearing about Cine and Booth being healthy so it will be like we had three 1st rounders.
Post #: 139
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 2:46:26 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

For sure ... at least we'll know its not a 'rookie GM' deal, just a 'lame GM' deal.

With the Jameson Williams suspension today, I bet the Lions are already shopping prospects (in Brunello Cucinelli's Spring line of socks) for their trade offers to Kwesi.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/21/2023 2:48:54 PM >
Post #: 140
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/21/2023 9:43:06 PM   
marty

Chad Reuter of NFL.com has my idea for the Vikings, although I have them going up to #3 for Richardson, he has the Vikings trading with the Eagles spot at #10 and taking Richardson:

https://share.newsbreak.com/3mzuv063

I would love this, yet I would still want them to draft DTR in the 4th or 5th round (although I think DTR will be drafted in the 2nd round, maybe even late 1st).

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 141
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 7:38:58 AM   
BisonFan

I have no real idea how this first round pick/draft will go. I am feeling like others they will trade down to get an extra pick. Of course, this could all change with a trade of Hunter and others. Just want it to be a smart/productive draft.
Post #: 142
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 8:31:38 AM   
Bill Johanesen

ESPN says in 2022, 78 of his prospects were selected in the top 100.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/36184202/2023-nfl-draft-jeff-legwold-ranking-top-100-prospects

38. Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia, 6-1 ¾, 207 (4.36)
The size, speed, physicality and willingness to tackle are all top shelf for Ringo. But he's drawn a few too many flags at times and surrendered big plays, despite the Bulldogs' dominance in rushing the passer, because he doesn't always locate the ball quickly enough. He has four career interceptions and 19 career pass break-ups.

Plus one of the following:

55. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa, 6-4 5/8, 249 (4.65)
Campbell has a quality multisport profile, having led Cedar Falls (Iowa) High School to back-to-back state basketball titles. He's tall for the position -- he played inside for the Hawkeyes -- but he plays with quality eye discipline as he moves efficiently to the ball and is a sure tackler. He has 143 tackles in 2021 and 128 tackles this past season.

57. Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame, 6-5 1/8, 264 (4.58)
Foskey had back-to-back 11-sack seasons to close out his career. A team captain, he has all he needs to be an impactful, disruptive player on the edge, but there are too many moments when he isn't. He doesn't always keep blockers' hands off him despite a reach advantage. Special teams coaches will notice he blocked four punts in his career, two in one game.

58. Keeanu Benton. DT, Wisconsin, 6-3 ¾, 309 (5.08)
Longtime defensive line coach Jim Washburn once told me "pads high, say goodbye'' and Benton is that player. When he plays with quality technique, he is a fierce presence on the inside who repeatedly gets blockers off balance like a future NFL starter should. But when he plays too high, and he does at times, he surrenders far too much ground or gets entangled.

59. Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor, 6-2 7/8, 335 (5.39)
Scouts say Ika needs to improve his technique in how he handles blockers, but some of that deficiency can be attributed to his ability to simply overpower them to this point. He's quick off the ball, drives his hands through blockers and disrupts flow. If he can play with a little more vision when he discards blockers, he could make far more splash plays -- he had just two tackles for loss this past season.

60. DJ Turner II, CB, Michigan, 5-11 ¼, 178 (4.26)
In the nickel defense world the NFL has become, Turner has flexibility in that he can line up outside or inside in the slot. He was the fastest player timed at the scouting combine this year and started 22 games over his last two seasons with the Wolverines. He doesn't win contested passes as much as some others and occasionally gets pushed off the spot at the top of the route.
Post #: 143
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 8:44:17 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Positions we could double down on with the first two picks:

CB - Not sold on Booth and Evans has had concussions.

DL - Talent infusion at DT and DE.

ILB/Edge - One of each, although I'd rather see picks at CB and DL.
Post #: 144
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 10:59:53 AM   
marty

Should the 49ers trade Lance, I wonder if they will get 1 of the top 4 or 5 QBs in this draft, or will they snipe the QB I like: DTR ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 145
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 11:12:04 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Should the 49ers trade Lance, I wonder if they will get 1 of the top 4 or 5 QBs in this draft, or will they snipe the QB I like: DTR ?

I don’t see them having the ammo to get a Top 4 QB.

What is Lance’s value? 3rd round? Maybe late 2nd if there is a mini bidding war?
Post #: 146
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 11:26:05 AM   
marty

I am having trouble understanding the 49ers trading Lance, do they mistakenly think they can get a 1st rounder for him ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 147
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 12:37:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I am having trouble understanding the 49ers trading Lance, do they mistakenly think they can get a 1st rounder for him ?

My guess is they don't think he's good and are trying to get decent value for him while he still has some.
Post #: 148
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 1:17:51 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ESPN says in 2022, 78 of his prospects were selected in the top 100.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/36184202/2023-nfl-draft-jeff-legwold-ranking-top-100-prospects

38. Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia, 6-1 ¾, 207 (4.36)
The size, speed, physicality and willingness to tackle are all top shelf for Ringo. But he's drawn a few too many flags at times and surrendered big plays, despite the Bulldogs' dominance in rushing the passer, because he doesn't always locate the ball quickly enough. He has four career interceptions and 19 career pass break-ups.

Plus one of the following:

55. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa, 6-4 5/8, 249 (4.65)
Campbell has a quality multisport profile, having led Cedar Falls (Iowa) High School to back-to-back state basketball titles. He's tall for the position -- he played inside for the Hawkeyes -- but he plays with quality eye discipline as he moves efficiently to the ball and is a sure tackler. He has 143 tackles in 2021 and 128 tackles this past season.

57. Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame, 6-5 1/8, 264 (4.58)
Foskey had back-to-back 11-sack seasons to close out his career. A team captain, he has all he needs to be an impactful, disruptive player on the edge, but there are too many moments when he isn't. He doesn't always keep blockers' hands off him despite a reach advantage. Special teams coaches will notice he blocked four punts in his career, two in one game.

58. Keeanu Benton. DT, Wisconsin, 6-3 ¾, 309 (5.08)
Longtime defensive line coach Jim Washburn once told me "pads high, say goodbye'' and Benton is that player. When he plays with quality technique, he is a fierce presence on the inside who repeatedly gets blockers off balance like a future NFL starter should. But when he plays too high, and he does at times, he surrenders far too much ground or gets entangled.

59. Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor, 6-2 7/8, 335 (5.39)
Scouts say Ika needs to improve his technique in how he handles blockers, but some of that deficiency can be attributed to his ability to simply overpower them to this point. He's quick off the ball, drives his hands through blockers and disrupts flow. If he can play with a little more vision when he discards blockers, he could make far more splash plays -- he had just two tackles for loss this past season.

60. DJ Turner II, CB, Michigan, 5-11 ¼, 178 (4.26)
In the nickel defense world the NFL has become, Turner has flexibility in that he can line up outside or inside in the slot. He was the fastest player timed at the scouting combine this year and started 22 games over his last two seasons with the Wolverines. He doesn't win contested passes as much as some others and occasionally gets pushed off the spot at the top of the route.

Ringo and Turner are borderline first rd CBs depending on what site you look at. I could easily see us retreating back to pick 31 or 32, taking one of them ... then moving up with our new 2nd or 3rd rder and converting that into a highly-valued injury-based dropper. Because in the end, we do what we do.

Also, Jack Campbell looks really interesting ... maybe Flores can have someone distract Kwesi in the War-room while he covertly calls in the card for a full-sized LB. Is it any wonder Flores is in hot water with the league?
Post #: 149
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/22/2023 1:51:56 PM   
lyle chabot

quote:

quote:

Tom, I agree with you, hopefully we are both wrong.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode