Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 5:15:02 PM   
Todd M

Call it a gift. Call it a great win. It's the most exciting game I've ever watched.

That regular season team had something special. It just didn't have enough gas.

If it had Flores and a bit better health they could have won it all.
Post #: 251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 5:23:43 PM   
Todd M

If KOC is a better coach and play caller it'll go a long way towards emulating similar regular success this year.

I think the team will be fully bought in and the the atmosphere great. Just need more from KOC.
Post #: 252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 6:32:24 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

If KOC is a better coach and play caller it'll go a long way towards emulating similar regular success this year.

I think the team will be fully bought in and the the atmosphere great. Just need more from KOC.

And id bet he agrees with you. And why wouldn't he be better the second year?
We could very well be a very exciting team to watch
Post #: 253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 7:24:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I don't know about the name calling at the end....maybe you think it is funny?

Its hilarious, given how far you go to step around a reasonable explanation.

Even when obvious indisputable video evidence is put before you.

So yeah, if you’re going to ‘publish’ that crap in here and be stubbornly obtuse … I’m going to name and label it for what it is.
Post #: 254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 8:21:31 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Call it a gift. Call it a great win. It's the most exciting game I've ever watched.

Yes, last year had something special … and some of that something was just dumb luck. An extra big helping. Not all of it, some of it.

Don’t misunderstand me … it was fun, I’m grateful, I’ve never seen anything like it … 13-4 demolished my expectations … I embrace the fact that I was so wrong about how the team and Cousins specifically could perform at times.

But you either choose to evaluate the team superficially, based in some unbelievable moments and a regular season record against mostly ok teams - including a Buff team that did not play up to its reputation; or you evaluate the team honestly against the other good teams. We were simply not a legitimate contender. By the end of the year, we were at the bottom of the SECOND tier teams … getting soundly beaten by non-playoff teams DET GB, barely beating non-playoff teams INDY NYJ PATS … and eventually losing to arguably the only worse playoff team than us.

Gzuz that wasn’t running out of gas or injury issues … that was not being lucky enough and/or not constantly digging ourselves out of our own holes … against teams that were there for the taking.

Hope this year is better. Maybe not in W-L record or dramatic finishes but certainly in terms of improvement over the course of the season. That simply didn’t happen last year.
Post #: 255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 10:41:47 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It's funny that people on here continue to refer to the Buffalo "win". We didn't "win" that game, it was gifted to us by a once in a generation type catch and Josh Allen making the most glaring gaffe of the season.

This board, in general, will be much better served, IMO, if we all take a deep breath and tell ourselves that all those breaks aren't likely to continue.

We were "gifted" by a once in a generation type catch? Was Buffalo also gifted by the almost a once in a generation type catch that Diggs made?
Post #: 256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 11:42:25 PM   
Nate

Last year we caught lightening in a bottle for a while. A new regime basking in positivity, a new modern offensive scheme that focuses more on the talent we have and what we do well. For a while they played above their talent level, believing in the message, each other, and that the universe might want them to win this time. Eventually they sank to their talent level and couldn’t overcome a horrid defensive scheme, a lack of defensive talent and an AWOL draft class (and KFC reverted to confounding game on the line play).

I’m cautious about the staff. Zimmer came in and the new message made for some good years but eventually his toxic negativity wore thin. The current new regime is a 180 from that but I’m hoping they aren’t just toxic positivity. There needs to be compassion mixed with straight talk and accountability. Year two will be telling on how we handle adversity for I fear we’re in for a rough ride. I do like the energy though and would expect KOC improves as he goes. The verdict is still very much out on KAM though. I didn’t like the first draft at all and am lukewarm on the second. I think we get bullied in the trenches like always. Hopefully Addison is a star. Hopefully our youngsters can make an impact. With the low haul from Z and the “do right by cook” mentality, we’re not necessarily doing right by the team. Gotta get value on these things, we’re getting schooled in trades in and out of the draft.
Post #: 257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 3:27:41 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate

Last year we caught lightening in a bottle for a while. A new regime basking in positivity, a new modern offensive scheme that focuses more on the talent we have and what we do well. For a while they played above their talent level, believing in the message, each other, and that the universe might want them to win this time. Eventually they sank to their talent level and couldn’t overcome a horrid defensive scheme, a lack of defensive talent and an AWOL draft class (and KFC reverted to confounding game on the line play).

I’m cautious about the staff. Zimmer came in and the new message made for some good years but eventually his toxic negativity wore thin. The current new regime is a 180 from that but I’m hoping they aren’t just toxic positivity. There needs to be compassion mixed with straight talk and accountability. Year two will be telling on how we handle adversity for I fear we’re in for a rough ride. I do like the energy though and would expect KOC improves as he goes. The verdict is still very much out on KAM though. I didn’t like the first draft at all and am lukewarm on the second. I think we get bullied in the trenches like always. Hopefully Addison is a star. Hopefully our youngsters can make an impact. With the low haul from Z and the “do right by cook” mentality, we’re not necessarily doing right by the team. Gotta get value on these things, we’re getting schooled in trades in and out of the draft.

Good post. Hard to know what to expect. Looking forward.
Post #: 258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 3:31:19 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

It's funny that people on here continue to refer to the Buffalo "win". We didn't "win" that game, it was gifted to us by a once in a generation type catch and Josh Allen making the most glaring gaffe of the season.

This board, in general, will be much better served, IMO, if we all take a deep breath and tell ourselves that all those breaks aren't likely to continue.

We were "gifted" by a once in a generation type catch? Was Buffalo also gifted by the almost a once in a generation type catch that Diggs made?

You cant minimize the difference between the miraculous and the very good. Well … you shouldnt.

If youve seen the recent nfl.com video of JJ reviewing his best 2023 catches, he is still in disbelief that he came down with it.
Post #: 259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 9:14:40 AM   
Ricky J

But aren't we just hyper focusing on how the Vikes got "lucky" and none of the breaks the other teams had?
Cant bring up how we got screwed and [they] got lucky but it's ok to bring up how the other team got screwed and we got lucky
<shrugi

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 5/20/2023 8:32:49 PM >
Post #: 260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 9:40:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

But aren't we just hyper focusing on how the Vikes got "lucky" and none of the breaks the other teams had?
Cant bring up how we got screwed and got lucky but it's ok to bring up how the other team got screwed and we got lucky
<shrugi

True. Buffalo got extremely lucky when they scored a TD on a pass where Bynam was set up for an easy interception...until the official run into him and knocked him down.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 10:16:16 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Cant bring up how we got screwed and got lucky but it's ok to bring up how the other team got screwed and we got lucky
<shrugi

I think if our losses were as tight as our wins that would absolutely be something.

But we got destroyed in our losses. With only the Lions game being close to respectable.

7-24
3-40
23-34
17-41
Post #: 262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 10:39:57 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

<shrugi

I think if our losses were as tight as our wins that would absolutely be something.

But we got destroyed in our losses. With only the Lions game being close to respectable.

7-24
3-40
23-34
17-41

Every year it seems someone will chime in with how a handful of bad breaks could have the Vikings in first place, instead of .500. They never look at the flip side where they could also be in last place if it were not for another handful of plays. Last year that handful of plays skewed heavily in the Vikings favor.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 11:19:15 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

2023 was the most entertaining vikings' season in my lifetime - I've been following them since 1970....

those late-game wins were exciting as hell, and to keep winning them as we did was just remarkable....

the bills received the gifts in that game; 12 men on the field, and the juggled 20yd davis reception to our 40 -- both taking place in the final minute of regulation -- huge errors by the officials....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/20/2023 1:09:58 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 11:48:11 AM   
marty

I have a feeling next year's regular season will be quite exciting as well.

We're going to get aggressive plays from the defense, that will lead to big stops or turnovers.

And with too much aggression, we're going to wonder why the defense didn't play more conservatively, like "why did they let that guy wide open for an easy (deep?) completion.

I am excited as it seems like it will be such a contrast to last year's defense. And you wonder what sort of effect that might have on the offense's play calling.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 12:19:19 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

<shrugi

7-24
3-40
23-34
17-41

Yes they did. No doubt.

I was at the last 3 MNv Dal. games. In Big D was a hoot. The next one we got Fd (of course, imo) and that total poop show last year.

I was also at the AT fumble on the punt return. All close games except during our 13 win season game
Post #: 266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 12:53:32 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

2023 was the most entertaining vikings' season in my lifetime - I've been following them since 1970....

those late-game wins were exciting as hell, and to keep winning them as we did was just remarkable....

the bills received the gifts in that game; 12 men on the field, and the juggled 20yd davis reception to our 40 -- both taking place in the final minute of play -- huge errors by the officials....

Hard to beat the 98 season. Was awesome bitch slapping teams all season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 1:07:18 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

the bills received the gifts in that game; 12 men on the field, and the juggled 20yd davis reception to our 40 -- both taking place in the final minute of play -- huge errors by the officials....

Hard to beat the 98 season. Was awesome bitch slapping teams all season.

you're right about '98 - the big difference for me is that only in last 7-8 years do I get to watch every game....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 1:29:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

the bills received the gifts in that game; 12 men on the field, and the juggled 20yd davis reception to our 40 -- both taking place in the final minute of regulation -- huge errors by the officials....

And as someone else mentioned, the Bills TD on the long pass where the official took out our defender who was in perfect INT position.
Post #: 269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 1:33:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

You cant minimize the difference between the miraculous and the very good. Well … you shouldnt.

If youve seen the recent nfl.com video of JJ reviewing his best 2023 catches, he is still in disbelief that he came down with it.

Nonetheless, we weren't gifted with that catch. Certainly not in the way that Buffalo was gifted the long TD pass when the ref took out our defender in perfect INT position.
Post #: 270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 1:35:35 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

<shrugi

7-24
3-40
23-34
17-41

Every year it seems someone will chime in with how a handful of bad breaks could have the Vikings in first place, instead of .500. They never look at the flip side where they could also be in last place if it were not for another handful of plays. Last year that handful of plays skewed heavily in the Vikings favor.

Like Ricky said, there are plenty of people hereabouts looking "at the flip side", more than enough to offset the purple colored sunglasses folks.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 5/20/2023 1:36:47 PM >
Post #: 271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 10:39:21 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nonetheless, we weren't gifted with that catch. Certainly not in the way that Buffalo was gifted the long TD pass when the ref took out our defender in perfect INT position.

Referee interference happens across sports. We beat the Bills and that win was determined by a lot of factors by both teams obviously.

However, two extraordinary plays at critical moments swayed the game in our favor, more than the handfull of other key plays. Atleast IMO. Both were unbelievable, not to be believed, beyond belief, etc. Neither play happens without incredible efforts by Kendricks and JJ.

Lets give ourselves credit for earning the W but JJs ball not touching the ground and Kendrick’s ball touching the ground are perfect examples of the ball bouncing in our favor.

I get your issue with the word ‘gifted’ but we got very lucky. And not just once.
Post #: 272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2023 11:21:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Referee interference happens across sports. We beat the Bills and that win was determined by a lot of factors by both teams obviously.

However, two extraordinary plays at critical moments swayed the game in our favor, more than the handfull of other key plays. Atleast IMO. Both were unbelievable, not to be believed, beyond belief, etc. Neither play happens without incredible efforts by Kendricks and JJ.

Lets give ourselves credit for earning the W but JJs ball not touching the ground and Kendrick’s ball touching the ground are perfect examples of the ball bouncing in our favor.

I get your issue with the word ‘gifted’ but we got very lucky. And not just once.

This is the ball bouncing in someone's favor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0EkhkdQ1E

JJs catch was an incredible catch by the best WR in the game. The winning TD was a result of an incredibly bone headed play by the other team. The ref interference that game that gifted Buffalo a TD you might go an entire NFL season and not see a ref interference of that import.
Post #: 273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2023 3:12:45 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is the ball bouncing in someone's favor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0EkhkdQ1E

JJs catch was an incredible catch by the best WR in the game. The winning TD was a result of an incredibly bone headed play by the other team. The ref interference that game that gifted Buffalo a TD you might go an entire NFL season and not see a ref interference of that import.

Yes, you are right … the video is a purer example of a lucky bounce.

The ref play … not so much. It happens.

The catch? Beyond pure skill. Its a 1 out of 100 or whatever outcome. Same with the fumble. You simply can’t draw them up that way.

We won the game. With luck on our side.
Post #: 274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/21/2023 10:21:37 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Big fn deal.. if buffaloes “ luck/bounce” had gone against instead of for,

We would have been 12-5 not 13-4

STILL, COUSINS ****ED team and fans,AT HOME IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Nothing changes that fact.

Cousins Failed at home, to do anything but soil his pull-ups when the season was on the line.

We will never get “that lucky” or “ gifted” for an entire regular season as we were last season.

I’d rather have lost one more regular season game and got the win in the playoffs.

****ing regular season wins and Division Crowns ARE my minimum Expectations.

Failure in the playoffs has become so common, for the millennia and younger fans, they are Happy!

Just to get one more game!

One and Done!!
One and Done!!

With a winning record.

JFC..

AIM HIGHER.

Get rid of KFC, asap.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 5/21/2023 10:25:47 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode